McLaren LM 25 Editions from Lanzante Celebrate Legendary Le Mans Victory

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 19, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. kikie

kikie Premium

[​IMG]

What is wrong with the rear end of this car?

dice1998 and Michael88 like this.
  3. Famine

Famine Administrator

So many things.

mc0029 and TexRex like this.
  4. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo Premium

I'm still looking at the front trying to determine what actually is happening there.

Michael88 likes this.
  5. McLaren

McLaren Premium

I love Lanzante. Their history with McLaren is undeniable. But man, they have been playing up that history together with #01R as much as McLaren themselves, for the last couple years now. Every special edition has to be a modern McLaren being retied to the F1. Turning the P1 into limited LM-models in honor of the F1 LM? Dope. Tributes to the F1 GTR Longtail with the P1 GTR-18? Aight, I get it. Turning P1 GTRs into P1 GT Longtails? Let's hit the brakes here, the F1 GT didn't even get off the ground before the company shut production down; McLaren owns 1 body, leaving only 2 other examples in existence. It is literally the least recognized & accomplished F1 there is (even though it is by far, the 2nd most expensive example). The GT-tribute itself barely looks distinguishable from the P1GTR-18 making it look more like someone just wanted something a little different from that car & opted for a comfortable interior, but Lanzante offered it as a new conversion.

And now it appears Lanzante is trying to carry over this "F1 Tribute" marketing to the new line-up which is a bit funny imo, when McLaren themselves have already done tributes related to their LeMans effort. McLaren built 5 Senna LMs in honor of the F1 LM. McLaren is building 50, 720S Le Mans Editions in honor of #01R. And McLaren did previously build a 50 example-run 650S Le Mans Edition, also in honor of #01R.

I will give Lanzante credit ,though. Out of any company doing this beyond McLaren, they do have the strongest relationship to the F1 outside the factory & #01R in particular. And they are only building 1 upgrade of each available model so there's no real competition against the factory's efforts, but I would've still limited this tribute to just the 2 Senna models. Branching it out to both Spider & Coupe versions of the 600LT & 765LT really imply a desire to squeeze a bit more possible money out of this tribute display.

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  6. TexRex

TexRex Premium

It appears they've inverted some sort of demonic summoning altar.

7. Michael88

Michael88

I build similar looking cars from LEGO bricks when I'm drunk.

daan likes this.
  8. mef

mef

Gordon Murray hates CF wheels for its catastrophic failure mode. They are not on the F1 or T50 for this reason. A questionable “upgrade”..

9. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

:sick:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  10. The DOHCter

The DOHCter

Is it just me or is the title a bit of a tongue twister.

11. juanffy18

juanffy18

The Senna maybe is a great mechanical machine and fast but it is really ugly

12. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

They're milking the F1 and its solitary LM win way too much in my view. Yes it's a great achievement, but one or two special models are enough. McLaren/Lanzante should be making new cars to compete and win the new WEC hypercar class, and write new history instead of stroking their own ego again and again. But of course, that would be too expensive and has no guarantees. Thrown some splitters on an existing model, some nostalgic paintjob and rims and you have a special edition that you can sell at a marked up price to gullible collectors for barely any development. The ironic thing is, there are so many special edition supercars saturating the market now none of them are actually valuable anymore.

Gordon Murray has the right recipe, bringing the original F1 ethos to current times with modern tech and fixing all its problems. McLaren is just riding on its coattails churning out model after model to satisfy its shareholders pockets...

McLaren likes this.
  13. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Yep. With everyone having their own customizable programs that allow you to do anything you want as deep as your pocketbooks will allow, it's almost a wonder why you'd want to pay such a high mark up beyond the satisfaction of the factory model holding its value easier & maybe appreciating.

Otherwise if you don't care about that, for the same excess money you'd spend on, say a Senna LM over a regular Senna, you could just tailor make your own Senna.

14. JonZ

JonZ

not sure what's happening in the McL design department in the recent years. It was all ok until those 5xx 7xx models when up, then the Senna.... and now this.

15. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

So, uhhhhh...

16. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Not really an issue according to them. Someone else is basically giving McLaren $200m+ for the building and McLaren will lease the space. Article states day-to-day operations remain the same.

17. McLaren

McLaren Premium

And in cross-over fashion with Lanzante's ideas about Le Mans tributes & relying on the F1's heritage to move cars, MSO unveiled 5 tributed Senna GTR LMs .

However, I quite like these b/c they have gone for more than just a copy-paste #01R's design onto a car and limit it. Each of the 5 cars from 1995 is represented in hand-painted liveries with permission from Gulf, Harrod's, & the ACO, along side etched dedication to the car's race date, drivers, & finishing position. The car's engine underwent changes & produces a bit more power & OZ was contacted to re-produced identical wheels. In addition, at next year's Le Mans, all 5 owners will be presented an opportunity to drive their cars alongside the original 5.
    https://www.netcarshow.com/mclaren/2020-senna_gtr_lm/#3
    [​IMG]

05XR8, ZEE and VXR like this.
  18. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo Premium

I can't unsee how massive those tie cones are in the concrete walls in the background - grapefruit sized! Also they couldn't start the module from the ground floor FFL?? Somebody didn't try very hard in that rendering.

Oh, the cars are fine I guess.

19. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

The Ueno/Gulf/Harrods cars are obvious, but I never knew about the other two. Interesting that they chose those liveries instead of the more popular ones like Lark, FINA or Marlboro.

BTW, does anyone know a site where they list every livery of the F1 GTR that has ever raced?

20. McLaren

McLaren Premium

It's explained in the article; the 5 liveries chosen represent the 5 cars that finished at Le Mans in 1995. The other 2 are Giroix Racing / Chassis #07R & Societe BBA Competition / Chassis #05R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe Lark debuted on chassis #13R & #14R, FINA on #16R & 17R, & Marlboro on #12R. These were all 1996 cars as #10R was the debut of the 1996 bodies.
    These 2 links give a pretty good overview of all the liveries each chassis went through.
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=707200
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=753270

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  21. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows