Mercedes Rejoins the Hot Hatch World With Its Tech-Laden AMG A35

I'm not digging that front styling. Reminds me too much of the Focus. It'll probably grow on me though.

If anyone pays attention to numbers, this puts out the same exact HP and torque as the new Civic type R...going to be interesting to see how they stack up on track together

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but is this FWD, RWD or AWD? I guessing since it is a hot hatch is FWD but you never know, maybe one day a manufacture will make a cool RWD one like Toyota did with the starlet. :)

Anyway, it looks really good. Probably fun to toss around too.

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but is this FWD, RWD or AWD?
It's four-wheel drive.
I guessing since it is a hot hatch is FWD but you never know, maybe one day a manufacture will make a cool RWD one like Toyota did with the starlet. :)
BMW tried with the 1 Series. The problem was it had none of the hot hatch attributes other than being small and quick.

This new A-Class really is an unfortunate looking thing. It droops from end to end like a banana, not helped by the colour for sure.

"Look at me! I couldn't even swing the note on the real AMG version of what was already barely a Mercedes!"

Last edited:
I tell you, the only "real" hot hatch out there, is the Suzuki Swift Sport. Get it together, people.
You're not wrong, the Swift Sport was a very simplistic, yet driver focused hot hatch that wasn't at all gimmicky or overdone. Brings back the GT5 memories. My word, can that thing turn.

Not bad at all this hot Mercedes hatch. Except for the dashboard. Don't like that. The seats on the other hand, ... loving them.

Is the "AMG Track Pack which comes with MBUX Augmented Reality" the same thing as this?

When exactly did it leave the hot hatch world? The A45 has been produced for the last 5 years.
Actually, Mercedes-AMG discontinued the A45 (and the GLA45 and CLA45) when the new A-Class arrived in May. The A45 replacement isn't due until 2019. So "May".

The Swift Sport really can turn. 18 months on it still surprises me, even more so on Yokohama S-Drive tyres. Sweet as a nut. It's basically the MX5 of the hatch world.

These ultra hatches, are like supercars. I remember first reading about the Evo IIV doing sub 5 seconds. SVT Focus RS was about as extreme as a hot hatch got. Then, the 300hp Focus RS.

Clio R.S. kept the hot hatch going. 200 hp, NA, manual, lightweight. Perfect.
The A35 looks fine to me. It's cool it can be compared to a Golf R and Focus RS. Other than the Integrale, I've been wanting to see these type cars since the Rally Golf.

The A35 looks alright. But I'm more excited for the second gen A45 which is rumored to have over 400 horsepower. And I'm also curious as to whether the A35 hatch will be sold over here in Canada. We're at least getting the regular A Class hatch.
If anyone pays attention to numbers, this puts out the same exact HP and torque as the new Civic type R...going to be interesting to see how they stack up on track together
While the power outputs are similar, the Civic Type R is front wheel drive with a manual gearbox (Though that doesn't seem to hinder it much) while the A35 is all wheel drive with a twin clutch gearbox. That might make for an interesting comparison.
Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but is this FWD, RWD or AWD? I guessing since it is a hot hatch is FWD but you never know, maybe one day a manufacture will make a cool RWD one like Toyota did with the starlet. :)

Anyway, it looks really good. Probably fun to toss around too.
The lesser A Classes offer front wheel drive (Though all wheel drive is available) but the AMG versions come standard with all wheel drive.

Mercedes-AMG-A-35-2.jpg

At least this new A45 share a similar dashboard "idea" as the Mercedes Project One.

upload_2018-9-22_20-38-43.png

I saw one the other day (normal A Class) and oh boy it was bland/ uninteresting at best and ugly at worst. I actually briefly thought it was the outgoing model because the side profile is so similar until I saw it's trangular face! The interior is neat but the rest of it is poor imo.

Back