Mission 34 notes:

• Thread starter Nuvolari
  • 40 comments
Rudedog_27
His race started at 1:55. What is that all about. I had to start at 2:03 and had to beat the second place car before 9:13 (need to do the lap in 7:10 to win) PAL version need to do the lap in 7:21. They get extra 8 seconds of the line and thier competition is 3 seconds slower. All I can say is if anyone beat mission 34 in normal version not PAL without so called cheating, I wanna see how you did it.

I also have PAL version, and it starts at 1:55. I did that fairly comfortably (by 4 seconds). I also did it with waiting to 2:03 before I started. That was difficult, but far from impossible. I won by 2.0 seconds with a time of 9:10.4. I didn't cut any grass or use any barriers. To be honest I don't see how it would help except on one corner. And let's be honest, it's kind of cheating.

You don't need to be perfect. For a perfect lap you have to push really hard in the slow and the medium speed and the fast corners. But for simply a very good run to win this mission, you only really need to push in the slow corners (you gain more time in slow corners), which is good. You can afford to be cautious in the faster corners.

Also, there is an element of luck. In my run, I would guess that passing the other cars cost me about 4 seconds. But if you caught them all at the right points on the track, you could lose very little time. Basically if you are lucky you will catch them either on a straight or in a long braking zone.

Do you have a video I can download and take a look at your lines? I'm pushing very hard at each turn and passing is not a problem. I dont lose anytime there at all. If I hit em and get a penalty then I start all over again I pretend there are not there. If anyone has a replay, NTSC version without cheating. Send me the link PLEASE!!! :dopey:

I've been on and off trying to beat this mission and i finally got down to within a second of the SL but was still struggling within .5secs....so i tried something different. I just got a new Ipod so i put those headphones on and put the volume down low; they dont stop any noise from the outside world, so i could hear the SLR perfectly....and then i beat the SL by .999 seconds, and i screwed up once or twice too. Give it a shot, its good for relieving stress that makes you brake late and lose time.

PS. i dislike the music that is in the game currently, hence the ipod.

I'm using DFP and on the NTSC version of the game.

Hi!

Short introduction:
Some people probably have seen my name around and some haven't. For you who haven't I've been in GT for some years. Mostly at the House of GT. I even had the honour to be in the original 9 Boards Race (thanks Wity and Pedro for the event!).

About Mission 34. I have PAL version. I started to play GT4 so that at first I did all licenses to gold and then cleared all missions. Beating M34 took some time. The car was awkward and the track was unknown to me before GT4.

I was happy after getting a clean 9:15 (no wall riding and 2 wheels on the track), but after having some discussion with NTSC guys at the House I thought to try to improve my lap time so that I would finish first in NTSC version too. Naturally the AI cars are in different locations when I did my run in PAL than they would be in NTSC version. So an absolute comparison isn't possible. Anyway I calculated that 9:04 - 9:05 in PAL would be good enough.

Before the final tries I even bought SLR McLaren and went to free run. I had to put ASM and TCS on to make the car feel as it was in the mission. I also bought one step harder sport tires to make it feel as bad as it is in the mission. I think that with stock settings a new SLR is much better than the car in the mission.

I have no write through, but here's a video clip of Mission 34 (19 MB) which isn't very good quality. The run should have no wall riding and no more than 2 wheels off the track. The time is 9:03.303. There were some unintentional cases where I had two wheels off and some small errors, but for my level the run is quite OK.

I hope the clip would give some help.

I've also seen daan's run and a couple of others. A clean sub 9 minutes run in PAL is clearly possible if the fast guys would give it a try.

Sup people i had fun doing mission 34 it was koo even tho i had to cut the grass in the first part of the race . I will try it again this time no cuting the grass at all . I was reading some of your lap times and mine are like 2 or 3 sec faster than yours in some parts . Well ill be back to put up my lap time keep up the good work people 👍 And Rudedog_27 lets race lol. Here are some tips for beating this mission 34 . 1) break early .2) dont turn while on the gas.3)hug the inside of every turn. if you have any questions ask me.

here are my times

+.417

Thanks De Bolle! That site is great, I just downloaded it for future reference. That said...

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!! I HATE THIS MISSION!!!! I've just had 6 goes at it and the best time I can muster is a 9:23 and I felt like I nailed every friggin corner!!!! I think I'm gonna need to spend some more time studieng those lines and figure out how I'm messing up, I've noticed I can't follow some of the original authors run, especially after the first small jump, I've got to at least tap the brakes entering that righthand turn... oh well, back to the grindstone.

Ha, cracked it today! It was my first shot at it and I got EXCEPTIONALLY lucky - as far as I can gather, the leader and second place collected each other at that little jump near Wipperman/Pfanzgarten 1, spun off, and took their time getting back on, and by Tiergarten I was in second. Admittedly, I skipped the left/right combo between the final sector and the final corner to get into first, but with the extraordinary luck I'd had, I didn't want to waste it. Handling was no problem, I have a tendency to put sports tyres on LMPs or other high-powered cars when I want to rake races I've already won for money. My only problem is the SLR's gearbox (I've had difficulty with it in Supercar Festival) because the gears are so much longer - I was doing about 150km/h in second while braking for Aremburg.

Alavilla
I have no write through, but here's a video clip of Mission 34 (19 MB) which isn't very good quality. The run should have no wall riding and no more than 2 wheels off the track. The time is 9:03.303. There were some unintentional cases where I had two wheels off and some small errors, but for my level the run is quite OK.

]

Good one dude! 👍 👍

I was going to do the same once I got to 100% to get over the whinging from the NTSC guys.

Friday: 💡 hmm, Why don't I do the last Driving Missions and win a car to use in the Prof. League World Championship instead of moving on to something else for a while. How hard can it be?

Monday: :banghead: Whyyyyyyyyyyy!?!? After much pain and frustration, I am so close I can smell it. Playing on-and-off during the weekend, I've worked it down to being consistently under five seconds back and as close as 1.055 seconds. I wanted to finish it off today, but I thought I was going to have a brain aneurism. So hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

Things that have killed my otherwise on-pace-to-win laps thus far:
- DS2 malfunction (analog cutting out) at Pflanzgarten II. This has happened to me before...one of my controllers is broken but I can never tell which one it is. After switching controllers, my lap times went down by 3-4 seconds for a while just due to different controller feel...something I have never experienced in GT4 before, but this mission requires precision.
- Phone ringing at Hohe Acht after posting a split time two seconds faster than any I had seen before. (By the way, nobody answered.)
- 5 second penalty at Schikane after posting a 15.1 split time at the bridge (fastest bridge split so far), resulting in a 2.1 second loss.

Thanks to everyone who posted reports on Mission: Impossible so far, they have been extremely helpful. I'll add my own detailed report when (if) I beat it.

Facts: NTSC version, DS2, some lawn-mowing but no wall-riding (hopefully).

Done! Here's my Mission [Impossible] 34 report:

Version: NTSC
Control: Dual Shock 2
Technique: lawn-mowing in some places, but no wall riding/sliding into T13 barrier

Split Times:
+1'49.247
+1'40.499
+1'30.678
+1'18.862
+1'06.276
+0'55.145
+0'40.458
+0'32.312
+0'26.125
+0'14.504
+0'06.228
-0'0.062

Lap Time: 9'12.972

Full-Lap Video: http://web.mit.edu/scolton/www/M34_NTSC_stream.wmv

This lap was far from perfect. I messed up the exit of "Miss-Hit-Miss" (I Hit-Miss-Missed :scared: ) and as a result, almost lost it coming into Wehrseifen, but somehow I saved it and actually wound up lined up to exit Wehrseifen. I also left the track unintentionally at the end of Wipperman, but again managed to get back on safely. Both scary mistakes, but damage to lap time was minimal. Being able to make amazing saves is crucial to this mission, since hitting a perfect lap is very hard.

Everyone develops their own line through this track, so I won't do a turn-by-turn run through. (You can watch the video, if you want.) But here are a few things I learned:

-While this mission can be done without lawn-mowing, I don't even want to think about how many more attempts it would have taken me. I tried to keep things reasonable, i.e. no wall-riding or flying through the final turns and hand-braking into the T13 barrier. The places where I found that "alternative lines" (through the grass) helped the most were:
-The first series of turns from Hatzenback to Hocheichen.
-Adenauer-Forst
-Hohe Act
-Pflanzgarten II, kind of (I like to hit it full-throttle and hang on for dear life.)
-T13, I brake for the Schikane but go across the hill straight toward the final turn.
Other than that, staying on the track seemed to be fastest.

-I seemed to be having trouble matching other people's second split time, even though my first was on-pace. I am positive that Flugplatz had a lot to do with this. Originally, I took the jump at full throttle and hit the brakes as soon as I landed, sometimes sliding the back out a bit and then gassing it through Flugplatz. After watching the video posted by Alavilla, I tried braking before the jump and then holding light acceleration into Flugplatz until I had enough room to exit at full-throttle. This seemed to be a bit faster. In general, if you have a choice to brake before or after a low-traction point, before is safer and often faster. Another place where this came up was at the turn between Pflanzgarten I and II with the sand run-off. Braking before the dip and then coasting around seemed to work better. When you have been racing for four hours straight, the last thing you want to do is lose it in a sand run-off 3/4 the way through your lap.

-As has been mentioned already, the most important turns are the ones leading into long straights. Focus on nailing these exits, even if it means sacrificing the turn before. Particularly:
-Flugplatz
-Aremburg
-Exmuhle, maybe, but...
-Bergwerk, definitely
-Galgenkopf

The rest is REPETITION! I was shocked at the times I was putting up my first few tries...15-20 seconds over and I thought I was using pretty good lines. I got it down to 7-ish seconds pretty easily, but after that it was a real grind. At some points, I just had to quit for the day because I wasn't getting any faster and couldn't stay focused on it. Once I started hitting under 5 seconds consistently, I knew it was just a matter of time before I nailed a perfect lap. THERE WILL BE TEASERS! I hit 1.055 once, but then couldn't even hit 4 seconds for the rest of the day. My last few races were in the 0.2-0.8 range. By far the worst was a 0.034 seconds loss...but at the same time I knew I was going to hit it soon, and I did two tries later. ALSO, YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES. Try not to break anything. Unless I was having a miserable lap and wanted to just forget about it, I would finish off the lap even with no chance of winning. It's good practice and you can experiment with new lines once the pressure of winning is off your shoulders. If you keep resetting every time you don't hit a split, you will eventually get the first 11 splits down, but then you may not know how you are going to handle the Shikane or T13. Better to practice them on your crappy laps so that you are ready when you see that bridge split of under 15 seconds.

So, get comfortable and accept the fact that you are probably going to be there for a while. Don't try to win at first. Instead, try to hit a time consistently. Then when you can, push a little harder or try a different line and see what happens. If you get a better time, try to hit that one consistently instead of immediately trying to go down another few seconds. Focus on racing as smoothly as possible instead of pushing your traction. Your times will drop naturally that way. Eventually, you will work it down under two seconds. At that point, it's mostly luck and not letting your nerves get you at the Schikane. (One of my misses was a 14.3 split at the bridge, my fastest ever, when I hit the wall before Shikane, did a 180, slid backwards into T13 as my 5-second penalty expired and gassed it, losing by only 0.238 seconds.)

MISSION 34 IS BY FAR the hardest thing I have ever done in any version of Gran Turismo. It caught me by surprise, and I could have just given up and come back to it later, but when you can steadily improve your lap times after saying, "There's no way I can go any faster," it feels good and you have to keep trying. So for anyone who is looking for a quick trick for Mission Impossible, I don't believe it exists. Just keep doing it and try not to get frustrated...it can be done and even an imperfect lap can be salvaged for a win.

Thanks again to everyone who posted notes before me. They were incredibly helpful!

And for everyone still trying, GOOD LUCK! ;)

Back