Mirror Mode: Test Drive Unlimited

One thing I liked about TDU was the delivery missions. They pretty much did the opposite of what you would expect and forced you to drive like you would in real life.

I wish more open world games had something similar as it was a refreshing change of pace since everything else in driving games it about going as fast as possible. It took quite a bit of discipline to not just floor the supercar and it was rewarding when you completed the delivery and got the full amount.

One of my all-time favs. Didn't actually play the 2nd one, but a third title would be great to see one day.

While TDU was ahead of its time, I don't think it even came close to hitting its mark. The handling was below average, the rough road geometry only made that worse, and there were few compelling cars. If the driving had been solid I could have loved exploring and driving around Oahu for hours, but once the novelty of the concept began to fade, I felt I was better off playing pretty much anything else at the time.

I respect TDU for laying a foundation that greater games have followed, but I think TDU2 shows they had their priorities wrong. Fortunately The Crew is a much, much stronger effort with a very promising future in TC2 and onward, and I'm glad the guys at Ivory Tower have been given additional opportunities to properly execute the concept.

Classic game. Count me as another one who spent hour upon hour with this title--most of it just cruising. Still has a lot of unique aspects that no other racing titles have. Horizon could learn a few things from TDU.

I didn't play test drive unlimited until after I played TDU2 on ps3 and then came back to TDU1 on PS2 it was fun but I felt like I had way more fun on TDU2 especially when I bought it for PC it was amazing and I loved the Massive mod support.... I also played TDU1 on PC but I kept getting random crashes though my PC was way above the spec requirements for the game. But from both games, what I loved the most was being able to walk into a dealership of my favorite manufacturer (Ferrari) and pick out the model I wanted and chose different options that were available for said model.....yiu know what, I think I'll re-download TDU2

I played the PlayStation 2 version of Test Drive Unlimited. Even with its limitations, I thought it was a very engaging game. You felt connected to the cars that no other game would match or better- even including Gran Turismo games at the time. The XBOX 360 and PC (was there a PC one?) had more features and [obviously] better graphics. I think the coolest moment for me was going to about the west central part of Oahu in a vintage Mustang because there were some pretty cool drifting areas there. It was also interesting to go with purchasing houses. There is still a 10-car house I was trying to get, even if trying to sell one of my regular houses to go get it.

Later Test Drive Unlimited action is of the "good but not great" variety. TDU was hailed as being (indirect quote) "the most significant quantum leap in racing games since Gran Turismo." I certainly believe it. It was a solid game.

No - iirc PSP version's files are packed into one huge file, making it impossible to modify the game's content until that giant file is reverse engineered.

Now only if there was a TDU 3 coming out.
I played the TDU2 days and I miss it from time to time.

Now only if there was a TDU 3 coming out.
I played the TDU2 days and I miss it from time to time.

There is, but it's appearing that it's going to be quite awhile, Some of these job postings were from last September. Now it is possible that the game is further along than this indicates, but in my opinion, not very likely.

pkst7lbmslx31.png

Judging by what's said in the article, modding options are very limited by hardcoded file offsets. Until someone figures out how to change said offsets, mods' file sizes will have to match originals, otherwise the game will break.
I am genuinely surprised that TDUPSP.PCK got looked into to begin with.

One thing I liked about TDU was the delivery missions. They pretty much did the opposite of what you would expect and forced you to drive like you would in real life.

I wish more open world games had something similar as it was a refreshing change of pace since everything else in driving games it about going as fast as possible. It took quite a bit of discipline to not just floor the supercar and it was rewarding when you completed the delivery and got the full amount.

Literally delivery missions were the best!!!

Honestly I had so much fun with these missions but also it was tedious because one move can screw the whole thing up especially when you have like 2ks left to the destination.

Drives were also long but man it made the cruising so much more enjoyable.

Back