Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series Captures the Nurburgring Lap Record

Maybe a stupid question, but does anyone know how much tries do they usually take to understand if they can break the record or not? Do they spend an entire day? Or is the driver so good he can reach his best time after a lap or two of practice?

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but does anyone know how much tries do they usually take to understand if they can break the record or not? Do they spend an entire day? Or is the driver so good he can reach his best time after a lap or two of practice?

In this very interesting video they talk about something like that at 9'53" :
Direct link to that moment :

Last edited:
Wow, that thing looked incredibly quick... I find it incredible that ten years ago to get anywhere near that you had to use a near racetrack-ready prototype with license plates (Radical SR8) and today those times are being beaten by supercars, not million dollar hypercars or barely legal track day weapons but normal SUPERCARS, with air-conditioning and a proper roof and everything. Simply fantastic!

Where does it end? I thought that these 'Ring records were going to be a part of the past.

That red/orange black edition has a sublime gearbox. The shifts are fast.

Last edited:
Wow, that thing looked incredibly quick... I find it incredible that ten years ago to get anywhere near that you had to use a near racetrack-ready prototype with license plates (Radical SR8) and today those times are being beaten by supercars, not million dollar hypercars or barely legal track day weapons but normal SUPERCARS, with air-conditioning and a proper roof and everything. Simply fantastic!

tire-pilot-sport-cup-2.png

The 911 GT2 RS MR went faster, but apparently that's not counted as "production" car? Anyway, on a track like the Nordschleife, a few seconds difference is just splitting hairs really. Different track/weather conditions and driver skill could easily make up that difference.

Now, if this car becomes the next F1 Safety Car, could we possibly stop hearing drivers complaining of the SC going too slowly? :lol:

Back