Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
Mitsubishi's woes date back probably half a decade further than that, when Chrysler decided (or Mercedes decided for them, more likely, but whatever) that they didn't need/want Mitsubishi as a business partner anymore. And since that was always Mitsubishi's entire schtick for even being in the American market...

The Mirage looks like it has traveled through time from the 1990's, in a bad way.

This car had better be cheap. However, the formula could work really well, looking at the Versa. It may skimp a bit on quality, but it's selling really well.

That's the only explanation. I mean...

>mfw seeing those sales numbers
>trollface.jpg

It's entirely supporting what Nissan is doing. They're blowing numbers out into the sky that I really don't understand. Or at the very least, I'm confused by it. The thing is, the entire notion that they can sell what is a very basic, moderately equipped vehicle for little more than $12k is actually pretty astonishing. Air conditioning, power windows, ABS, traction control, air bags... I'm not sure what else you truly need. And yet, the interior parts bin looks like it came from Pre-Skool, and even if there is an unbelievable amount of room in the backseat area, that damn thing is as hard as an NYC park bench. Hurm.

It's both appealing and entirely revolting at the same time. It's not a bad looking car, and yet it's entirely bland. It's good for my wallet, and yet, I'm never going to see good resale values. It has everything I need, and nothing that I want. It's capable of being driven, but I don't wan to drive it.

Dammit.

The Versa is the modern Paradox.

The Versa is actually a very good small car, if you ignore the shoddy plastics and the bland interior/exterior design. For the money Nissan charges, I'd say it's a fairly compelling package indeed.

If I didn't care much about enjoying my driving, I could easily see myself in one. They make a pretty obscene amount of financial sense when you consider the low price and the multi-year warranty. Hell, it manages 40 MPG, too. It's not entirely unlike an early '90s Sentra, to be honest. But those things have a soul. I'm not really feeling one in this.

But my Mom would love one. In blue.

IMO its hiddeous. Why can't these companies make stuff people would actually want. Mitsu struggles from a couple of things...1. Not enough of a diverse group of cars to choose from. 2. Deep-sixing your popular models (ie, Eclipse, Evo and yes the Galant) for redesigns of other cars no one was buying. They need to make things for the markets they are selling to. The US market, for the most part, doesnt want some rinky dink pile that would get
40+ mpg but look like it was made for a 16 year old japanese school girl. We are a total package type society, we want the mpg, style and gadgets. I think this version of the Mirage would not sell well here at all...major fail Mitsu major fail! If they want to help themselves, they need to make this concept the next Galant. I know lots of people that would get one...
Live_Concept-ZT_1_Large.jpg

187 HP/ 295 TQ 2.2l turbo clean diesel, awd and a twin clutch sst trans. Now we are talkin!

And less informed people would think you own an Audi.

Trouble with that car, as gorgeous as it looks, and as awesome as it could potentially be for Mitsubishi, is that it's not going to fund itself.

I have a galant now and some idiots think I own an Accord so....whatever. But Mitsu needs potential, they need good looking cars which right now, they dont have

Trouble with that car, as gorgeous as it looks, and as awesome as it could potentially be for Mitsubishi, is that it's not going to fund itself.

It's not just that, they'd need to charge a silly amount for the car to make the proper amount of money back. And with Mitsubishi's shinning reputation as a brand in this country, I'd imagine that it'd go over as well as a lower class fellow making his way into Harvard on an athletic scholarship.

That Galant looks really awesome. It'd be cool if Mitsubishi could get one of the larger manufacturers to partner with them and share the costs of bringing the car to market. For example, this is approximately 1000000x better-looking than the current VW Passat, and VW could move quite a few units if they made VW-ized that and called it the next Passat.

But yes, I agree, Mitsubishi needs cars and not toys to carry them through the future.

Looks like someone taped an Evo's face to a Ford Taurus. Not that it looks bad. :dopey:

If they want to help themselves, they need to make this concept the next Galant. I know lots of people that would get one...
Live_Concept-ZT_1_Large.jpg

187 HP/ 295 TQ 2.2l turbo clean diesel, awd and a twin clutch sst trans. Now we are talkin!
That thing is sweet. Clean design but still very Mitsu in the front. I like how all their cars (especially the new Outlander) resemble a Samurai in the face. Very Japanese.

^That's very sharp. I own an 08 Evo X. Bought it new. It's been a trouble free ride and I was very skeptical about Mitsu build quality.

^That's very sharp. I own an 08 Evo X. Bought it new. It's been a trouble free ride and I was very skeptical about Mitsu build quality.

Most Evo owners I've talked to only really complain about the interior quality. Other than that, they couldn't care less as they have an Evo.:)

Most Evo owners I've talked to only really complain about the interior quality. Other than that, they couldn't care less as they have an Evo.:)

Yeah, that's not a high priority. It's a Lancer after all. But I've been pleasantly surprised. I owned a WRX and a Forester before this car and both of those cars were rattle traps-drove me nuts. My Evo is so much better in that department-feels rock solid. A few small dash rattles over highway expansion joints but that's it.

If VW ever bought Mitsu, this is how the offspring would look like.

But still, we're all cheering for Mitsubishi and if a shoddy-looking B segment hatch is the car that will inject the much needed cash into the brand, I honestly wish that it sells like hotcakes.

Yeah, that's not a high priority. It's a Lancer after all. But I've been pleasantly surprised. I owned a WRX and a Forester before this car and both of those cars were rattle traps-drove me nuts. My Evo is so much better in that department-feels rock solid. A few small dash rattles over highway expansion joints but that's it.

I've been less than impressed with the interior on mine, personally. I've racked up nearly 60k miles on it, and the driver seat is showing a lot of wear, as if I'd driven twice the mileage. Had to replace the whole gauge cluster this summer, and the HVAC controls sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. The dashboard seems to pick up all sorts of glare on sunny days too, which gets tiresome on long drives. I'm a bit dissapointed that the only manual transmission available is a 5 speed, that kind of ruins the gas mileage on the highway, and I've heard stories of lazy shifts/response with the SST on the MRs.

But you see them far less often than the STi's, which is a plus I guess. It's a better everyday car than the STi, slightly more refined, yet it retains a bit of that raw early EVO DNA. I'll live with its faults because it's a very nice car anyway, but I don't think I'd buy another one when I eventually get rid of that one.

And that's the biggest problem with Mitsubishi, I think. People buy them, enjoy them somewhat, but they all seem to look elsewhere when it comes time to replace their cars. Which is something that can't be said for most of the other Japanese companies. And the Germans.

^^ That's too bad. I've put 44k on mine. So far none of those problems...knock on wood. Mine's a 5 speed too-still on original clutch. If I had a higher speed or longer commute, I'd probably have a different vehicle because of the lack of a 6th gear.

I got the X after searching and searching for a used IX to replace an 03 S2K. Wanted something that could get close to the quick reflexes of an S2000 but with seating for 4. Got kids and wanted a safe car. Never found a IX for a decent price but got a X for 0%. One day I went to a dealer to see a Evo 8 but of course it was pretty beat, he asked me if I wanted to drive a new X. I hadn't even considered one at the time. They just had just come out and all I had heard was "too heavy, new engine sucks, blah, blah, blah". One drive was all it took. Stopped my IX search as the X is a much better DD.

It's funny, I'd started getting into track days with my S2K and a previous WRX and that was my intention for the X. Then got into GT5 and joining leagues and that started satisfying my adrenaline needs. Virtual is sooo much cheaper and the closest road course is 3 hours away (VIR). Now the car is basically a commuter that rarely goes over 55mph!

Funny or ironic, I also owned an S2000 a few years ago... :lol: Still the best car I've ever owned, bar perhaps it's smaller/less refined, red badge wearing, screaming fwd cousin from the same company, the ITR.

Ha. Looks like we've got nearly identical taste in cars! I loved that S2K and it was my all time favorite car too. Berlina Black. I shopped for an ITR for a long time too but never pulled the plug on a purchase. My mechanic has a boosted yellow ITR that he runs at VIR. He had it featured in one of those import car magazines a few years back.

I love the S2K, I want one but I cant practically find a reason to own one. I sometimes want a convertible. So as it stands I just borrow my dads 2012 Z4 from time to time. I have a galant that I adore but its really time for a new car and I have been looking at G35 sports coupes or a big body power sedan like a used M5 or E55. In all seriousness though, i'll probably end up with a Legacy GT since I can get one in manual and they are faster than most people realize

Every subcompact player needs a trump suit, from Ford's tech-rich Fiesta to Honda's impossibly space-efficient Fit, and the Mirage's calling card figures to be its fuel economy. Mitsubishi says it expects its 2014 Mirage to achieve 37 miles per gallon in the city and 44 on the highway (combined rating of 40 mpg) when equipped with a continuously variable transmission. Those figures are good enough, Mitsu says, to earn it the title of the most fuel-efficient gasoline vehicle sold in America that isn't a hybrid.

Beyond all of that, this seems like a fairly appropriate entry into the B-segment for Mitsubishi. It really reminds me of a mid-90s Japanese compact, albeit with a fair bit more standard equipment. I think the biggest concern has to be the pricing. In a world where the Nissan Versa scrapes the bottom of the barrel and the sales numbers are through the roof, Mitsubishi needs to walk a very thin line with this one. As a reasonable alternative to the Versa at the very least, Mitsubishi could pull away a few sales with good standard equipment and (hopefully) a better driving experience. But a full-on competitor to the revamped Fiesta and Fit? Not so fast...

I don't understand what would possess someone to buy a $10,000 Mitsubishi... whatever that is, instead of an $8000 used Ford Focus. Or any other number of used, somewhat reliable cars for less that 10 Grand. Same goes for pretty much that entire segment.

I guess some people would prefer to run in cheap plastic boxes instead of a slightly-older, decent car.

My Grandmother owned a Mirage,
(Not my picture, and hers was Green)

I recall it being acutely uncomfortable, had a crap stereo, no power, a horrible ride, and only got 30-ish MPG. And I recall her paying something like $18,000 for it brand new. A few months ago, my mate bought an Impreza STi for that money. I just still don't grasp it... Maybe I'll make a separate thread for it.

The same reason why people bought the first Hyundais. You'll be surprised what people spend their money on. It's a personal choice. Some people may finally be in the position to buy a new car. I've sold new cars here in Australia. People bought Chery's imported from China. Literally inexpensive pieces of junk. The group stopped importing them because the cars were falling apart. We took one back because the engine blew up one week after the owner took delivery and GAVE Her a FREE brand new Mazda2. I sold Kia, Mazda, Holden, Fiat, Toyota, Nissan, Great Wall. Out of those manufacturers, why would anyone buy something so inexpensive?

I agree, look what great used cars can be bought for the money. But, people do have to have the latest gadgets...

Gotta change the headline to: "Good News! The Mitsubish Mirage is coming to the US!".

They should sell it here in emerging markets such as ours, because it isn't much different design-wise from what we have around to buy and I bet it's actually pretty competent dynamically. Price it reasonably and you've got a whole new market for yourself Mitsu-san.

Back