Mission 34 - Mercedes Mclaren SLR at Nurburgring

• Thread starter Swift
  • 1,256 comments
I have a tipp: On that mission the SLR was eqiped with RSH typres and default settings and default driving aids. I recommend - if you have the weed - to get a SLR and add Racing Super-Hard tyres and not to do oil change. Leave the driving aids as they are also. It will be the same. You can practise that way easily and will need only a few attempts to beat this mission. It's not that hard as it looks. All you need is patience and practice.

The car is equipped with S2´s in Mission 34 , if I remember correctly. ;)

raVer

YESSS! I FINALLY COMPLETED M34! :cheers:

Results:

POS-----------CAR-------------TIME--------------GAP
1---------SLR McLaren--------9:16.773----------no gap
2------------300 SL-----------9:16.775----------+0.002 (So close... :scared:)
3------------SLK 230----------9:20.975----------+4.202
4----------190 E EvoII-----------DNF------------unknown
5----------SL 65 AMG-----------DNF-------------unknown
6------------SL 500-------------DNF------------unknown

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m93sRPAn-w4

Photo finish:

http://yfrog.com/c8m34photofinishj

Last edited:
Ahead by 3.xxx seconds, cause on the last straight I span out in front of the sls which rammed me and I just sped off and won my jaw dropped when I had 1st

I got this game 7 years ago and tried this mission with the DS2 a couple times when I really didn't get in to the Driving Missions much. Now I'm revisiting it using the DFGT, and well, it seems you may as well be driving on completely worn out, underinflated, cheap garbage tires. Seems silly to drive one of the most perfectly designed automobiles in the world on $50 tires that apparently handle like donuts.

Last edited:
I got this game 7 years ago and tried this mission with the DS2 a couple times when I really didn't get in to the Driving Missions much. Now I'm revisiting it using the DFGT, and well, it seems you may as well be driving on completely worn out, underinflated, cheap garbage tires. Seems silly to drive one of the most perfectly designed automibles in the world on $50 tires that apparently handle like donuts.

After many many many attempts with the ds2 I switched up to a DFPro and did it in, welll it still took a while but the wheel made it much better. Is your rig/stand sturdy enough. You have to really give the wheel some to make the time.

Skuh
After many many many attempts with the ds2 I switched up to a DFPro and did it in, welll it still took a while but the wheel made it much better. Is your rig/stand sturdy enough. You have to really give the wheel some to make the time.

My setup is sturdy enough, it's just the slightest wrong move and I've spun out. This mission may not be passable or it's gonna take a while to get it down. Probably a couple months at this rate.

My setup is sturdy enough, it's just the slightest wrong move and I've spun out. This mission may not be passable or it's gonna take a while to get it down. Probably a couple months at this rate.

Its passable, you can do it. Stick with it, especially if you are new to the wheel.

When people ask me why I think GT4 was a better game than GT5, mission 34 is one of the first things i talk about.

Havent played GT4 in about 4 years but that mission is still etched on my memory.

Flame on:
Ok, this is my second time through this game.. I haven't played it in many years, but I certainly don't remember this mission being as hard as it seems to be now. I seem to recall this taking me about a week of a few hours a day to pass it, but this time around I'm on my 7th day, with my best time being -8 seconds.
The GT programmers took a perfectly fine car, mashed it into a toboggan on wheels, that doesn't like to turn or slow down, and then laughed manically while we all try to navigate this POS around the toughest track in the game. The mission replay says the car has sports medium tires on it, but after 3 days of trying to tune a stock mclaren to match the one in the mission, it was a total failure. The only way I could even remotely duplicate the handling of the mission car was with sports hard tires, ASM oversteer at 20, and asm understeer at 0, TC at 10, and even then, the stock car STILL handles better than the mission car. I was able to duplicate most of the other mission cars handling properties for practice purposes (maybe not perfectly, but at least close), but this one is completely out in left field. If you touch the gas, the car goes straight, even if you are already turning, unless you're already in a power slide. Maybe complaining here online about it will help me put it into perspective. :P
Flame off, vent over. *picks up his soapbox*

Hey this is the last thing I have to do to beat the game. Any advice/hints?

Practise. That's the only and best advice you can ever get.

You need to learn the track and car behaviour (which is a little bit odd and annoying comparing to the stock SLR), and be careful not to hit any of the cars you overtake, because you will get 5 second speed penalty. You can also take shortcuts in some parts of the track, but I prefer the clean and legit way.

The hardest part about the mission is waiting, not driving.

hey guy i have a simple question. how do i know if acar its na engine before buying it is there a list to know if the car has na type engine? in gt4

Having done this on both versions, I found getting those extra 10 seconds was not too bad, but then trying to get that last extra one or two seconds I needed was the real killer. You've basically got to overtake the 190E before the first gantry and be under +15 at that point, otherwise you might as well just start again.

Hey gang. Long time lurker. First time poster. I suppose I made this account when I first got the big bug for cars. I didn't actually get the game until 2008. So here goes nothing.

I did it. Finally. AT/exploits/NTSC. I started this file 6 something years ago. Off and on, and off and on I played it. I hated this mission before. Hated it when I came back. Still hate it even today.

First some photos, then the splits and the mission at hand.

346xtfn.gif

The splits. With selected commentary.
T1 +1:49.616
T2 +1:40.847
T3 +1:31.572
T4 +1:19.636 -my all time best ever sector here.
T5 +1:06.249
T6 +0:55.248 -spotted 5th. made an error by letting off the gas when wallriding. couldn't get into 2nd.
T7 +0:39.071
T8 +0:30.872
T9 +0:25.088 -car drifted to the grass and got squirrelly on me, lost 0.5s.
T0 +0:14.988 -oh god of cheesus christ, I have a chance. Let us pray that the Jerk doesn't block my pass of him.
T1 +0:06.576 -I can taste victory! And, the pass was EASY! Wooo!

-oh man, oh no, oh geez, oh god, oh boy, I didn't brake hard enough even though I started when I passed the Jerk. Smacked a wall, bounced, back onto track, THERE'S THE 300!, sliiiiiiiiide across the grass and almost hit the wall on the uphill left-hander. No Penalties!? :D It's on now! Drag race to the end!

MOV -0:00.151 -SUPER DUPER CLOSE.

9'13.238 -SLR
9'13.389 -300SL

My advice to anyone else still going for it...

Study your trouble spots on every run. Use each throwaway to practice different approaches and speed settings. I learned that I didn't have to break as early for the slight left into Aremburg hairpin, nor did I have to brake as early for the Aremburg hairpin itself. Especially if you are going to wallride/grasscut, you need to get used to the feeeling and placement of the car more than you would for a proper run.

Be comfortable. I sat in a nice high backed armchair with my monitor next to the tv so I could quickly glance at what section was next by description and speed I set in an image of the course. http://i57.tinypic.com/i4gzgo.png After awhile it became redundant as I remembered more and more of the course, but it helped me to practice and learn my trouble spots.

Thumb drive the throttle. If you are using a DS2, you can part-throttle by steering into a turn with your right thumb. It's easier on your muscle memory to remember how far to turn diagonally up&left on the right stick than it is to remember how far forward to push on the overly sensitive darn thing. I use this technique normally only on LMP and Formula cars due to their ability to go crazy at lower gear/high rpm.

If the game doesn't say that you lost, then you won. Wallride like Wall-E. Grasscut like IvySaur. Smash like Hulk. It's NTSC, it's unfair, and it's nigh improbable otherwise.

I honestly feel a better challenge would have been to drive a slow car as fast as possible away from the best car on the track over the course for a few laps. Chasing slower cars is what I do in the normal game, why would I want to do it with a 2 minute wait in a crap car with crap tires?

This surprisingly comes after that ridiculous GT-R Official Record on the Nur. I like showing that off too. But a totally different thread to rant in.

What's next for me in GT4? I don't know. I am tired of license tests sitting at 19 gold, the rest silver. So maybe just A-spec the enduros for fun. But I did take my new Formula car back to the Nur with some slight tweaking and headed for a sub 5:30 lap. I call it my Mission 35. I succeeded with a best of 5:24.xxx

976sf7.png

Last edited:
God, i remember when i first got Gran Turismo 4, it took me literally 3 months and 2 broken/twisted PS controllers to beat it, even then I won by 3 tenths of a second.

After winning i felt like on top of the world. Till one day i was playing when i should have been doing my homework, (a while back by the way :dopey: ) anyways, my mom decides to check on me while i was playing to make sure i was doing my homework

Now someone smart would turn off the tv, jump on their bed and pretend to do homework, but NO, stupid me went and pulled the plug from the back while it was saving. needless to say, the save became corrupt.

AND NO!, i am not going to retry it! :crazy:
I've had to replay this game literally five times because i turned off the console when it AUOTSAVED! THIS time i turned autosave OFF... then my PS2 stopped working...wow...
Also there was a time when I nearly beat it except then i tried to cut the track and crashed. I hate myself sometimes. ;(

Wow it's easier for the PAL. Thanks alot PD. :rolleyes:
I may be reviving a old thread but still that's probably a payback move by PD to the NTSC users of GT3. Keep in mind that is was the case before in GT3 where in the last Time Trial event in Complex String, the time required to beat in the PAL version was 3/5 seconds longer than in the NTSC versions of GT3.

I wonder how hard it would be for me to play this mission nowadays since the last time i tried to do this mission, it was 2011 and i was only 12 years old. I never completed this mission along with several 3 lap battle missions like that Toyota 2000GT at New York or the Lancia Stratos at Monaco.

If only my PS2 worked right now. :irked:

I may be reviving a old thread but still that's probably a payback move by PD to the NTSC users of GT3. Keep in mind that is was the case before in GT3 where in the last Time Trial event in Complex String, the time required to beat in the PAL version was 3/5 seconds longer than in the NTSC versions of GT3.

Wow when I got this in my Alerts I was trying to think when I posted in a thread like this. :lol:

Yesterday, I tried to replicate the NTSC version of Mission #34, so I waited for 123 seconds instead of 115. I managed to win it easily, so I gave another shot and this time I put an extra handicap by myself and waited for 130 seconds. IIRC, I won by less than half a second. :gtpflag:

Tried this mission today, this after starting playing GT4 again a few weeks ago to have a 100% game save file (lost my other on a PS2 memory card, I'm currently playing in a backwards compatible PS3). I'm using the PAL version this time, and it was waaaaaay easier than I was expecting. Maybe because my experience as a GT player has improved over the years... But it took me only 3 tries this time around... The final time was 9:13 and this was far from a good driving as I went into the grass twice, and in both times it slowed me down, I was lucky not to have penalty in either case since I managed to turn enough so that the back/side of the car crashed into the wall instead of the front and I feel I slowed down in a few turns in the final sectors of the Ring.

9:13.287 was the exact time... In the NTSC version you're supposed to be doing a 9:12 for the certain win(there are times where the 300SL finishes in the 9:13s) so yeah, I confirmed it this time around that you don't actually need a PERFECT lap to win this mission in either version of the game, ofc with the PAL one being far more forgiving.
Oh and btw, I used a DS3. I don't use wheelies, only because I don't have enough room or a good enough table to have one :/.

The Vettel challenge in Nurbugring and especially Suzuka in GT5 remain, BY FAR the hardest events in GRAN TURISMO history, before the patches.

Latest Posts

Back