MH370: Malaysian Airlines Flight to Beijing carrying 239 people is lost over sea.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,507 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
Please post all talk of MH17 in the appropriate thread. I'm moving everything to that thread. Meanwhile, this thread will stay open for any news related to MH370.

(Post-MH17 moderator edit)
-----

Really not sounding good. :(

https://m.facebook.com/my.malaysiaa...?cid=crisis_management_19726844&stream_ref=10

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...-people?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Last recorded location:
BiKosCdCMAACDsA.jpg:large

Couple unofficial reports are saying the plane went down in the sea, but obviously hoping this is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seeing reports of sightings of it going down, but certainly not sounding good, planes rarely vanish from every type of contact without bad reason :(

I just saw this on TV a few minutes ago. Really scary. I hope for the best.

Aren't there dozens of radar stations set up that could track where the plane is?

If it went down, it went down over the Gulf of Thailand at 2:30am local time. Chances are there was no-one around to see it go down.

That's what I was thinking, if someone saw it go down over sea then they would have heard it too, the mayday would have triggered a more localised search and more details would (presumably) therefore have been released. As it is this seems to be an all-ships general alert, although depending on the time of day/conditions you could steam straight through an small debris field and never know.

@CallmeDan there are indeed, and presumably they're all backing up the fact that it's not appearing. Civil aircraft of a certain type/size broadcast a unique signal along with data such as speed, heading, location and altitude. That's what the ham-nets pull together to make sites like FlightTracker work and what ATC use to verify positioning over long radar plots.

It didn't land anywhere so it's either been taken over and somehow isolated from contact (systems, altitude) without the pilot being able to issue a warning (there are a number of non-verbal alert methods), it has lost all communications and descended through weather conditions that are making it impossible to see on radar, or it has been lost.

EDIT: Sounds like it was due to exit Vietnamese airspace, at that point it would have contacted Beijing control, but didn't. A possibility that I missed is that it was lost but managed to successfully ditched. Apart from the notable case of the Hudson Airbus that's a trick that's rarely pulled off, and this is a nearly-full 777 :\

Last edited:
This from the airline, interesting that apparently there are reports that the plane may have landed at Nanming, but that's unverified.

EDIT: If the plane is at Nanming (I think it's unlikely, but I hope it has landed safely) then I think a hijack is more likely than a technical fault... but the plane has to have gone a long way into Chinese airspace unchallenged or below radar which you just don't do in a 777. Maybe the Chinese have more info than they're giving right now, but I don't think the plane will be there.

Ahmad Jauhari Yahya
Statement By Our Group CEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya on MH370 Incident at the Press Conference. Released at 11.00am/8 Mar 2014 MY Local Time

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are deeply saddened this morning with the news on MH370.

Malaysia Airlines confirms that flight MH370 had lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, today.

There has been speculation that the aircraft has landed at Nanming.

We are working to verify the authenticity of the report and others.

Flight MH370 was operated on a Boeing 777-200 aircraft.

It departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing.

The aircraft was scheduled to land at Beijing International Airport at 6.30am local Beijing time.

The flight was carrying a total number of 239 passengers and crew – comprising 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members.

The passengers were of 14 different nationalities - citizens from:-

15. China – 152 plus 1 infant
16. Malaysia - 38
17. Indonesia - 12
18. Australia - 7
19. France - 3
20. United States of America – 3 pax plus 1 infant
21. New Zealand - 2
22. Ukraine - 2
23. Canada - 2
24. Russia - 1
25. Italy - 1
26. Taiwan - 1
27. Netherlands - 1
28. Austria - 1

This flight was a code share with China Southern Airlines.

We are working with authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.

Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew.

The flight was piloted by Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, a Malaysian aged 53. He has a total flying hours of 18,365hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981.

First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

Our focus now is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members.

The airline will provide regular updates on the situation. The public may contact +603 7884 1234. For media queries, kindly contact +603 8777 5698/ +603 8787 1276.

Please also log on to http://bit.ly/1feKrJ0 for updates.

Next-of-kin may head to the Support Facility Building at KLIA’s South Support Zone. For directions, call 03 8787 1269.

Last edited:
And from what I've read, it wasn't no Sully Sullenberger (that's completely spelled incorrectly but you know who..) landing as seas were a tad rough at 2:30 am..

Yup, big jet, heavy on fuel/passengers/cargo, open sea.

The Hudson landing was an incredible feat of pilot skill but I'm sure he'd say himself that it could have been very different with a bigger plane, at night out on open water.

Yup, big jet, heavy on fuel/passengers/cargo, open sea.

The Hudson landing was an incredible feat of pilot skill but I'm sure he'd say himself that it could have been very different with a bigger plane, at night out on open water.
I believe there was an instance where a 772 ran out of fuel or had issues with the engines that caused the fly-by-wire systems to malfunction with the engines and shut them down. They glided for either 2 or eight hours, and holds the longest glide record by empty weight...?

But I think that was 2007 so 7 years ago..

I believe there was an instance where a 772 ran out of fuel or had issues with the engines that caused the fly-by-wire systems to malfunction with the engines and shut them down. They glided for either 2 or eight hours, and holds the longest glide record by empty weight...?

But I think that was 2007 so 7 years ago..

This one? Transat 236, I can't even begin to imagine the tension on that deck.

Local news says they found the planes signal which would be the blackbox transponder signal.

No.... I dunno... Will look when I have time. 12:43 am here.

Local news says they found the planes signal which would be the blackbox transponder signal.
An exact signal of what? Their squawk code, telecommunications,....?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, but he didn't like that one... Transat 236 made it to ground with no engines so for me they trump a long aerial glide. Ish. :D

Flying over 100km and landing with no fuel and losing no lives=total badass pilots.

BAF9 flew threw an ash cloud, stalled the engines and they got 3 restarted when they left the ash cloud.
Good work, but seems less in the grand scheme of awesomeness

So any news before you guys started talking about the gliding world record?

Did you see any or have any to contribute? If we had then it would have been here.

EDIT: Those waiting at Beijing for the flight to arrive have now been taken to a private part of of the airport. That's a predictable development of course.

While writing that; Vietnamese military tracked plane into sea

They say that military radar tracked its descent into the sea :(

EDIT: " VN Express, Vietnam's largest news site, reports that Vietnam Emergency Rescue Center just announced it has found signal of the missing plane at 9.50am 120 miles South West of Ca Mau cape, the Southern-most point of Vietnam."

Last edited:
The Malaysians are denying that any wreckage has been found. It seems that they are still trying to figure out where the plane might have been when it disappeared. What makes this case so bizarre is that the plane has simply vanished. The airspace where air traffic control lost contact is watched by a dozen different civilian and military stations, because it's the place where different airspaces overlap - but none of them had any contact with the plane. The pilot has close to 20,000 hours' experience, but never got the chance to send out so much as a mayday.

People are saying the Chinese are testing new weapons :rolleyes:
Still hoping for the best...but I find it hard to believe a plane can land at an airstrip without being detected or heard from after 5 hours.

People are saying the Chinese are testing new weapons
People are idiots.

What possible reason would the Chinese have for testing weapons at 30,000 feet in an area of somebody else's airspace that is a commercial flightpath?

This is just Sinophobia taken to an extreme, and if you are dumb enough to believe it, then you deserve everything you get.

People are idiots.

What possible reason would the Chinese have for testing weapons at 30,000 feet in an area of somebody else's airspace that is a commercial flightpath?

This is just Sinophobia taken to an extreme, and if you are dumb enough to believe it, then you deserve everything you get.
There is no reason, nor did I say I believe it.
Did you see the rolly eyes or did you exclude them out of the quote to make me look stupid?

BAF9 flew threw an ash cloud, stalled the engines and they got 3 restarted when they left the ash cloud.
Good work, but seems less in the grand scheme of awesomeness

No way. The pilot of Speedbird 9 got on the speaker to the passengers;

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

And he landed that SOB.

As per this incident, as PM has pointed out, it is very bizarre that nobody had any contact with the plane if it was in an area with heavy ATC presence. Lost in the shuffle, perhaps?

Last edited:
Back