Two heads, no brains...
Premium
United Kingdom
Betelgeuse
Beeblebrox_237
ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Here it is, the new Mercedes-Benz GLA.

I quite like it. The chunky styling works really well in my opinion, sort of like a modern take on the now deceased Outback Sport (yes, I said that about a Mercedes). The new real lights look much better than the A-class units, which I think are ugly enough to put me off the whole car. I like this car a lot, and would seriously consider owning one, even though it's a stylish hatchback-turned-SUV which probably doesn't handle as well as the A-Class, and will likely be more expensive.

Jalopnik

So, it's a small-to-mid-size crossover, made by Mercedes, to replace built on a line that has it not been in GT2 I would be furiously scouring the internet for. WHY?

EDIT: I didn't know they had redone the A-series, it looks quite nice. This does not look as good to me. Still, WHY?

I quite like the look of this.

Is this suppose to be the size of the Subaru XV Crosstrek? It looks a little shot to compete with the X3.

I quite like the look of this.

Is this suppose to be the size of the Subaru XV Crosstrek? It looks a little shot to compete with the X3.

Exactly what I was thinking. should take sales away from the XV.

This is not going to be in the same price range or market bracket as the XV. Not in any way. Not unless Subaru builds an XV STI (still hoping) for $35k... in which case they'll be in the same price bracket, though they still won't appeal to the same customers.

-

Actually, the Outback Sport is not related to the Outlander in GT2 in any way. It's more of a Lancer hatchback that's been made slightly higher and taller.

Which is the same relationship that the GLA has to the A Class.

As to "why"... BMW X1 / MINI Countryman... is "why."

Ah. The egg.

The new A-Class is different. They've given up trying to make a car that people need and instead have made it a car that people might want. Which is what they should have done in the first place.

Better looking than A and CLA-class…but if you see car on the directly to it's side….not really

Last edited:
This is wrong but I actually LIKE and WANT a new Mercedes crossovery niche thing! (but I hate the A class?) I saw it and though XV immediately, I know it isn't direct competition but it's in the same style. I expect big sales as usual.

this is the first mercedes (from the newest gen) where I feel the design of the front lights actually fit and look great

It look nice, I like the look of the new A-class.

It looks better then the BMW X1, which I think is just ugly and pointless.

Is it a subcompact or is it compact CUV?

I like it. I already like the A-Class, but this has better proportions - it's a similar shape, but there's a bit more substance to the rear end, and the raised ride height actually works for it.

Here's GLA next to A:

content_mercedes-gla-side.jpg

content_mercedes-a200-side.jpg

The second shot comes from my review of the A200 CDI. Side-on is probably the A's most awkward angle. The car looks too cut-off at the back, almost as if it's for a different car entirely. The GLA fixes this with the small kick to the rear window and the slightly larger overhang. The larger wheel arches also help.

And the interior is the same, which is one of the bits they got right. Apart from the silly knock-off iPad on the dashboard, but the rest of the cabin makes up for that.

MB lineup 35 years ago:

"E-Class"
"S-Class"
"SL-Class"
G-Class

MB Lineup 2013-2015: (cars in brackets are not released)

A Class (, Convertible)
CLA Class Sedan (, Shootingbrake)
GLA Class
B Class
C Class Sedan, Wagon, Coupe (, Grandcoupe, Convertible)
GLK
E Class Sedan, Wagon, Coupe, Convertible
CLS Coupe, Shootingbrake
M Class
G Class
S Class Sedan (, Coupe, Convertible)
SL Class
SLS Class (Successor in 2015, will be a F12 competitor)
(Mercedes GT, launches maybe at the end of 2014, a 911 competitor)

In 2015 Mb lineup will consist of 26 cars, of which many have to compete against each other (CLA-C Class/C Coupe-E Coupe-SLK/S Coupe-CLS Coupe/SL-SLS-Mercedes Gt). Besides the B/SLS/GT Class, each one will have a AMG model too.

Insanity...

I hope this works out for them, not only because I am a MB fan, but many peoples jobs are dependend on them in my region.

Eh, that seems like par for the course these days. BMW is nearly as guilty, as is Audi. GM is just confused while Citroen's DS and C lineups confuse me to no end.

Eh, that seems like par for the course these days. BMW is nearly as guilty, as is Audi. GM is just confused while Citroen's DS and C lineups confuse me to no end.

At least the other two german brands use numbers to help keep things reasonably logical!

I don't have a problem with model ranges expanding like this, it's all about choice. I didn't see point of the CLS, but look what Mercedes started with that! Many question BMW's motives with the first gen X5.. even more so with the X6, but the former has done very well for the company and even the later has found it's place. Audi have probably been the most sensible, but even they are slowly using up all the numbers.

The R-class would be Merc's failure I guess, I gather they've dropped it, but it is still on their website.

Oddly, everyone seemed to love the R-Class, but the public never really saw the point.

It just illustrates the futility of motoring journalism sometimes... I can recommend Volvo V40s 'til I'm blue in the face but it won't stop people who know nothing about cars going out and buying Golfs and A3s on nothing more than the badge on the front.

V40 > A3/Golf? Interesting. Is it better to drive, or better at doing mundane things, or both?

V40 > A3/Golf? Interesting. Is it better to drive, or better at doing mundane things, or both?

All of the above and more. Feels more special, the engine is quieter, and it feels more nimble. Subjectively, it's also better to look at and doesn't make you feel like an unimaginative sheep.

Actually, since we're in the appropriate thread, I'd place it above the A-Class too.

Oddly, everyone seemed to love the R-Class, but the public never really saw the point.

It just illustrates the futility of motoring journalism sometimes... I can recommend Volvo V40s 'til I'm blue in the face but it won't stop people who know nothing about cars going out and buying Golfs and A3s on nothing more than the badge on the front.

I thought that the problem with the R class was how closely it was perceived to be a Chrysler somethingorother underneath? I could be wrong on that.

I thought that the problem with the R class was how closely it was perceived to be a Chrysler somethingorother underneath? I could be wrong on that.

Not to my knowledge. I think the main problem was that nobody really wanted or needed a large 4x4/MPV crossover thing for about £50k. Much less the AMG one they also did!

Though you seem to be able to get them for as little as £10k used at the moment, and for that money I suspect it makes a pretty nice family-hauler.

Not to my knowledge. I think the main problem was that nobody really wanted or needed a large 4x4/MPV crossover thing for about £50k. Much less the AMG one they also did!

Though you seem to be able to get them for as little as £10k used at the moment, and for that money I suspect it makes a pretty nice family-hauler.

Like the BMW 5 series GT... buyer apathy can mean a fantastic bargain for those who do quite like the look/feel of these Luxury luggers.

All of the above and more. Feels more special, the engine is quieter, and it feels more nimble. Subjectively, it's also better to look at and doesn't make you feel like an unimaginative sheep.

Actually, since we're in the appropriate thread, I'd place it above the A-Class too.

Yeah, but its a Volvo ya know, not "cool" enough 👎

I wonder why the Guilietta sells so bad. It looks great (both for man and womans tastes IMO), it seems to be very well built and Alfa is a coole marque.

@Monatsende: Cool thread ;) I saw the new S Class (S500) in person yesterday when I checked my local dealership. What an car...!

Yeah, but its a Volvo ya know, not "cool" enough 👎

I wonder why the Guilietta sells so bad. It looks great (both for man and womans tastes IMO), it seems to be very well built and Alfa is a coole marque.

The Guilietta? Sorry, but the only phrase I can think of that describes that car to me, is cat sick on beige plate.. it's lacks any kind of cohesion, it's just a mess... like a clash between a Lancia Ypsilon and a Vauxhall Astra... and the only reason I can think of why it sold as well as it has, is because of the perception of cool that goes with the Alfa brand (though I can't see where that has actually delivered for a few years?)

Slightly iffy front aside (sadly common to all post-8C Alfas), I quite like the Giulietta.

And having driven one, I'd quite happily take it over the aforementioned A3/Golf. Feels far more solid than the 147 ever did, loads more space, and a range of good engines. Not quite as fun as the 147 was, but it feels much more alert than the German twins.

It probably lacks that last few percent of touchy-feeliness you get in a Golf, but on a personal level that's something I'd happily trade for the fact I wouldn't have to tell all my car-loving friends that I'd actually gone out and deliberately chosen a Golf.

If the Giulietta is selling well (and it isn't doing badly, according to this link), it's because it's actually not a bad product at all. The Alfa badge does probably have something to do with it, but then you could say that with any of the aforementioned vehicles too.

Great news (that link)!

I have yet to drive one, but I only read good stuff about it.

Here in germany the Golf is unbeatable of course (very low entry price thanks to the 86hp engine), but I hope cars like the Guilietta or V40 can find there own healthy market here.

People actually buy the poverty-spec versions in mainland Europe. In the UK, they serve no other purpose than to give manufacturers a nice low price to put in their adverts.

Back vaguely on topic (again), Mercedes did just that when it launched the new A-Class - it launched the A180 in a basic version with no named trim level - no "SE" or anything like that. It remained on sale for about a month and then disappeared from the price lists. But by then, it'd already done the good work of putting a nice low entry price in the press...

I drove one and actually quite liked it, but generally those lowest-spec cars are pretty horrific. I can't imagine how terrifyingly dull an 86 hp entry-level Golf is.

Back