MG cars

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 54 comments
Photo of an un-camouflaged production-spec Cyberster has been released, in addition to design patents:

MG’s Cyberster Electric Sports Car Spotted Undisguised

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 3.16.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 3.16.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 3.16.53 PM.png

I already hate that indicator/blinker design. I thought the Union Jack rear lights on the BINIs were stupid, but these take the cake. The rest of the car looks great too, which makes it all the more annoying, to me at least.

I already hate that indicator/blinker design. I thought the Union Jack rear lights on the BINIs were stupid, but these take the cake. The rest of the car looks great too, which makes it all the more annoying, to me at least.
At least these don't point in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

MG says the Essence can travel up to 435km on a single charge, and sets a precedent for future all-electric models, which are also to arrive on the Chinese brand’s MSP platform. High speed DC charging is offered at a rate of up to 135kW, MG quoting a charge time of 60 minutes (to 80 per cent) using a 50kW DC rapid charger.

Standard features for the five-door model include the MG Pilot advanced driver assistance system, dusk-sensing LED head- and tail-lights, rear parking sensors, 18-inch alloy wheels, adaptive cruise control, climate control and MG iSmart app connectivity.

A two-tone roof, twin aero spoiler, and wireless phone charging are likewise standard.

Safety equipment for the MG4 includes blind spot detection, lane change assist, rear cross-traffic alert and a 360-degree camera system.

The Essence grade of the MG4 is further said to offer “exceptional storage” with interior and cargo space up there with the best in class.

In other markets, the MG4 EV is available with 51kWh and 64kWh capacities, which are said to offer ranges of up to 350km and 450km respectively.

“Following the success of the ZS EV in September last year, we have listened to our customers’ feedback and have fast-tracked the arrival of our new ZS EV Long Range.

“We know Australians love to drive and now they can go even further thanks to a larger 72kWh battery pack and 440km range in the ZS EV Long Range.

Last edited:
I don’t know why people love to hate on SAIC MG so much.

Sure, they’re owned by the Chinese so it’s not a purely “British” brand anymore, but from what I recall they’re still designed by Brits in Longbridge and London, and pretty consistently get good reviews across their range.

I think their cars are quite the lookers too, in an automotive industry full of manufacturers trying to make everything look too futuristic for the sake of it, their cars feel like a breath of fresh air.

They might not be perfect (they do have issues with supplying parts promptly IIRC), but to say they’re crap cars all around is just being contrarian for the sake of it. Like how everyone looked down on Japanese manufacturers in the 70s, now look where they are!

Last edited:
from what I recall they’re still designed by Brits in Longbridge and London
If this is true then hopefully the Chinese investment allows them to become successful again. But it's really a shame that there isn't enough money or interest in the whole of England to own the brand at home again. Same situation with VW and Scout.

If this is true then hopefully the Chinese investment allows them to become successful again. But it's really a shame that there isn't enough money or interest in the whole of England to own the brand at home again. Same situation with VW and Scout.
British Businessmen were the ones who bought it back from BMW and royally screwed it (though rather intentionally so they could reap the profits, it's an interesting story if you google the Phoenix Four.)

This particular model has an ugly rear end thanks to the brake lights and an absolutely awful name.
Ugly rear end yes, but we don't even know if it's going to be called the Cyberster for the UK market (for example, the MG4 EV is called the Mulan in China.)
Not sure how that applies to most of my points, though maybe I should make it clearer I'm just speaking in general.

Throughout social media you'll see comments like "CHINEASE OWN MG NOW,,,CRAP CARS,,,," from disgruntled Barry, 57s up and down the country, but maybe they should wonder why the Chinese are slowly enveloping the European market.

Companies like Ford Europe are leaving budget focused customers in the dust in a desperate attempt to appeal to the posher SUV-loving market and I think (and hope) it's a bet that will end badly for them. There is still an appeal for the humble hatchback and MG proves it (see MG4 EV and MG3 sales).

Last edited:
Throughout social media you'll see comments like "CHINEASE OWN MG NOW,,,CRAP CARS,,,," from disgruntled Barry, 57s up and down the country, but maybe they should wonder why the Chinese are slowly enveloping the European market.
No, I agree. On the whole British car companies were generally crap when owned by the British themselves and only the good (see: profitable) bits got swallowed up by foreign companies. It's nice that MG exists in some way, sure. I was critiquing this particular car. It probably will get a different name for the UKDM but it's a shame that the rear end spoils an otherwise attractive car.

No, I agree. On the whole British car companies were generally crap when owned by the British themselves and only the good (see: profitable) bits got swallowed up by foreign companies. It's nice that MG exists in some way, sure. I was critiquing this particular car. It probably will get a different name for the UKDM but it's a shame that the rear end spoils an otherwise attractive car.

For sure, Brits are generally bad at managing companies, but put a few of us in a shed and we can change the world. Funny how that works!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
It wouldn't surprise me if the British car industry makes a comeback with EVs (or other alternative fuel powered cars) in years to come, but with the state our country is in ATM I don't think that's going to happen unfortunately. For now we'll just stick to hammering together kit cars in sheds :D

I don’t know why people love to hate on SAIC MG so much.

Sure, they’re owned by the Chinese so it’s not a purely “British” brand anymore, but from what I recall they’re still designed by Brits in Longbridge and London, and pretty consistently get good reviews across their range.

I think their cars are quite the lookers too, in an automotive industry full of manufacturers trying to make everything look too futuristic for the sake of it, their cars feel like a breath of fresh air.

They might not be perfect (they do have issues with supplying parts promptly IIRC), but to say they’re crap cars all around is just being contrarian for the sake of it. Like how everyone looked down on Japanese manufacturers in the 70s, now look where they are!
I recently had an MG ZS with 7000km on it as a rental car for a week. To me, there were quite a few things I didn’t like about it.
  • Rattly, rough running engine. (I’ve driven semis and honestly thought it was a diesel)
  • Smooshy brakes (felt like they needed bleeding)
  • Lack of thoughtful design. (Why no rear interior light for getting kids out of child seats in the dark? Why no ring light so you can see where to put the key?)
  • Unresponsive infotainment screen
  • Low grade interior materials and average fit and finish
  • Much less cargo space than a regular sedan (this is common in the crossover class)
  • Excessive body roll at normal speeds
  • Complete lack of personality, character, creative features or flair.
  • Low power engine and unintelligent automatic gearbox. It literally has trouble getting out of it’s own way.

Now obviously, most of these gripes are due to the fact that the car is ridiculously cheap. They save a lot of pennies through the build to bring to market a crossover you can buy for $24k with a 7 year warranty.

If I was an Uber driver, a retiree, or a young person (with no kids), who is just wanting a brand new car, it is a very affordable option. It would be a perfectly fine way for that person to get around for as little investment as possible.

It just lacks flavour. Somewhere in the process of making the cheapest sandwich possible, they left out the filling. No meat, no cheese, no sauce, just two pieces of white bread placed together. It’s still a sandwich and will stop you being hungry, but there’s nothing there to make you really enjoy it, love it or want to have another one.

I think that’s why old MG owners don’t like them. Classic MGs are full of character, beautiful designs and exciting platforms that you really want to take for a drive. These new ones aren’t just less British, they are profoundly less interesting. There is nothing about an MG ZS that will get your moustache tweaking with excitement.

I recently had an MG ZS with 7000km on it as a rental car for a week. To me, there were quite a few things I didn’t like about it.
  • Rattly, rough running engine. (I’ve driven semis and honestly thought it was a diesel)
  • Smooshy brakes (felt like they needed bleeding)
  • Lack of thoughtful design. (Why no rear interior light for getting kids out of child seats in the dark? Why no ring light so you can see where to put the key?)
  • Unresponsive infotainment screen
  • Low grade interior materials and average fit and finish
  • Much less cargo space than a regular sedan (this is common in the crossover class)
  • Excessive body roll at normal speeds
  • Complete lack of personality, character, creative features or flair.
  • Low power engine and unintelligent automatic gearbox. It literally has trouble getting out of it’s own way.

Now obviously, most of these gripes are due to the fact that the car is ridiculously cheap. They save a lot of pennies through the build to bring to market a crossover you can buy for $24k with a 7 year warranty.

If I was an Uber driver, a retiree, or a young person (with no kids), who is just wanting a brand new car, it is a very affordable option. It would be a perfectly fine way for that person to get around for as little investment as possible.

It just lacks flavour. Somewhere in the process of making the cheapest sandwich possible, they left out the filling. No meat, no cheese, no sauce, just two pieces of white bread placed together. It’s still a sandwich and will stop you being hungry, but there’s nothing there to make you really enjoy it, love it or want to have another one.

I think that’s why old MG owners don’t like them. Classic MGs are full of character, beautiful designs and exciting platforms that you really want to take for a drive. These new ones aren’t just less British, they are profoundly less interesting. There is nothing about an MG ZS that will get your moustache tweaking with excitement.

That’s fair critique, I won’t disagree that the ZS is probably the weakest of their lineup.

Old MG owners do seem to like the MG3 and MG4 quite a lot though, those seemingly maintain the great handling older MGs were known for. In the MG3’s case, probably because the chassis was developed by ex-Longbridge engineers.

More real-world images of the Cyberster
I really like this! Are there any other EV roadsters like this that are coming soon? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Although it looks nice, I don't think it'll perform that well. It weighs almost double that of the Miata

This information says that the Cyberster has a front electric motor with a rated power of 101 horsepower (75 kilowatts) and 201 hp (150 kW) of peak output. At the back, the motor produces 215 hp (160 kW) normally and a maximum of 335 hp (250 kW). The vehicle's top speed is 124 miles per hour (200 kilometers per hour). There are no battery details.

In terms of physical dimensions, the Cyberster is 178.5 inches (4,535 millimeters) long, 75.31 inches (1,913 mm) wide, and 52.32 inches (1,329 mm) tall. The wheelbase is 105.9 inches (2,690 mm). This makes the MG a bit bigger than a 2023 Mazda MX-5 Miata that's 154.1 inches long, 68.3 inches wide, and 48.8 inches tall. Its wheelbase is 90.9 inches.

The Chinese document lists the Cyberster's curb weight as 4,376 pounds (1,985 kilograms). Meanwhile, a 2023 Miata is 2,341 pounds with a manual gearbox or 2,403 pounds with an automatic transmission.

Although it looks nice, I don't think it'll perform that well. It weighs almost double that of the Miata

Yeah this has basically killed the hype for me. the MG4 EV weighs about 300kg less, why is it that this needs much bigger AWD batteries? It's a roadster, not a supercar...

Last edited:
This information says that the Cyberster has a front electric motor with a rated power of 101 horsepower (75 kilowatts) and 201 hp (150 kW) of peak output. At the back, the motor produces 215 hp (160 kW) normally and a maximum of 335 hp (250 kW). The vehicle's top speed is 124 miles per hour (200 kilometers per hour). There are no battery details.

In terms of physical dimensions, the Cyberster is 178.5 inches (4,535 millimeters) long, 75.31 inches (1,913 mm) wide, and 52.32 inches (1,329 mm) tall. The wheelbase is 105.9 inches (2,690 mm). This makes the MG a bit bigger than a 2023 Mazda MX-5 Miata that's 154.1 inches long, 68.3 inches wide, and 48.8 inches tall. Its wheelbase is 90.9 inches.

The Chinese document lists the Cyberster's curb weight as 4,376 pounds (1,985 kilograms). Meanwhile, a 2023 Miata is 2,341 pounds with a manual gearbox or 2,403 pounds with an automatic transmission.

A bit bigger? It's two feet longer! It also weighs two tonnes, similar to a Veyron.

Yeah, that’s bonkers. I take it the car is just a rolling battery pack. Pretty unacceptable. They need to be calling Mazda and Suzuki to find out how to make cars lighter, in today’s world.

I just don't get why they decided to make it AWD, it makes zero sense and goes against MG's entire roadster philosophy. I still love some of their other cars, but this is very disappointing.

I just don't get why they decided to make it AWD, it makes zero sense and goes against MG's entire roadster philosophy. I still love some of their other cars, but this is very disappointing.
The wiki page for it points to there being two versions of it. The AWD, dual motor (536hp & 1,985kgs) and a single motor version (309hp & 1,850kgs) which i would hope means the single motor one is RWD. Rear drive sounds more sportscar like and more what you'd expect of an MG, but the 309hp @ 1,850kgs stats are very similar to my diesel X3 SUV. :lol:

The article quoted compares the Cyberster to an MX-5, but it's proportionally much closer to a Jaguar F-Type. The two versions of the MG also mimic, AWD aside, the power figures for the base and top spec F-Types. Differences being, and remember the F-Type is often criticized for being too heavy for a sportscar of its size, that the F-Type weighs between 1,597 & 1,665kgs and so the MG's that shadow it are in the region of 300kgs more than the already too heavy F-Type.

Back