Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
That Attrage looks like it would tip over in the corners.. enough ground clearance to go off-roading and the roof looks high enough to challenge low entry signs..

Kill it with much, much fire.

The hatch is dull. This is just awful. I don't think I'll ever understand the eastern markets' attraction to sedans based on subcompacts.

This. And why a sedan? A hatch is so much better.

They should have put a de-tuned EVO X engine/drivetrain in the Eclipse and gave us another GSX. .

Almost kind of exists.

2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe-2-0-turbo-four-r-spec-tuner.jpg

Drive it sideways and it don't. Ridiculously easy car to drift. More of a new Silvia than a new Eclipse... just a bit too wide (yeah, the last Silvia wasn't all that small, but it's a bit more wieldy).

Does the touch screen really slot into the dash like that? It looks like an aftermarket Double-DIN system shoved in with a $15 adapter you buy at Wal-Mart.

Pretty much. Bear in mind, this is a very cheap car.

Weird they're comparing it to the Almera. The Almera has a wheelbase some 9 inches longer than the Mirage.

Pretty much. Bear in mind, this is a very cheap car.

Weird they're comparing it to the Almera. The Almera has a wheelbase some 9 inches longer than the Mirage.
The VW Up is about the same sort of money but you've got quality for your money.

The Mirage starts at a lower price (at least here in the Asia-Pacific market), has more space, more doors and a bigger engine.

And then consider that there's an even lower-spec Mirage for markets that don't require ABS+EBD or stability control. Priced even lower than competing products from other manufacturers.

Yes, the Mirage has a horrible interior... well, spartan... to count as horrible it would need Chinese-level fit and finish... but it is being marketed as a relatively roomy super-mini with more motor than most but the same fuel economy.

Having tested it, myself... I believe the fuel economy part. It makes some of the 1.0s look like gas-guzzlers. Only cars I've driven that can beat it are hybrids and the Indian superminis (Alto, Eon), which are nowhere near as safe or as spacious.

Last edited:
Pricing for the Mirage in the US

All-New 2014 Mirage, the Most Fuel-Efficient Gasoline-Powered Non-Hybrid Vehicle in America

The all-new 2014 Mirage offers best-in-class fuel economy with an EPA rating of 37 mpg city/44 mpg highway/40 mpg combined (CVT-equipped models; 5-speed manual transmission model delivers an EPA fuel economy rating of 34 mpg city/42 mpg highway/37 mpg combined).

Major contributors to the new Mirage's outstanding fuel efficiency are its exceptionally clean exterior with its very low 0.28 drag coefficient, an engine equipped with the latest version of Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control (MIVEC) variable valve-timing system, and Electric Power Steering (EPS) that does away with fuel-burning parasitic drag on the engine from a conventional hydraulic-based power steering.

Every 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage is equipped with a comprehensive list of advanced safety features including a seven (7) air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL), Mitsubishi Motors' patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) impact-absorbing safety cell technology, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and convenient Hill Start Assist (HSA included on CVT-equipped models).

Featuring a plethora of welcome standard amenities, the $12,995 MSRP starting price for the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE model includes automatic climate control, keyless entry with panic alarm, sporty-looking rear spoiler, upscale piano black center console trim, auto-off halogen headlights, rear heater floor ducts, plus much more.

For only $1,200 more, the 2014 Mirage ES model includes all of the standard features from the DE trim level while adding FAST (Free-hand Advanced Security Transmitter)-key passive entry, One-Touch Start/Stop (OSS) engine switch, Bluetooth© hands-free phone system, steering wheel-mounted cruise and audio controls, 14-inch alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, fog lamps, silver interior accent trim, and other features. What's more, an available Navigation Package adds helpful features including a SD card-based navigation system and rearview camera system.

Priceline- Powertrain - MSRP- Description

DE - 1.2L / 5MT - $12,995 - DE FWD 5MT

DE - 1.2L / CVT - $13,995 - DE FWD CVT

ES - 1.2L / 5MT - $14,195 - ES FWD 5MT

ES - 1.2L / CVT - $15,195 - ES FWD CVT

ES - 1.2 L / CVT - $16,095 - ES FWD + NAVI PACKAGE
media.mitsubishicars.com

US MSRP doesn't include tax, right? If so, that's a bit more expensive than it is here, but there's more standard spec.

And no poverty model. A poverty model would put it at around $11k, given those prices.

Even with the economy, might be a hard sell versus something like the Versa.

The rear lights look a bit too Mazda2-ish, which is probably why they changed it... shame. They're prettier.

The new G4 has something like that grille... and that's probably what they should have done, in the first place.

I think one problem with there image is that they seem to be Subarus competition rather than a manufacture of many models. All because of the rally scene. They still could bring back an eclipse to rival the BRZ as nissan are rumors to be resurrecting the 240z/silvia model. Coupe body, Evo x engine and looks could work. Its the trapezium front end thats the new face so they got to make it stick on all models.

Evo X has been compared unfairly to the GTR but at half the price, its still holding its own. They do one of the best AWD systems in the world, rival saloon to an Audi could be possible but a Hatchback to rival the HotHatch market in Europe could be anyone aim to go with the bargin RWD coupe thats become so popular after the GT86

Mitsubishi's future in the US
There's good news and bad news for Mitsubishi's future in the States and it all comes straight from the mouth of the Japanese company's President Osamu Masuko, who was recently interviewed by Autonews Asia Editor Hans Greimel.
For starters, Despite some rumors, Mitsubishi has no plans to withdraw from the U.S. market nor will it shut down its Illinois plant where 1,900 workers are employed manufacturing the Outlander Sport.

In fact, according to the automaker's three-year business plan named "New Stage 2016", it aims to boost global sales 29 percent to 1.43 million vehicles and North American deliveries by more than a third to 150,000 units annually.

Masuko, 64, told the news agency that the key ingredient to pushing up sales will be a "back to basics" strategy that will improve the brand's foothold in SUV and crossover segments, and at the same time, place more focus on electrified and hybrid drive-trains, while also making the best of an agreement it has with the Nissan-Renault Alliance on the development of sedans, small cars and EVs.

As part of that plan, Mitsubishi is readying a new Pajero SUV (also known as the Montero and Shogun), which is the brand's equivalent to the Nissan Patrol and Toyota Land Cruiser, that will be offered as a hybrid. The series was discontinued in the United States in 2006, but Masuko said the new model might return to the market.

"We would like to bring the next-generation version [of the Pajero] that we are developing, partly because it will have a plug-in hybrid version," said Masuko.

The bad news is that Mitsubishi's new strategy Doesn't Give Much Love To The Brand's Livelier Sporty Side.

Asked about what "happened to Mitsubishi's sporty cars such as the Eclipse or the Lancer Evolution", the 64-year old executive answered:

"When you look at the global ranking of top-selling Mitsubishi vehicles, at the top are pickups, then the Pajero and Pajero Sport and then the Outlander and Outlander Sport," explained Masuko.

"We want to further enhance our strong suits. That will better secure the future of our brand. This is a simple strategy of back to basics. We have produced sports cars in the past. But we have to prioritize. When you consider Mitsubishi's size and management resources, we can't do everything on our own."

While the Mitsubishi boss didn't outright kill the brand's sports car future, his words are exactly promising, now, are they…

CarScoops

I appreciate their back-to-basics attitude with the brand, it is the only way that they are going to appeal to a wide range of buyers. What they need to focus on first and foremost is packaging, particularly when it comes to value oriented customers who are looking for a well suited daily driver. I would think that Mitsubishi could make a name for themselves doing what Mazda is doing, building affordable, well-dressed sedans and crossovers that are legitimately fun to drive without trying too hard. That's largely what they did throughout their glory years in the '80s and '90s, and I see little reason why they wouldn't be able to return to it.

A well-done Gallant and Lancer should be top priority for the North American market. While a well-appointed Pajero could do well here, I don't think buyers are willing to step away from the strong-selling American and German models just yet.

They never should have removed the Montero from the American market. Certainly not after a redesign that improved it so dramatically (even as the one going off the market was still decent despite its age); and just after the market exploded in sales again. It also doesn't matter now if they eventually think about bringing it back. In the past half a decade, Mitsubishi has ended production of pretty much every bread and butter car they ever made that people went out of their way to buy rather than just buying the Honda equivalent. No one wants regular Lancers. No one wants Outlander Sports. That's almost their entire lineup right there.

What do they plan on selling to keep the lights on between now and 2016? Certainly not the Mirage, which is going to give people those Geo Metro vibes that every other manufacturer has spent the past decade trying to make people forget; and is imported from Thailand regardless. Does Mitsubishi sell enough Outlanders to feasibly carve a larger niche for themselves in the overall market?

Last edited:
What do they plan on selling to keep the lights on between now and 2016? Certainly not the Mirage, which is going to give people those Geo Metro vibes that every other manufacturer has spent the past decade trying to make people forget; and is imported from Thailand regardless.

Oh, THAT'S what I was feeling at the back of my head the other day. Saw a light colored one on a lot, didn't look white but it was twilight sooo.

What do they plan on selling to keep the lights on between now and 2016? Certainly not the Mirage, which is going to give people those Geo Metro vibes that every other manufacturer has spent the past decade trying to make people forget; and is imported from Thailand regardless. Does Mitsubishi sell enough Outlanders to feasibly carve a larger niche for themselves in the overall market?

My only assumption is that they plan to roll on the positive press of the Mirage and Outlander as long as they can before they introduce either a new Gallant or a new Juke-like crossover thingamajig. The safe route would be copying Nissan's portfolio, specifically the Rouge. No idea what they plan on doing.

There's always the Outlander plug-in hybrid. It's unlikely to be a huge seller but from general comments on the site I write for pretty much everyone is waiting for a plug-in crossover/SUV to come out because electric RAV4 aside nobody else offers one. A lot of current plug-in owners are previous regular hybrid owners - putting two and two together, the Outlander PHEV could do pretty well in places where Prius and the like are already popular.

The Outlander itself is a fairly nice car really. I don't know how well it's promoted there (or if you even have the new one yet?) but it does the job. I personally like the Outlander Sport too, but unfortunately you guys don't get the diesel, which turns it from a "meh" car into a pretty good one.

The Outlander itself is a fairly nice car really. I don't know how well it's promoted there (or if you even have the new one yet?) but it does the job. I personally like the Outlander Sport too, but unfortunately you guys don't get the diesel, which turns it from a "meh" car into a pretty good one.

We've got the new versions of both, and they've received a lot of positive press over the past year. But, I couldn't tell you the last time I'd seen a Mitsubishi advertisement that wasn't in a magazine, and even then, it's rarely outside of an automotive press type. Outside of the enthusiast folks, I doubt a regular person would know they even exist.

We've got the new versions of both, and they've received a lot of positive press over the past year. But, I couldn't tell you the last time I'd seen a Mitsubishi advertisement that wasn't in a magazine, and even then, it's rarely outside of an automotive press type. Outside of the enthusiast folks, I doubt a regular person would know they even exist.
They've had similar issues in the UK. I'm still not sure they advertise on TV over here. But launching the new Outlander and Mirage in the same year and blitzing newspaper and magazine advertising seems to have done okay for Mitsubishi UK, as their sales have risen faster than any other carmaker.

Of course they were low to start with so there are several ways of interpreting that, but it's interesting nevertheless.

Back