Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
You run the risk of that happening in an open world game. In my Skyrim playthrough, I actually was playing into one of my DLC before I was finished with the main quest.

If someone could throw up the Ron Paul gif, yeah you know the one.

There is a major announcement coming on March 4th at 9am EST. The news will be sent out through IGN and the Metal Gear Solid site. On the MGS site, there is a timer.

I only have one thing to say........ @turdhat

I'm not a praying man, and now I'm in the unsavoury position of hoping it's not a release date, but...

Seriously though, I'm fully expecting a red herring or some sort of convoluted hint. If the announcement is 'MGS V is releasing worldwide on all platforms on xx/xx/2015' I will be surprised. And full of hats. Including @turdhat.

Hats? Announcements? Release dates? It's all so confusing! What has the world come to when not even our hats are safe?!?!

I can trust no one no more.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I would absolutely die if the announcement is that this is Kojima's last Metal Gear game.

Come to think of it, I would absolutely die if the announcement is that this is Kojima's last Metal Gear game.
Honestly, I don't think that there is anywhere that they could go with the series. TPP is set in 1984, so we're getting closer and closer to the original MG, which is set in 1995. The only real options would be to go for a pre-SE or post-GOTP world.

Honestly, I don't think that there is anywhere that they could go with the series. TPP is set in 1984, so we're getting closer and closer to the original MG, which is set in 1995. The only real options would be to go for a pre-SE or post-GOTP world.

I may be in the minority here but i think any more after this will just make an already confusing story even more complex.

I love the metal gear games but the story has gone way over my head for some time, i know the basic plot but there are so many twists and sub plots that it's a little too much to carry on such a story in my opinion.

Would love a re-boot of the series tho, kinda Resident Evil remake style, i know they kinda done that with twin snakes but i never got to play that and would love to experience the original PS1 Metal Gear with today's graphics.

I may be in the minority here but i think any more after this will just make an already confusing story even more complex.

I love the metal gear games but the story has gone way over my head for some time, i know the basic plot but there are so many twists and sub plots that it's a little too much to carry on such a story in my opinion.

Would love a re-boot of the series tho, kinda Resident Evil remake style, i know they kinda done that with twin snakes but i never got to play that and would love to experience the original PS1 Metal Gear with today's graphics.

Twin Snakes was great, even though it's biggest drawback was that it was considerably easier than the original PS1 version (the only bit that wasn't was the massive staircase since the Stun Grenades had been considerably nerfed). The fact that the Twin Snakes version wasn't included in the MGS HD Collection always annoyed me. Sure, I think then Nintendo still had an exclusivity claim, but to leave the first game out of the MGS Collection always felt like a kick in the nuts.

There's loads they could do, this is a Japanese IP after all. And even though I was joking and Kojima does say it's his last Metal Gear in the leaked IGN video, I think it's a mistranslation - he says the Metal Gear Solid arc is closed by TPP, so although the voiceover guy says it's Kojima's last Metal Gear game, I think Kojima means it's the last Metal Gear Solid game.

Personally, and I say this at every opportunity, I want to see a Metal Gear game where you play as The Boss in WWII because I think that, done right, could be absolutely amazing. The thing is, though, the Metal Gear timeline goes right back to 1860 when The End was born so it could easily become an Assassin's Creed kind of thing where each game goes to a different period in time and dresses up a villainous faction (like, say, the British side in the War of Independence or the Nazis in WWII) as being guided by - or just being - a precursor to The Philosophers, just as how Assassin's Creed explains a lot of conflicts as being the Templars doing... Templar things.

And The Twin Snakes was absolute rubbish (in my opinion, though I am pushing to have my opinions upgraded to universal truths), Metal Gear Solid's level design just didn't account for first person aiming, the M9 or PSG-1T so it was just trivially easy, or if I were to be more kind I guess I'd say the challenge of the original was completely changed into a different game. And that's ignoring the over the top (putting it mildly) cutscene direction that doesn't fit in with any other Metal Gear game except Rising.

The original is still a great game, it has aged far better than MGS2 has because the controls are simpler and the art style suits the limited graphical capability perfectly so it never looks like they over-reached what was possible at the time. The only actual problem with it is that you can't play it on anything but a PS1, 2 or 3. I suppose it's pretty simple to emulate, though, but I don't know how easy it is to deal with swapping the discs over. Point is, if it's not remade or re-released at some point, it'll die. Then again until they're all released on PC or game streaming becomes a thing, they'll die anyway.

Twin Snakes was great, even though it's biggest drawback was that it was considerably easier than the original PS1 version (the only bit that wasn't was the massive staircase since the Stun Grenades had been considerably nerfed). The fact that the Twin Snakes version wasn't included in the MGS HD Collection always annoyed me. Sure, I think then Nintendo still had an exclusivity claim, but to leave the first game out of the MGS Collection always felt like a kick in the nuts.

Twin Snakes and Resident Evil remake were the 2 games i've always wanted to play than i thought i would never get the chance to due to exclusive rights. But since Resident Evil made it onto PS3 and xbox I'm holding onto hope Twin Snakes will go the same way.

I agree, how can a collection be missing the first game in the series...

Collector's Edition has been announced. Article from Game Informer.

After yesterday’s errant leak of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date, you might have thought that all the news had been exhausted. Let us give you a hand.

Konami has announced some more details, including two different Collector’s Editions and a Day One edition with added content. Here’s what’s coming in each:

Day 1 and Steam Edition digital items (also comes with a map):

• Adam-ska Special Handgun
  • Personal Ballistic Shield (Silver)
  • Cardboard Box (Wetland)
  • Fatigues (Blue Urban Snake Costume)
  • METAL GEAR ONLINE XP BOOST
Collector’s Edition physical items:

• Half Scale Replica of Snake’s Bionic Arm
  • Collectible SteelBook
  • Behind the Scenes Documentary & Trailers Blu-ray Disc
  • Map
  • Exclusive Packaging
Collector’s Edition digital items:

• Weapon and Shield Pack
  • Windurger S333 Combat Special Revolver
  • Adam-ska Special Handgun
  • Maschinen Taktische Pistole 5 Weiss Special Handgun
  • Rasp Short-Barreled Shotgun Gold
  • Personal Ballistic Shield (Olive Drab)
  • Personal Ballistic Shield (Silver)
  • Personal Ballistic Shield (White)
  • Personal Ballistic Shield (Gold)
Cardboard Boxes

• Cardboard Box (Rocky Terrain)
  • Cardboard Box (All-Purpose Dryland)
  • Cardboard Box (Wetland)
Snake Costumes

• Fatigues (Black Ocelot)
  • Fatigues (Gray Urban)
  • Fatigues (Blue Urban)
  • Fatigues (All-Purpose Dryland)
Other

• "VENOM SNAKE" Emblem
Metal Gear Online

• XP Boost
  • Metal Gear Rex Helmet
  • AM MRS-4 GOLD Assault Rifle
  • WU S. PISTOL GOLD
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be out on September 1 for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3. The PC version will arrive on September 15.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is priced as follows:

• Xbox One, PS4, and PC Standard/Day 1: $59.99
  • Xbox One and PS4 Collector’s Edition: $99.99
  • Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3: $49.99

Neema, did I read that correctly? Did you say I can play a ps1 game on my ps3?
Or did you mean I have to buy it on the ps store, then Play it on my ps3?

I'm easily confused.
I thought you needed a ps1 or 2 to play a ps1 game.......

In other news,

September?!!!? :grumpy:

I've been working through ground zeroes again and then I started GOTP again to kill the time and refresh my metal gear brain in time for TPP.
Now I'm going to be out on my motorbike when they finally get around to releasing it and I won't have time for meddle geeeeeer.

Grrr.....

:irked:👍

Neema, did I read that correctly? Did you say I can play a ps1 game on my ps3?
Or did you mean I have to buy it on the ps store, then Play it on my ps3?

I'm easily confused.
I thought you needed a ps1 or 2 to play a ps1 game.......

You can do either, the third game I ever played on PS3 was an original Metal Gear Solid disc, or you can just buy it. The PSN version is the only way you can play VR Missions without a PS1, I think; it never worked on PS2 either.

You can do either, the third game I ever played on PS3 was an original Metal Gear Solid disc, or you can just buy it. The PSN version is the only way you can play VR Missions without a PS1, I think; it never worked on PS2 either.
The PS2 should have full hardware backwards compatibility, so I don't see a reason why VR Missions won't work on the system...

The PS2 should have full hardware backwards compatibility, so I don't see a reason why VR Missions won't work on the system...

When you swap the disc at the start it just exits the game and takes you back to the system menu, I remember being very sad about that because the mystery missions and playing as Grey Fox were so much fun, but I think the Slim let you get around it if you just left the lid open and pressed the button that fooled the console into thinking the lid was closed. I tried the disc version on PS3, too, that didn't work either. I maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think you could transition to MGS's second disc on the PS2... Maybe you could, though. You could on PS3.

There's loads they could do, this is a Japanese IP after all. And even though I was joking and Kojima does say it's his last Metal Gear in the leaked IGN video, I think it's a mistranslation - he says the Metal Gear Solid arc is closed by TPP, so although the voiceover guy says it's Kojima's last Metal Gear game, I think Kojima means it's the last Metal Gear Solid game.

Personally, and I say this at every opportunity, I want to see a Metal Gear game where you play as The Boss in WWII because I think that, done right, could be absolutely amazing. The thing is, though, the Metal Gear timeline goes right back to 1860 when The End was born so it could easily become an Assassin's Creed kind of thing where each game goes to a different period in time and dresses up a villainous faction (like, say, the British side in the War of Independence or the Nazis in WWII) as being guided by - or just being - a precursor to The Philosophers, just as how Assassin's Creed explains a lot of conflicts as being the Templars doing... Templar things.
I don't think that's really possible because there's no open-ended questions that need resolving. We know who the Philosophers are, and we know that the Metal Gear legacy starts with the Shagohod. I don't think anything that could happen pre-SE will give us any deeper understanding of the people or events that led to the Boss' defection.

On the other hand, TPP still has a lot to explore - like just how much Big Boss knew about Cipher/Zero, and what events led to his reintroduction to the American armed forces despite his falling-out with the establishment.

Latest Posts

Back