Minolta 88C and Suzuka Circuit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biggs
  • 31 comments
  • 3,903 views
Messages
73
Im currently trying to win the Gran Turismo Championship at the end of the professional hall, but im having big troubles with the Minolta Toyota Race Car and some of the circuits. Round Suzuka, I find myself having to break to ridicously low speeds to just get round corners, and if I try to take them any faster I end up in the sand, and lose almost 10 seconds on the C9 that always whips my ass. It was the same on Hong Kong track too, but I just skipped the race. Even my B-Spec Driver is horrible round the course, I was wondering whether anyone else is having the same problem?
 
I had that too with that car. And with the other Group C cars. What I did was change the ASM settings. Put the ASM Oversteer to 2, while I left the ASM Understeer at 10. After that, I could easily turn in with these cars.:)
 
Biggs
Im currently trying to win the Gran Turismo Championship at the end of the professional hall, but im having big troubles with the Minolta Toyota Race Car and some of the circuits. Round Suzuka, I find myself having to break to ridicously low speeds to just get round corners, and if I try to take them any faster I end up in the sand, and lose almost 10 seconds on the C9 that always whips my ass. It was the same on Hong Kong track too, but I just skipped the race. Even my B-Spec Driver is horrible round the course, I was wondering whether anyone else is having the same problem?


just try to pick up a few points , as long as you win the majority of the races you should be o.k....
 
if you want to keep the minolta tray to change the settings or buy a pescarolo peugeot race car (sp)
 
sonnyboy
just try to pick up a few points , as long as you win the majority of the races you should be o.k....
but you need gold in every race to get 100%
 
hitman146
but you need gold in every race to get 100%

Indeed, but he can come later with the F1 a beat them easyly, there is no need to finish all the races in a championship at the firs attempt. Normaly what I do is, winning 8 of 10 races or 4 of 5 races, not race the last ones and then race them with a different car so I can test how other car work in competition.
 
I did Suzuka and a couple others in that series that I lost the first time with the XJR9, with some good racing...
 
Biggs
Im currently trying to win the Gran Turismo Championship at the end of the professional hall, but im having big troubles with the Minolta Toyota Race Car and some of the circuits. Round Suzuka, I find myself having to break to ridicously low speeds to just get round corners, and if I try to take them any faster I end up in the sand, and lose almost 10 seconds on the C9 that always whips my ass. It was the same on Hong Kong track too, but I just skipped the race. Even my B-Spec Driver is horrible round the course, I was wondering whether anyone else is having the same problem?
Turn off all the driving "aids"
 
To me, Suzuka, Hong Kong, and Opera are the three races that make the GT World Championship so tough. I can win the other seven (with an '03 Pescarolo), but it is going to take a lot of practice and some very special car tuning for me to win those races in A-Spec, at least when the Sauber C-9 is in the field.

My B-Spec driver has no problem with them at all, so I know its just me, not the Pesky.

Meanwhile, try the setup posted by "aarque" in the settings forum for your 88C-V:

brakes 10/11
springs 15.7/15.7
height 70/77
bound 7/6
rebound 9/8
camber 2.2/1.4
stabilizer 2/3
asm/o 0
asm/u 0
tcs 7
downforce 63/88
lsd 10/40/20

(He had the TCS at three, but to conserve rear tires, go higher.)
 
Limp TCS and ASM simply shouldnt be available on a car like that, half of the skill, if not more, is in modulating the throttle correctly to manage the power available, whats next? Adaptive steering to keep you pointing in the right direction?

TCS and ASM should in my opinion only be available on the cars that have them in real life, ie, modern road cars...

Turn the "aids" off and learn to drive the cars as the makers intended, it comes as no surprise that driving a Group C car isnt something you can do straight away...
 
You will need to turn off ASM and leave TC to at most level 3. The Toyota Minolta tends to understeer at the limit(still a phenomenal handler), but it makes up for it with it's wicked acceleration. Anyhow, good luck and remember to use very short gearing for Hong Kong and other tight circuits.
 
dan0h
Limp TCS and ASM simply shouldnt be available on a car like that, half of the skill, if not more, is in modulating the throttle correctly to manage the power available, whats next? Adaptive steering to keep you pointing in the right direction?

TCS and ASM should in my opinion only be available on the cars that have them in real life, ie, modern road cars...

Turn the "aids" off and learn to drive the cars as the makers intended, it comes as no surprise that driving a Group C car isnt something you can do straight away...

I liked the GT2 system best. No driving aids when you buy/win the car and if you want it, just buy it.
 
i won suzuka no problem, i came last at Hong Kong and 4th on Opera Paris but i will jsut adjust the gears and downforce.
 
I'm using the Minolta at this champ to at this moment and I've won every race until now with using the setup posted before. I even win some races at b-spec.
Only my rear tires wont last really long, and I', driving not at the worst point of my throttle..
 
Yeah a real group C car sure wouldn't have had traction control. Remember it was Williams and particularly McLaren in Formula One who pioneered those systems in 1992/1993? Almost all the group C cars were made before then. None of the group C cars would have had traction control or ASM. They were intended to be driven without driver aids.

However today, I bet with a little modification you could pretty easily manipulate the systems of those cars to have TC and ASM. So it wouldn't be totally unrealistic in modern driving terms.
 
I had some trouble with my Minolta Toyota at Suzuka too. I found that it helped to lower the ride height a lot. You can get away with this because the track is smooth enough that you won't bottom-out alot. Stiffening up the suspension is also important. It took some trial and error to get the balance right though. I had a lot of trouble with the rear being too soft. Under braking, the weight would shift forward, then spring back when I let off the brakes. Consequently, the tail would rotate I would argue with the scenery. The only thing I could do was keep increasing the rear spring rate until that stopped happening.
 
I used a DS2. I drove the Minolta, against another Minolta, the two Nissans, CLK, and the Vedigo (sp?). I had the same problems on Hong Kong (5th), Suzuka(4th), and Paris (4th). I was in the middle of the championship, so I didn't want to leave to change something and have to go back. I just finished last night so I don't know what it would be like with other settings like hard tires in the back.

A word of caution for the last two races (I think it's the last two). If you're going up against either of the Nissans, they don't pit on those races. Maybe it's Suzuka and the other is Le Sarthe (sp, again?). What I found was I had to pit (as did the other Minolta) around 3 - 4 laps before the end of the first and before the final lap of Le Sarthe, but the Nissans didn't. Bang, 25 ish seconds right there hurt my times. I finished 3rd at Le Sarthe.

So is the Minolta the hardest car to face in the Championship?
 
I tried it with the Toyota 88C-V, I maxed out all the points. So that means a total of 100 points. I can't understand why you guys have so much trouble with it, and I'm not the best racer you can find either.
 
Crayola
Turn off all the driving "aids"
YES! The ASM controls murder the handling of any car. They will do all manner of ridiculous things if they kick in. If you're having trouble controlling the throttle, then leave some TCS in (2 or so) but always, for every car, turn OFF the ASMs.
 
Pink_the_Floyd
I tried it with the Toyota 88C-V, I maxed out all the points. So that means a total of 100 points. I can't understand why you guys have so much trouble with it, and I'm not the best racer you can find either.


What cars were you competing against?
 
Duke
YES! The ASM controls murder the handling of any car. They will do all manner of ridiculous things if they kick in. If you're having trouble controlling the throttle, then leave some TCS in (2 or so) but always, for every car, turn OFF the ASMs.


Well, there are 720 cars in GT4, and its starting to look to me like there are a very few that are such ill-handling slugs that you may have to apply some ASM if you want to use them at all.

Case in point: The Peugeot 905 Le Mans car. I've been discussing this thing with NTSC users and PAL users on various forums for about four months, and I've come to the conclusion that we NTSC users get a very different version of the car than PAL peeps do. The PAL version is stable and solid. The NTSC version wanders all over the road, swaps ends on braking in the blink of an eye, and dances right off the road on bumpy tracks. Get so much as a hair off the pavement on Sarthe and you're instantly up against the wall, backwards.

In an act of utter desperation, inspired by the comment of a poster on another forum, I re-set Oversteer ASM to 10, and tried it on Sarthe. All problems instantly vanished. I could now use the 905's tremendous braking capability, could ride out the bumpy sections after Mulsanne corner, and could re-gain control after slight off-pavement excursions, as I can with any typical Le Mans car. ASM made the 905 usable, and I've been having a lot of fun with it lately.

Yes, I agree that probably 99% of the cars in GT4 should be run without ASM, but there may be a few special cases where you either use it, or you use another car.
 
im not sure if asm actually effects in bspec mode. i think someone did some testing and it didnt effect the outcome in time, so mabe it has a differnt effect?

i do belive that dissableing the asm might make the car faster tho, i guess it depends on the car tho, because in bspec you can go faster as long as the car drives stable. if not stable then you cant increase speed. also the higher the points the faster you will go, so raising the skills helps alot, and asm might still not have any effect in bspec.

regardless for bspec i dissable the asm, if its a touchy car then maybe i will enable some of it depending on if it normaly does over stear or understear.
 
chevguy
What cars were you competing against?

-Nissan R92CP
-Peugeot 905
-Sauber-Mercedes C9
-Pescarolo-Judd C60
-Audi R8


I picked the most difficult field possible for this challenge


@Duke: About ASM, your not completely correct. It's maybe correct for the most of the drivers but I always turn on ASM, if I turn it off, oversteer and understeer is killing me.
 
I completed the championship with 100pts with a Mazda 787B tuned to the hilt. The Opera track was the hardest race, but because the ol' Maz' has such great tyre conservation, I didn't need to pit, so it was easy.

The Mazda is the best car available for speed and tyre conservation balance, try it.
 
the B spec driver isnt good enough.
I Won every race easilyin S -Spec except hong kong with my Minolta. hong kong is just horrible.
 
I'd recommend whacking a set of Medium tyres on the car and keeping the car in "stock" (ie NO Stage 4 turbo) if you're not keen on taking off driving aids because I've had similar problems (though I was using the BMW LMR) - some cars can simply be too powerful to race successfully.
 
Pink_the_Floyd
-Nissan R92CP
-Peugeot 905
-Sauber-Mercedes C9
-Pescarolo-Judd C60
-Audi R8


I picked the most difficult field possible for this challenge


@Duke: About ASM, your not completely correct. It's maybe correct for the most of the drivers but I always turn on ASM, if I turn it off, oversteer and understeer is killing me.


You need to adjust your settings
ASM should always be turned off if you want to go the fastest

Oversteering problem:
Increase LSD settings
Set rear brake balance controller to 1
Decrease front spring rate
Increase rear spring rate
Decrease front stabiliser
Increase rear stabiliser
Decrease front downforce
Use softer rear tires

Understeering problem:
Decrease LSD settings
4WD set VCD controller to 10
Increase front spring rate
Decrease rear spring rate
Increase front stabiliser
Decrease rear stabiliser
Decrease rear downforce
Use softer front tires

Bumpy tracks:

Decrease spring rate
Increase ride height
Decrease damper
 
Back