Meet Volvo's Vision Gran Turismo Concept That Never Happened

Oh man what a shame. It's so beaut, it's so Volvo. This thing would look mean blasting out of the Tokyo tunnel in the wet at night for sure!

The Volvo/Lotus omission is one of the strangest mysteries about GTS. I hope we get a full explanation of what exactly happened there one day.

In same time, motorsport (and BTCC) is less popular than the golden 90s.

This sounds a little bit like nostalgia to me. If there are facts to back it up, I'd be curious to see them. I'm not saying motorsport now doesn't face challenges, but it also benefits from things that 90's motorsport couldn't. Even with the sorry state of TV coverage and patchy live streaming, it's possible now to follow race series' in ways that just weren't possible, and when considering TV viewing figures and trackside audience figures, you can now add in social media interaction and community.

I didn't really follow much motorsport in the 90's, it was only around '97 that I started watching F1, and not until 2005 that I started going to any races, but as I recall, it's always been niche, the percentage of car buyers that are motorsport fans is probably pretty tiny, and I'd be surprised if that was any different in the 90's.

volvo-visiongt-concept-003.jpg

The car is gorgeous but I do love that Volvo rear quarter and hatch treatment.

I'm not a fan of the 250 GTO breadvan but the Volvo thing that goes back to the C30 and the P1800 is just so spot on and the designer clearly sees that decades old design language.

This is a loss to the VGT program.

I'm more sold if the car sounded like the Volvo 850 BTCC, the inspiration.

For those who unaware, it sounded identical to the Audi Sport Quattro Group B car, albeit with much lower RPM.

Oddly, Geely is a client of mine, and I've been speaking to Polestar recently on this topic... I'll have something for GTP when something else has gone out.

*Googles how to set up notifications for specific users on XenForo*

I think the directive/statement I was referring to was the reason they gave for canning the VSC program, things have probably changed since then given they landed the cover-car for Need For Speed Heat.

Pretty insulting GT6 STILL has "Coming soon" on like 15 VGTs. Couldn't they have at least removed them?

Shame indeed, it looks like most of the model is finished by all those renders maybe they are from a build in game, but VGT cars are under used and PD seems to be loosing focus. I personally hope GT7 does not have these VGT cars lets leave them here and get a more traditional GT with GTSport as an add on.

Shame indeed, it looks like most of the model is finished by all those renders maybe they are from a build in game, but VGT cars are under used and PD seems to be loosing focus. I personally hope GT7 does not have these VGT cars lets leave them here and get a more traditional GT with GTSport as an add on.
Im sorry but i can't understand why people dislike VGT so much . Ok some cars are a bit bonkers (that was one of the points) but the rest of them could enter regular production i mean whats so crazy with something like the Mercedes VGT? And why should the stay in GT Sport? they included them in one "traditional" title before and all was well.

Im sorry but i can't understand why people dislike VGT so much . Ok some cars are a bit bonkers (that was one of the points) but the rest of them could enter regular production i mean whats so crazy with something like the Mercedes VGT? And why should the stay in GT Sport? they included them in one "traditional" title before and all was well.
They are just under used, other than online time trials

They are just under used, other than online time trials

Its not only that... some people are truly invested in the 'real cars real tracks' thing.

VGT would be better received if they tried to be more realistic (ie. no more 2x Laser cars) and if they had interiors and if they could be more easily grouped together and raced.

The std. VGT and VGT+ classification in leagues is a step in the right direction.

True although that happens because most people blindly hate them because "they are not real" even tho the same people are fine with poorly simulated real cars . I just can't understand that mindset.

They don't like them, as I don't, because they simply would rather have a real car instead. Mazda VGT Gr3? Give me bloody McLaren 720S GT3 already or etc etc etc etc etc.

And the above example is the least silly VGT I could think of as most Gr3 cars are actually used a fair amount.

VGT is a waste of resources considering all the awesome real cars out there. They do pretty much the same in each category... For example there are lots of cool real GT4 cars but Gr4 is full of fakes.

Do we see a VGT road car daily race often?

In addition to VGT being uninspiring, I wonder if the decision to have these fake groups, Gr3 etc, was helpful down the line of development for them. If it had been better thought out we could have had healthy and realistic Group B, Group C, LMP1 and several touring car categories. And we could maybe have the option to mix categories.

Another rant over.

They don't like them, as I don't, because they simply would rather have a real car instead. Mazda VGT Gr3? Give me bloody McLaren 720S GT3 already
That's not the choice. The choice is the Mazda RX-Vision or nothing at all.
VGT is a waste of resources considering all the awesome real cars out there.
The resources used for Vision GT (the Mazda isn't one, for reference) are not used instead of putting awesome real cars into the game.
For example there are lots of cool real GT4 cars but Gr4 is full of fakes.
Again the choice isn't "cool real GT4" or fakes, it's fakes or nothing at all.

because they simply would rather have a real car instead
As do i but i don't hate the other cars.

And the above example is the least silly VGT
Well Famine answered for me :lol:

VGT is a waste of resources considering all the awesome real cars out there. They do pretty much the same in each category...
Same as above.

For example there are lots of cool real GT4 cars but Gr4 is full of fakes.
Agreed

Do we see a VGT road car daily race often?
No but then again i don't see any road car dally races the way it was intented aka group races instead of one makes so i woulden't blame that on VGT.

In addition to VGT being uninspiring,
I honestly don't understand how can anyone find VGT uninspiring of all things.

I wonder if the decision to have these fake groups, Gr3 etc, was helpful down the line of development for them. If it had been better thought out we could have had healthy and realistic Group B, Group C, LMP1 and several touring car categories. And we could maybe have the option to mix categories.
Agreed

Another rant over
You see thats the issue in my opinion everyone is so serious and worked up about things that don't effect them in any way.

That's not the choice. The choice is the Mazda RX-Vision or nothing at all.

The resources used for Vision GT (the Mazda isn't one, for reference) are not used instead of putting awesome real cars into the game.

Yes I know it's not a choice, it would be my preference. As would be my preference for real categories. Not a strange or unheard of opinion. In fact there are entire games dedicated to it, and it would be nice to see some of that purist philosophy adopted by PD.

You're on a roll at the moment of making people out to be saying things they aren't and tearing apart valid opinions and without thinking too much, replying super quickly.

You know exactly what my point is and I will digress immediately in any discussion with you from now on.

Yes I know it's not a choice, it would be my preference. As would be my preference for real categories. Not a strange or unheard of opinion. In fact there are entire games dedicated to it, and it would be nice to see some of that purist philosophy adopted by PD.

You're on a roll at the moment of making people out to be saying things they aren't and tearing apart valid opinions and without thinking too much, replying super quickly.
You literally said what I quoted you as saying.
You know exactly what my point is
Not unless you've typed it I don't. Your point in that post was you'd rather have a McLaren 720S GT3 than a McLaren RX-Vision GT3, that there's loads of cool GT4s but Gr.4 is full of fakes, and that you think resources are wasted making Vision GTs "considering all the awesome real cars out there".

My response was that this is not the choice you are faced with - it's the Mazda or no car, and the fake Gr.4s or no car - and the resources spent on Vision GTs (which the Mazda isn't) are not related to any resources spent on "awesome real cars", so there's no rationale to draw a line between them and say resources spent on VGT are a waste as a consequence.

If you have a point other than that, you didn't type it - thus I don't know exactly what it is.

Mazda are the only people right now who are dedicating resources to add cars to the game.

Everyone else needs to get into gear if they want to be in the game. And really I cant blame McLaren, then already put in the Ultimate VGT - in both Gr1 and GrX spec...

As do i but i don't hate the other cars.

Well Famine answered for me :lol:

Same as above.

Agreed

No but then again i don't see any road car dally races the way it was intented aka group races instead of one makes so i woulden't blame that on VGT.

I honestly don't understand how can anyone find VGT uninspiring of all things.

Agreed

You see thats the issue in my opinion everyone is so serious and worked up about things that don't effect them in any way.

You're vision of me or other people getting worked up might be exaggerated. Me saying rant doesn't mean I'm really worked up.

I do have a strong opinion on it though as I've played GT since the 1st game, hundreds of thousands of miles in each game.

Me saying rant doesn't mean I'm really worked up.
My impression dosen't come specifically from you. In fact your comment is mild compare to the 🤬 i have seen on social media ever since VGT became a thing.

I've played GT since the 1st game, hundreds of thousands of miles in each game.
Likewise but i really those custom/fake (whatever you want to call them) cars. To me it dosen't matter if its called Honda CR-X Del Sol LM or Mercedes VGT and i think people should focus more on the fact that PD still gets car specs wrong (see Sauber C9) etc but thats just me.

Honestly that's the best looking VGT so far. All the rest look like bugs.
I highly disagree. My favorites are the VGTs for Pininfarina/Fittipaldi, Zagato, Mazda, Jaguar, Chaparral, Alpine, Lamborghini, and Nissan. Then there are some that are basically either previews for racecars (the Lexus looks a bit like the GT500-spec LC500) or sportier versions of other concept cars (Subaru, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Bugatti), and don't look too bad. That said, I love this Volvo, too, and I hope it somehow makes its way into GT.

I highly disagree. My favorites are the VGTs for Pininfarina/Fittipaldi, Zagato, Mazda, Jaguar, Chaparral, Alpine, Lamborghini, and Nissan. Then there are some that are basically either previews for racecars (the Lexus looks a bit like the GT500-spec LC500) or sportier versions of other concept cars (Subaru, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Bugatti), and don't look too bad. That said, I love this Volvo, too, and I hope it somehow makes its way into GT.
I'd rather have real cars that are actually drivable instead of those transformers.

Latest Posts

Back