Meet Japan's $4m Electric Supercar That Can Hit 60mph in Under TWO Seconds

IIRC it already did break under 2 seconds before the power bump. Just. With preheated slicks.

Apparently, they said it should be able to do it with street tires. I'll file that under "not a chance in hell".

Apparently, they said it should be able to do it with street tires. I'll file that under "not a chance in hell".

Ha, I'm not convinced either. The Tesla and Rimac at least is heavy which aids traction. This thing being so light is actually detrimental to low down grip.

And the low mass means it requires less grip than a heavier car for any given rate of acceleration.

Once you get up to speed that's true, but from a standstill and on road tires, traction is the limiting factor. You're just going to wheelspin away all that power and torque if you don't have the weight over the driven wheels. That's why Veyron/Chiron and GT-R can still pull off those insane 0-60 times even though they weigh a ton. It's only once you get up to medium speed that the weight becomes in issue. At even higher speeds weight becomes a non issue entirely and power/aero is all that matters.

Once you get up to speed that's true, but from a standstill and on road tires, traction is the limiting factor.
The less mass you have to accelerate, the less force you have to use to accelerate it, agree?
The force you have to use, the less traction you have to use, agree?

This also applies to a launch. The reduced normal force on the driven wheels is (to an unknown degree) negated by the reduced traction required to overcome the reduced inertia.
That's why Veyron/Chiron and GT-R can still pull off those insane 0-60 times even though they weigh a ton.
I think that's mostly due to the fact that they have four driven wheels. You think a RWD Veyron or GT-R would launch well?

The less mass you have to accelerate, the less force you have to use to accelerate it, agree?
The force you have to use, the less traction you have to use, agree?

This also applies to a launch. The reduced normal force on the driven wheels is (to an unknown degree) negated by the reduced traction required to overcome the reduced inertia.

I think that's mostly due to the fact that they have four driven wheels. You think a RWD Veyron or GT-R would launch well?

I'm no physics expert but that does sound right. I'm just trying to apply common sense back there but from my experience in college common sense often fails in physics :P

I just feel that at a certain power level on road tires, you can have a car that is too light to accelerate properly and taking away even more weight isn't going to make it any faster. Keeping other variables equal, if you plot a graph of acceleration on y axis and weight on x axis, it's probably going to look like a "U". Again, I'm no physics expert here and I'm open to be proven wrong.

I don't think a RWD Veyron or GT-R would launch as well as a 4WD. But if they are made RWD, I think the weight would help rather than hinder in low grip launch conditions (rain/ice). There's a reason why the Dodge Demon tries to shift as much of its weight to the rear as possible being a RWD car, and it's also a 2 second car despite its weight.

There's a reason why the Dodge Demon tries to shift as much of its weight to the rear as possible being a RWD car, and it's also a 2 second car despite its weight.
Yeah, that's a clever way of increasing the weight on the driven wheels without increasing the mass.
(Just for reference: the Demon is 100 kg less than the Hellcat).

Back