Microsoft's Next Xbox is Actually Just Called 'Xbox', Apparently

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Dec 19, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. mustafur

mustafur

Just Call it Xbox 4 and never think about making stupid names again for the future ones.

No one cares what some delusional Marketing department thinks makes a Console sell, all it does it make it confusing as a name.

Xbox one is already stupid because now you have to call the first generation Console the Original Xbox to not confuse people when talking about it.

LeGeNd-1, Nexus, XRaider and 15 others like this.
  3. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

Or call it The Box :)

ThePotatoKing and Coquico like this.
  4. Famine

Famine Administrator

Scene: 75 years in the future, Commander Scott is at the holodeck doors.

"The android at the bar said you could show me my old console. Lemme see it."
    Insufficient data. Please specify parameters.
    "The Xbox! Show me the Xbox, yer chatterin' piece of…"
    There have been six consoles with that name. Please specify by model number.
    "X-B-O-X, no bloody 360, One, S, X, or Series X."
    Program complete. Enter when ready.

GregOr1971, KepleroGT, DK and 6 others like this.
  5. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

This criticism never made any sense to me. No one ever called the OG Xbox anything other than "Xbox", so I fail to see how Xbox One confuses one for the other.

I think that criticism is better levied at the original PlayStation which legitimately features the same original console, albeit smaller named PlayStation One.

VXR likes this.
  6. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom

They should have called it the Xbox One 2.

Nexus, XRaider, Revoy and 6 others like this.
  7. vrossi

vrossi

Manufacturers scrambling to accommodate?
    [​IMG]

GregOr1971 and Coquico like this.
  8. mustafur

mustafur

Playstations is as simple as possible and even though it's a different design the Playstation One is the same console just slim.

9. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

Which is exactly my point. It's the same model, albeit smaller, but with a different model SKU. Yet, somehow the Xbox and the Xbox One, that released two whole generations after the fact — 12 years later — confuses people?

VXR likes this.
  10. TheCrazySwede

TheCrazySwede

The console's third revision would be called the Xbox One 2 (3)

11. mustafur

mustafur

Yes.

I don't know how it is for you, but it's Australian Nature to shorten everything, the amount of times someone has called an Xbox one just Xbox for me and then I clarified they meant Xbox one, only for me to say the latest one because it just makes me think of the Original is confusing.

Playstation solves that just by calling it PS1.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    davidt33 likes this.
  12. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

I've noticed this as well. We say PS 1, PS 2 and so on but every different model XBox is simply called XBox. We're a strange lot down here. :lol:

13. SleezyBigSlim

SleezyBigSlim

I had the original Xbox back in the day and the first Fortza game. Game sucked, I went back to GT4, sold my Xbox and never looked back.

Aphelion, Doomotron and Coquico like this.
  14. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

My girlfriend works at a used game store, customers phone in saying they have an “Xbox 1” to sell, then bring in an original Xbox. It’s because it’s the first one, it’s #1. The same people call 360 just Xbox and the whole thing just collapses from there.

The multitude of DS and 3DS variations cause almost as much confusion.

Never overestimate the intelligence of the public.

raven214 and EDK like this.
  15. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

They had to think of unique names because they probably don't like to sound similar or traditional like how Sony simply names their PlayStation consoles.

16. urmie

urmie

The fake shopping scenarios around this are hilarious. What "grandma" is spending $500 for "lil Timmy" on a game console? LOL
    The design should speak for itself, if that brick is not on the console box, grandma, ya got the wrong one.

XRaider likes this.
  17. mustafur

mustafur

Could of just done what Samsung did to Apple, and just add an S, but it's not like Sony invented Numbering.

18. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

I concur. Though Nintendo seems more unique and awesome when it comes to naming their consoles compared to Xbox and PS.

19. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

Something which has already been happening for some time, really. I don't think it's been any different ever since they decided to make a second console. You'd still have people saying Oh I have an Xbox(or even Playstation) disregarding any exact title the console has. This just sounds a bit blown out of proportion.

20. George Jakob

George Jakob

Thats :censored: XBOX is gonna end up as the Porsche 911 of consoles..

ThePotatoKing likes this.
  21. RolexGTP

RolexGTP

What a confusing series of names ever since the 360. Just be original Microsoft...

22. mustafur

mustafur

Well yes, and same with Sega when they made consoles, but Microsoft is terrible with names on the Console and should be revoked from naming privileges.

raven214 and George Jakob like this.
  23. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

Except, when spoken aloud, calling it PS1 is incorrect, unless you're specifically referring to the slim model. PSX is also incorrect, despite it being its original codename as that now refers to the failed DVR from 2003 (?). If we're going to split hairs, then let's split all of the hairs. :lol:

Understand, I'm not being combative for the laughs. I'm trying to understand how Xbox nomenclature riles so many feathers, yet the PlayStation is always used as the de facto standard when it can be (and has been) just as confusing in every one of these examples that tend to come to light.

24. ZedNinetySix

ZedNinetySix

They got the box part right...

25. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

Well, the Xbox 360 sounded good when it came out, at least. :lol:

26. mustafur

mustafur

It might not be technically correct but for everyone it's simple because the Playstation one is still the same Console and the PSX is soo rare most people dont know it even exists.

The Xbox is clearly more confusing especially when it comes to people not familiar with gaming, explaining it to non gaming people is not as easy as you make it sound.

George Jakob likes this.
  27. Kuraudo

Kuraudo

Xbox 42
    Your welcome Microsoft...

Cytoria likes this.
  28. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

Explaining to a non gaming person would not be any more difficult no matter what brand you're talking about. You'd tell them one is called the Xbox One, and one is called the Playstation 4.

29. Cytoria

Cytoria Premium

With this design, I strongly suggest :
    Xbox 2001.
    84886D87-C432-4AD1-B677-684578359E6F.jpeg

Kuraudo likes this.
  30. Corsa

Corsa Premium

Place the word Super in front of it, job done.
    Worked for Nintendo, for those of you old enough to remember the excitement of the early 90s...You have a Super Nintendo!?!

Super Xbox.

MrCrynox likes this.
  31. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

I will just call it "New Xbox" or "New Xbox Series" when talking to someone about it. There, how hard was that?