Modchip

I would go for the external, for fear of damaging my PS2 with an internal, and having to buy a new one, but i heard that the external burns out fast....so its a toss up :)

You still have to solder with the external.

Everyone needs soldering skills:) so you might as well get the internal, plus its cheaper:)

The USBMOD is the worlds best external PS2 ModChip. It slots nicely into the PS2 USB slot. A Game Shark 2 (US Version) or Action Replay 2 (PAL Version) is required to play your PS2 backups. PSX backups play without any need for either of these. Installation is very easy, simply plug in the USBMOD in the USB slot and connect the 1 wire jumper. Printed diagrams, wire and solder are included. Compatible with all PS2 Consoles

Originally posted by MistaX
External is USB, i dont thing sodering is needed.....

One Soldering point. No matter what there will always be soldering involved because of the reset/eject switches. They need to be bypassed because hitting them causes the country code (unwriteable by any CDrom Technology, and it's patented so don't expect it any time soon) to be flushed from the buffer. But that's way better than the almost 20 needed at one point.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I AM the mod chip. BOW BEFORE MY GREATNESS.

Geez ... I'm in a weird mood tonight.

~LoudMusic

Really? What do you do, lick you fingers and touch the bypass points? :D :lol:

Originally posted by MistaX
I would go for the external, for fear of damaging my PS2 with an internal, and having to buy a new one, but i heard that the external burns out fast....so its a toss up :)

I dont really have to worry about my PS2. If something happens to it, I just take it back to the store and get a replacement no questions asked. :D

I've got the external just to play my PS1 'backups', it works for me. One internal jumper (I gotz tha MAD soldering skillz yo, I'm an electronic engineering tech), but you still hafta break the warranty seal. And no worries about it burning up, once the game's loaded, you can just turn it off or remove it from the USB port.

I had a bad experience with a $400 Graphics card once.... Needless to say, my mod days are over... :D

Good luck to all who have the tickle-berries to do this! ;)

any chance of anyone knowing where I can get a neo 4 chip because I want one to play my pirate american copy of metal gear solid 2 heh though I already have the game still also to play my pirate psx games (mainly xenogears) on my ps2

Viper,

What type of games are you gonna play? Cause PAL game require you to have a 50 cycle TV to play them. But i'm sure you knew that:)

Originally posted by space
Viper,

What type of games are you gonna play? Cause PAL game require you to have a 50 cycle TV to play them. But i'm sure you knew that:)

No i didnt know that. Hmmm......the one game i really want to get is GTC. Maybe a couple other but im not sure what at the moment.

Originally posted by viper_maniac

No i didnt know that. Hmmm......the one game i really want to get is GTC. Maybe a couple other but im not sure what at the moment.

Just as long as its not PAL. If you are importing the Japanese GTC, then you don't need to worry, their TV signal is almos the same as ours:)

Can you not break the seal? The fan on the back of my PS2 seems to be blocked by the wire mesh and the plastic bars, and get's hot pretty fast, I took the bay cover off for better air flow. I've had my PS2 for over a year, I thought the warrenty was only for a year, is it? If so then I might take my PS2 apart and get a mod chip. are there any snap in ones so thet I can play GTC?

I might be able to get GTC after all...

I just went to the site. When they say PS2 backups, that means imports doesn't it? And the one you solder in, is it hard to do? I don't know about the external one, is it better?

If you still have your instruction manual Mazkid, it will have the warrenty in it.

All mod chip require some soldering. no way of getting around it.

Modchips will play any game (Japanese, PAL, US, copies, etc)

Its the type of power that is used in europe. Instead of the 60 cycles that we have here, their's only runs at 50.

THis is what happens...

When you take a alram clock from the US (which is set on 60 cycles) and plug it in in the UK, time will actually go faster because there are less cycles

think of it as rpms of voltage I guess.

And I'll have to check the manuel, I thought it was only 1 year. I wonder if I just pull the warrenty tape off without ripping it if they'll notice... :)

Originally posted by MazKid
I wonder if I just pull the warrenty tape off without ripping it if they'll notice... :)

They'll notice. It's that tamper-proof tape that leaves bits stuck, and won't restick. You'd be better off slitting it with a knife like I did. Also, never run with a knife... :D

Back