Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
Reading some of the reviews, it sounds like the story takes a back seat at times, but the quality of the writing itself is reportedly a significant improvement on previous entries in the series.
I welcome that with open arms. I'm playing a game, not watching a film. If want to find out more, which I will, I will go looking for that story.

I don't want the story to take a backseat. Sadness :(
From the sounds of things, the story is mostly told through audio tapes and cut-scenes between missions. Probably because the game allows you so much freedom in completing your objectives, but also because there's a mystery that needs to be solved and it takes a while to start putting the pieces together. And a lot of reviewers are commenting that they're always exploring, always looking for new resources and staff and blueprints, so maybe that's affecting their experience of the pace of the story.

From the sounds of things, the story is mostly told through audio tapes and cut-scenes between missions. Probably because the game allows you so much freedom in completing your objectives, but also because there's a mystery that needs to be solved and it takes a while to start putting the pieces together. And a lot of reviewers are commenting that they're always exploring, always looking for new resources and staff and blueprints, so maybe that's affecting their experience of the pace of the story.

Hopefully you're right. Just 7 days to go!

It's not that I don't want more gameplay that what we had in MGS4. But I think it would be a shame if we don't get a healthy dose of Kojima's excellent cinematography.

But I think it would be a shame if we don't get a healthy dose of Kojima's excellent cinematography.
My understanding is that it's a combination of audio tapes and cut-scenes. The cut-scenes drive the narrative, with the audio tapes supplementing the main plot points.

Personally, I love the idea of Snake holing up in a cave to listen to a prized - but incomplete - bit of intel that he's just worked hard to acquire, and trying to make sense of it before returning to Mother Base.

I strongly recommend not watching the video!

Because that Metal Gear is terrifying
and I really wish I hadn't seen it before playing up to that point.

How many of you guys are playing on PC vs. PS4, etc? I hope PC has a vibrant and not completely cockful FOB mmo experience. The FOB metagame looks really interesting.

Because I know TPP will have bonus goodies for those who played Ground Zeroes, looks like I'll be getting this one on PS4. :P

I hope to be playing the PC version. But at this rate, Konami'll have already pulled it off Steam by the time Steam Support helps me regain access to my account.

XONE for me. I'm upgrading from my 360; I figure that if I can trade in my console and eight or nine games that I don't play anymore, I can get a healthy slice of store credit.

If you get TPP on Steam, they're throwing in GZ for free.
Is this a time limited offer? I probably won't have the money to purchase the game before or on day one, so that might be an issue. :P

If you get TPP on Steam, they're throwing in GZ for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main GZ mission is part of Phantom pain, right? As in, it is included in the Phantom Pain campaign. I think giving out a free copy of GZ is mainly to boost sales from people who already own it, gifting it to friends, and thus, increasing the number of people interested in the main game. Uhh, I feel like my commas took a dive....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main GZ mission is part of Phantom pain, right? As in, it is included in the Phantom Pain campaign. I think giving out a free copy of GZ is mainly to boost sales from people who already own it, gifting it to friends, and thus, increasing the number of people interested in the main game. Uhh, I feel like my commas took a dive....
I don't believe this is the case, no. I think the original plan was to do that, but

"Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain were originally supposed to be released together, but The Phantom Pain‍ 's long development time resulted in Kojima splitting the project into two parts to allow players to experience the gameplay of Metal Gear Solid V prior to the full game's release."

As far as I understood it, it was more about introducing players to an entirely new and different MGS game, as well as funding Phantom Pain, as it is looking to be the most expensive MGS game to date. I'm fairly confident that the Ground Zeroes mission is part of Phantom Pain. It is after intregal to the plot.

Damn... I don't know now. If it's not included, I'll have to play it the evening before Phantom Pain releases.

Also, to answer Omnis original question. PS4 Collector's Edition all the way!

Last edited:
I'm fairly confident that the Ground Zeroes mission is part of Phantom Pain. It is after intregal to the plot.

Damn... I don't know now. If it's not included, I'll have to play it the evening before Phantom Pain releases.
It's crucial, yes, but it really just bridges Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain. I doubt that there is anything that you will learn which is key to the story but is not covered in The Phantom Pain.

Can anyone tell me how to progress in peace walker once I've destroyed the bot and the end credits roll.......

I've been running around reclaiming zedoorknob for over a week and occasionally doing some other missions, and I climbed inside a box with Paz once.......

But aren't I supposed to actually destroy my own medal geeeeeeeeeere at some point?
And exactly how do I collect head parts?

Yeah sorry, off topic.....

:irked:👍

But aren't I supposed to actually destroy my own medal geeeeeeeeeere at some point?
You need to finish ZEKE first. To get head parts, you will need to revisit the boss fights. They're given up randomly, so you might have to grind for a while. Once you have built it, you will need to unlock the final Zadornov Hunt mission; just do each of the Side Ops to unlock more. Eventually, you will get one where he's hiding inside Mother Base; go back to the shooting range, and you'll find him upstairs. That should open up the final fight with ZEKE, which will explain what happened to Paz.

If you're still stuck, you should be able to find a guide online.

Yeah sorry, off topic.....

If I remember correctly, to collect parts you have to kill a boss by hitting the AI pod only. If you want AI boards, kill the boss by hitting everything that isn't the AI pod. Destroying parts you want AI boards for will unlock them in the pod. Different difficulties of each boss carries different grades of board and you won't be able to get them all in one fight. AI boards improve ZEKE's stats and such.

As for @Omnis' question, I've already got the PC version. I've spent a fair bit of time today working out which songs I'll add as custom heli music. America, Heck Yeah! is going to be one of them, obviously, as is Eye of the Tiger, the Terminator music and probably a few from old Metal Gear soundtracks. Maybe also some self help audiobooks.

Different difficulties of each boss carries different grades of board and you won't be able to get them all in one fight. AI boards improve ZEKE's stats and such.
Pupa and Cocoon are probably the best two to go after. I'd only take on Chrysalis with a homing missile, and even then, it's a frustrating fight. Peace Walker itself - especially on higher difficulties - is probably too intense to start targeting specific parts, particularly when it goes into its launch sequence.

I've spent a fair bit of time today working out which songs I'll add as custom heli music. America, Heck Yeah! is going to be one of them, obviously, as is Eye of the Tiger, the Terminator music and probably a few from old Metal Gear soundtracks.
I would recommend UNKLE's "Lonely Souls" from the Psyence Fiction album, Kasabian's "Club Foot" from their self-titled debut or "Underdog" from West Ryder Lunatic Pauper Asylum or "Re-Wired" from Velociraptor!, Soundgarden's "Fourth of July" from Superunknown, Leonard Cohen"s "Nevermind" from Popular Problems (which you may know as the theme from the second season of "True Detective"), or Dame Shirley Bassey's "No Good About Goodbye" (but I have no idea where you would find it; it was a rejected Quantum of Solace theme).

Thankyou both very much for your advice.

And also an insight into your musical tastes.....

Unusually for the most part I agree with both of you......

The terminator theme as you fly in would be very fitting.

Der dun, dun der dun.
Der dun, dun der dun.
Repeat with added intensity and 80's synth.

Kasabian's "Club Foot" from their self-titled debut or "Underdog" from West Ryder Lunatic Pauper Asylum or "Re-Wired" from Velociraptor!
Excellent choices, but I feel for Big Boss and his escapades, it has to be Doberman from the Empire Album.

Just fits in my eyes.

Excellent choices, but I feel for Big Boss and his escapades, it has to be Doberman from the Empire Album.
I'd also recommend Them Crooked Vultures' "Gunman" or "Highway 1", but I think they only ever played it on tour (still, it's John Paul Jones with an electric mandolin):

Then there's Queens of the Stone Age's "If I Had A Tail" from ... Like Clockwork, "The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" from Rated R and "Mexicola" from their self-titled debut.

And I would especially recommend The Animals' cover of "Boom Boom" - it's the song Javier Bardem blasts over the helicopter loudspeaker at the climax of Skyfall.

Last edited:
In reality I think I'll probably end up with a load of country music, especially:

I may also see if I can find some quiet music to play while sneaking around, but that depends on how good and varied the in-game music is.

Edit: Language warning, but this is an entertaining read. Nothing interesting, useful or new, especially given what the URL is, it's also quite... Um... I dunno, just read it, or don't.

Last edited:
Edit: Language warning, but this is an entertaining read. Nothing interesting, useful or new, especially given what the URL is, it's also quite... Um... I dunno, just read it, or don't.
That was quite an interesting read actually.

And I agree, we have come to an age in which we failed to realize what art actually is; is not what is about, is about what we make out of it.

Still not available in my place. But will see. Well see later on Saturday.

Online available? Because i might play online with you guys.

I'm not sure where to post this but...

20150827_220549.jpg

20150827_220607.jpg

Blurry images I know but at least you could see what I'm having right now...:):gtpflag:

I Can't wait to get BACK HOME!!

Last edited:
Back