Mazda sticks with rotary power

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 877 comments

If it's a sports car with a similar ethos to the 7, it should be called a 7. If it has GT-R rivaling, supercar-esque performance, then RX-9 might be more appropriate.
I don't think this is a true RX-7. It seems just as it is. A super car more than a sports car. It can have the RX-9 designation.

That's how I feel about it.

A SENIOR Mazda official has confirmed that the company is developing an electric vehicle that is set for release in 2019.

Mazda Motor Corporation senior managing executive officer of research and development Kiyoshi Fujiwara confirmed to Australian journalists at the Los Angeles motor show that the company would build the car in time for a 2019 debut, but that the details were still “a big secret”.

Mr Fujiwara did confirm, however, that the car would likely carry a rotary engine as a range-extending generator, similar to the Mazda2 RE concept of 2013.

The revelation came during a discussion of Mazda’s growing relationship with fellow Japanese automaker Toyota, but Mr Fujiwara confirmed that the propulsion system would be made in-house, rather than sourced from elsewhere.

“At Mazda, we are developing an EV system by ourselves,” said Mr Fujiwara. “Sharing (with Toyota) is a discussion point. We have not decided yet, but we are discussing it.”

He refused to divulge details of the car’s potential size or range, but admitted that a larger car would likely require a new platform.

“If a huge battery array is needed, then yes (we will need a new platform)”, he said. “But higher performance will require a higher price, so we are carefully considering (our options).

Mr Fujiwara explained that an EV would help the company’s brand image, but would not become a “core product”.

He also said that electrification will only be a relatively small part of the total propulsion picture even in 2020, and the petrol engine will still play a major role.

“If battery costs could drop – say, one-fifth or one-tenth – it would be better (for EVs),” he said. “In 2020, for example, there will be five or 10 per cent of EVs in Europe, but the other 95 or 90 will still use internal combustion. It’ s still very important.”

Mr Fujiwara dismissed hybrid technology as not suiting Mazda’s current range of naturally aspirated engines, known as SkyActiv.

“Hybrid is a very complicated technology,” he said, “and if we can develop SkyActiv further, then we can do without it. We would need a milder type of hybrid for SkyActiv.”

And while Mr Fujiwara suggested the model would be on offer globally, it was not likely to suit all markets.

“Of course we need EV, but it depends on the markets,” he said, citing Norway as an example of an EV-ready environment.

Mazda Australia managing director Martin Benders is on record as suggesting the local market is not ready for electric vehicles, due to a lack of government assistance for potential customers.

Currently, Mazda offers the Mazda3 in Japan with the battery pack and electric motor from the Toyota Prius, teamed up with a detuned version of its 2.0-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine.

Sold as the Axela, it has been ruled out for Australia on several occasions by senior Mazda Australia management.

mazad_2_EV_large.jpg

Where's the article?

"Mr Fujiwara did confirm, however, that the car would likely carry a rotary engine as a range-extending generator"

Where did he say this?

I want to believe...but I don't see enough evidence...

Where's the article?

"Mr Fujiwara did confirm, however, that the car would likely carry a rotary engine as a range-extending generator"

Where did he say this?

I want to believe...but I don't see enough evidence...
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/0171E59B4A19ECC6CA25806E000B013C

Edit: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/AC2C9CD8C4361CCFCA25806F0002D403
DESPITE Mazda’s desire to resurrect the rotary engine, the project is still at an engineering crossroads, says the Japanese car-maker.

Mazda Motor Corporation’s senior managing executive officer (R&D) Kiyoshi Fujiwara told journalists at the Los Angeles motor show that “fundamental” construction issues are slowing progress.

“The issue is the fundamental structure of the rotary,” he said. “There are the usual issues around fuel economy and emissions, from our point of view, but the issue for us is the fundamental structural issues of the engine.

“We are developing all-new technology to break through these fundamental issues, for example the ignition system.”

Mr Fujiwara explained that the basic architecture of the born-again rotary is yet to be signed off, suggesting that using mild turbocharging to overcome the Wankel engine’s inherent disadvantages is just one plan among many being considered.

“Turbocharger systems are one of the answers to help smaller rotary engines, but I don’t know,” he said. “I cannot say at this moment, because it’s still underdevelopment about which system will be better. We have not decided yet.”

When asked if this meant that the rotary engine sports car was still some years away, he answered “yes.”

Mr Fujiwara confirmed, however, that Mazda’s commitment to the unusual engine format was due to the advantages of small size, low weight and high power at the expense of fuel economy and reliability.

For now, an exact timeline plotting the return of the unorthodox engine is unavailable.

“The RX Vision is the vision vehicle for our designers and our company, so therefore I could not say when, but in the future – I cannot say when – I would like to introduce the rotary engine into our RX Vision models,” he said.

“Today I cannot give you any specifications, but we are still developing this unique technology.”

It is likely that the first application - outside of the production of a very small range-extending engine that is unlikely to be connected to a drivetrain – will be a lightweight sports car in the same vein as the company’s RX-7 of the 1980s.

“The rotary engine is suited to performance car, and especially for the lightweight sports car, because of the low torque for the low rpm, therefore we are considering that kind of technology,” he said.

“For the Mazda fan or the rotary fan, (they are) waiting for pure sports car without electrification, I believe, because electrification requires the heavy weight of the battery and other systems.

“More pure high performance models would be required by Mazda fans. As a first step I would like to try pure styles. But with tougher regulations worldwide, we will need to add some technologies like electrification, in a smaller, smarter system.

“But the first step? Pure. That’s the key word.”

Mr Fujiwara confirmed that the company’s forthcoming electric vehicle would use a small rotary engine as a range extender, and suggested that – as indicated previously – Mazda is keen to offer the technology to other manufacturers.

“The range extender will be one of our unique technologies, therefore it can help to develop our brand image, especially for rotaries,” he said. He also revealed that some of Mazda’s bean-counters may not share the enthusiasm for the rotary project as the development team.

“All of the designers and all of the engineers love rotary and sports cars,” he smiled. “Some of the ‘calculators’, though…”

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish Mazda would just make up their mind about a new rotary sports car.

If they're talking about using rotary tech in a range extender, then why don't they use said rotary-hybrid drive to make a future RX model an i8 rival?

The CEO of Mazda is pretty adamant its not happening. I'd love to see them make another rotary car, or another REPU! Especially since I'd actually be in a position to buy one. But, personally, I dont see it happening. Maybe now that Trump is president and looking to roll back pollution laws, but as it stands know, I dont think they will get enough fuel economy or clean enough emissions out of the engine.

-> If ever Mazda going to tease us with another Rotary Concept. I believe Mazda should:

- Restore the original Furai Race Car.
- Introduce a Furai Road Car, as a supercar tease!
- A 90% production-ready RX-Vision2 (aka. RX-9) concept.
- Maybe an RX-5 Concept, a rotary-powered ND MX-5 hardtop coupe (aka. Roadster Coupe Type-S) concept!

:)

I'd say there's a good chance the Wankel-derived range extender is still coming. Having it run at a constant speed supposedly makes it easier to find the right compromises, particularly with respect to overall efficiency and emissions.

After that, there's still a lot of work to get a rotary to operate over a wide range of speeds and throttle (or equivalent) openings and not fall short of emissions, reliability and / or performance expectations.

But it'll be fun to see what the aftermarket does with the range extenders (the new direct injection, fancy ignition system and combustion chamber / general geometry changes will prove useful), and I bet Mazda will be watching closely, too...

Agreed as well. This is no less than the 5th time this rumor has gone around since they decommissioned the rx8.

I thinking Mazda will show RX# concept at the 2017 Tokyo auto show and maybe new rotary engine prototype cause there is rumors that Nissan, Honda and Toyota are all going to show their new sports car and Mazda doesn't want to be left out.

Not really news. Officials I talked to a few months ago have hinted that they will show something at the Tokyo Show, but refuse to provide details.

Hell, I could have given the same guesstimates on power (well... I did when talking to one Mazda official back in Japan), but I reckon they could go either way.

I would personally like to see a hybrid rotary, with a powerful rotary generator running a four-wheel drive electric system through a supercapacitor bank.

But that's just me.

Back