McLaren Senna (P15)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 208 comments
Overall, the 'base' car is one of the ugliest cars I've seen in recent years.

I thought the rear wing was possibly the worst aspect... then I saw the diffuser on the GTR version :lol::lol::lol:

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Overall, the 'base' car is one of the ugliest cars I've seen in recent years.

I thought the rear wing was possibly the worst aspect... then I saw the diffuser on the GTR version :lol::lol::lol:

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Realistically, this kind of car is not being bought even remotely for its looks. I agree, it should at least try to look good, but the people buying these should not care as long as it serves its purpose of providing extreme driving thrills.

Realistically, this kind of car is not being bought even remotely for its looks. I agree, it should at least try to look good, but the people buying these should not care as long as it serves its purpose of providing extreme driving thrills.

These cars aren't being bought to drive - the majority of Senna GTR's will never see a track and will simply sit in someone's airconditioned and dehumidified 'storage facility' as an 'investment'.

Even if they do see a track, it's unlikely the owners will have anywhere near the necessary skills to find the limits of the car.

And there's no reason why it can't perform and look half decent.

Anyone actually serious about experiencing 'extreme driving thrills' is more likely to look at something like this or this. And save themselves £840-901k in the process.

Like @Stotty points out. These are bought as an investment and for that reason they're unlikely to ever be used much.

These cars aren't being bought to drive - the majority of Senna GTR's will never see a track and will simply sit in someone's airconditioned and dehumidified 'storage facility' as an 'investment'.
Like @Stotty points out. These are bought as an investment and for that reason they're unlikely to ever be used much.
According to Mike Flewitt (McLaren Automotive CEO, and Liverpudlian), the typical Senna buyer is buying two: One for the investment angle, the other to drive.

Don't know about the GTR though - it's not even officially slated for production. The Geneva show car is a market test and interest check.

Don't know about the GTR though - it's not even officially slated for production. The Geneva show car is a market test and interest check.

Even if it's only in small numbers, it's going to be made. I'd give it a couple of months or so until McLaren issues a "green light for production" statement. ;)

Normally I'd have agreed with you, but similar vehicles from other manufacturers are absolutely used on track - notably Ferrari's XX stuff. It's rarely talked about given the privacy most owners wish for, but I expect McLaren, just as Ferrari, Aston Martin etc do, will have dedicated trackdays for GTR clients. You won't see them at the average BookATrack day but then BookATrack doesn't run at places like Yas Marina or COTA...
They're definitely making it ;)

Incidentally, on the whole styling thing - I hated it when the original pics were released. Having now seen a couple in the flesh, it's grown on me a lot more. It doesn't photograph well at all, and it's certainly not what you'd call "pretty", but the aero bits that look weird in pictures just look like incredible bits of engineering in person.

With these cars, part of what you’re buying into is an opportunity to be trained and given track dates to run the car. McLaren is much like Ferrari where they host events for their clients to run the car, so I’m sure many of them will see the light of day.

Most likely they’ll have 2 year agreements to not be resold either.

You know, I was wondering why a certain design quirk of the Senna felt so familiar

Fuso-trucks-Super-Great-V-1.jpg

Here it is.

The McLaren Senna GTR will produce a tonne of downforce || Source: Top Gear

senna_gtr_sketch_nov_2018.jpg

row09677.jpg

row09673.jpg

row09686.jpg

Digested the McLaren Speedtail, have you? Good. Because McLaren’s now busying itself turning the Senna GTR track-only special from a Geneva show ‘concept’ into a finished item. A fast one.

To mark the start of the car’s dynamic testing, Woking has confirmed big numbers for the Senna GTR. The headline is downforce: 1,000kg of it, though the speed at which you have a tonne of aerodynamic grip available isn’t disclosed. Not that the Senna GTR will want for speed: its 4.0-litre bi-turbo V8 will develop 814bhp – up from 789bhp in the road-going Senna. Torque output remains 590lb ft.

Ridiculous downforce comes courtesy of the Senna GTR shunning road-legality, and employing active aero banned in the top echelons of motorsport. This sketch shows what to expect from the ‘production’ car – McLaren notes there’s a wider track, wider fenders, a ginormous front splitter (our word, not theirs) and a moveable rear wing ‘coupled’ to the rear diffuser.

We’ve also been given more clues about the Senna GTR’s light-weighting inside. No airbags, no infotainment touchscreen, no folding instrument binnacle – the only concession to comfort is air-conditioning. McLaren’s also included an interesting sounding ‘radar-assisted rear collision avoidance system’, which presumably boosts the car forward if its bonkers braking performance catches out an over-keen track-day goer behind. Or, perhaps it has missiles.

Though there’s no official weight for the Senna GTR yet, McLaren has promised it’ll be lighter than the 1,198kg road-legal Senna. It’ll also cost £1.1m plus local taxes, but the 75 slated to be made are all sold, to brave individuals who desire a car with GT3-spec racing suspension, slick tyres and 3g capability. That’s 3g as in cornering G-force, not on-board internet.

Even if you don't like it, £1.1 million is a steal. McLaren doesn't follow Ferrari/Porsche's VIP programs as strict, so get an early allocation, enjoy it a couple times, and flip it back for £1.5-1.7 million.

I just think for that money for a track car you can get stuff that’s turn-key and still as quick (like a Radical RXC Turbo, maybe an LMP2) or almost for a quarter of the price. Or something that’s more interesting like an Group C car.

I can fully understand with the road car but the ‘race’ car makes less sense.

The Senna GTR concept appeared at the Geneva Motor Show back in March 2018. Now the production version has made its dynamic public debut at the 77th Goodwood Members' Meeting, on track alongside the "normal" Senna, the P1 and its GTR cousin, and the F1.

mclaren_100694796_h.jpg

mclaren_100694795.jpg

:eek:

McLaren continues its function over form lol. It's still ugly as hell but looks slightly better than the standard Senna.

That's some heavy revision to the original concept; chin & splitter aren't as big, but it gains massive rear aero. Along with the front, the side skirts have been streamlined down. Front fenders have also had some aero work done. Looks proper fast.

jesus crist... Zonda Revolution, FXX K Evo and this... 10 laps in Suzuka... who wins?
Add the Vulcan AMR pro, brabham bt62 and the apollo IE...that's a tough one. I'd say the FXX K evo would be first for sure. Every other car would be up in the air.

I think the Vulcan would be a top contender there, but everything I've read from FXXK owners indicate that the car's driver aids are so good, you can almost drive it flat out as an amateur & see how capable it is.

And this conversation is why we’ll get to see Hypercars at Le Mans in a couple years time :D

Back