Microsoft Doesn't See Sony's PS5 as Competition for the Xbox

Such a disingenuous point:

DC was a failure. It took a year to sell 2 million units. It being on PS+ is the only reason it has a lot of users.
Plus subscribers had to buy the season pass to get the full game.

Variation doesn't mean there is clear variables at play that can be identified and then placed in bounds. Key factors are size of dev team, number of years in dev, marketing budget (AAA,AA, Indie).

https://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649
https://kotaku.com/why-video-games-cost-so-much-to-make-1818508211
The discrepancy is huge in the links you posted. You just need to look at three blockbuster games.

Gears - 10 million
The Witcher - 20 million
GT5 - 60 million

The gap between Gears and GT is laughable big and therefore judging games based on copies sold is pointless. You need an ballpark of the budget, but we have huge variety from 0,2m to 200m in this link alone.

If you assume an budget of 60m for an title that only cost 30m to make, your conclusion without knowing the budget will be wrong. An game with half the budget needs to sell significantly less.

Obviously the three factors you mentioned can help, but even then you don't know how much the publisher spend on marketing.

Last edited:
The discrepancy is huge in the links you posted. You just need to look at three blockbuster games.

Gears - 10 million
The Witcher - 20 million
GT5 - 60 million

Oh and what was there dev time and dev numbers?
From wiki, Gears had 20-30 devs working at a time.
Witcher was in dev for 3 years with 100 devs.
GT5 was in dev for 5+ years with 100+ devs.

You need an ballpark of the budget, but we have huge variety from 0,2m to 200m in this link alone.

You're reading it entirely wrong. Sort it into groups by dev size and dev time and console era and its clear.

Obviously the three factors you mentioned can help,

So use them.

As much as I like watching people make fools of themselves, this has gone too far in the opposite direction. This isn't a thread about sales figures, or how many developers any given studio employ. I don't care. No one cares. That isn't the point or subject matter of the thread.

Get it back on topic please. At least the Microsoft vs Sony conversation was mildly en-route.

As much as I like watching people make fools of themselves, this has gone too far in the opposite direction. This isn't a thread about sales figures, or how many developers any given studio employ. I don't care. No one cares. That isn't the point or subject matter of the thread.

Get it back on topic please. At least the Microsoft vs Sony conversation was mildly en-route.

Can I speak to you in PM's?

Last 3 pages of this thread talking about the sales of either consoles and their games. It's just ridiculous.

Back