Mixed feelings about GT-Sport, anyone else?

Impressed with GTS?

• Total voters
xdemoncamberx
porschedrifter
Well... After spending two days on the demo, in 4k, I'm not really sure how to feel. After spending a few years on the Forza side then horizon 2 and now 3, I gotta say... Where's all the eye candy? The particle effects, atmosphere & track effects, etc. Tire smoke is minimal while drifting, and largely not there. Track surfaces look eh... Not sure if it's just me, but because of the lack of some of this stuff, the track feels much less "alive"

On the dirt side of things, the track surface looks very unrealistic and pretty boring. It seems there's a real lack of definition and depth in the gravel.

Jaggies!! Jaggies everywhere!!! Where's the AA support or at least FXAA!!??
Window reflections look nasty, jagged and just low quality.
Jaggie fake looking shadows as well which was criticized back in GT5! Really come on?

It really feels like GT6 with a 4k graphics refresh.... Cars feel super floaty especially when you get on comfort hards. Not really feeling the force feedback in controller.
At first cars were super twitchy but I've managed to figure out the best settings for less twitch in cars and can put in some great lap times.

The car models do look amazing when up close and personal. But directly comparing graphics and details as a whole, it's very lacking in terms of eye candy when compared to Forza. Forza Horizon 3 has to be one of the most beautiful games I've ever played on PC maxed out. I'm really not sure how I feel about this game... I'll wait to see how I feel once the full game hits, but so far, PD what happened? This is what you have for us in such a long time? Not even a full fledged GT7.

What's the deal with outside camera control, no side views at all? And god forbid we can do a seamless camera 360 around our cars, it's only 2017...

OH and the sound....... I was really optimistic when I heard they hired a former sound designer from Forza. I think it's really down to whoever at PD is making the call that these cars sound authentic, doesn't know what good sounds like. Because they keep saying sound is going to be improved (since before gt6) and then dropping the ball. It's marginally better. It's just missing the raw rasp and body, the chest beating wrath of an unmuffled race car.

I didn't come to bash GTS at all. I'm really trying to like it. But I can't help but feel the outdated-ness of it all compared to titles that have been out recently. Would like to hear what you guys have to say, I am trying to really like this game for what it is and will put in some serious time once the game hits for sure either way.

I think though, on the visual side of things, there's two different types of gamers and game developers, ones that think AA and vsync don't matter so it doesn't bother them, graphics quality is the least importance to them over a good story.

And then there's the other type of gamer or developer, which thinks graphics should be as polished as possible, screen tearing is ugly, jaggies are ugly and it should be as lifelike as possible. -Thats the type I am.

It's obvious that PD feels that polish and quality like AA should be the sacrifice to help frame rates and performance balance in gameplay.

But I mean come on... FXAA offers nearly no performance reduction in exchange for slightly blurred textures and that's only the start of AA, there's many other options.

All I have to say is, get the forza 7 demo, play the GTR demo with the rain. Look and listen in cockpit view. My god this is amazing, and only in 1080p. PC version is ever better maxed out.

I'll keep updating this as I play further.

Ok so, beta's over, played a bit more today as well.

Final impressions: I think it's going to end up being Gran Turismo with an identity crisis. I really started to enjoy how the cars handled and I began getting addicted to doing laps online with other people as well as offline. I do plan on buying it, but I'm going to wait for launch and reviews. I will probably wait a few weeks until the pre-owned lower prices discs start showing up on ebay. Visually, I hope they enhance the AA to clean up the jaggies at least, but all in all I'm happy to at least have some form of GT on playstation again.

Last edited:
I got your particle effects right here.

gts4iozrf.gif

I am very happy with the graphics and the way the cars drive, better than I expected. I am unhappy with the sound as it is worse than I expected and probably no better than GT6.

I am also disappointed with the game as it is orientated to fake cars (visions) and fake tracks and this gives it a very arcade like feel.

Online is as good as GT6 and works better than I had hoped.

The best news is nearly all my old GT6 pals have the game so once the final version is here we should be able to get together again.

Basically I give the game a pass, it will meet my needs but has not blown me away as I had hoped for. After all this is only the Beta but I am worried this will be as good as it gets.

I voted "Kinnda" for these reasons.

I am very happy with the graphics and the way the cars drive, better than I expected. I am unhappy with the sound as it is worse than I expected and probably no better than GT6.

I am also disappointed with the game as it is orientated to fake cars (visions) and fake tracks and this gives it a very arcade like feel.

Online is as good as GT6 and works better than I had hoped.

The best news is nearly all my old GT6 pals have the game so once the final version is here we should be able to get together again.

Basically I give the game a pass, it will meet my needs but has not blown me away as I had hoped for. After all this is only the Beta but I am worried this will be as good as it gets.

I voted "Kinnda" for these reasons.

I agree with most of this. I have a ton of GT6 friends as well. The graphics aren't bad, just feels a bit empty on the atmosphere and particle effects to me. But I also voted "kinda" as well for the same reasons.

I'm really hoping the demo is still an early build compared to final and maybe some of the graphical aspects were turned down/off for sake of demo gameplay and framerates. But def worried this is close to final and as good as it gets as well!

I skipped GT6 for various reasons, mostly life events. Been dying to get a GT on PS4.
I was ok with how things were going until tonight. Then it all changed.

I'm pre ordering thanks to the races I had in custom lobbies tonight. Brought me back to the gt5 days when races came down to the wire, bumps happpend but nobody freaked out. We did several oval shootouts, 5 laps with boost. I was smiling the whole time. Won some, lost some, got spun out and slammed into walls. All of it was an absolute blast.

In my mind. GT is back. My only wish is for more street cars of various ages and power. So the shuffle races can come back.

I skipped GT6 for various reasons, mostly life events. Been dying to get a GT on PS4.
I was ok with how things were going until tonight. Then it all changed.

I'm pre ordering thanks to the races I had in custom lobbies tonight. Brought me back to the gt5 days when races came down to the wire, bumps happpend but nobody freaked out. We did several oval shootouts, 5 laps with boost. I was smiling the whole time. Won some, lost some, got spun out and slammed into walls. All of it was an absolute blast.

In my mind. GT is back. My only wish is for more street cars of various ages and power. So the shuffle races can come back.

Me too man, it did make me feel a little bit nostalgic. I've been waiting for a GT title ever since I sold my PS3 just before gt6 came out. I've also had some fun in the online lobbies and sport mode. Really hoping retail version ends up feeling like a complete game rather than a glorified demo. The car selection worries me though. It's staggeringly low for a GT title.

What I don't understand is the lack of lobby options. I thought this game is about racing with friends?

Two points about that:
1. When I open a lobby and want to race with friends, you should be able to fill the grid with AI cars. Project Cars has it, F1 as well and probably others. Why you're forced to drive with randoms or just with your 2, 3... buddies?

2. Lobby Arcade mode where you have access to a variety of cars. It's fine that there is a mode where you can only use your garage cars. But it's often the case, that one of your buddies don't have as much playtime as others. So it would be nice to have a car pool, where you can choose cars from (like Arcade, just online).

Or are these features coming with the full game? Otherwise I'll probably pass.

Same here. The gameplay is it's strongest point in my opinion. I just love how the cars feel. Graphics are, I think, the best I've ever seen and scapes? incredible.

The car sounds are also great. Hard to believe such a huge improvement.

One thing I'm strongly disappointed about is the fact that there are no customization options. In the mileage exchange booth there's a note that wheels can only be used in Scapes mode, and if that's also valid in the full game, it's gonna be a huge let down in that department for me. I don't expect forza's level of customization, but I want to at least be able to give my GT86 a lowered suspension and some nice wheels.

The handling is wrong. No weight transfer between front and rear. This makes the game easy to drive while braking but accelerating a RWD car without traction control is completely unrealistic. There is no weight transfer to the rear while accelerating.

No it's not.

Why would there be front to rear weight transfer during thee moment you lose grip in the video above?

You've already completed the hard acceleration phase (when the weight would transfer), by the time you reach that part of the track the car is hardly accelerating, so the weight balance will be pretty much the same as the static balance.

There's a crest on the exit of that corner that makes the back light as you go over it. Hence the loss of traction. You need to fractionally feather the throttle if you take that line... or you could take a wider entry to reduce steering angle and lateral load... which would allow full throttle.

Felt too disconnected from driving/racing. It's constant oversteering and over cautious pedal & steering inputs even on low powered MX-5, but yet there's no sense of pushing the car over limit or taking risks. It's GT.
I actually changed back to controller and 3rd person which was no no in GT5/6, but i enjoyed it way more that way.
So, Kinda. There's amazing livery editor and photo mode, but now i only see myself quickly finishing challenges to gain cars for livery editor. Not impressed as a racing game.

Yeah, I've got very mixed feelings about GT Sport. There's a lot of things about it that I love, and quite a few that I loathe.

Graphics are great, the UI is excellent and leagues better than the competition, physics feel pretty good with a pad (haven't tried with a wheel yet), damage looks like a nice improvement, livery editor looks killer and the ability to import SVG files will be very handy indeed, and I think the eSports angle is smart...

Buuuuuttttt....

Very little content car and track-wise, which may or may not be rectified with DLC that may or may not be free... and among those cars, some still don't even have cockpits! The extremely skimpy single player functionality is tough to swallow. especially since this game feels like it's effectively taking the place of GT7. Not at all a fan of saves being locked to Polyphony's servers either.

I've got it preordered, but I'm not super hyped about it. :irked:

Yeah, I've got very mixed feelings about GT Sport. There's a lot of things about it that I love, and quite a few that I loathe.

Graphics are great, the UI is excellent and leagues better than the competition, physics feel pretty good with a pad (haven't tried with a wheel yet), damage looks like a nice improvement, livery editor looks killer and the ability to import SVG files will be very handy indeed, and I think the eSports angle is smart...

Buuuuuttttt....

Very little content car and track-wise, which may or may not be rectified with DLC that may or may not be free... and among those cars, some still don't even have cockpits! The extremely skimpy single player functionality is tough to swallow. especially since this game feels like it's effectively taking the place of GT7. Not at all a fan of saves being locked to Polyphony's servers either.

I've got it preordered, but I'm not super hyped about it. :irked:

May I please just say "ditto", with the exception being I have driven with a wheel.

It is a great experience, but just limited in its offerings, especially for single player.

EDIT: I voted "kinda". I was very impressed and this was the best of the three games from the start, but this is the game wherein I don't have a dedicated wheel (using the Drive Hub), but it really seems to be working well...I just have to be sure.

Last edited:
I voted Yes for overall perspective.

But some things nags me:

- No de la sarthe, laguna seca, spa, silverstone (eh this is major lol)
- You cannot put stickers on helmet/suit, only change colors
- No option to adjust fov
- Not sure if seating position saved per each car or not
- No rain, and snow...
- No dynamic time

But yeah lets make GTS great again, lol

Gran Turismo will always be Gran Turismo, I can get over how I feel about that, what pisses me off at the moment is the current level of wheel support. Seems anti-Fanatec.

Voted yes but do have reservations IE no career mode and i hear not to come either, Lots of good circuits gone or are they to be DLC ?

Yes, 100%. It is good to great at what is does good and bad to horrible at what it does badly. What annoys me the most at the moment is that it will only let you play that one mode offline which wasn't that challenging or fun to me (replays almost are the most enjoyable part of it). A.I was laughably slow at "pro" difficulty and of course crashed into me as if I wasn't present on the track-the total opposite of Multiplayer Sport mode. I don't know how big the chance is that they'll improve A.I after the release. Also maybe I missed it but you can't do a qualifying in Arcade mode and start in the middle of the grid by default. And If campaign is locked behind the online wall for no solid reason at all I think I'm officially done with this title. This isn't World of Warcraft or Destiny it is a driving simulator so if I happen to have my PS4 but no internet connection for ANY reason (which could be many) then I want every mode thats been designed with Single player in mind to be playable.

Last edited:
Honestly? I remember having so much fun for the last time by GT3. The game is not perfect mind you but its leaps and bounds before competition.

I will say that I will miss the campaign mode of getting a crappy 80s Japanese car and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on it. But the last few days, I don't think I've ever had as much fun racing in my life. I've got a Sim racing setup and my heart is still beating from last night :-)

It would be nice if they had a small team dedicated to adding in a DLC campaign mode or having another game come out next year that focuses on that, but I really liked what they have put together with this new game.

The sound is so much better than before. My headset ran out of batteries last night and I had to use my surround sound, I swear I was going a second or two slower on Tokyo because of it :-)

my biggest complaint is if you get bumped down to the C class because of a gr1 race you have to deal with all the idiots that want to run into you. But in all the B and up driving rating races I've done have been overall very sportsmanlike.... I almost got into the top 10 times for the 500 race that only has 3 left turns!!! :-)

Loving it been on since launch just recently unlocked the ring.Awesome narrow fast and bumpy as hell

Last edited:
I will say that I will miss the campaign mode of getting a crappy 80s Japanese car and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on it. But the last few days, I don't think I've ever had as much fun racing in my life. I've got a Sim racing setup and my heart is still beating from last night :-)

It would be nice if they had a small team dedicated to adding in a DLC campaign mode or having another game come out next year that focuses on that, but I really liked what they have put together with this new game.

The sound is so much better than before. My headset ran out of batteries last night and I had to use my surround sound, I swear I was going a second or two slower on Tokyo because of it :-)

my biggest complaint is if you get bumped down to the C class because of a gr1 race you have to deal with all the idiots that want to run into you. But in all the B and up driving rating races I've done have been overall very sportsmanlike.... I almost got into the top 10 times for the 500 race that only has 3 left turns!!! :-)

Kinda ditto.

The car models do look amazing when up close and personal. But directly comparing graphics and details as a whole, it's very lacking in terms of eye candy when compared to Forza. Forza Horizon 3 has to be one of the most beautiful games I've ever played on PC maxed out.

I didn't come to bash GTS at all.

And then there's the other type of gamer or developer, which thinks graphics should be as polished as possible, screen tearing is ugly, jaggies are ugly and it should be as lifelike as possible. -Thats the type I am.

Are you comparing your maxxed out Forza effects while being able to maintain 30-60fps of playabilty at the same time on a new out of the box 300.00 dollar total factory built computer system that also includes the keyboard and mouse to operate the system? Because that are what you are doing with GTS on a PS4.
There is no doubt that a computer system can be built with hardware that allows much greater performance and effects than a console but it is not uncommon either for the computer to contain multiple video cards with each card by itself costing more than an entire console gaming system.

Console gaming systems do limit what a gaming company can include due to constraints of the hardware but when faced with the same budgets a computer system is no different.

Only fair to compare apples to apples.

Are you comparing your maxxed out Forza effects while being able to maintain 30-60fps of playabilty at the same time on a new out of the box 300.00 dollar total factory built computer system that also includes the keyboard and mouse to operate the system? Because that are what you are doing with GTS on a PS4.
There is no doubt that a computer system can be built with hardware that allows much greater performance and effects than a console but it is not uncommon either for the computer to contain multiple video cards with each card by itself costing more than an entire console gaming system.

Console gaming systems do limit what a gaming company can include due to constraints of the hardware but when faced with the same budgets a computer system is no different.

Only fair to compare apples to apples.

Well, I was comparing it to a maxed out Forza Horizon 3 on a 1080p display PC yes, but also comparing it to Forza 7 on xbox one as well which looks much better. If you played the Forza 7 demo, with the GTR in the rain, good lord it's beautiful. Wipers vibrate, wires vibrate, air ducting moves around in the cockpit. It's hands down amazing.
I have PS4 Pro in 4k so, I think it's fair enough :)

Latest Posts

Back