Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
New Mitsubishi MPV unveiled, exclusive to the Indonesian market. The name of the vehicle hasn't been released yet.
2018-mitsubishi-next-generation-mpv-0.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/new-mitsubishi-next-generation-mpv-has.html

Mitsubishi's Suvs and Triton are selling well here now, almost more then Holden.

Their car range though I would say is dead and probably not coming back though.

Mitsubishi's Suvs and Triton are selling well here now, almost more then Holden.

Their car range though I would say is dead and probably not coming back though.
I'll second that and add Suzuki took their place in the car segment. if they can do a ute for the market here, look out.

It's called Expander.
Please not.
It reminds me of that gun in The Fifth Element, too much going on. However, people that bought the Delica and those nasty SsssanggggYyyyonnggggg minivans, will love this.

Please not.
It reminds me of that gun in The Fifth Element, too much going on. However, people that bought the Delica and those nasty SsssanggggYyyyonnggggg minivans, will love this.

Well, maybe internationally it will have a different name. In Indonesia, it's called that, sounds like a pants made for fat people :lol:

i-MiEV is discontinued for the US market
Over seven years (and five model years, with 2013 and 2015 skipped altogether), Mitsubishi sold only 2,108 of the little electric cars in the U.S. through last month. Half of those were sold in 2013, and another quarter in 2012.

While there was officially a 2017 model year for the i-MiEV, sales fell to 15 units in July 2016 and haven't even hit double digits since then.

Now Erica Rasch at Mitsubishi Motors North America has confirmed the little car's demise: "2017 was the last model year for the i-MiEV, and all available retail units have been sold."
GreenCarReports.com

I genuinely had no idea they were available in the US until I saw one like a week ago.

Did they even bother trying to market the thing, or did I just somehow miss any and all advertising for it?

I genuinely had no idea they were available in the US until I saw one like a week ago.

Did they even bother trying to market the thing, or did I just somehow miss any and all advertising for it?
They were only sold in the pacific states.

They were only sold in the pacific states.

Uh, IIRC they were eventually sold everywhere. There are quite a few here in west Michigan, including a few driven in my neighborhood. Never quite as good as the Leaf, let alone the rest of the compliance car market, it's not a surprise it's fallen off. Makes me wonder if they'll do a new model to fall in line with California requirements.

Leaked images of the new Mitsubishi Delica concept to be official unveiled at the Tokyo auto show in October

mitsubishi-delica-concept.jpg
I'd love it if the Delica made it to the U.S. but I doubt it'd be successful. Although I'm sure they'd sell them by the truckloads up north.

Mitsubishi plans on building a pickup truck for the American market. The CEO says that "its at the top of the to-do list".

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/mitsubishi-wants-sell-pickup-america/

So, like, the Raider except not actually just spare parts from a Dodge Dakota?

I'd love it if the Delica made it to the U.S. but I doubt it'd be successful. Although I'm sure they'd sell them by the truckloads up north.

FWIW, if you mean 'up north' to be Canada, the car I saw most often that was a JDM import was a Delica when I lived in Vancouver. So there is precedence.

I think he meant New England and the other northern regions.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised - I still see a lot of Outlander SUVs.

I could see these selling in places like Seattle or Portland, maybe in Vermont and Maine too, but really nowhere else.

The only problem with it, is the size and its a "minivan". The people who would buy as a off roader will not want it cause its a "minivan" and the people who will buy it as "minivan" won't want ot cause of the size (seating capacity/interior space). The current Delica is just abit bigger then the Mazda5 and that didn't sell well in the US.

The only problem with it, is the size and its a "minivan". The people who would buy as a off roader will not want it cause its a "minivan" and the people who will buy it as "minivan" won't want ot cause of the size (seating capacity/interior space). The current Delica is just abit bigger then the Mazda5 and that didn't sell well in the US.
Ahh, that explains why I like it then. I loved the Mazda 5 and may pick up a used one someday.

There is a claim that younger people are looking for more utility oriented vehicles. The Delica might strike most as different enough to avoid the minivan stigma.

But I think there's too many risks involved. It doesnt help that Mitsubishi has a negligible dealer network.

-> ...
It's called Expander.
^ Correction: Xpander:

mitsubishixpander6-7499.jpg

^ And this (abomination) vehicle will not be just exclusive in Indonesia, but the rest of Southeast Asia too. :yuck:

-> The Delica series are always cool. Mitsu would redeem themselves if ever they will ship these to the US. :indiff:

Mitsubishi killed itself by racing to the bottom.

They need to restart business in the US around 2 products: Eclipse & Evo.
They are literally doing just that.

They're just going to be CUV's instead. Because those are currently selling at sustainable volumes for every manufacturer, not just Mitsubishi.

Grasping onto strings from the past would only lead them down the inescapable pit of demise.

Mitsubishi killed itself by racing to the bottom.

They need to restart business in the US around 2 products: Eclipse & Evo.
I'm sure they want to produce another sports coupe or sedan as much as their fans want them to, but they just need the cash from the CUVs first. Even other manufactures struggle with sports cars. Just look at the Nissan 370Z. In my opinion, the only reason that car is still around is because Nissan has the money to keep it around.

-> If Mitsu isn't willing to build sports/sporty cars anymore. At least, bring back most of their hardcore truck-based line-up, like the L200/Strada/Triton/Mighty Max, Pajero/Montero, Pajero/Montero Sport, and the epic 4WD minivan, the Delica.

-> While at it, bring back Pajero/Montero (3-dr) & L200 Evolutions:

Mitsubishi-Pajero-Evolution.jpg

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_l200_evolution_4.jpg

149_l200-rs-2g.jpg

125186856_9a07ac4ad1_z.jpg

^ Imagine this as a plain-body!

Last edited:
@The Vanishing Boy
While that would be ideal, they haven't updated the Pajero in over a decade and it looks like it's going to take the Nissan Patrol to do it. Two/three door SUV's are risky, especially in the U.S. Jeep is the only one still able to pull it off and even then, the Wrangler Unlimited still sells in greater volumes.

It is certainly more plausible than resurrecting their car side of the business, but almost as unlikely due to the risks involved. Mitsubishi cannot afford risks and it will be 10+ years of strong, sensible products before they might try putting something out that stirs the heart and nostalgia.

The Evo electric suv is about the biggest/only risk they'll be taking for awhile.

Entry level Eclipse Cross on the way

MITSUBISHI will broaden the appeal of its freshly launched Eclipse Cross small SUVlater this year with the addition of a new entry-level variant that will likely be priced below $30,000 (plus on-road costs).

The all-new SUV hits showrooms this month in two model grades, kicking off with the front-wheel-drive LS from $30,500 plus on-roads and the flagship Exceed which is offered in front- and all-wheel-drive guise from $36,000 and $38,500 respectively.

A base variant will give Mitsubishi a range-opener that will help the Eclipse Cross better compete against its major rivals, including the Nissan Qashqai that is available is base ST manual guise from $26,490.

Mitsubishi is yet to confirm pricing or specification for the forthcoming baseline variant, but it will use the ES moniker found elsewhere in the Mitsubishi stable.

Passenger cars staying

Last edited:
Aside from the name, that’s a pretty handsome looking SUV.

Anyways, that’s probably what Mitsubishi is sticking as in the future, the Alliance’s SUV branch. I wouldn’t expect them to release any sedans or coupes for a looong time.

Personally I dont see the point in this :lol:
Even though sporty coupes aren't known to sell in high volume, it could liven up the image of Mitsubishi. Right now, all they make is two cheap economy blobs and two generic crossovers. It could make a good WRX or Kia Stinger competitor, possibly.

But you're right. To a company that's hanging on by the skin of it's teeth, making a performance car is pretty pointless.

Back