Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
I am a little concerned that PC preorders on Steam are still not available... I have a bad feeling they may have quietly canned it, which would be a shame. Well, it would be the worst thing to happen to PC gaming since GFWL, but at least I have the console option.

I am a little concerned that PC preorders on Steam are still not available... I have a bad feeling they may have quietly canned it, which would be a shame. Well, it would be the worst thing to happen to PC gaming since GFWL, but at least I have the console option.
My guess is that it's going to just get pushed back some more. A two weeks lead isn't enough to ensure that the console versions sell well enough, I assume.

It would have to be the biggest example of a company cutting off it's nose to spite it's face that I can think of. The PC version must be a playable beta by now, so even if they released it as is it'd just be buggier than expected.

They'd have to be colossal morons to pass up what is basically free money. Unless it's Arkham Knight levels of unplayable people will still buy it. Then again, they appear to be colossal morons in their handling of the Kojima saga so it's hard to tell.

It would have to be the biggest example of a company cutting off it's nose to spite it's face that I can think of. The PC version must be a playable beta by now, so even if they released it as is it'd just be buggier than expected.

They'd have to be colossal morons to pass up what is basically free money. Unless it's Arkham Knight levels of unplayable people will still buy it. Then again, they appear to be colossal morons in their handling of the Kojima saga so it's hard to tell.

Well my thinking is because KojiPro has been canned, Konami may want to get the game as finished as it can be - in terms of minimising post-release updates and patches to save money and development time - so they'd have an incentive to focus on QA testing the hell out of the console versions to make sure they'd only have to issue, say, one patch to make it perfect (or at least good enough) at the expense of testing the PC version, and now that PC gamers can get refunds on Steam they'd also have a good incentive to not release something visibly unfinished - just look what happened with Arkham Knight!

Then again, it would appear that Nvidia will be offering TPP with their graphics cards (I'm kicking myself for not waiting for Skylake to build my new PC, because then I would've gotten TPP instead of Arkham Knight...) so that's pretty strong evidence that I'm just being an idiot.

So they disbanded Kojima Productions. I hope it doesn't mean bad post launch support because I'm quite sure game that big with open world environment will need a couple of patches to smooth all the quirks and inevitable glitches. Plus all the MGO stuff (as a matter of fact I hope they change the whole Konami ID system and micro transaction pricing won't be as ridiculous as it was in last MGO).

About PC version , as usual in this business probably some outside company is porting the game to PC.

About PC version , as usual in this business probably some outside company is porting the game to PC.

It was Kojima Productions LA, they're now Konami Los Angeles Studio so I imagine at least some of them kept their jobs, if not all of them.

MGSV: TPP download size....PS4-25.1GB/PS3-11.7GB
MGS5PS3.jpg MGS5PS4.jpg

MGS5Poster2.jpg

Only 25gb? That's worrying. I was hoping it would have uncompressed sound, along with the usual lossy Dolby or DTS. Then again, I have a feeling that the physical version uses close to the entire disc, as I have a feeling that digital games are often compressed further in order to make the download easier. Just a theory, of course.

You get a mini cardboard box when you buy the game and OST at Tsutaya. The dimensions of the cardboard box are W160mm x D243mm x H180mm, the game and OST can fit inside it.

4WeBLZo.jpg

PUMA collaboration.
CKkuOLfUEAE83kt.jpg
CKkuOLgUsAAj3hh.jpg

Finally gave in to temptation and looked at the map. Some of the detail is hard to make out, but I was hoping for a bit more variety. Maybe we'll get it with the Africa map, but my understanding is that it's only a small part of the game.

Having said that, the map is said to be 200 times the size of the Ground Zeroes map, so for all we know, there's more to it. This is called "Northern Kabul" and the western edge appears to be cut off.

ST-84 Metal Gear "recruitable"; D-Walker has a Dock attachment:

Second is a discussion on Kojima himself. Back a few months ago, Rika Muranaka issued a statement on the fate of Kojima. Apparently, that statement has been taken out of context as she issued another statement.

(Note: The discussion starts at 1:20 into the video, after the statement.)

So is everyone going to do another playthrough of Ground Zeroes just before Phantom Pain releases? As I understand it, it carries directly over to the Phantom Pain, which I assume means that it'll skip the rescue mission, or at least offer the option of skipping it. Then again, they might've made changes to the mission... What to do, what to do.... easily my most anticipated game ever. Even more so than Last of Us.

After finishing TW3: Wild Hunt, I started slowly working towards 100%ing Ground Zeroes. "S" ranked the main mission on normal. "A" rank on hard. "S" ranked a few of the other normal missions. I have no idea how I'm going to do a no weapons completion of the main mission on hard, it seems near impossible. I'll probably have to find a youtube walkthrough for it.

I can't wait for TPP to come out. Here's hoping the game is even greater than the hype for it!

Does anyone know if the game will feature a photo mode? Given how big this game will be, and how big the franchise is as a whole, it's almost a shame that we don't have a dedicated forum for it.

Would be fun to have a thread with a score board for different accomplishments in the game. Like who among us have the fastest time on any given mission, or who has the longest tranq headshot, and so on.

I wonder if we can upload our own songs to use for the helicopter. I kind of want it to play "MURICA! 🤬 YEAH!" Whenever it appears :lol:

I'm sure if you get the PC version someone will make a mod for that. Because that would be super awesome. :)

I'm sure if you get the PC version someone will make a mod for that. Because that would be super awesome. :)

Prefer to play games like this on console, with surround sound and a big screen TV. Besides, I doubt my PC could max it out. Also no collectors edition for the PC, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Sounds like there won't be any need for a mod, it'll support it natively (or so the dev post on Steam says).

Oh boy, it's so close now. Too exciting. I guess I'll have to finally make an effort and 100% Ground Zeroes, too, I think I was on 96% or so.

I'm playing through peace walker for the first time.
For those of you who passed this game up, I strongly recommend picking up a copy of the HD edition.
It's a really deep game for what was originally released on psp.
I'm hating some of the boss battles, but loving it otherwise, and I'm sure it will carry me right through to TPP's release.....

:irked:👍

More Konami News. Nikkei has put out a report on Konami that basically confirms what youtuber Super Bunny Hop said a few months ago, but only worse.

Notable examples in the report:

- Culture at the company shifted from traditional, hardcore games to cheaper, social titles in 2010 when Konami shipped a mobile game called Dragon Collection, which earned huge profit and a low budget.

- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has a development budget of over 10 billion yen ($80 million USD).

- Kojima Productions (or rather what's left of it) is now known as Number 8 Production Department. The department's computers have NO internet access and may only communicate internally within the department.

- Employees that leave on their lunch break are monitored with time cards. [Note: Companies in the US do the same thing.] If said employee is one minute late, he is embarrassed in front of the entire company.

- Most Konami employees do not have permanent email addresses. The notable exception is those employees who deal with PR, but everyone else is required to change their email address every few months.

- Konami Developers (This would include Iga, Kojima and other top name producers) who aren't seen as useful are reassigned to other duties such as being a security guard, janitor at one of their fitness clubs, or working the assembly line at their Pachi-Slot factory. In 2013, Japanese newspaper Asahi News reported on a former Konami employee who allegedly went from development to working in a Konami pachi-slot factory, which led him into severe depression.

- After announcing on Facebook that he was leaving Konami for another job, Konami monitored that post. The company reassigned everyone within the company who "liked" the post.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/nikkei-report-bad-things-happening-konami

More Konami News. Nikkei has put out a report on Konami that basically confirms what youtuber Super Bunny Hop said a few months ago, but only worse.

Notable examples in the report:

- Culture at the company shifted from traditional, hardcore games to cheaper, social titles in 2010 when Konami shipped a mobile game called Dragon Collection, which earned huge profit and a low budget.

- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has a development budget of over 10 billion yen ($80 million USD).

- Kojima Productions (or rather what's left of it) is now known as Number 8 Production Department. The department's computers have NO internet access and may only communicate internally within the department.

- Employees that leave on their lunch break are monitored with time cards. [Note: Companies in the US do the same thing.] If said employee is one minute late, he is embarrassed in front of the entire company.

- Most Konami employees do not have permanent email addresses. The notable exception is those employees who deal with PR, but everyone else is required to change their email address every few months.

- Konami Developers (This would include Iga, Kojima and other top name producers) who aren't seen as useful are reassigned to other duties such as being a security guard, janitor at one of their fitness clubs, or working the assembly line at their Pachi-Slot factory. In 2013, Japanese newspaper Asahi News reported on a former Konami employee who allegedly went from development to working in a Konami pachi-slot factory, which led him into severe depression.

- After announcing on Facebook that he was leaving Konami for another job, Konami monitored that post. The company reassigned everyone within the company who "liked" the post.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/nikkei-report-bad-things-happening-konami

🤬 Konami.

Latest Posts

Back