Microsoft's Next Xbox is Actually Just Called 'Xbox', Apparently

Microsoft screwed up the naming with the the 360. There's no going back from that.

Happy to see them keep doubling down on confusion.

I really couldn't care less about the name. They could literally call it Xbox XXX. I'm just waiting for the games, which are more important.

YBox?
Simple. ;)

Of coarse after the following ZBox they'd have to start over with the ABox, which isn't so catchy.

MXH
Happy to see them keep doubling down on confusion.

The only people getting confused are either deliberately thick headed or don’t know anything about gaming. There’s help for the latter, the former is just stuck buying a 20 year old console/games I guess.

I'm still waiting for the SeXbox to come out.

According to google such a thing exists (or did). It contains “toys” as one would expect. :ill:

"Hey what console have you got?"
"Xbox."
"Which one?"
"Xbox."
"No sorry, I mean which version of the Xbox."
"Xbox."
"Okay, be like that."

Joking aside, I'm sure it will be a great console. Microsoft now just have to get their hands on some top quality IP.

Tip: Since Microsoft won't really bother with identifiable names, it's better for us to identify each console by its model number instead (if it has one).

Example being Nissan Skyline. The vehicles across generations are all officially called the same: "Nissan Skyline". So most car enthusiasts would just called each vehicle R32, R33, R34, etc.

They had to think of unique names because they probably don't like to sound similar or traditional like how Sony simply names their PlayStation consoles.

I think it’s a combination of trying to be cool and the fact that Xbox is a generation younger than the PlayStation, so with a digit system it would always be one less than PlayStation’s.

I think it’s a combination of trying to be cool and the fact that Xbox is a generation younger than the PlayStation, so with a digit system it would always be one less than PlayStation’s.

This is the correct answer, that's why the 360 wasn't called Xbox 2.

Thing is they could have easily gotten out of this cycle by passing off the One X as number 4 and just called this Xbox 5.

They did it with Windows, claiming 8.1 was in a way 9.

Thing is they could have easily gotten out of this cycle by passing off the One X as number 4 and just called this Xbox 5.

They did it with Windows, claiming 8.1 was in a way 9.
Why would the One X be number 4 when it was the same generation as number 3? Talk about confusing.

I think throwing in a 5 might cause even more issues with what you brought up with everyone thinking it's a Playstation anyways. Lil ol Grandma will end up getting the Playstation 5 in that instance :lol:

Except, when spoken aloud, calling it PS1 is incorrect, unless you're specifically referring to the slim model. PSX is also incorrect, despite it being its original codename as that now refers to the failed DVR from 2003 (?). If we're going to split hairs, then let's split all of the hairs. :lol:

Understand, I'm not being combative for the laughs. I'm trying to understand how Xbox nomenclature riles so many feathers, yet the PlayStation is always used as the de facto standard when it can be (and has been) just as confusing in every one of these examples that tend to come to light.
Because people would have called it the PS1 regardless of what the slim was called and it's that way for any game series. When referring to the first GT people say Gran Turismo 1.

Before the Xbone was announced people also called the original the Xbox 1.

I think so.

Xbox doesn't look like a box.
It's either Tallbox, or widebox.
or Tube.
But tube isn't the best naming either.

I think Xbox needs to stop trying to be fancy with names and just say this is Xbox 7
It worked good for iPhone, Galaxy, PlayStation.

Just Call it Xbox 4 and never think about making stupid names again for the future ones.

No one cares what some delusional Marketing department thinks makes a Console sell, all it does it make it confusing as a name.

Xbox one is already stupid because now you have to call the first generation Console the Original Xbox to not confuse people when talking about it.
Funnily enough, confusion is a pretty standard sales technique. Buyers will (with the aid of the sales staff) often err towards the more expensive in some cases, because they have no idea if they really need it and they're afraid of being left with something that is, in some way, "inadequate". Or perhaps they'll panic and buy the cheaper one, be disappointed, sell it and buy a more expensive one.

You can guarantee that the proliferation of models (as "tiers") is designed to extract more money from those who can afford it, and make others stretch up a notch even if they can't, strictly, afford it. It should also comfortably increase sales volume, if they price / spec the "base" model (and attached features / services) intelligently. Sony previously tried to offer a strong basic package at a slight premium, but I think now that the industry is geared up for tiered performance in the consoles, they will probably feel like they need to do exactly the same.

And it's for this reason that even the most ignorant of potential customers will almost never leave a shop with the original XBox instead of the latest, greatest and most expensive one available. Just think about how that conversation would play out with the sales staff. Likewise, on the internet, Microsoft and retailers alike will pay significant sums of money to make sure anything related to XBox will point to the latest and most likely greatest console.

It is pretty stupid naming, all the same. But then what else should we expect from an industry that likes to take a revisionist approach to the naming of game sequels?

One thing I'm personally banking on (what with the expansion of "tiers" of console performance within a "generation") is the continued blurring of lines between the consoles and PCs in general, as I'm well past due a PC upgrade.

According to rumors there will be another console by them which will be a lot cheaper. I think 300$, digital only console with a weaker gpu. So they cannot call both the console as just xbox. This should have been X2 and the other one should be S2.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will get confused by the name, I'll just treat it like a car and refer to it by the generation or something. With that said, I don't like that it's just being called "xbox".

Back