McLaren in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 483 comments
  • 23,179 views
The 1997 spec F1 GTR is much slower (over a lap) than the Toyota GT-ONE.

At Le Mans the GT-ONE did a 3.29 in 1999 were as the F1 GTR did a 3.45 in 1997.

To give you an idea of how far the GT cars have progressed, the Works Corvette C5-R managed a 3.49 at the recent test day despite being in GTS spec (1100kg, 620BHP) as opposed to the F1 GTR which was in GT1 spec (900KG, 650BHP).

The new GTS spec Maserati MC12, Lamborghini R-GT and Prodrive Aston Martin DB9 should be nudging the 3.45 mark in 2005.

The orignal short tail F1 GTR lapped around the 3.50-3.55 mark at Le Mans.

Some people are obsessed with top speed, but that is useless on the track if the chassis/aero package is not up to scratch.

For example the road going Mercedes CLK-GTR would be significantly quicker around a track than the original F1 road car despite having a much slower top speed.
 
There you go then, thanks for that info JAGUAR and welcome to GTP.
 
It looks like we'll definitely get the Fina McLaren.:) I always wanted to play the road version, after seeing it driven round tracks on TV shows. It certainly was stunning. I hope we get other liveried F1's. A GTPlanet version is an excellent idea.

Interestingly, the new Mercedes SLR McLaren was driven on "Top Gear"(UK TV show)last Sunday. The presenter said the new car was better, and that the F1 was a bit unstable and lifted at speed. I don't remember that being said when the car came out.

For those that didn't see the program, the Mercedes has ceramic brake discs,(which they say have no feel) and an air brake. The car braked from 120mph to zero in the space a normal car brakes from 60. Stunning. :eek: I want the Mercedes in just for the air brake.

The F1 would be the only car with an engine bay covered in Gold. The engine bay should open as spins, to show off the Gold.;) :lol:
 
phook Ferrari's, we have the best street car in the universe!:D
 
I'd like to see the Maserati MC12 make it in too, by all accounts that car can fly.

Thanks for the lap time info Jaguar, and welcome to GTP.

I'd still like to hear from some Prologue owners about it, but considering this game is meant to be realistic, sounds like the McLaren won't be eclipsing the TS020 or the R390.
 
if you look at the F1 Fina pic from E3 u'll notice it says "Race Car" underneath mclaren. other racing cars don't have this, only ones with a road car counterpart.

so i believe the f1 road car is in it.
 
"For those that didn't see the program, the Mercedes has ceramic brake discs,(which they say have no feel) and an air brake. The car braked from 120mph to zero in the space a normal car brakes from 60. Stunning. I want the Mercedes in just for the air brake."


if you want someting to compare with, you need double the
distance to brake a 911 turbo or gallardo from the same speed!

I really hope the SLR will be in GT4!! :)
 
As an update to this topic, I can recall either EGM or GamePro talking about possible cars to be in GT3. And in much the same way as what we envision hopefully makes it, one of the cars rumored to be in GT3 was the McLaren F1. And I'll tell you something. I would have loved to rip up Tokyo R246 in a sexy McLaren F1. And I'll tell you another thing, had McLaren been in GT3 and failed to show up for GT4, GT3 would be McLaren'sAngel's favorite GT game. And much to the delight of the machine, when you are on the GTPlanet front page, you look down at the Gran Turismo 4 database, what car do you see? The Fina McLaren F1 race car. The final game will probably call it the "McLaren F1 LM Race Car," to be politically correct. But in any event, McLaren looks like it's going to be in GT4. I'd rather buy one off the lot than unlocking it as a one-time only deal (for example, the cars that don't have a championship race series. You unlock them one time, and if you sell them, you may never get it back. A sometimes TERRIBLE flaw with GT3).

McLaren Formula One race cars would also be nice to add. Any more of you want to speak out about the McLaren F1? Would McLaren like to go crazy about this car like those girls go crazy on MTV's TRL? Reply now, for the sake of millions of Gran Turismo fans.
 
JohnBM01
As an update to this topic, I can recall either EGM or GamePro talking about possible cars to be in GT3. And in much the same way as what we envision hopefully makes it, one of the cars rumored to be in GT3 was the McLaren F1. And I'll tell you something. I would have loved to rip up Tokyo R246 in a sexy McLaren F1. And I'll tell you another thing, had McLaren been in GT3 and failed to show up for GT4, GT3 would be McLaren'sAngel's favorite GT game. And much to the delight of the machine, when you are on the GTPlanet front page, you look down at the Gran Turismo 4 database, what car do you see? The Fina McLaren F1 race car. The final game will probably call it the "McLaren F1 LM Race Car," to be politically correct. But in any event, McLaren looks like it's going to be in GT4. I'd rather buy one off the lot than unlocking it as a one-time only deal (for example, the cars that don't have a championship race series. You unlock them one time, and if you sell them, you may never get it back. A sometimes TERRIBLE flaw with GT3).

McLaren Formula One race cars would also be nice to add. Any more of you want to speak out about the McLaren F1? Would McLaren like to go crazy about this car like those girls go crazy on MTV's TRL? Reply now, for the sake of millions of Gran Turismo fans.

Hiya! :D :O :lol:

If McLaren F1 was on GT3...I would still be playing the game much more often then my Final Fantasy games :O But now that since McLaren F1 is in GT Prologue, but its the LM Fina version, I still go CRAZY over it! :O ooOOO my Cutey McCUTEY is all painted in racing paint to win for mEEEE! :O :O And if I was to see all the McLaren F1 models in the GT4 car dealer menus or EVEN in REAL LIFE...I am sure I would scream in joy and DEMENDING TO TOUCH THE CAR AND CRY!!! :lol: my legs will begin to feel numb as I fall down slowly with my hands trying to reach the car as I begin to FAINT....and FAINt....and faint....*closes eyes and collapse*

P.S. I'm still trying to finish up the Official Inside Story of the McLaren F1 so I will release details and features of the McCutey F1 :O that I am sure will not be found on the net I hope!
 
If only I were a McLaren F1 by its lonesome and McLaren'sAngel came by...

Anyhow, as I've said, the car has proven itself very well. Won Le Mans in its first try. Has that famed BMW motor. A British supercar with a German heart. And all of which are a tribute to the great Bruce McLaren. It's also a tribute to the styling from Gordon Murray. Murray will likely concentrate on smaller cars now after reading an English car magazine at Barnes & Noble once.

So while the 24 Hours of Le Mans is still underway, I'm trying to bring up as much Le Mans as possible until the race is done for. I love this race, it's a great race, and all I want you to do is share it with me. So it's only fitting this McLaren F1 would make for a wonderful machine to put in GT4. Now, I'm not sure if the Fina McLaren was the one that won Le Mans in its first year. I think if the car was either renovated or updated, it can still be a very viable contender at any road race it enters, even Le Mans. So Le Mans still goes on, thanks for your commentary, McLaren, and others.

Just for fun- is that you in your avatar, Miss McLaren? I probably figured it's not you, but I'm just asking.
 
This FINA F1 is one of the later F1 GTR's to race at LeMans and is not the one that won LeMans on the cars debut.
 
That's Yuna, falling from a tower in Bevelle after escaping Seymour, she's about to be caught by her aeon Valefor.

(Play Final Fantasy X)
 
Eagle
That's Yuna, falling from a tower in Bevelle after escaping Seymour, she's about to be caught by her aeon Valefor.

(Play Final Fantasy X)

Hiya! :D :O :lol:

Yep yep! :O Eagle got it right. Its Yuna from Final Fantasy X. I really luv final fantasy series and right now trying to beat Final Fantasy VIII, which I never finished yet. That Avatar shown is the part or section of the game where Yuna and Seymour were going to marry until Tidus and company came to take her away. She eventually got away and threatened that she will kill herself by jumping off at the edge of the Bevelle wedding tower. She does and along the way down she summons Valefor to safely catch her and fly her away! :O
 
what does the car mclaren have to with Yuna?? btw great game i love FF-X and X2 really a lot, one of my favorite games :)
 
Well, I didn't know Miss McLaren. Last FF I really got into was Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 in America), but I did play FF8 with Squall. Didn't get real far, however.

Anyhow, back to the topic. And thanks for clearing up the car I was trying to discuss, Live4Speed. Thank you very much. If we have anyone who has greatly contributed to this topic, or at least has something to contribute, let it be McLaren'sAngel. And whether or not people would vote her first post on this site (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1100734&postcount=3) for "GTPlanet Post of the Year," she surely said a few things among others. I mean, the F1 is a ride you can take to the street and the track. Basically, you have a race car for the road. And unlike most superexotics, this one is from Britain (I was referting to Italy when I said "most superexotics"). This big book I have of sports cars was right about something. McLaren is a race car manufacturer, and been that way since the 1960s at least. The F1 appeared in 1993 and remains as one of the world's most powerful cars, if not THE most powerful. The only car today that has more horsepower is the Ferrari Enzo with about 650. But the McLaren F1 has shown its stripes in road racing. About the only thing it doesn't have claims to is a GT500 manufacturers championship for the JGTC (or prove me wrong).

So if I were PD, I'd welcome the McLaren. As I said, if you can't get Ferrari or Porsche (or even Lamborghini), McLaren is always a good choice. I know Code_kev or somebody will come in when I say this, but PGR2 has the Ferrari Enzo. Well guess what? GT4's bringing McLaren. And as much as I wish I were a McLaren F1 so McLaren'sAngel can do whatever the hell she would do with an F1, I'd like to make a small just-for-fun quote to close this reply:

PGR2
GT4, your fanboyism is showing.

Why am I so crap at Laguna Seca? That corkscrew is hard as hell!

***PGR2, owned!!!***

(Thank you, Code_Kev!)
 
JohnBM01
The only car today that has more horsepower is the Ferrari Enzo with about 650.

What about the Keonigsegg CCV8S? It has 655hp, and it is now considered to be the most powerful production car in the world....
 
I'm sure a few people will point out there are actually more powerful road cars, I've seen Koenig and Lotec models that approach the 1000 horsepower mark. The Enzo actually has less BHP according to the tech details on the Ferrari site, and seems to weigh significantly more from what I can see. All this serves to underline is simply how good the McLaren F1 is and what an achievement in design it is.

PS Squall owns you all. And Zell. Oh and Laguna, he's so pathetically cute. And I want to move to Fisherman's Horizon.
 
Koenig CCV8S? Wasn't that car an unlockable car in "Pro Race Driver?" It looked like a Porsche 962, but I'm not sure. I may have to do some searching online to learn more about it. I don't know too much, but I think the reason why people make such a big deal about the McLaren F1 is because (and I know only a little, so please correct me politely) the F1 has that big motor in the back, and its capabilities are almost as close as you can get to a race car. I mean, how many cars can you honestly say that "with this as a daily driver (yeah right. A superexotic DAILY DRIVER. Geez...), I basically have a race car to drive around town." Maybe in the "Cars in General" topic, I should revive my "McLaren F1 vs. Ferrari Enzo" thread and link back here so you all can... never mind! By the power of the Internet, here's the link. McLaren'sAngel, defend your favorite car of all time at this link:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37089

But anyhow, I think the McLaren F1 is not only powerful, but it is so balanced that it is literally a race car you can own. It's a damn near Le Mans racer that you can have for 6 or 7 figure pricing. It is what a race car for the street should be (that is, if you DON'T consider Formula One as the can't-miss form of race cars). That is, a GT/sportscar racer you can have. There are even GTR versions of it, I can recall such models released after playing "Need for Speed: High Stakes" and outrunning the cops (in the game, that is). Anyhow, I must be going. See you!
 
Koenig do indeed make their own 962 variant.

I think where the F1 outdoes a lot of cars is the fact it actually looks like a road car, within reason. A Toyota GT-ONE only ever looks like it was made as a race car, but an F1 is different. I think the curb weight has a lot to do with it.
 
And what about that beautiful Mercedes SLR?

Beautiful?

Merc SLR - Engineered by Gordon Murray - Styled by Liberace!



Koenig CCV8S? Wasn't that car an unlockable car in "Pro Race Driver?" It looked like a Porsche 962


I think your getting a little mixed up there! Koenig (the German tuners) do(did?) produce a road legal 962 (like the one in Race Driver) But the CCV8S is by a Swedish company called Koenigsegg(sp?) and has nothing to do with the Porsche 962.


I think the reason that the Mclaren F1 is so popular is because it was originally made only as the ultimate road car, and was only produced as a race car when owners badgered them to do so. There have been quicker/more powerful road cars since then, Merc CLK LM, Porsche GT1, Toyota GT1 etc - but they've been race cars modified as road cars, and built in very small amounts (usualy only a few to meet homolgation requirements)

I was at Silverstone the other weekend and was lucky enough to see both Ferrari Enzo and Mclaren F1 road cars. The Mclaren is a nice compact little Mid-engined car - about the same size as a MR2 (perhaps a little wider) But the Enzo is Massive!!! I'm not suprised that its so much heavier (and therefore slower) than the 10 year-old McLaren, when its as large as it is - i wouldn't want to try driving one on a narrow road.
 
I must make this quick cuz I am at school.....SSSSSssshhh! *scans the room for teachers approaching* >_> <_< O_O :O Anyways about that thread of McCutey F1 vs Enzo, I dont think I can defend Mc F1 becuz its not fair that I dont know enough of the enzo to compare, but I would still pick the F1 over the Enzo because of its history and I like how it looks better and all. And McLaren F1 will always be my baby...even if I never get the chance to own the Cute one :O :O TEACHER!!! *logs off and pretends to go work*
JohnBM01
Koenig CCV8S? Wasn't that car an unlockable car in "Pro Race Driver?" It looked like a Porsche 962, but I'm not sure. I may have to do some searching online to learn more about it. I don't know too much, but I think the reason why people make such a big deal about the McLaren F1 is because (and I know only a little, so please correct me politely) the F1 has that big motor in the back, and its capabilities are almost as close as you can get to a race car. I mean, how many cars can you honestly say that "with this as a daily driver (yeah right. A superexotic DAILY DRIVER. Geez...), I basically have a race car to drive around town." Maybe in the "Cars in General" topic, I should revive my "McLaren F1 vs. Ferrari Enzo" thread and link back here so you all can... never mind! By the power of the Internet, here's the link. McLaren'sAngel, defend your favorite car of all time at this link:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37089

But anyhow, I think the McLaren F1 is not only powerful, but it is so balanced that it is literally a race car you can own. It's a damn near Le Mans racer that you can have for 6 or 7 figure pricing. It is what a race car for the street should be (that is, if you DON'T consider Formula One as the can't-miss form of race cars). That is, a GT/sportscar racer you can have. There are even GTR versions of it, I can recall such models released after playing "Need for Speed: High Stakes" and outrunning the cops (in the game, that is). Anyhow, I must be going. See you!

Hiya! :D :O :lol:
 
"Hiya!" to you too, Miss McLaren. Nice to have you reply to my topics.

And as far as the CCV8 S, I looked at it online, and that machine looks like something I seen in "Sport Compact Car" magazine back in 1999 or 2000. It was called the Vision K/2. It looked like the car was based off of that concept. But anyhow, thanks to the power of the Internet, I didn't find the road legal Porsche 962 (thanks, Yahoo and Google!).
 
JohnBM01

..if your still looking for a road legal 962/956 then try looking up a 'Dauer 962'

Another German tuner who takes old 962 racers and modifies them for the road.
 
I would like to thank this website (http://www.speedlegends.com/misc/lemanswins.htm) for this bit of McLaren trivia.

Bruce McLaren won Le Mans only once, and that was in 1966 when he paired with C. Amon (don't know him, I'm afraid). The car that won Le Mans was a Ford GT-40 Mark 2. Then flash forward 29 years later to 1995. The McLaren F1 GTR made its debut and won the race outright. The winning team was Yannick Dalmas, JJ Letho, and M. Sekiya.

Okay, there you have it.
 
OK, the point of this thread is... ???

Asking if McLaren belongs in the ulitmate automobile game is like asking if the Green Bay Packers should be included in an NFL game.

Maybe we should start some new threads:
Ferrari in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?
Porsche in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?

Sorry to be a biatch... but if you want McLaren'sAngel to reply to you just PM her dude ;)
 
JohnBM01
"Hiya!" to you too, Miss McLaren. Nice to have you reply to my topics.

And as far as the CCV8 S, I looked at it online, and that machine looks like something I seen in "Sport Compact Car" magazine back in 1999 or 2000. It was called the Vision K/2. It looked like the car was based off of that concept. But anyhow, thanks to the power of the Internet, I didn't find the road legal Porsche 962 (thanks, Yahoo and Google!).

I think that the car that you are referring to is the concept form of the Keonigsegg CCV8S. The actual thing looks like this and has almost no resemblance to the Vision K2....

k_ccv8s.jpg
 
Thank you, my fellow Houstonian. If you ask me, I think if Honda took a few cues from that car you posted, the NSX could be saved. If they can make it an affordable exotic (like the Mazda RX-7), the NSX could take back the crown of "best Honda offering."

The point of this thread is to talk about McLaren in GT4. McLaren'sAngel is my GTP buddy. If I wanted to make a topic to dedicate to a friend of mine, I'd do that elsewhere. I'm just asking if McLarens in GT4 are a great asset or a great shame asset. And, should there be more McLarens? I mean, the title speaks for itself.

If GT4 wants to include the Le Mans-winning F1 GTR, here is more trivia. You may have seen the Ueno Clinic McLaren online. I want to say it was #55, but I forget. But that black race car won Le Mans with the winning team I mentioned. I mean, I'd welcome McLaren to the crazy world of Gran Turismo. McLaren is a race car maker, so their street car lineup will be pretty low. But if you exclude the race cars, you'd might as well take out Pescarolo. So, I'd welcome McLaren. Would you?
 
The concept version looked a lot less like the K2 than the production version.
Here we have the Koenigsegg CC concept built in 1998.
PicFetch


And here we have the Vision industries K2.
PicFetch
 
live4speed
The concept version looked a lot less like the K2 than the production version.
Here we have the Koenigsegg CC concept built in 1998.
PicFetch
I can see why there reference to the NSX-ness of the design, albeit i like this much better...

So far i'm feeling the look of the HSC... which is apparently the direction the new NSX is going to take.

Back on topic... of course McLaren deserves to be in GT... i think that statement goes without saying (like the basis of this thread), as far as what we'll get... the Fina F1 in GT4P and maybe the road version... and likely the SLR (which will prolly show up in the mercedes garage)... would be nice to get a few different paint schemes on the F1 racer... but i wouldn't hold your breath.
 
Back