Mercedes EQS

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
After the EQC SUV, the next Mercedes EV has now been spotted with camo.

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709676_h.jpg

It's a flagship sedan like the S-Class, however it's an EV built on the new Mercedes Electric Architecture 2 architecture (The EQC used the MEA1).

This will be Mercedes's Model S competitor most likely so expect a bunch of luxury, semi-autonomous features, and new EV tech.

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709678_h.jpg

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709681_h.jpg

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709658_h.jpg

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709671_h.jpg

It's a liftback just like the Model S.

2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100709670_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116134_2021-mercedes-benz-eqs-spy-shots

Mercedes, don't you have enough four-doors?

A- Class
CLA-Class
C-Class
E-Class
CLS-Class
AMG GT 4-Door
S-Class
S-Class Maybach
EQS

And now a new one? That's nine different fourdoors, and it's evident that they're cannibalizing the sales of each other more and more as time goes on.

A- Class
CLA-Class
C-Class
E-Class
CLS-Class
AMG GT 4-Door
S-Class
S-Class Maybach
EQS

And now a new one? That's nine different fourdoors, and it's evident that they're cannibalizing the sales of each other more and more as time goes on.
So you're saying someone's cross shopping between a Maybach and an A-Class? All of those sedans are wildly different. Each sedan is aimed at a different market/buyer Sure, the CLS may be similar to a AMG GT 4 Door, but they're definitely not impacting each other's sales. :lol:

A- Class
CLA-Class
C-Class
E-Class
CLS-Class
AMG GT 4-Door
S-Class
S-Class Maybach
EQS

Are any of those other than the EQS electric?

Luckily it is a concept because this is not a beautiful car. Mercedes can do better.

Mercedes reveals the interior of the EQS called the MBUX Hyperscreen

mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen.jpg

Spanning nearly the entire width of the EQS sedan’s interior, the infotainment package bundles three distinct OLED screens, including one dedicated to the front passenger, to allow for more intuitive operation than current MBUX systems.

mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen.jpg

Spanning more than 56 inches from edge to edge, the Hyperscreen’s curved glass could be the largest such piece of silicate in the automotive industry today – it definitely beats out the Escalade’s 38-inch display. But, like the Caddy, the Mercedes-Benz Hyperscreen is actually composed of three distinct points of interaction, all encapsulated under one smooth pane of glass.

For example, the driver faces a comprehensive set of digital gauges – similar to those found in the 2021 S-Class sedan, but adding distinct EV functions that monitor brake regeneration, state of charge, and driving dynamics. Next to and slightly below the instrument cluster is a center infotainment display, which defaults to a massive navigation map and minimalist phone and audio controls. Finally, a short, wide screen appears on the dashboard just in front of the passenger, displaying either entertainment goodies when the seat is occupied or a stylish galaxy of three-pointed stars when it’s just the driver up front.

mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen-instrument-cluster.jpg

mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen-navigation-display.jpg

The slightly curved pane of glass is rendered at temperatures exceeding 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, ensuring distortion-free clarity and surprising strength (for comparison, high-temperature glass is molded at about 1,100 degrees, while Gorilla Glass gets heated to 750 degrees). The company also tested the panel for safety in extreme cases, like a particularly catastrophic car accident. In such rare situations, the glass features predetermined breaking points at either end and five mounting points that yield in a targeted manner thanks to a honeycomb substructure.

Able to store several driver and passenger profiles, the Hyperscreen uses artificial intelligence to make comfort and vehicle operation suggestions. For example, the Mercedes-Benz EQS features a suspension that can lift the car slightly higher, useful when approaching a steep driveway or traversing a potholed street. If the driver regularly engages the suspension lift in a particular place, the Hyperscreen will learn that behavior and suggest the action in advance, easing the process for the driver.

Another such use case is an action that’s linked to a particular time and location. If the driver makes a phone call every Tuesday evening after leaving work, the EQS can now make that suggestion to the driver, displaying a business card and/or a photo of the person they might like to call. Since each Hyperscreen action is linked to a personal profile, if someone else is behind the wheel, the vehicle won’t make such a suggestion.

mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen-climate-display.jpg

Even without the AI, the basic system appears to be rather intuitive. The center Hyperscreen display default, known as the “zero-layer” features map, audio, and phone controls – Mercedes-Benz’s research suggested those were the most common functions drivers used in prior MBUX iterations. This means that calling up one of those features will be rather easy, accessible as they are from this zero-layer. “Hey Mercedes” voice commands appear here as well, commanding just about any feature on the Hyperscreen.

https://www.motor1.com/news/464674/mercedes-benz-mbux-hyperscreen-eqs/

It seems Mercedes-Benz has taken action as a result of people complaining about how modern interiors look unattractive because infotainment screens stick out of dashboards...

... Just make the entire dashboard a screen! 💡

OLED isn't a good idea for car displays, the longevity won't be anything like LCD. How will it fair 15 years+ down the line? Plus if you even scratch it let alone break it it's going to be a faff to sort.

Also, interesting how this is Merc's cutting edge tech yet it's not fitted to the new S-Class which has a hideous collection of tablets instead.

Last edited:
Not only do i love the look of the display, i actually think from Mercedes' perspective it's a good idea.
Being it's an electric car with very few mechanical parts, (compared to an ice engine car), that'll require servicing or replacing, it doesn't take a genius to work out that the cost of replacing a cracked or damaged display, will be beneficial to Mercedes in clawing back some of that money lost.

Interesting article where the design chief talks about the hyperscreen

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ner-on-the-eqs-hyperscreen-bigger-the-better/

(emphasis mine)

[Gorden Wagener, Daimler's chief of design,] says the idea for the Hyperscreen first came about years ago, and it all started with a sketch on the wall at Mercedes' now-shuttered interior design studio in Como, Italy. (Mercedes has since opened a new design studio in Côte d'Azur, France. Nice work if you can get it.) "I saw the sketch and said, 'That's amazing, let's make that happen,'" Wagener says. "And we did make it happen! We made it feasible with a partner, and that really amazes me. We have a vision, a little sketch there, and we made it a reality."

"The bigger the better," Wagener says.

When equipped with the Hyperscreen, the only physical controls on the EQS' dashboard will be the start button and the light switch, and Wagener says that isn't something that Mercedes will backpedal on -- so don't expect new Mercedes models to bring back more buttons and switches five years down the line. "We were pushing for the elimination of hard keys because it makes it clean and modern," he says. "It's a completely different thing to operate. As designers we love simplicity."

The Hyperscreen will be optional, with the EQS getting a setup similar to the 2021 S-Class as standard that will have a standalone gauge cluster screen and separate infotainment screen in the dash. Wagener wouldn't give that many specifics about the base system, but he says that the EQS was designed with the Hyperscreen in mind. "We started with the Hyperscreen, that was the focus point," says Wagener. "We always have one eye on the standard version, but we did not want to compromise the high-end version."

The dash of the S-Class (and ostensibly the base EQS) is dominated by a huge slightly curved trim panel, which is available in a multitude of wood, carbon-fiber, aluminum and piano black finishes. Fancy trim is a hallmark of any luxury car, so I ask Wagener how the Hyperscreen-equipped EQS will make up for the lack of that panel. "When the whole instrument panel is screen you have less space for traditional trim materials, but the Hyperscreen itself is the jewel of the interior," he says. "It's glossy, it has mega resolution, it's sexy and simple. Seeing it in that size and brightness, it's so much more beautiful than any trim material would do."

There will still be fancy trim, such as chrome strips around the screen and wood pieces on the center console and dashboard, but Wagener says, "We're moving away from traditional trim materials to digital trim materials" when it comes to Mercedes' electric cars. The passenger side of the Hyperscreen can display animated patterns or image galleries, making it essentially a virtual piece of trim. "Once you use it and can animate it, put up pictures of your loved ones, it's so much more valuable and rich and luxurious than what you're used to." Wagener also pointed out the propellor-esque analog air vents, which he described as "hyperanalog."

The Hyperscreen is the type of innovation that designers dream about, stuff that's typically reserved for concept cars, and Wagener didn't mince words about how excited he is about it. "We will always put beauty first, we will never do an awkward solution. I'm so happy I can't even believe it that this design vision became a reality."

He is definitely not a traditionalist and will definitely anger many people. I'm still open to this idea, I'd need to see it in person before judging it. However, of course I do have concerns about longevity, durability, security, and safety since software doesn't age well.

Last edited:
It's like having a really expensive IPhone or Samsung Phone megascreen plastered all over your dashboard console, with no screen(s) protector, so when it goes all bish-bash-bosh, what'ca gonna do Mercedes? :lol::irked:

Last edited:
Look at that glossy 3D home button, what is this, Windows Vista?! :yuck: Absolutely tasteless.

I'm sure the best of the best UX/UI designers are not particularly interested in working for automakers. But yes, that looks like a 15-year old windows product.

It's interesting to see the dash is just 3 separate screens, but I stand by my previous comment that it looks like it'll be expensive to repair. 1 screen goes down, that whole panel has to come off. If you crack the panel, that's... a panel that's going to have a crack in it b/c I've got other bills to pay. Not that it'll matter to folks who initially buy this.

The more Marques goes through that, the more it doesn't seem like a car. Just a big, interactive, mobile Apple (or Samsung in this case?) product. Do you really need that many USB ports in a car? This car also feels like it's built with a lot of neat passenger-implemented features to the point the car could cater more to the Rolls-Royce/Bentley crowd where you do not driven, you are chauffeured. But, it's missing a ton of the physical luxury to match that market space.

His comment about how a passenger could also watch YouTube on their screen stood out to me, reminding me of the Tesla promo images showcasing a library including The Witcher on the main screen. They pack so much stuff into these cars that I still wonder how it's legal (as I'm reminded of how touch screens require a legal notice on being distracted by the screen), or how much can be accessed while driving. I give Tesla some props the more I read more about how folks actually camp in their Teslas, but this much technology seems to be packed for the sake of it. It's innovative, but I don't think I'll ever have enough passengers to actually make use of everyone having their own microphone or the middle person using a tablet.

"Your engineers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Last edited:
When Mazda still didn't have Apple compatibility for their cars, I already saw how people were treating the market. It was nearly like that when some Toyotas didn't have hands free functionality.

The real kicker will be, when it's time to upgrade. Having to wipe all the owner's info and maybe transferring that info to a new car or to a different brand. These cars definitely seem like mobile laptops.

I’m not a fan of the exterior or interior design but I’m always curious how lesser known car enthusiasts react to electric cars.

Where's the frunk?

Also how well does it roll up to a charger and handshake, and how quick does it charge? How thorough is the route planning?

I literally don't care about anything he studied in that video. It's a Mercedes, it's an EV. That defines what I already know - it looks weird and it's luxurious. Don't care, that's expected. What I need to know is what makes it better than other EVs because frankly all EVs look cool, all EVs are quiet, they're all fast, they all handle well. But not all of them have the same range or route planning or charging experience.

I think one thing that will define the success of EVs more than anything will be the ease of the experience. And I think that's interesting because with gasoline cars, the core user experience is exactly the same - you take any car to the gas station, fill it with gas, and you're on your way. But that's not the case with EVs. And if a Mercedes has a more difficult charging or planning experience than a Hyundai, the Mercedes won't be successful. The things that define a good EV versus a good ICE are completely different. Problem is all these car reviewers are reviewing EVs as if they were ICE cars which is totally inadequate. EVs are pieces of technology first and cars second.

Last edited:

In its home country of Germany, the upcoming electric Mercedes-Benz EQS sedan comes standard with a 4.5-degree range rear-wheel steering system and an optional 10-degree upgrade. According to German car publication Auto Motor und Sport and brought to our attention via Autoblog, that full 10 degrees of rear steer will be sold as a subscription-style service for the European equivalent of about $576 per year, at least in that country.

On the slight upside, German EQS buyers will have the option to pay for three years of rear-wheel steering for an upfront fee of about $1,733 (1,169 euros) instead, equating to an approximate 20 percent discount versus paying year-to-year.

Thankfully, 10-degree RWS will be standard equipment on the U.S.-spec EQS 580 4MATIC and EQS 450+ when they land later this year, as confirmed to The Drive by a company spokesperson.

Back