Mercedes-Benz CLR LM-GTP #4/#5/#6 1999

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 20 comments
Indonesia
Paint booth
FMecha_EXE
The flying Merc, which was one of sportscar racing's biggest epic fail, caused Mercedes to rage quit the CLR program. This car deserves to be in GT - imagine racing the CLR in Cape Ring! :D

871335.jpg

Le+Mans+1999+CLRflip2.jpg

I understand this car flipped in 1999, but why does this car get a lot of hate? I really want it in GT just for the sheer joy of it (and that is not flipping).

Its not so much hate as it is a overused punch line whenever Mark Webber's short time at Le Mans is mentioned. It is interesting to note that this car has not really shown up in any console title since then (that I know of anyway).

Its not so much hate as it is a overused punch line whenever Mark Webber's short time at Le Mans is mentioned. It is interesting to note that this car has not really shown up in any console title since then (that I know of anyway).

It's mainly because Mercedes has done just about everything to cover-up/deny that they raced sportscars in the 90's or that the flips of 1999 ever happened.

Webber flipped one car in practice and Peter Dumbreck was driving the one that flipped off of the track during the race. The third car was retired instantly after Dumbreck's crash. After Webber's flip, the cars had extra canards to keep them on the ground. It's safe to say that they didn't work....

That Viper was one of the cars that I loved in GT2 but never bothered to buy. The CLR should be in this game since the BMW is in it and the TS020 is as well. If those two made it, the CLR should as well (even though the Merc was a fail).

That Viper was one of the cars that I loved in GT2 but never bothered to buy. The CLR should be in this game since the BMW is in it and the TS020 is as well. If those two made it, the CLR should as well (even though the Merc was a fail).
I loved the Viper in GT2... Actually GT made me love the Vipers, it actually made me buy 1! (It´s in my profile pic) But yeah the CLR is an awesome looking car, it should deffinitly be in GT.

Seeing as no devs are willing to have a aerodynamics model accurate enough to recreate that, Safe to say that'll stay grounded (assuming online lag doesn't pull off the classic Nascar 09 shenanigans)

Edit: Not to be a negative nancy to the thread starter but is "race car" really necessary in the title? It didn't exist as anything other then one so it seems abit redundant.

Seeing as no devs are willing to have a aerodynamics model accurate enough to recreate that, Safe to say that'll stay grounded (assuming online lag doesn't pull off the classic Nascar 09 shenanigans)

Edit: Not to be a negative nancy to the thread starter but is "race car" really necessary in the title? It didn't exist as anything other then one so it seems abit redundant.
Maybe the OP could replace "Race car" with GT1 since that is what the prototypes were in 1999. And now that I look at the pics, its ironic IMO that the 6 car is the top picture since that is the only car that didn't flip as far as I'm aware of.

Maybe the OP could replace "Race car" with GT1 since that is what the prototypes were in 1999.

Cars like the CLK-LM/CLK-GTR, R390, and TS020 raced in the GT1 class. For 1999, the classes were changed. The 2 prototype classed were called LMP900 and LMP675, with an LMGTP class for closed-top prototypes. The GT classes were renamed GTS (Viper, Corvette, S7) and GT (911 GT3 RSR and Ferrari 360).

2 things incorrect there:

1.) The CLR and CLK-LM are 2 different cars, they are built to 2 different rule sets.

2.) The CLK-GTR was never in the series, and don't say it was in GT4, that was a typo by PD.

I understand this car flipped in 1999, but why does this car get a lot of hate? I really want it in GT just for the sheer joy of it (and that is not flipping).
Agreed. I'd like to see the Brabham BT55 too, albeit without that pesky wing release feature.

Let me add my take on this & I'm right.
CLK-GTR released in 1997 with a 6.0 V12
CLK-LM replaced this for Le Mans '98 with a 5.0 V8 turbo for reliability and this completed the '98 Sportscar Championship that Mercedes finished 1-2 in.
CLR was the flip-mobile they tried to keep upright at Le Mans '99.

Finally, Webber was unlucky enough to flip the thing TWICE before the race even started & Peter Dumbreck flipped up and over the barrier during the race.
Full stop. End of story. Check your facts before you disagree with me.

2 things incorrect there:

1.) The CLR and CLK-LM are 2 different cars, they are built to 2 different rule sets.

2.) The CLK-GTR was never in the series, and don't say it was in GT4, that was a typo by PD.

Although its interesting to note that in early GT2 demo builds, there was a CLK-GTR.

Latest Posts

Back