Microsoft Doesn't See Sony's PS5 as Competition for the Xbox

I’ve always preferred the PlayStation network and PlayStation UI, but do love the Forza franchise.
Haven’t owned a console in quite some time but if console was the only option it would be Sony for me.
I don’t like this cloud based gaming, specifically the lag issues I was reading about a few months back.

Forza and Halo finally making the jump to PC has done well to keep my X1 packed away in the garage for 3 years now. If Scarlett doesn't have backwards compatibility for older xboxes, something the PC can't do and the X1 and 360 doesn't do well, Scarlett doesn't have competition because it doesn't have a market.

Forza and Halo finally making the jump to PC has done well to keep my X1 packed away in the garage for 3 years now. If Scarlett doesn't have backwards compatibility for older xboxes, something the PC can't do and the X1 and 360 doesn't do well, Scarlett doesn't have competition because it doesn't have a market.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if X-Box backwards compatibility makes its way to PC with the launch of Scarlett. I get the sense that MS is heading toward a scenario where they don't want you to think about what device you're playing X-Box games on - PC, X-Box X, phones, etc... They just want you paying them a subscription fee every month to play them.

Funny to read, 'course Sony isn't a rival to Xbox, Playstation at least has what it needs to be on their own and you still can play Playstation games on Sony phone, even all ever possible with Playstation Now.
People still buy Sony phones nowadays?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if X-Box backwards compatibility makes its way to PC with the launch of Scarlett. I get the sense that MS is heading toward a scenario where they don't want you to think about what device you're playing X-Box games on - PC, X-Box X, phones, etc... They just want you paying them a subscription fee every month to play them.
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are pretty demanding on PC hardware. I think that's an end goal if they pivot to putting Xbox services on other platforms, but getting cloud gaming on its stumbling feet is still probably easier than rewriting old Xbox games to work on new PC hardware.

It's definitely the standard in the near future yes (streaming games), but for this next generation, it doesn't look like there is enough infrastructure, enough "pipes" to handle so much data without lag or overall experience issues for an entire customer base.

So yes, there still won't be much competition...

Last edited:
Maybe in some light that Sony's PlayStation 5 could be delayed if the coronavirus lasts too long.
Also suggested that Xbox will too. Unless Xbox (Like what has been seen) has a prototype already out while we don't know exactly what the PS5 will look like other than the Dev kits.

Think the only real competitor is coronavirus so production can begin or continue.

Funny to read, 'course Sony isn't a rival to Xbox, Playstation at least has what it needs to be on their own and you still can play Playstation games on Sony phone, even all ever possible with Playstation Now. And Xbox, Stadia, what ever, going to stream games to every house, games? What games?

I think what he's trying to say is that they no longer want the Xbox to be seen as just a games console and more of a games service which can be used across multiple devices. In other words they don't want people to compare PS5 and Xbox Series X console sales figures and use them as a indication of success or failure because people are maybe using Xbox cloud gaming service on their PC or whatever other devices are compatible. But yeah realistically cutting through the mumbo jumbo they just don't want a sales number comparison every month with Sony showing they're X amount of hardware sales behind like what happened this generation before MS decided they weren't releasing figures anymore.

Seriously thinking of switching to xbox. My favourite racing sim, gran turismo, has been going downhill since gt5 and there aren't any other exclusives Sony has that interests me. Plus in xbox I can play all the old xbox games I never tried before and buy all my favourites from the xbox one days with its backwards compatibility.

Why Sony doesnt release an emulator on the ps4 is beyond me.

Funny how Microsoft reveal literally everything about their Xbox months before launch, then are complaining why everybody wants to know, while demimishing their hype train in the process.

While Sony are strictly keeping everything until launch.

So Microsoft have some sort of inferiority complex against something they know very little about?
picard_facepalm.jpg

Honestly the past year or so really has shown-up Microsoft for their douchey business model and typical marketing attemps, I feel like I'm watching Day-Time-TV salesmen...

Meanwhile Sony are just keeping busy on their project without bragging their asses in half and spilling the beans too early...

Isn’t PlayStation now a cloud based streaming service?
Yes... and they use Microsoft Azure for that now...

Remember the context of the interview. On the one hand we have old people well known in their politics (Nintendo / Sony) and on the other side new ones with big ambitions and colossal means (Amazon / Google).

Look at them arrogantly, focusing just on traditional competitors, that's precisely what you shouldn't do. Remember the story. If Sega and Nintendo had taken Sony seriously from the start, the market would not look like it does today.

Intelligence is therefore to prevent new ones (Amazon / Google) from establishing themselves on the market on a long-term basis to continue being only between old acquaintances (Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft).

People still buy Sony phones nowadays?
(Very off topic this though) No, still have my Xperia Z5 Compact with broken back glass :(, no new Sony phone before they bring back the Compact versions again after the Xperia XZ2 Compact is discontinued, so my next phone will most likely be iPhone 7 because of the small size and since. :)

Last edited:
Massive *facepalm* at the people who are mistaking this article for something else. Seriously, they're only reading the title but NOT the whole article, thus all 'jumping MS's throat' posts you see spawning in.

Microsoft aren't saying Sony isn't a competitor in Gaming anymore, but more so a competitor to Amazon and Google in Cloud Gaming, hence the mention of xCloud. Hell, Sony even partnered with Microsoft for that reason anyways.

All the reactions here are so misguided it's hilarious, literally. Lmao! Nice one GTPLANET! :lol:👍

*Resumes to eating popcorn*

If anything, this thread has weeded out those who only read the title of an article before commenting! :sly:

Based on Phil's vision for the Xbox platform, what he is saying is not wrong. Whether the market will shift to cloud gaming in the way the big three (Microsoft, Google and Amazon) are hoping is a different story. Based on what we have seen so far, Stadia has jumped the gun a little too early. Out of the three, I would say Microsoft is in the best position because if cloud gaming doesn't work out, they have a reputable console platform they can continue developing - The only downside it that it is very unlikely it will be a leader in the market for at least another generation.

Xbox saying that Playstation's traditional games console will be obsolete is like when Elon Musk of Tesla said that all non-driverless cars will be worthless in the future...

The fact that Microsoft/Xbox consider Google Stadia their rival is hilarious, they just sunk so low...

They market for an all-platform gaming future yet you still have to buy a Box (literally) for it...

And you can only buy games from their own online store (which must be pretty pricy!) And I'm sure you cant sell any games you dont want anymore.

Playstation are keeping their games comsole as a games console, the traditional way.
They're not trying to turn it into the next Swiss-Army-Knife.

It seens like Microsoft are in a middle-ground between Soby's traditional console commitments, and Nintendo's products which are built entirely round a new unirthodox function (Wii, Switch, you get the point) and Microsoft are right in between these two, seemingly confused about their oen identity or direction.

Simple thing is, if people wanna play games, they buy a games console (or stick with their PC)

I personally dont see how a video game streaming service will be sustainable for the future, as entire gane's existance depends on their servers, I dont yhink you will be able to do a "classic game review" of yhe Stadia or Xbox's thing when they're old lol.

(Very off topic this though) No, still have my Xperia Z5 Compact with broken back glass :(, no new Sony phone before they bring back the Compact versions again after the Xperia XZ2 Compact is discontinued, so my next phone will most likely be iPhone 7 because of the small size and since. :)
Typing on an xz1. Sony had waterproofing before people knew it could be done.

Had a Sony vaio pro 13 laptop. - had ssd before people knew what they were.

Also have some LDAC headphones.
To go with my phone. Sure people will get that... In a few years.... Haha.

Admittedly, been also using their phones but since they got careless about them, I have switched to other brands ever since. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to their consoles.

And you can only buy games from their own online store (which must be pretty pricy!) And I'm sure you cant sell any games you dont want anymore.

Got proof for literally any of this? Because I can look at my Xbox Store on my Xbox One and see that new games are selling for typical prices CAD, which is 79.99 for base games. That isn't going to change for the forseeable future.

You do realize that physical copies exist too, right, and those can be sold?

So many people read only the title and start launching into hysterics. Considering the forum that we are on, by this point I am not surprised.

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to their consoles.
No need to worry, Playstation sells much, much, much more units than Xperia Compact did, I think or else Sony would not stop making compact phones, Xperia 5 is a bit smaller that Xperia 1 and 10, but still to big/long for my liking.

But (God forbid) if the streaming of games takes off, who knows what will happend to gaming consoles, I really hope streaming and consoles will be able to coexist. :nervous:

Last edited:
Back