McLaren 650S - 625C - 675LT- 675LT Spider

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 270 comments
This appears to be another attempt to ape the German's successful product scheme of niches within niches. One step above the 12C, a few steps below the P1. I'm guessing we'll see some special edition faster versions.

It looks like the P1's fat ugly sister from the front/side, from the back it's a 12c. I don't like it, makes no sense to me that they would release this car as not a replacement but addition to the 12c... while it only costs £20,000 more and has much better performance. It comes with carbon ceramic brakes which are a £10,000 option on the 12c..

It makes the 12c obsolete but they are still going to sell the 12c. That said, I think the 12c is a better looking car! I love the P1 but it just doesn't work for me with the P1 front end slapped onto a 12c, looks ugly and weird.

I like the front.

Especially like the color. However Mclaren could have definitely done more to differentiate the models.

Is it a P1?

Mclaren-650S-6%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Is it a MP4-12C?

Mclaren-650S-5%25255B2%25255D.jpg

No, it's the new McLaren 650S!

Mclaren-650S-2%25255B2%25255D.jpg

They're making a more hardcore 12C, think of it as a 458 Speciale competitor. Would have made more sense to call it the '12C 650S' rather than positioning it as a new model.

After hearing their talk about the car today, its not a 12C Speciale, its basically what they consider a "different car" compared to the 12C, which is complete bogus. They took the 12C, did some minor engine tweaks to get a few horespowers and torques, fiddled with suspension a little, added alcantara as standard, slapped on a P1 nose and a GT3 style rear end and thats a completely new car?

Come on... lazy Mclaren. Such a perfect example of what a soul-less company this is. Hey, people like the P1, but its a million bucks and sold out, so lets slap that pretty nose on the front of a 12C and call it a new model! Yay!

After hearing their talk about the car today, its not a 12C Speciale, its basically what they consider a "different car" compared to the 12C, which is complete bogus. They took the 12C, did some minor engine tweaks to get a few horespowers and torques, fiddled with suspension a little, added alcantara as standard, slapped on a P1 nose and a GT3 style rear end and thats a completely new car?

Come on... lazy Mclaren. Such a perfect example of what a soul-less company this is. Hey, people like the P1, but its a million bucks and sold out, so lets slap that pretty nose on the front of a 12C and call it a new model! Yay!
I don't think "soulless" is the correct descriptor to hang on them over this. They've been much more imaginative about it than, say, Aston.

I love the new look with the P1 front. The regular 12c was too bland and plain in the front in my opinion and the reason why I wasn't crazy about it. Yes it's lazy if its intended as a stand alone model and its hard to justify it as such with the same exact design of the 12c with upgraded front end. It should be an MP4-12c 650s. Either way I really like it.

I liked the 458 Italia a lot more than the 12c for styling, driving experience, and that musical V8 note, but now the 650s is right up there for me (minus the exhaust note). The 12c was so impressive from a performance standpoint, the 650s should be a beast.

Can't wait to see the 650s, Huracan, and 458 Speciale go at it.

I will have to see this car in action before I can say I like it. It seems too much like a cheap facelift that GM would have done in the 90s. Everything new is underneath except for a new front end.

I saw this on the Top Gear feed, and I must say that I am genuinely impressed. I had never thought that McLaren couldn't improve the P1, but it turns out that they did just that.

gorgeous car I'd buy one in a second if i could but am i the only one who absolutely HATES those wheels? they look like those old Konig's everybody use to have back in the day. ugh I'd have them changed out before i left the dealership lol.

Love the Spyder, not so much focus on the p12c looks. Bright cours match mclaren, and orange is the team racing colours.

Looks a bit better out in the wild than it did on the show circuit (unsurprisingly), but I still think it's an odd choice for McLaren to make. Also, I think the criticism leveled at the 12C's styling at launch ("derivative", "boring") will be replaced by praise a decade or so from now. It's a clean, well-judged design; nothing fussy about it like the P1 and 650S. The F1 didn't need fuss, either.

How inspired.
Also, I think the criticism leveled at the 12C's styling at launch ("derivative", "boring") will be replaced by praise a decade or so from now

A decade from now? I am already praising it. The 650 S looks like the result of a backyard front-end swap. I would've expected something like that from one of the gaudy "luxury" tuners like Masonry or Nimrod Performance, but not from McLaren.

It's almost as if they spotted a serious flaw with the 12C before anyone else and the 650 is an elaborate cover up of it.

Back