[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 Combined Disc

• Thread starter SilentPL
  • 30 comments
Poland
Poland
Gran Turismo 2, other than being one of the more fondly remembered installments of the franchise, has one unique aspect not seen in any other Gran Turismo to date – it’s split between two discs. This modification combines both discs for an ultimate and complete version of Gran Turismo 2.

arcade-mode.jpg
gt-mode.jpg

Combined Disc is compatible with all game versions except JP 1.0. Other mods should work fine too, but they must be applied on discs before combining them.

The full produced image is too big to burn on a CD, but it still can be used on a real console via XStation. However, if you intend to burn this modification on a CD, it is possible to opt out of merging movies during setup and this way the generated image is within reasonable sizes. The downside is that you lose the intro FMV, credits and track previews in Arcade Mode.

DOWNLOAD LINK
4K CD LABEL

Source code

Last edited:
It took a while to test but I did.
I had to change to W$10 and soon after I went back to W$7

I know it's a lot to ask, but could you make an effort to get it working with Python 3.8.x ?

Oh! This is amazing, it's modders like you who let us keep dreaming '-'

I know it's a lot to ask, but could you make an effort to get it working with Python 3.8.x ?
With Python scripts being just text, you could try doing that yourself. I am not interested in supporting older Python versions, especially since 3.10 introduces a feature I find useful.

New version of Gran Turismo 2 Combined Disc is now out!
  • Added native filepicker windows. This makes the installation easier.
  • Fixed an issue with the US (NTSC-U) version of Gran Turismo 2 Plus beta 6 and 6.1 where selecting Peugeot 206 Rally Car in the Arcade Mode would freeze the game. If you are using this version, re-combine GT2 Plus discs with an updated script.
  • Fixed an issue with inputting an absolute output path in text mode.
  • Lowered minimum Python requirements to 3.8.0. This allows the script to run on Windows 7.
The download link stays the same:

Last edited:
Haha, so you kill me from the heart '-'

I love all of this so much, thank you man.

@Edit
I had problems with the save game, there were cars that didn't even move, but that was solved with a new save game.
I don't remember reading about it. Perhaps leaving a note on this would be helpful.

Last edited:
@Edit
I had problems with the save game, there were cars that didn't even move, but that was solved with a new save game.
I don't remember reading about it. Perhaps leaving a note on this would be helpful.
What do you mean? Sounds like you used your stock GT2 saves with GT2+.

What cars are affected? Are you using any cheats? Can you provide a memcard with that issue?
I was stupid, I was supposed to make a video.
I ended up making a new save game.
I tested it first with Cultus, then with Spoon S2000.

Last edited:
Either way, it's impossible to be a combined disc issue because GT2+ data doesn't differ between the arcade and simulation discs. You probably mixed up your versions somehow, e.g. light and complete, or different GT2+ versions.

Either way, it's impossible to be a combined disc issue because GT2+ data doesn't differ between the arcade and simulation discs. You probably mixed up your versions somehow, e.g. light and complete, or different GT2+ versions.
Haha, probably. Too bad I can't prove it anymore.
I shouldn't worry you about that.
But maybe recommending to use a new save game or not use the base game save game in GT2+ or vice versa would be a little helpful.

But still thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Hello. I tried to glue the Japanese version of the game with the GT2 + Complete mod. The procedure went without error. The file size has become 948 MB. But the game does not have an arcade disc and no introductory video.
I have another question. Is it possible to add a choice of not only the name of the generated file, but also the name of the header?

Hello. I tried to glue the Japanese version of the game with the GT2 + Complete mod. The procedure went without error. The file size has become 948 MB. But the game does not have an arcade disc and no introductory video.
I am guessing that you are loading from a savestate that still references the old file.

Is it possible to add a choice of not only the name of the generated file, but also the name of the header?
No, those are up to the emulator.

Are you actually loading the combined game and not one of your other non-combined copies? Cause that's what it sounds like

Is it possible to add a Bonus CD in the future as well?
And also turn off 120 seconds in the demo ride. Or is it as a separate mod. As well as support for GT 2 Plus Complete. Oh dreams.

Last edited:
Is it possible to add a Bonus CD in the future as well?
And also turn off 120 seconds in the demo ride. Or is it as a separate mod. As well as support for GT 2 Plus Complete. Oh dreams.
GT2+ is already compatible. Any retail build, modified or not, with the exception of JP v1.0, can be used with this script.

I meant save inside the Bonus CD.
That bonus disc is a completely different program that just copies preset save data to your memory card, it's not something you can "merge" with the game in any way. Closest thing would be writing a custom loader that would enable use of that executable on the same disc as the game, but I'm sure that'd be outside the scope of this project.

That bonus disc is a completely different program that just copies preset save data to your memory card, it's not something you can "merge" with the game in any way. Closest thing would be writing a custom loader that would enable use of that executable on the same disc as the game, but I'm sure that'd be outside the scope of this project.
No, it's not out of bounds. It's also part of the game. And this analogs is inside the next GT's.
The only problem is the bonus save file. More precisely, for a regular game this is not a problem, only for gt plus.

No, it's not out of bounds. It's also part of the game. And this analogs is inside the next GT's.
The only problem is the bonus save file. More precisely, for a regular game this is not a problem, only for gt plus.
It's literally a third-party application that happens to load GT2 save data to your memory card:

The above was not developed by Polyphony Digital, nor by any of its personnel as far as one can tell. You can't just "load" it by messing with the game's data, which basically means it's not part of the original game.

You know how there are demo discs where you can load demos for various games? You'd need a similar loader in order to ship both the actual game and this "bonus disc." It's not something you can just patch with a script and enable access in-game, because it doesn't exist on the original game disc.

Last edited:
It's literally a third-party application that happens to load GT2 save data to your memory card: ... The above was not developed by Polyphony Digital, nor by any of its personnel as far as one can tell.

Correct - it's a standard Sony application that was used on some PAL region magazine demo discs, which is simply given a savegame and a configuration file that lists the description of the save to be displayed in its menu. It's got nothing to do with GT2, other than that (presumably) the French distributor pressed a demo disc with a single GT2 save on it and bundled it with copies of the game that they sold.

It's also almost entirely useless - the whole disc is only in French, the save is set to French language, and if someone was going to all of the effort of burning a combined GT2 to a disc they might as well just put some memory card tools on another disc and copy the save over themselves without needing the loader menu. The save is also broken in a couple of ways, so it's probably better to just use a different save downloaded from the internet.

Correct - it's a standard Sony application that was used on some PAL region magazine demo discs, which is simply given a savegame and a configuration file that lists the description of the save to be displayed in its menu. It's got nothing to do with GT2, other than that (presumably) the French distributor pressed a demo disc with a single GT2 save on it and bundled it with copies of the game that they sold.

It's also almost entirely useless - the whole disc is only in French, the save is set to French language, and if someone was going to all of the effort of burning a combined GT2 to a disc they might as well just put some memory card tools on another disc and copy the save over themselves without needing the loader menu. The save is also broken in a couple of ways, so it's probably better to just use a different save downloaded from the internet.
Where do you see the pal region here? Or French?

There is also a video of the making of the game and an early demo. This is without mentioning the save. And it's quite curious

Attachments

• gt2usbd.png
    gt2usbd.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Where do you see the pal region here? Or French?

I mean, literally read the post that I was quoting.

If you didn't mean the Bonus CD, which is that French disc, and instead mean the demo disc that came with the soundtrack, then you're not even talking about the final retail game or anything that shipped with it. The same applies though - it's got nothing to do with the final game, so why try to merge it?

I mean, literally read the post that I was quoting.

If you didn't mean the Bonus CD, which is that French disc, and instead mean the demo disc that came with the soundtrack, then you're not even talking about the final retail game or anything that shipped with it. The same applies though - it's got nothing to do with the final game, so why try to merge it?
For example, to watch videos. And if you want to get a save that allows you not to start completely from scratch (Similar to GT 6 where you could go to a certain place and get bonuses).
The driving mode from the demo is the least interesting in this case.

Last edited:
Back