Mazda Miata Owner's Club [MMOC] - Tuning Guide

Discussion in 'GT6 Tuning' started by MX5Racer69, Nov 30, 2013.

1. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    FRoSTeD likes this.
  2. Motor City Hami

Motor City Hami

I like it.

kolio123 likes this.
  3. kolio

kolio Premium

Will you be updating the OP yourself? I highly suggest you do this as you might have a lot of support from the thread watchers.
    Looking good so far!

4. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

I will. Maybe I can use the first post to link to the tunes added to this thread as we go along ... kind of like a table of contents. Thanks for the support guys.

5. kolio

kolio Premium

Yes that sounds like the best way to do it.

I love Miata's myself for some odd reason(?)! I will be very happy to share settings and tips when I get free time in GT6.

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  6. Zuel

Zuel (Banned)

@MX5Racer69 is this going to be a Club? If so have one of the guys to move there. I'll know where to come to now to have the Miata's set for the UMCDD.

Never mind its already there.

I see it happening that's why I asked @MX5Racer69

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  7. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Wasn't planning on starting a club. For now, having a tuning thread and participating in the Spec Miata series will be enough to keep me happy. But we will see. You never know.

8. mika012397

mika012397

nice love the mx5 planning to get a 1.8 second gen for my first car next year so definatly gonna keep an eye on this thread.

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  9. Streeto

Streeto

Should rename this "Girly Car Owners Club". :lol:

Just kidding... :lol:

:tup:

10. mika012397

mika012397

GTFO you 1000+ HP noob lol :D.

11. Streeto

Streeto

:lol:

mika012397 likes this.
  12. MadMike32

MadMike32

To be fair, one of my favorite cars in GT5 was a hybrid Miata that I commissioned, that was powered by a tuned Furai engine that produced a bit over a thousand horsepower. Never have I found a car that was more involved to drive. Had to be on my toes 101% of the time, but that's why it was so fun.

13. Fryto

Fryto

GTP MX5 TC league please :D!!! :gtpflag:

57sunburststrat and kolio123 like this.
  14. kolio

kolio Premium

I fail to accept.. :grumpy:

Streeto likes this.
  15. Wardez

Wardez Staff Emeritus

57sunburststrat and R1600Turbo like this.
  16. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Mazda Miata Roadster RS (NC) '07

[​IMG]

The following tune makes the following assumptions:

1.) All performance parts are installed (except aero, flat bottom or weight reduction.)
    2.) Sport soft tires
    3.) Relatively smooth track

Suspension

• Ride Height: 92F 92R
    • Spring Rate: 6.0F 6.25R
    • Dampers (Comp): 3F 4R
    • Dampers (Ext): 3F 4R
    • Anti-Roll: 5F 6R
    • Camber: 1.3F 1.3R
    • Toe: 0F 0.16R
    • Brake Balance: 3F 5R

Drivetrain Transmission (No changes, other than install of fully customizable)

Drivetrain

Differential Gear
    • - Initial Torque 20
    • - Acceleration Sensitivity 45
    • - Braking Sensitivity 25

Clutch & Flywheel - upgraded
    Drive Shaft - upgraded

Power

All upgraded.

Body

No Changes

Drivers Notes:

Test Time: Cape Ring Inside - 55.477

With all the power parts installed and a supercharger, the 07 NC Miata packs 357hp and weighs in at 1100kg. That gives a power to weight ratio of 3.08 kg/HP. And with those kind of numbers, folks might call it a girly car once. But after being passed a couple times, they will think again.

Tuning this car has gotten a lot harder in GT6. The work they did with the tire and suspension folks has paid off. And now, every little tweak seems to affect the other settings on the car. For that reason, I spent almost 6 hours on this tune tweaking one setting after another until I could not lower my lap times anymore. The general approach was to get the center of gravity lowered first, and then dial in everything to match. But that turned out to be problematic. And later I discovered that I would go faster with a little more ride height.

In the end, I ended up with a tune that I think is a compromise between flat out go-cart like handling and settings that are a little more forgiving. The ride height has been raised a bit and the suspension softened from earlier test values to induce a little more oversteer. Overall, I found that on the long sweepers, if I was smooth, that these settings resulted in an almost equal heating of the outside tires (with a slight weight towards the front tires to compensate for the heat generated in the rears under power). Likewise, the camber is relatively minimal due to testing that seemed to favor less camber on the short track (Cape Ring Inside).

In summary, this is a tune that I think will work well on smooth tracks without a lot of bumps. And, since the suspension is more stiff than the stock one, it is a little less forgiving. So drivers using this tune should really try to keep it smooth and avoid the curbing if at all possible. Hope you find those lost tenths of a second out there. And if you like the tune, please let me know.

MX

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    davids likes this.
  17. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Good work. :tup: I went a slightly different route on modifications, but the suspension still worked out good. :)

18. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

Nice job MX5. I'm looking forward to giving your tune a drive! :cheers:

19. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

So did you try it out? Any feedback? What worked for you and what didn't you like? I'm curious.

20. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Yeah I ran 3-4 laps around Ascari with it. Everything seemed ok, but it might be a bit soft in the spring rate department. That's not to say that makes it bad, I thought it handled ok on sport hards. (I thought SS tires were too much grip for my tastes) :tup:

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  21. Wardez

Wardez Staff Emeritus

Wow super nice to see you again John! are you planning on doing any league appearances again? :D :D :D

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  22. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm always second guessing myself. I'll try it again later with stiffer springs again. I tried it harder once before and the car seemed to transfer all the energy very quickly to the outside tires making them heat up too quickly on the big sweepers. But I tweaked so many things so many times, I think there is value in trying a few more micro adjustments.

What's up Spec? Fancy meeting you here. :)

23. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

Wardez, it's tough to say if I'll be doing too much league stuff. I just don't have time to practice. I'm enjoying offline GT6 at the moment because I can come and go as I please. I've done very little driving (sim and real) recently, so I'm as rusty as they come. We'll see how things progress and what kind of time I have in the future.

Great thread MX5, I'll be hanging around to see what you've got cooking with all things Miata. :tup:

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  24. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Roger that. By the way Spec, back in the day ... seeing the photos of you in the Spec Miata was a huge influence on me to buy the MX5. I used to be an S2000 guy until I started reading about the Miatas. Been happy with mine ever since. Hope you find some time to join us online sometime.

25. APTmax

APTmax

very intruiging tuning method, i will have to give this a try

26. gt4god

gt4god

Hey, great tune. I ran about 7 or 8 laps around Cape Ring Inside to test against your time for comparison sake and I ran a 55.587. I thought the car handled great in it's current form. I could probably trim a bit more time off if I'd clean up my lines but thats error on my part. Look forward to more tunes from you. Thanks.

MX5Racer69 likes this.
  27. Deftquiver

Deftquiver

Been running online in a 480PP NA(First generation) Miata and destroying a lot of super cars on some of the less power dependent tracks like Willow Springs... Oh and it's pink.

It's a bit squirly, but I like the throttle lift oversteer. Tune is nothing special, so I'm excited to see what some of you guys can come up with.

28. MX5Racer69

MX5Racer69

Thanks for the feedback. Glad I was able to help. I hope to be doing a lot of Miata rooms online soon, especially during Christmas. What will be amazing is if folks know about these tunes and come race, the racing should be extremely tight. And those are always the best races, imho.

Awesome. I assume you're using the Turbo right? I'm working on an NA tune right now using the supercharger and it has a lower PP. I'm about halfway done with it. I'm putting more time into the NA tune because I suspect that there will be a lot of events and series coming up featuring the hidden livery cars. So I'm really taking my time with this one. Had to quit last night because I was getting tuning fatigue, lol. Once my lap times start getting slower no matter what I do (even putting the tune back to it's fastest setting), then it's clear that the car is getting slower due to driver fatigue and not tuning adjustments. That's when it's time to park the car in the virtual garage and go to bed. Will work on it some more tonight.

29. Deftquiver

Deftquiver

Awesome. I assume you're using the Turbo right? I'm working on an NA tune right now using the supercharger and it has a lower PP. I'm about halfway done with it. I'm putting more time into the NA tune because I suspect that there will be a lot of events and series coming up featuring the hidden livery cars. So I'm really taking my time with this one. Had to quit last night because I was getting tuning fatigue, lol. Once my lap times start getting slower no matter what I do (even putting the tune back to it's fastest setting), then it's clear that the car is getting slower due to driver fatigue and not tuning adjustments. That's when it's time to park the car in the virtual garage and go to bed. Will work on it some more tonight.[/quote]

I went with a supercharger as well. I like the more predictable powerband. I'm excited to see what a tune that's actually had some time put into it can do.

30. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Can I get your input on a tune? I based it off of real life spring rates (FM Vmaxx Track) and FM's recommended alignment settings. I think it understeers a tad, but maybe the shock settings need to be adjusted. I couldn't find real life settings for those, so I just set them all the same. This is for the NA Miata, bolt on modifications with no engine tunes or forced induction.

Ride Height: 92/95
    Spring Rate: 9.00 / 6.00
    Compression: 4/4
    Extension: 4/4
    Sway Bars: 4/3
    Camber: 1.0 / 1.5
    Toe: .15/.15

Adjustable LSD: Stock settings