Mercedes Rejoins the Hot Hatch World With Its Tech-Laden AMG A35

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 20, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Antonio_1989 likes this.
  2. 2clicks

2clicks

I'm not digging that front styling. Reminds me too much of the Focus. It'll probably grow on me though.

3. Dsavage27

Dsavage27

If anyone pays attention to numbers, this puts out the same exact HP and torque as the new Civic type R...going to be interesting to see how they stack up on track together

4. Moby45

Moby45

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but is this FWD, RWD or AWD? I guessing since it is a hot hatch is FWD but you never know, maybe one day a manufacture will make a cool RWD one like Toyota did with the starlet. :)

Anyway, it looks really good. Probably fun to toss around too.

5. Famine

Famine Administrator

It's four-wheel drive.
    BMW tried with the 1 Series. The problem was it had none of the hot hatch attributes other than being small and quick.

Moby45 likes this.
  6. Turbo

Turbo (Banned)

Essentially a more expensive Focus RS. Yawn.

7. VXR

VXR

This new A-Class really is an unfortunate looking thing. It droops from end to end like a banana, not helped by the colour for sure.

Robin likes this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado

"Look at me! I couldn't even swing the note on the real AMG version of what was already barely a Mercedes!"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    VXR likes this.
  9. 05XR8

05XR8

I tell you, the only "real" hot hatch out there, is the Suzuki Swift Sport. Get it together, people.

VXR and Turbo like this.
  10. Turbo

Turbo (Banned)

You're not wrong, the Swift Sport was a very simplistic, yet driver focused hot hatch that wasn't at all gimmicky or overdone. Brings back the GT5 memories. My word, can that thing turn.

VXR and 05XR8 like this.
  11. kikie

kikie Premium

Not bad at all this hot Mercedes hatch. Except for the dashboard. Don't like that. The seats on the other hand, ... loving them.

Is the "AMG Track Pack which comes with MBUX Augmented Reality" the same thing as this?

12. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

Similar concept, different tech.

13. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

What a yobmobile.

14. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

When exactly did it leave the hot hatch world? The A45 has been produced for the last 5 years.

Turbo likes this.
  15. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Powder delivery vehicle.

16. Famine

Famine Administrator

Actually, Mercedes-AMG discontinued the A45 (and the GLA45 and CLA45) when the new A-Class arrived in May. The A45 replacement isn't due until 2019. So "May".

17. VXR

VXR

The Swift Sport really can turn. 18 months on it still surprises me, even more so on Yokohama S-Drive tyres. Sweet as a nut. It's basically the MX5 of the hatch world.

Turbo and 05XR8 like this.
  18. 05XR8

05XR8

These ultra hatches, are like supercars. I remember first reading about the Evo IIV doing sub 5 seconds. SVT Focus RS was about as extreme as a hot hatch got. Then, the 300hp Focus RS.

Clio R.S. kept the hot hatch going. 200 hp, NA, manual, lightweight. Perfect.
    The A35 looks fine to me. It's cool it can be compared to a Golf R and Focus RS. Other than the Integrale, I've been wanting to see these type cars since the Rally Golf.

19. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom Premium

The A35 looks alright. But I'm more excited for the second gen A45 which is rumored to have over 400 horsepower. And I'm also curious as to whether the A35 hatch will be sold over here in Canada. We're at least getting the regular A Class hatch.
    While the power outputs are similar, the Civic Type R is front wheel drive with a manual gearbox (Though that doesn't seem to hinder it much) while the A35 is all wheel drive with a twin clutch gearbox. That might make for an interesting comparison.
    The lesser A Classes offer front wheel drive (Though all wheel drive is available) but the AMG versions come standard with all wheel drive.

20. Saidur_Ali

Saidur_Ali

Just needs a taxi sign which will finish off the look...

21. kikie

kikie Premium

[​IMG]

At least this new A45 share a similar dashboard "idea" as the Mercedes Project One.

upload_2018-9-22_20-38-43.png

22. Robin

Robin Premium

I saw one the other day (normal A Class) and oh boy it was bland/ uninteresting at best and ugly at worst. I actually briefly thought it was the outgoing model because the side profile is so similar until I saw it's trangular face! The interior is neat but the rest of it is poor imo.

VXR likes this.
  23. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom Premium