• 3,057 comments
r8fsz43.png

Ground Zeroes
Developer:
Kojima Productions
Publisher: Konami
Engine: Fox Engine
Platforms: PC, PS4, X1, PS3, X360
Game Type: Stealth action, Third-person shooter, Open-world.
Console release: NA - Mar. 18, 2014 EU - Mar. 20, 2014
PC release - Dec. 18, 2014

Director Hideo Kojima confirmed that Naked Snake will return as the game's protagonist in a story that will serve as a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5.

Gaming Everything
Hideo Kojima has kicked off the Metal Gear 25th anniversary event in Japan. A stage show is currently being held for new announcements.

Following the Metal Gear Solid movie unveiling and less-exciting Metal Gear Solid Social Ops game for GREE, Kojima pulled back the curtain on a brand new Metal Gear Solid game – Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes.

Based on a variety of tweets, it’s an open-world title that uses the Fox Engine. Platforms haven’t been confirmed as of yet, but a demo was shown running on a PC at current-gen specs.

From 8-4′s Mark McDonald:

“Demo of ‘Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes’, started w cutscene (all realtime), went into gameplay, open world, night, raining, base. AMAZING … Snake crawled @ avoiding searchlights, killed guard, rode jeep, called in heli for evac. Sounds like MG, but the scale & atmosphere… Wow.”

MGSVTPP.jpg

The Phantom Pain
Developer:
Kojima Productions
Publisher: Konami
Engine: Fox Engine
Platforms: PC, PS4, X1, PS3, X360
Game Type: Stealth action, Third-person shooter, Open-world.
Release: NA - Sept. 1, 2015 EU - Sept. 1, 2015
PC - Sept. 1, 2015

Last edited:
That picture, its definitely Big Boss. He has an eye patch over his right eye, Solidus and Solid Snake had eye patches over they're left eyes. Expect this game to be set after Peace Walker.

That picture, its definitely Big Boss. He has an eye patch over his right eye, Solidus and Solid Snake had eye patches over they're left eyes. Expect this game to be set after Peace Walker.

Look at it again. The eye band is on the right side meaning the patch is on the left(the picture is looking at a Snake from the right, not the left). Another way to debunk your little theory is that the gun in the picture is an M4 Carbine, and those have been in service in the US since the mid 90's.

Finally there is the problem of Kojima's comments to french magazine IG where he said that, "We have not yet finished with Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."

This points out that it could be a Solidus game, or that the game itself is set between Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 which is more likely at this point.

Oh, I just realised now. But the beard is similar to Big Boss. However I'm now almost certain its Solid Snake, Solidus had blond hair similar to Liquids and wore an exoskeleton similar to Raiden's. Maybe a cure was found for Solid Snake's rapid aging and FOXDIE? The appearance is a nod to his MGS2 look, so maybe its set inbetween MGS1 and MGS2. It was mentioned that Snake worked with Otacon to destroy countless Metal Gears that were being produced after MG Rex's specs were leaked. We'll find out sooner or later.

Sanji Himura
This points out that it could be a Solidus game, or that the game itself is set between Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 which is more likely at this point.

I disagree. I believe this is after mgs2. Look at the wrinkles on his face. I know it was last gen, but snake's face hadn't really aged by that point.

And that's not an M4 Carbine, I think it's an LR 300. Just saying.

lr300a.jpg

(ignore the fact that every other one on Google has a different stock please (but look at the foregrip, it's not an M4 foregrip))

Oh and I believe that patch on his shoulder is the Militaires sans Frontiers insignia:

Militairessansfrontieres.png

So I reckon it's Big Boss. But then in the picture SimonK posted it looks like that fox insignia from MGS3 that's also the Kojima Productions logo... But then again in SimonK's picture the eyepatch is on the opposite side. I might stop editing this post now and wait for a response before adding more.

Last edited:
Oh and I believe that patch on his shoulder is the Militaires sans Frontiers insignia:

Militairessansfrontieres.png

That maybe true, but Rat Patrol in MGS4 used the FoxHound patch to tell themselves apart from the other units because of Meryl's connection with the unit at Shadow Moses. It could be that Solid Snake uses the patch while doing missions for Philanthropy because of his connection with Big Boss.

And that's not an M4 Carbine, I think it's an LR 300. Just saying.

I have looked up the gun in my little research guide, and I think that it is more likely that instead of a M16 as a previous poster has implied. The gun has been in service since 2000, and it would absolutely fit in either a "Between MGS and MGS2" or a "after MGS2" storyline.

Sanji Himura
That maybe true, but Rat Patrol in MGS4 used the FoxHound patch to tell themselves apart from the other units because of Meryl's connection with the unit at Shadow Moses. It could be that Solid Snake uses the patch while doing missions for Philanthropy because of his connection with Big Boss.

Could be, but it's a little unlikely; Meryl lived through Shadow Moses and joined Foxhound afterwards (if I'm recalling it correctly) so she herself would have worn that emblem; Snake was never a member of MSF and probably wasn't Big Boss' biggest fan. I mean he does always go on about how he and Grey Fox were friends who were on opposite sides but Big Boss directly betrayed Snake, so... I don't know. It just seems a little odd to me that he'd feel like honouring the memory or paying a similar tribute, but you never know.

Then again the Metal Gear series has never been great with historical accuracy nor continuity, a good example is Vamp and the explanation of how he could run on water. In MGS2 he was wearing what seemed to me to be pretty normal slacks and shoes, in MGS4 it was revealed that no, he was wearing the same gear the FROGS were the ENTIRE time! Ah well. Also this may not be a canonical release, though I hope it is.

Could be, but it's a little unlikely; Meryl lived through Shadow Moses and joined Foxhound afterwards (if I'm recalling it correctly) so she herself would have worn that emblem; Snake was never a member of MSF and probably wasn't Big Boss' biggest fan. I mean he does always go on about how he and Grey Fox were friends who were on opposite sides but Big Boss directly betrayed Snake, so... I don't know. It just seems a little odd to me that he'd feel like honouring the memory or paying a similar tribute, but you never know.
In MGS2 it was said that FoxHound really disbanded after Shadow Moses. I don't recall who said it since I haven't played the Plant chapter in a while, but the "FoxHound" that existed in MGS2 was all a ploy by GW in its S3 plan.

Then again the Metal Gear series has never been great with historical accuracy nor continuity, a good example is Vamp and the explanation of how he could run on water. In MGS2 he was wearing what seemed to me to be pretty normal slacks and shoes, in MGS4 it was revealed that no, he was wearing the same gear the FROGS were the ENTIRE time! Ah well. Also this may not be a canonical release, though I hope it is.

Vamp's ability to walk on water can be explained. According to the documentary, Metal Gear Saga vol. 1, Kojima explained that there was going to be another member of Dead Cell that Raiden was supposed to fight in Shell 2 by the name of Chinaman instead of Vamp. His character model would have been taken after Jet Li(yes, the actor) and have a tattoo of a dragon that would have come alive if Chinaman went under the water. When Chinaman was cut from the final release of the game, his abilities was absorbed into Vamp.

You would have fought Vamp, had the original release happened, in a chapel like area with a final blow being dealt by a big cross being stabbed into Vamp.

Intriguing, I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for the info as always!
Same here and you're very welcome. 👍 :cheers:

Here's a long read about more of what was seen. Hope we get the video released soon.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes shows off Fox Engine shine and possible open-world elements

Gamespot
The scene starts in a remote military base with heavy rain. The camera is following a shadowy figure in a business suit and hat accompanied by a number of well-armed soldiers and guard dogs as he converses with a little boy in a cage. He throws a portable music player after some dialogue and the boy proceeded to use it. The rest of the scene was playing "Here's To You" from the film "Sacco e Vanzetti" (also on Metal Gear Solid 4) as the man in a coat rides off to an airfield before taking off on a helicopter to an undisclosed location. Before erasing the "XOF" emblem off of the helicopter, he took out his hat and speaks about what transpired in very vague words. His face and head was all burned-up and scarred with no hair; at this point in time, we have no idea who he is. He proceeded to toss away all a stash of mini "XOF" emblems as he flew off with the rest of the soldiers.

After that, out comes a spy climbing from a cliffside near the base followed by the subtitles "From FOX, two phantoms were born". As he flips up his visors, we saw the trademark eyepatch and gruff face with the facial hair: Solid Snake seems to be back at a glance. He's referred to as Snake; no, not Solid Snake, Old Snake or Naked Snake, just Snake at the moment, so there's a chance that he could be some clone or someone posing as Solid Snake. Whatever the case, he definitely looks much younger than Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4. Old-school fans yearning for the days of a nimbler stealth action hero can sigh with relief at this revelation.

Series creator Hideo Kojima then took centrestage and showed off the title's gameplay for a few minutes. We see Snake do what he does best: go in a prone state and sneak around (no Octocam this time; just old-fashioned crawling and hiding), as well as going into aiming mode in third person shooting a nearby guard at a security post. We should also mention that the demo gave out a sandbox open-world vibe; the military base itself felt expansive and huge, and Snake can summon a helicopter to bring him around as well as drive a jeep to go from point A to B. Kojima did state that he wishes to add a new spin to the stealth genre; even when you're discovered, you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen.

Intriguing.

May the speculation commence! No, wait, continue!

I'm putting money on the burnt face man being Solidus but Snake being a new Snake clone. Seriously can't wait for the video, if this really can combine an open world with classic Metal Gear stealth, including the meta-games from Peace Walker and the gun-nut-sating number of weapons from PW and MGS4 (plus customisation), I'll be so happy, even though I pretty much only ever used the tranquiliser and stun weapons... It was just nice to have a huge array of stuff to kill other stuff with, just in case.

It could be. That still doesn't indicate the return of Big Boss in the game since the gun is more than likely an LR-300.

So the original was definitely (intentionally) flipped and the patch is on his right eye, not the left.

It's the left eye in the readable text version :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up as another solid snake clone (like Metal Gear Ac!d).

I see both of them (eye patch on different eyes) across the different pictures. So in actual fact the whole 'two playable characters' isn't an idea to dismiss.

This game is "Metal Gear Solid 5" which there is already a thread made found in my link. I'll be changing the name to 'Ground Zeroes'.

Oh, and Big Boss' rifle is nothing made past 1980. To me, it looks like a FN FNC prototype.

Solid Lifters
This game is "Metal Gear Solid 5" which there is already a thread made found in my link. I'll be changing the name to 'Ground Zeroes'.

Oh, and Big Boss' rifle is nothing made past 1980. To me, it looks like a FN FNC prototype.

Well it's not called MGS5 so it could be a spin-off of the canonical story, MGS5 could exist alongside Ground Zeroes... Not trying to start an argument or anything.

Also it does look way more like an FN FNC than LR 300, especially since the picture I posted was the only one I could find with the same stock, the rest are all different. And that doesn't really look like an AR-15 receiver. I thought the FNC was a shortened FAL (7.62mm) which is why it didn't ring any bells as that rifle is obviously a 5.56mm (STANAG magazine). The stock, foregrip and receiver all match, as does the rear sight.

Well it's not called MGS5 so it could be a spin-off of the canonical story, MGS5 could exist alongside Ground Zeroes... Not trying to start an argument or anything.

Also it does look way more like an FN FNC than LR 300, especially since the picture I posted was the only one I could find with the same stock, the rest are all different. And that doesn't really look like an AR-15 receiver. I thought the FNC was a shortened FAL (7.62mm) which is why it didn't ring any bells as that rifle is obviously a 5.56mm (STANAG magazine). The stock, foregrip and receiver all match, as does the rear sight.

I doubt very much that MGS:GZ AND MGS:5 are different games. It doesn't make sense that Konami is making MGS5 and wouldn't announce it at the anniversary party.

Besides, I've been reasearching this for almost two days and NOTHING has shown me that there are two different games in the works. Plus, in the interview in my thread, Kojima never said MGS5. That's why I've concluded they are one in the same.

Yes, I could be wrong. But, I doubt it. That's why I went with the name change.

It's the left eye in the readable text version :lol:

No it's not.

I see both of them (eye patch on different eyes) across the different pictures. So in actual fact the whole 'two playable characters' isn't an idea to dismiss.

In the three pictures we've seen we know two are the right way around because of the text. The only one without text is the one with the patch on the other eye and with the newer version of that photo with reversed text I'd say the other two are correct and this 'Snake' has the patch on his right eye.

Back