Megadrought in the US West; Worst in 1200 Years?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 72 comments
It's not so much about living here, but rather people choose to farm in the desert which is just stupid. For example, something like 10% of all water usage in Utah is for personal consumption. Everything thing else goes towards farming, livestock, and industry which is just absurd. We wouldn't have a water problem if we didn't feel the need to grow water-intensive crops like alfalfa. The snow every year would more than sustain us without issue.

California has a similar problem with agriculture, particularly crops like almonds which is one of the most water-intensive crops there are.

We need to rethink our food, or shift production to areas where it makes sense.
Something about hemp. It can do every non-edible thing corn can do but is less crappy and less resource-intensive. I don’t know how much corn is grown out west but replacing it with hemp would be a big bonus to drier regions of the Great Plains, most of which are also irrigated from ground water and canals.

Last edited:
Something about hemp. It can do every non-edible thing corn can do but is less crappy and less resource-intensive. I don’t know how much corn is grown out west but replacing it with hemp would be a big bonus to drier regions of the Great Plains, most of which are also irrigated from ground water and canals.
I guess now that weed is being legalised everywhere this actually might happen. Not that weed being illegal was ever a good reason for hemp not being widely used, but humans are dumber than a sack of hammers.

I guess now that weed is being legalised everywhere this actually might happen. Not that weed being illegal was ever a good reason for hemp not being widely used, but humans are dumber than a sack of hammers.
I read recently somewhere that US hemp acreage actually went down in the past couple years but permits to grow it have skyrocketed. Falling prices were blamed for less of it being grown but clearly farmers are getting prepared to switch for when it's more profitable. I imagine there is some massive corn lobby offering sexual favors to Republicans to prevent that.

Ya it's going to be fun when the lake dries out and we have cancerous dust storms blowing across the city. At least the lake effect snow will be gone...along with pretty much all the tourism, but hey at least no more shoveling I guess.

This morning on the news we have air quality warnings in Dayton Ohio. Last week we had brown skies and a brown sun from the Oregon fires in particular.

Most of the big storm washes in my area are still flowing pretty good. Southern part of AZ got more rain yesterday, and they're calling for more over the next few days. So far this year we have had more rain than the last two monsoon seasons combined.

Arizona is quite green right now. Been a nice change. And I've woken up to rain on Monday and Tuesday so far this week. Monsoon is forecast to hang around all week long.

What came first, the climate-induced drought or the tens of millions of people choosing to live in a place that already didn't have much water going for it?
For over 1,000 years the Anasazi flourished as lords and masters of the bulk of the "desert" Southwest of North America. They numbered perhaps 30,000 and left magnificent buildings and roads. I've spent weeks dedicated to exploring their abandoned sites, petroglyphs and rock art, yet have seen only a tiny fraction. Much about the Anasazi remains controversial or puzzling. But it emerges fairly clearly that they vanished from the region after several decades of no rainfall; an almighty drought.

More rain.

1628732863746.png

Wow well fortunately they put a farm in Arizona in a place where it rains.

Dayton OH has somehow managed to dodge extreme thunderstorms for the past two days. Tuesday there were storms just north of the city that extended all the way to Cleveland and just south of the city down through Cincy and Kentucky. Yesterday there was a serious line from just north up through Detroit. Besides the lovely tornado warnings back in June, our summer storm season has been pretty underwhelming. The grass is just beginning to brown a bit.

More rain hitting right now...

View attachment 1074736

It is wonderful when local weather brings rainfall.

Western States Face First Colorado River Water Cuts As Megadrought Drains Reservoirs​

Farmers in Arizona and Nevada, along with two Mexican states, will face cutbacks next year in a grim sign of what’s to come as the climate warms.
headshot
By Alexander C. Kaufman
Lake Mead, which makes up part of the Arizona-Nevada border, has extremely low water levels due to drought.

PATRICK T. FALLON VIA GETTY IMAGESLake Mead, which makes up part of the Arizona-Nevada border, has extremely low water levels due to drought.

Arizona, Nevada and two Mexican states that rely on the Colorado River for drinking water and irrigation will face cuts to their supply next year as a prolonged megadrought parches the American West, leaves reservoirs depleted and casts doubt over the future of vital freshwater reserves as climate change worsens.
On Monday, the federal Bureau of Reclamation declared a water shortage at Lake Mead as water levels fell below the 1,075-foot threshold that triggers mandatory reductions in the amount of water the nation’s largest reservoir dispenses to millions in the lower Colorado River Basin.

Where does the water go when it rains that heavily in Phoenix? Is it stored? Does it restore ground water? Does it run off into drainage ditches and streams? I was only there for a week in September 2017 and it definitely didn't rain.
We have a pretty crazy drainage system and it still gets overwhelmed sometimes with crazy storms like last night. Most of it sits in areas meant to collect it like this:

1629227658188.png

And the rest through washes/canals. Also adds to the water table. NWS said that rainfall at Sky Harbor airport for the period of June 17 to now is 3.3" , normal levels are around 1.5". So we're doing good this year, everything is quite green right now.

20210816_075823.jpg

Goes the monsoon season bring sustainable amounts of water for the rest of the year or not?

Goes the monsoon season bring sustainable amounts of water for the rest of the year or not?
It helps, but depends on the year. Last year wasn't great. All of our usable water comes from the Colorado River, Salt River (and lakes within) and the San Carlos Reservoir which was pretty low earlier in the year. Not sure on its levels now.

Isn't fire a naturally-occurring part of some ecosystems?
It is! But fires caused by camp fires and cigarette butts and fireworks are not naturally-occurring. And thousands of human buildings being inside the fire zone is also not naturally-occurring.

It is! But fires caused by camp fires and cigarette butts and fireworks are not naturally-occurring. And thousands of human buildings being inside the fire zone is also not naturally-occurring.
You forgot the deliberately lit ones also if you guys have morons like us.

In California they seem have many fires caused by incidents related to the electrical grid. Transmission lines get built through forests, then years later rich genius-level residents refuse to trim trees growing around lines, then when limbs fall on lines and sparks fly, they sincerely regret it.

Last edited:
Back