Mercedes Benz SLS Gullwing.. the genuine homage.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leonidae
  • 64 comments
  • 9,288 views

Leonidae

(Banned)
Messages
6,881
Messages
GTP_Leonidae_MFT
66767682_045fa23457.jpg


*click for more images etc etc*

let's see.. 571bhp, 480lb-ft of torque, 7200rpm redline, 7-speed rear-mounted dual clutch tranny, 48/52 weight distribution, 3571lbs.. I think M-B almost got it right this time.
 
That styling just doesn't work for a modern car. It looks so goofy.
 
That styling just doesn't work for a modern car. It looks so goofy.

Sorry but have to disagree, it looks better than the original IMO. But I'm sure most wont like it as much as the original.
Although the back is a bit iffy.
 
The GTR-esque headlights do not work...at all. All in all, it looks nice, but not as pretty as I thought it would. Being naturally aspirated, I wonder how this will fit as the MB flagship off the back of the SLR, and with the SL Black sitting in the range.
 
That will be fun to get out of when it rolls over....

Actually, I reckon you could at least crack it open enough to climb out... given the hinges maintain integrity. Not as bad as scissor doors.
 
I think the headlights hurt an otherwise decent looking face. I want to see more pictures of the rear. I can't really decide if it looks good on not from the pictures...
 
I can't say i'm in love with it. Don't hate it, but not in love, either.

it looks old already. I think it may be TOO faithful to the original.
 
I think the headlights hurt an otherwise decent looking face. I want to see more pictures of the rear. I can't really decide if it looks good on not from the pictures...

Same here, I would also like to see a good profile pic too. It seems to have weird proporsions, I don't know, it might just be the angle.
 
It could also just be a car that isn't photogenic. I've been finding that a lot of newer cars are like this. I thought that the new Mustang was really awkward and ugly until I saw one at the car show and it suddenly looked simply amazing, even in pictures.
 
I think its a very tasteful re-creation, at the very least. I'd be more interested in how it performs, or furthermore, what the price would be like. In a world of SL63, SL65, the Blackseries, and the McLaren... I'm wondering how they'll get this one to stand out among them, besides the retro styling.
 
Please please please remove the AMG badge and aggressive styling! I reckon this would work so much better as a smoothly crafted and elegant machine rather than mad all-out sportscar.

Edit: This kinda change (excuse the terrible shop job).

66767682_045fa23457.jpg


\/

SLSamg.jpg


Edit 2:

Or maybe even:

sls2.jpg
 
Last edited:
I agree Danny, I'd change the headlights too but other than that it's a good looking car.
 
Same here, I would also like to see a good profile pic too. It seems to have weird proporsions, I don't know, it might just be the angle.

2010-slsamg-prf-mercedesbenz-fd-500-1.jpg


very strange indeed.
 
I agree.. the new, aggressively styled nose just doesn't work well with the rest of the body. and remember, when oyu look at that side profile.. you're looking a car that is pretty much similar as RT/SRT-10 Viper.
 
66767682_045fa23457.jpg


*click for more images etc etc*

let's see.. 571bhp, 480lb-ft of torque, 7200rpm redline, 7-speed rear-mounted dual clutch tranny, 48/52 weight distribution, 3571lbs.. I think M-B almost got it right this time.

:drool:

My god that thing is heavenly. I love it. But, my only thought is why does it have to have all that AMG stuff on it. Why couldn't they just make a 350, 500, 600 and then have your AMG models. I'd imagine this would be just fine with the 350 V6 or 500 V8. If they made it with the V6 maybe normal people could afford one. But then again it would step all over the SLK's and possibly the SL's sales. Who knows...
 
That is AWESOME!!! Everything about it is a win. 👍
 
Wow, I didnt realise Merc would do something so samey as the original, I know they wanted to do a proper homage to the original but this is almost identical!

Now sometimes I do complain that modern remakes dont carry enough of their lineage in the design but there is also the other extreme where it looks way too similar and I think this is one case where they slightly over did it.

Im a big Merc fan and everything about it looks fine apart from those akward lights. They dont really fit in.

I did a really quick photoshop of a shape they could have used for the lights, actually even my design needs to be sharper and more angular. Currently I feel the C-Class lights best represent the brands new 80's face.

sls.jpg


Robin.
 
I don't get the problem you guys have with the styling, it's interesting and doesn't look like a wax model that's been left out in the sun to melt like most new cars seem to lately. And those round headlights someone shopped in make it look WAY too much like the retro T-bird they made a while back...it definitely needs sharp, angular headlights.
 
That's simply not an attractive car. The gullwing doors create odd proportions dead-on, in that their bulbous shape doesn't fit the low, wide hood. Speaking of the hood, I can see why the hood is over-long: it's the same front mid-engined approach as the SLR (which also had the ridiculous side profile). That doesn't mean it looks good in either case, however much better the SLR was. And if the engine is so far behind the front axle, why is there still such a large front overhang? This entire front half doesn't work as an homage because it's not as tall as the orignal.

The back half is no better, resembling something that melted rather than was formed that way on purpose. The upturned butt looks so wrong, and it's probably because it is. It's just a mish-mash, mis-directed, mis-design-by-comittee mess. Heck, even the recent 'replica' was better.
 
MB used to get the proportions decent, but totally botch the whole package with graphic ornament. They've kept that knack, but missed the proportion this time too. With each new model/facelift, Mercedes is constantly degrading their overall design family. Very few handsome cars exist in their lineups, perhaps only base-level C-Class, S-Class and the SLK remain unscathed.

This is no different. I just don't get what any part, save the doors, is trying to accomplish. It's almost amateur.
 
The same can be said about many other manufacturers though. It's bad to the point that in 10-20 years we'll be looking back at the 2000s as another low for automotive styling like the 70s were.
 
I am impressed with the stats of the car, but not the look. When I look at the front end of the car, I feel confused by the way it looks. It just feel to me like a retro gone wrong. It don't have that retro modern thing to it like the Ford Mustangs are. I don't like the proportion of the car either because it doesn't flow right in my opinion. The long long hood with the top all boxy doesn't do it for me.

If I was rich, I would be buying a regular SLR or SLR 722 instead.
 
The same can be said about many other manufacturers though. It's bad to the point that in 10-20 years we'll be looking back at the 2000s as another low for automotive styling like the 70s were.

There'll always be a couple sour apples, but I expect so much more from Mercedes. You know it's bad when a 15,000$ Mazda turns my head before than a 120,000$ MB would.
 
Please please please remove the AMG badge and aggressive styling! I reckon this would work so much better as a smoothly crafted and elegant machine rather than mad all-out sportscar.

I agree. I'd even go as far as suggesting it should have slightly smaller wheels and taller tyres.
 
^

+1 and please Mercedes change the wheels, to something more "exclusive". (not the same at others AMG).
 
Back