McLaren F1 GTR Gr.3 vs Gr.2

• Thread starter moby323
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
Am I correct that the Mclaren GTR gr.3 is considered unimpressive, while the gr. 2 is really good? And therefor is the ‘97 worth 11 million credits?

Last edited by a moderator:
They actually have pretty similar performance, the Gr. 3 is one of the quickest (before BoP, supposedly BoP ruins it though) and the Gr. 2 is pretty much the slowest Gr. 2 car. The Gr. 2 is the better car as you might expect but I like them both and have multiple of each.

They actually have pretty similar performance, the Gr. 3 is one of the quickest (before BoP, supposedly BoP ruins it though) and the Gr. 2 is pretty much the slowest Gr. 2 car. The Gr. 2 is the better car as you might expect but I like them both and have multiple of each.
I assume the bolded is with BOP enabled as the 2008 GT500 cars are actually the slowest Gr.2 cars in the game with the NSX being the slowest one unless a turbo is installed.

The 1997 GTR is definitely the better model as I feel it has better handling as the CLK-LM as the CLK-LM is too stiff and has a slightly larger turning radius than the '97 F1 GTR.

The F1 GTR 1995 is actually abit too fast for Gr.3 on stock settings IMO, though the handling is nothing special. The Gr.2 F1 GTR has really good handling but is slightly slower than the CLK-LM in a straight line which I guess kind of makes them both equal in-game despite the CLK-LM decimating the F1 GTR IRL. With that being said I personally think the F1 GTR '97 is worth $11,000,000 as you can get the credits back very quickly and easily with a Sardegna races and maybe 1 or 2 Spa races for variety.

Am I correct that the Mclaren GTR gr.3 is considered unimpressive, while the gr. 2 is really good? And therefor is the ‘97 worth 11 million credits?

Thr Gr. 3 is a very good Gr. 3 entry. The Gr. 2 is MUCH faster AND much better to drive though...

The F1 GTR with the BMW Schnitzer is faster than the F1 GTR with the Kokusai Kaihatsu Racing livery in both the game and IRL, by a considerable margin, which is to be expected.

In terms of just the game itself, the BoP ruins the Gr. 3 F1 GTR, because without BoP, it is actually one of the fastest Gr.3 car in the game, if not the fastest, but it's handling is not as smooth as the other Gr.3 cars.

The Gr.2 F1 GTR is faster than the 2008 GT500 cars but slower than the CLK-LM and the 2016 GT500 cars. With BoP, the Gr.2 F1 GTR is arguably the slowest car of the Gr.2 class.

This is just one of the issues with having cars in the same Fictional Class when they are simply completely different. In the same way you can NEVER have a good BoP with LMP1 cars and Gr.C cars, you are definitely not going to find a good BoP with 90's GT1 cars and late 2000s GT500 cars. They all have vastly different philosophies... In fact, the GT500 cars are basically GT cars with lots of Aero bits while the GT1s are pretty much full blown prototypes.

Gr.3 and Gr.4 can find balance because the cars are all based on road going versions which helps, but even then you have a few oddballs (Veyron Gr.4 for example, either being terrible or the best thing ever). They are also based on very similar set of regulations (GT3, GTE, GT4).

Last edited:
Which one is available right now in the Legends Dealer?
The BMW McLaren F1 GTR 97' Race car.
McLaren-F1-GTR-Longtail-58317.jpg

Last edited:
The GR3 cannot run a BOP race effectively. There are no GR2 events. For credit grinding: Choose the GR2.

Last edited:
I tested all 3 on Tsukuba with RM tyres. The '95 F1 did a 0.51.482, the CLK LM a 0.49.232 and the '97 F1 did a 0.48.961.
Tsukuba is a very small track, probably not the best suited for these types of cars. Once the CLK can stretch its legs, it leaves the McLaren(s) in the dust.

Tsukuba is a very small track, probably not the best suited for these types of cars. Once the CLK can stretch its legs, it leaves the McLaren(s) in the dust.
Nope. Not even close. Once you actually max the cars, the F1 is still quicker. Case in point: even on the Nordschleife. Check my playlists on YT.

Last edited:
Nope. Not even close. Once you actually max the cars, the F1 is still quicket. Vase in point: even on the Nordschleife. Check my playlists on YT.
I'll take your word for it. Literally 100% of what I do in this game is Sport mode so it's BoP'd, which of course influences the performance of the cars. In Sport mode, the McLaren F1s aren't very good but in 1P they very well may be.

I'll take your word for it. Literally 100% of what I do in this game is Sport mode so it's BoP'd, which of course influences the performance of the cars. In Sport mode, the McLaren F1s aren't very good but in 1P they very well may be.
The F1 is barely quicker though, and not as easy to push as the Merc. So the Merc might still be the car of choice for you...

Is the GR.3 F1 at least fast in a straight line anymore?

Back