Meet Volvo's Vision Gran Turismo Concept That Never Happened

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, May 19, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Noname0529, Yui-san, Dezcom and 12 others like this.
  2. yas

yas

Bring back the wagons to GT. Loved driving them before I even started driving them.

3. CTznOfTime

CTznOfTime

What's the point of holding back ?

Some of the VGT that got released so far are less useful than this one... but all in all, this sort of effort should have been released...

One reason for the holdback is Volvo not wanting people to copy their design on real cars... but even so, that's a lame reason.

4. FrankieStail

FrankieStail

From Thor’s hammer to Thor’s pick ax!

5. Famine

Famine Administrator

Holding back? Volvo isn't even in the game...

6. GT5 Level 41

GT5 Level 41

There're all kinda starting to look the same. Change the badge to Nissan and you got a final design that didn't get picked. Let Infinity have it. That open wheel Ford. That was going to be something.

7. Doomotron

Doomotron

What is it at the moment with awesome VGTs that aren't being released?

8. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Looks good. Shame we don't get it.

9. TheEvstar93

TheEvstar93

First there was Alfa's VGT, then Bertone's, then a second Bugatti one and now a Volvo? And it was a shooting brake!? Humph. I guess we just don't live in a perfect world. Still, at least Lamborghini's one is eventually coming and we're getting a Porsche VGT.

10. redhed17

redhed17

All these VGT's that didn't appear. :( Look at this that you could have driven, but won't. :rolleyes: Nice to see the designs, and you can imagine how much time and effort when in not to be used. Disappointing though. :grumpy:

I like the Volvo, and that they kept to a design based on their most famous model rather that some laser powered whatever, or something that you're not sure a person could actually fit in. :crazy:

Rather than being a whatever you want concept, the VGT's should have all been kept to set criteria where they could all race against each other. Then you could have a Lambo racing a Bugatti, racing a VW, racing something from Volvo like this. Otherwise they are just interesting ideas to look at for a few minutes. Imho of course. ;) :lol:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    fastone371, CTznOfTime and Neal Singh like this.
  11. Divaldo

Divaldo

Nike, Jordan and Tesla....

syntex123, Razgriz2118 and Neal Singh like this.
  12. George Jakob

George Jakob

Im sorry but how do these three look even similar :confused: .

13. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Maybe it was coming, but then someone from Geely went online to play GT sport, and just saw "NO VGT" in every lobby... then thought... oh well, no point.

14. Johnny Dean

Johnny Dean

I think that's probably one of the ugliest cars I've ever laid eyes on

15. Phaceless_Ph

Phaceless_Ph

I think it's part of a conscious decisions from Volvo/Polestar because in their opinion motorsport isn't relevant to selling cars (which is not true).

girabyt3 and CTznOfTime like this.
  16. mastretta_mx

mastretta_mx

To be honest the design is horrible :lol: but maybe that is because in general shooting brakes are not my favourite car design (a car that can't decide if it is a sedan or a mini van)

17. redhed17

redhed17

But then the work seems to have been done, and advertising is advertising. :rolleyes:

But this wouldn't have been motorsport. More like an opportunity to show their design skills over and above their everyday cars. Which I think was part of the point of the VGT concept.

ThePotatoKing and CTznOfTime like this.
  18. Neal Singh

Neal Singh

Why never than now?
    I mean, I get that Sony and Polyphony are still facing licensing issues with Geely (the automobile company that owns Lotus, Polestar, and Volvo) to this day, but for two years in time, it should no longer be an issue, considering the fact that Geely once said that their owned manufacturer vehicles will not appear in video games - yet, the Polestar 1 appeared in Need for Speed Heat (2019) (Similarly, how production vehicles of Toyota finally appeared in Forza Horizon 4, after two years of not having it from Forza Motorsport 7). Companies at this time need to get their stuff together and put themselves into an agreement before it's too late. Better now than late. Otherwise, their other licensing agreements from Sony/Polyphony could expire.

fastone371 likes this.
  19. 05XR8

05XR8

That would have been awesome. It's similar to the Subaru VGT.
    Well, last new Volvo we had, was the C30. Anyway, a nice design. Maybe GT7 pitlane will look as real as in that pic. ;)

fastone371 and 53Nicolas like this.
  20. Famine

Famine Administrator

Oddly, Geely is a client of mine, and I've been speaking to Polestar recently on this topic... I'll have something for GTP when something else has gone out.
    When did Geely say that?

21. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Volvo, and by extension Geely, ran a factory back touring car team through 2017 under the Cyan Racing banner. Cyan is still around, but it switched to the Lynk & Co 03 last year.

22. JD_18

JD_18

what a shame, I like it

Doomotron likes this.
  23. girabyt3

girabyt3 Premium

Yet, they think street racing is relevant to sell cars, then getting them impounded and crushed :lol::lol: *logic*

[​IMG]

And about the VGT, man, it's a shame it didn't get the green light since Volvo (even before Geely) doesn't get enough recognition in normal not-sports-licensed racing games, and this could've been a possible return to a 850R estate succesor, and a great Volvo super-sports car :tup::tup:

53Nicolas and George Jakob like this.
  24. ss3

ss3

I might cry

25. 05XR8

05XR8

Would make a nice GR.3 racer.

girabyt3 likes this.
  26. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Without the air suspension, yes it would be.

27. Hallitrd

Hallitrd

All three looks stunning, but this Volvo GT is one sleek design!

28. MisterWaffles

MisterWaffles Premium

I really would have loved this car with some fat racing slicks, a big V8 and a park-bench rear wing wearing the colours of the Swedish flag as a Gr.3 racing version.

That in an IKEA livery, yes please.

29. ImMano99

ImMano99

Why not just take the Polestar thing from NFS Heat lol

30. zeptrans

zeptrans

And they are sadly right, motorsport is not anymore a window to selling cars.

Since last 10 years, the SUV cars are the most attractive cars to customers, no racing representation.
    Now Chinese market is the place, and motorsport is surely not an advantage to selling cars in China.
    In same time, motorsport (and BTCC) is less popular than the golden 90s.