McLaren in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 483 comments
  • 23,179 views
i'd love to see the maclaren f1 roadcar as well, but as the game yet only features a "fina le mans longtail" or whatever it is called, it seems as if they don't have the mclaren license? or is the car called "mclaren" in the prologue?

the mclaren f1 is definatly one of the greatest cars ever built, it is true that every supercar on earth is compared to the mclaren.
i just bought the newest issue of evo magazine and they test the new porsche carrera gt and of course they brought an f1 as well to compare the gt against it...

lots of supercars come and go, but the mclaren f1 is still hard to beat.
 
The Carrera GT didn't beat it. But it's a dam fine car and holds the TopGear track record on their table. The only cars to beat that time ever on TopGear ar cars like the Radical SR2 and variouse other light weight GT's like the Jaguar Palmer JP1 and SuperSeven type cars such as the Westfield F400 ect.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol:

Yea! I also got that Evo magazine too! I am not a normal Evo subscriber or a buyer, but I read them when I see something interesting on the front page and table of contents. I picked this one up because it read "PORSCHE v MCLAREN" :D I really enjoyed reading the comparison and was very surprise to see how Evo compares it to the McCutey! :O It's very interesting how even today, supercars are being compared to the McLaren F1 because of how it sets a new standard to "SUPERCAR" :O :O
 
live4speed
The concept version looked a lot less like the K2 than the production version.
Here we have the Koenigsegg CC concept built in 1998.
PicFetch


And here we have the Vision industries K2.
PicFetch

No, no, no, no... the concept verison that he is referrefing to is this one.... the 2001 concept

k_cc.jpg


Well, I'm getting way out of topic here so i'll just stop there....

Nonetheless, I do think that McLaren is a great addition to the GT series, and hope that the road verison can also be add....
 
As an update, I finally found out what car I was talking about from "Pro Race Driver." The car in question is called the Koenig C62. This was the machine that looked more like a Porsche 962. So that settles it. In the meanwhile, I'll find some other topic to fiddle around with.
 
if you have some spare money left...the longtail fina mclaren is for sale here... :D
 
vladimir
if you have some spare money left...the longtail fina mclaren is for sale

If you go to this link, then click on the picture - you'll get a pop-up box with the rear view of the mclaren - if you look in the background you can see a dark coloured Koening or Dauer road going 962 mentioned earlyer in this thread!

i've checked the site more - its the Dauer.... and its 1million euros - more than the mclaren!
 
TheCracker
If you go to this link, then click on the picture - you'll get a pop-up box with the rear view of the mclaren - if you look in the background you can see a dark coloured Koening or Dauer road going 962 mentioned earlyer in this thread!

i've checked the site more - its the Dauer.... and its 1million euros - more than the mclaren!
yes, its the porsche 962 le mans by dauer...here

it has got almost 900 horsepower, air conditioning, navigation system and does the 0-200 km/h in 7,2 seconds. :D
 
The McLaren F1 is a sensational machine. I actually have a die-cast model of the F1. I would still like to see McLaren represented in more ways than with BMW. The Fina McLaren is... alright. I like the Gulf McLaren like in my most recent avatar change. I don't know what the coolest McLaren F1 is in the JGTC, but for sure, this is a car you do not mess with. It would be interesting if that road-going Porsche 962 would make it into GT4. It would make for a good GT battle.

McLaren, welcome to the GT4 party! Enjoy your stay.
 
The one in the JGTC is de-tuned and is not as good as the other JGTC cars, howeverthe GT1 cars were formidable in their day but wouldn't stand up against todays competition.
 
This is off-topic, but you talk about cars that can't compete with some of today's muscle, why do you pit a Ford GT40 against a Toyota GT-One? I never understood that from PD. I mean, had it been a Porsche 917 or 962, it can still compete in my view.

McLarens in GT4. Love them? Or loathe them?
 
JohnBM01
This is off-topic, but you talk about cars that can't compete with some of today's muscle, why do you pit a Ford GT40 against a Toyota GT-One? I never understood that from PD. I mean, had it been a Porsche 917 or 962, it can still compete in my view.

Thats one of the things that bugged me about the Gulf GT40 in GT3 - theres no way it could compete with the Toyota GT1 like it does in that game. Same with Prologue - the Ford GT, which doesn't even look like its race modified, competes favourably with the Toyota GT1 again. In real-life the GT/GT40 would be blown away by the GT1. Infact very few of the 'Prototype' sports racers could compete with each other on a level playing field. Hopefully with there being more cars of this kind in GT4 maybe their true performances will be realised.
 
phantasm
OK, the point of this thread is... ???

Asking if McLaren belongs in the ulitmate automobile game is like asking if the Green Bay Packers should be included in an NFL game.

Maybe we should start some new threads:
Ferrari in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?
Porsche in GT4: Welcome to the Party or Uninvited?

Sorry to be a biatch... but if you want McLaren'sAngel to reply to you just PM her dude ;)

Hahahaha I agree with your post 110% The obvious flirting that John is pouring on Angel is revolting. It's thicker then frozen molasses. John just take it to a dating site. Save GTP from the despair of your stolid love life.

Oh and Yuna kicks ass.

I loved my Mclarens and Mercedes in NFS: High Stakes. Awesome cars, but not the greatest. Give me a Dodge Neon anyday. (just joshing)

I think other more budgetary automotive companys should be represented more then exotic makers. Specifically American companys. Japan gets the meat of the carcass and meanwhile America and Europe just get the scraps. Even though America has lots of car's represented GT4 is still lacking in my favourite clique of car racing. Tuned Sport Compacts. I want in GT4 more American tuned sport compacts. It's just a personal preference. If I were going online i'd probably race a tuned Dodge Neon more than a Mclaren. Just because it's more realistically possible. Besides I get sick of all the supercars in SP mode. Racing car's get boring after a while. They are too easy to drive. I like having car's with a bit of under/oversteer, uneven braking, no aerodynamics, feel a bit heavy, and somewhat underpowered. It makes the game more challenging.

Mclaren cars don't have these flaws.
 
Oh boy. Instead of talking about a subject that matters to people, you think I'm here just to hit on McLaren'sAngel. If I wanted to do that, I'd talk to her privately. I just want to discuss having McLaren (the car company/race car manufacturer in case you're looking to score another rant on me) in GT4. Now sure, it's human nature to disagree with things, but it is stupid to blatantly attack the premise of an argument like this.

Hyperglide, a normal person would attack you about the sport compact thing. You know, Glide, there will be tuner cars from Amuse, Mine, and stuff like that. So when you have the compacts and non-American cars racing around, they do have great handling with the flaw of low horsepower. Surely, your run-of-the-mill Civic tuner can tell you that boosting HPs around or more than 300 makes it better.

The reason why I like the McLaren F1 is because I think it is more awesome than anything from Italy. I love Italian exotics, but the F1 is so unreal that you'd have to be crazy to not say that should be in the same leauge as the Ferrari F50, Ferrari Enzo, or even the Lamborghini Murcielago. And this car SURELY has a place in automotive history, so you'd have to be a damn fool to not include it into the game.

Having said that, the topic is for anyone and everyone. Don't think this is a cheap way to sell myself to someone. Okay? Have a good day.
 
'If' the FIna Mclaren F1 is in GT4 under license from BMW, not Mclaren, that should not stop other F1 GTR's appearing in GT4.

ALL 1997 spec, long tail F1 GTR's were designated BMW Mclarens F1's, not Mclaren BMW F1's. This is because the 1997 longtail car was funded by BMW.

Works BMW Mclarens also raced in 1996, run by Bigazzi. I saw them at the 1996 Silverstone BPR GT race (BPR GT was the forerunner to FIA GT), with the cars then going on to race at Le Mans.

z96mcl30.jpg
 
John no offense but we could put together a rather large compilation of you hitting on McLaren'sAngel including comments like "If only I were a McLaren F1 by its lonesome and McLaren'sAngel came by..." and your always referring to her.
 
It's all very well naming other McLaren GT cars that should be in, but all the sponsors on the cars would have to have a licensing deal with PD as well. Which depending on the car, could have lots of minor licenses.

The McLaren above for example, would need licenses with BMW, McLaren, FINA and Planet Hollywood. Plus any other sponsor's that can't be seen down the side of the car. I don't know whether they pay money for all licenses, or sometimes get a waiver, but all that legal stuff takes time, especially if some company's start messing about. Best to stick to the simply sponsored cars they already have licenses for.

Something to keep in mind if we want to see this game anytime soon. :)
 
:) Come on guys,leave him alone.It is kind of nice to see some maners once and a while.Nothing wrong with flirting.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol:

Okay, can we all just accept what is going on now before things get a little crazy? :O Me, John and others are just friends. Is there something wrong with showing a bit of friendship toward one another on this site? And to be honest, I really think this board have good friendship/relationship toward one another is the reason why this site will never have soooo much argument about cars like Gamefaqs does...oh my goddess its soo horrible how soo many arguments are on like every thread their. :crazy:

Back to topic!

I really like cars that have a VERY BIG reputation in history. That's also why I luv the McCutey! :O With such winning history on the track, I just dont understand how some people can go "That car suck! I can soup up a car to go faster than it!" Yea its true you can tune a car to go faster, but will it make it into history? We dont know or might know. McLaren F1 is very important today in my opinion because its standard is still VERY high and possibly not beaten yet. Amazing how today's supercar are still being compared to it and nothing can do what the McLaren can do. :O

With such a history in the automotive industries, the McLAren F1 will NEVER EVER be forgotten at all! :O Even if 500-1000 Years from now, I am 100% sure that the McLaren F1 will be brought up in history channels or SPEED channel because it can be looked as a car that revolutionized the term SUPERCAR! The first car to truly put a very Big MARK during its time period and we know you can never forget what something or someone did to you as long as you can see that mark left behind on you. Only the cars that have made its mark in history will be the only cars remembered and looked at for many years to come. Cars that dont ever make any records or anything will probably be forgotten and never brought up because it have never done anything incredible. Examples of cars that I think that will never be forgotten are:

McLaren F1: For its big impact on the term SUPERCAR! :O

Skylines "Godzilla": For its dominance in Japan racing history. Cuz it crushes everything in its path! :O

Classic American Muscles: They just never get old do they! :O :O we see them all the time!
 
Redhed, it's funny you mention all the different sponsors that PD would have to get in order to have its racing supergiant to finally create GT4 to the masses. In some cases, I don't know if any other game had sponsorship from OTHER GAMES. When you raced Le Mans 2000 in "Le Mans 24 Hours," you can choose between only GT and open prototype. The Team Oreca Vipers featured the same usual sponsorship, but if you look closely at the car, you'll note two small Gran Turismo logos on the left and right sides of the winshield sticker. The Reynard bearing Playstation sponsorship features two Gran Turismo logos at the front of the LMP, either on or away from the front spoiler. And keep in mind that LM24H was made by Infogrames and Melbourne House, so they probably had to seek sponsorship from PD to put those logos on there.

Other than that, thanks to my buddies Kart and McLaren for their compliments. Have a good Father's Day this Sunday, and don't forget to ring in the summer. That means BBQ and fun in the sun for us guys, and sandals and flirty(er) stuff from the ladies. See you later, folks!
 
Actually, if you get the license for the team, that team already has sponsorship agrrements with all thoes companies, all sponsorship deals nowadawys cover things like that car appearing in a computer game. That means that once PD or Codemasters get a license from that team to include that car, all the sponsors of that car are already included.
 
Same thing applies to models of cars. There are a number of models of the Dome S101 Le Mans car which has 100's of mini sponsors on the car. Video games, models etc. are all part of the sponsorship package.

Sponsors embrace video games etc. as they are exra sponsorship oppotunites.

It also seems pretty obvious that there will be, at the very least, the short tail 1996 Fina F1 GTR, as the Mclaren in GT4P is described as the Fina Mclaren F1 GTR (Long). The only reason for the '(Long)' designation is if the short tail car is also included.
 
I dissagree on the long tail thing, the actual model of car is F1 GTR long tail, not F1 GTR which is the short tailed version. It would be called F1 GTR long tail no matter what game it was in an no matter how many other F1's were in if the game wanted to be accurate which GT4 does.
 
Th 1997 F1 GTR was never called the long tail officailly. It was called the (1997 spec) BMW Mclaren F1 GTR. The road car the Mclaren F1 GT.

So there is no need for the long designation, unless the the FINA 'short' tailed car was also in the game.
 
There was a Fina McLaren F1 GTR and also a Fina McLaren F1 GTR long tail, it's a designation given to all GT race cars with a long tail. The designation can be added whenever you want not just if theres a short tail there too. I hope there are more McLaren F1's in GT4 though, so while I dissagree with your line of thinking, I hope your end result is right.
 
Just to point out also that in the car selection screen for GT4 the BMW FINA McLaren F1 GTR doen not have the long tail designation even though it is a long tail.
 
From Page 4, JAGUAR, let me talk with you for a moment. With the information that you have provided, do you think it may be possible to have McLaren as one car dealer in GT4, or perchance a McLaren in BMW, then a seperate McLaren sponsorship?

Now based on your post (Post #75), you said that engines were supplied by BMW. Now I know that BMW licensed the engine to be used in McLarens. But as a pop quiz:

The Gillet Vertigo race car from Gran Turismo 3 is powered by an engine from which company?
A.) Mercedes-Benz
B.) Ford
C.) Alfa Romeo
D.) Lancia

The answer is C, Alfa Romeo. And in GT3, it was a great car until I grabbed hold of an F/090. So I wouldn't say that I'd put the Vertigo in the Alfa Romeo lineup, simply because it has an Alfa Romeo engine. I mean, would you consider the Americanized Lotus Elise a Toyota because it has an engine provided by Toyota?

I do think that more McLarens COULD be in GT4, but it is a maybe. It all depends. I know I'm making a sort of stand that more McLarens could possibly find their way into GT4. Now, my tone is different. I'm not saying they WILL be in the game. They might. For the sake of McLaren fans, even myself, I hope McLaren will be greater represented. They might even become good cars to challenge others in online play for the gearheads that take their love of GT online.
 
In further reference to your point John...

All the Aston Martins run Ford engines (And are indeed owned by Ford) but are still listed as their own marque in their own right.

C.
 
yeti
In further reference to your point John...

All the Aston Martins run Ford engines (And are indeed owned by Ford) but are still listed as their own marque in their own right.

C.

The Aston engines are only very loosely based on ford engines, the DB7 engine was heavily based on the Jag engine from the XJS (chassis as well) - and that's pre-Ford Jaguar.

McLaren, if any other are featured, will be an independant manufacture - not as part of BMW, McLaren are too heavily involved with Merc Benz to be classed as part of their greatest rival. The 'BMW Fina Mclaren GTR longtail' only mentions BMW because they sponsored that particular car along with Fina.

What would you class a Jag XJ220 if you were to go by engine maker?

XJ220 engine - based on engine from MG Metro 6R4 groupB rally car(developed by WILLIAMS) - whose engine is based on a cut-down ROVER V8 (ie TVR etc) - which inturn was developed originally as a small-capacity BUICK engine in the 50's ! ! !

Should the XJ220 be classed under Buick?
 
Back