Meet Volvo's Vision Gran Turismo Concept That Never Happened

What's the point of holding back ?

Some of the VGT that got released so far are less useful than this one... but all in all, this sort of effort should have been released...

One reason for the holdback is Volvo not wanting people to copy their design on real cars... but even so, that's a lame reason.
Holding back? Volvo isn't even in the game...

All these VGT's that didn't appear. :( Look at this that you could have driven, but won't. :rolleyes: Nice to see the designs, and you can imagine how much time and effort when in not to be used. Disappointing though. :grumpy:

I like the Volvo, and that they kept to a design based on their most famous model rather that some laser powered whatever, or something that you're not sure a person could actually fit in. :crazy:

Rather than being a whatever you want concept, the VGT's should have all been kept to set criteria where they could all race against each other. Then you could have a Lambo racing a Bugatti, racing a VW, racing something from Volvo like this. Otherwise they are just interesting ideas to look at for a few minutes. Imho of course. ;) :lol:

Last edited:
To be honest the design is horrible :lol: but maybe that is because in general shooting brakes are not my favourite car design (a car that can't decide if it is a sedan or a mini van)

Maybe it was coming, but then someone from Geely went online to play GT sport, and just saw "NO VGT" in every lobby... then thought... oh well, no point.
But then the work seems to have been done, and advertising is advertising. :rolleyes:

I think it's part of a conscious decisions from Volvo/Polestar because in their opinion motorsport isn't relevant to selling cars (which is not true).
But this wouldn't have been motorsport. More like an opportunity to show their design skills over and above their everyday cars. Which I think was part of the point of the VGT concept.

Why never than now?
I mean, I get that Sony and Polyphony are still facing licensing issues with Geely (the automobile company that owns Lotus, Polestar, and Volvo) to this day, but for two years in time, it should no longer be an issue, considering the fact that Geely once said that their owned manufacturer vehicles will not appear in video games - yet, the Polestar 1 appeared in Need for Speed Heat (2019) (Similarly, how production vehicles of Toyota finally appeared in Forza Horizon 4, after two years of not having it from Forza Motorsport 7). Companies at this time need to get their stuff together and put themselves into an agreement before it's too late. Better now than late. Otherwise, their other licensing agreements from Sony/Polyphony could expire.

I think it's part of a conscious decisions from Volvo/Polestar because in their opinion motorsport isn't relevant to selling cars (which is not true).
Oddly, Geely is a client of mine, and I've been speaking to Polestar recently on this topic... I'll have something for GTP when something else has gone out.
I mean, I get that Sony and Polyphony are still facing licensing issues with Geely (the automobile company that owns Lotus, Polestar, and Volvo) to this day, but for two years in time, it should no longer be an issue, considering the fact that Geely once said that their owned manufacturer vehicles will not appear in video games - yet, the Polestar 1 appeared in Need for Speed Heat (2019)
When did Geely say that?

Volvo, and by extension Geely, ran a factory back touring car team through 2017 under the Cyan Racing banner. Cyan is still around, but it switched to the Lynk & Co 03 last year.

Yet, they think street racing is relevant to sell cars, then getting them impounded and crushed :lol::lol: *logic*

d4d87763dc5c37ce9f61b343f2d90d8c.png

And about the VGT, man, it's a shame it didn't get the green light since Volvo (even before Geely) doesn't get enough recognition in normal not-sports-licensed racing games, and this could've been a possible return to a 850R estate succesor, and a great Volvo super-sports car 👍👍

Yet, they think street racing is relevant to sell cars, then getting them impounded and crushed :lol::lol: *logic*

d4d87763dc5c37ce9f61b343f2d90d8c.png

And about the VGT, man, it's a shame it didn't get the green light since Volvo (even before Geely) doesn't get enough recognition in normal not-sports-licensed racing games, and this could've been a possible return to a 850R estate succesor, and a great Volvo super-sports car 👍👍
Would make a nice GR.3 racer.

And they are sadly right, motorsport is not anymore a window to selling cars.

Since last 10 years, the SUV cars are the most attractive cars to customers, no racing representation.
Now Chinese market is the place, and motorsport is surely not an advantage to selling cars in China.
In same time, motorsport (and BTCC) is less popular than the golden 90s.

Back