Mazda Vision Coupe & Kai Concepts | Tokyo Motor Show 2017

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 36 comments
This may or may not be relevant to the Coupe Concept (And RX-Vision), but Mazda has apparently applied to re-trademark the MX-6 nameplate.

For those who are not familiar, the MX prefix has always been used for cars with sporting aspirations within Mazda's lineup (along with RX), with MX-6 being last used on the largely forgettable, but KL-ZE equipped blob shaped thing here:

So hopefully, the next MX-6 will be better! I've been dying to see a production Mazda coupe since they showed the RX-Vision concept 2 years ago.

Hey now, I quite like that generation of MX-6. I actually think it's very pretty - definitely cut from the same mould as the FD RX-7. The whole Mazda family at the time had a great cohesive look, without all looking like they were different sizes of the same car (which even the current Kodo range doesn't quite avoid, MX-5 aside).

The hope: That the MX-6 marks the return of a proper coupe to Mazda's range. The only disappointment is that V6s no longer feature, and that if it's say, Mazda 6-sized (as the name might imply) it'll be a big old beast. Now if they trademarked MX-3 again we'd really be talking.

The expectation: Possibly that Mazda has reapplied for the trademark as it intends to remanufacture some parts for it, like it's now doing with the NA Roadster? I'm not sure why the MX-6 would be next on the list, but it's a thought.

Honestly, considering how hyped the MX-5 is, I have zero idea why the MX-6 or the MX-3 for that matter isn't popular as well.

Hell, despite the MX-5s appearing alot in games, most you see of the MX-6 is
Midnight_Club_-_Street_Racing_Coverart.jpg

...And by extension, apparently a series of movies

Honestly, considering how hyped the MX-5 is, I have zero idea why the MX-6 or the MX-3 for that matter isn't popular as well.

Hell, despite the MX-5s appearing alot in games, most you see of the MX-6 is
Midnight_Club_-_Street_Racing_Coverart.jpg

...And by extension, apparently a series of movies
I guess I never noticed, but that game didn't actually have an MX-6 in it.

Mazda is definitely bringing something special to the Tokyo Motor Show next month. Rumors seem to be pointing towards an RX-type vehicle. I hope they don't call it an RX if it doesn't have a rotary engine though.

If Mazda makes an MX-6 powered by a mild-hybrid Inline 6 (current rumor) than that would be pretty damn cool. Knowing Mazda, it would very likely have a manual option as well. Price is projected to be around $45,000USD, which seems about right for what they are targeting I think. I just hope its half as beautiful as the RX-Vision.

I wonder if Mazda is planning to release two models:
A rotary (hybrid) powered coupe based on the RX-Vision
A inline-6 (hybrid) powered 4-door coupe based on the Vision Coupe

Whatever it is, the last two concepts are dreamy. Make sure it has those signature round tailights from either one.

Back