Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
Getting the hang of this texture editing :sly:

PSOGL001.jpg

And an other overhaul! This time of the 3 "major" Impreza models. WRC97, WRC99 and 22B (no RM yet). There's over 100 Impreza bodies i'll have to update so i'll take it easy X.X

Anyways. 3 full overhauls. Model edits on all 3, new faces, new UVs, new wheels...
The WRC97 is a redux of my very first livery ^^ And it's a whole lot better imo. It also required the most work out of all 3. Including some trickery to get SUBARU logos on the rear and side windows without seeing weird clipping issues, and to have working reflections without knowing how normals work. Nailed it~

All 3 cars have brand new headlights that i scavenged from 22B and WRC photos, and tail lights made by hand. WRC97 uses pre-facelift tails, as seen in early 1997. Subsequent versions of the car used the clear ones, and some used the UKDM Impreza as well (orange facelifted design). Also some new logos. 22B badge at the back (92x45px), 22B's STI badge on the sides (48x26) and Pink/Blue Subaru badges up front (52x26 for the 22B and WRC99, 32x16 for the WRC97 due to space constraints) Way overkill, but they vastly improve upon the 6-8 pixels they were before haha.

Anyways, here are the files as usual.

Spoilered here are comparison images (keep in mind that GIFs are limited to 256 colors, and so detail is altered, especially similar colors merging, hence why i put PNGs as well :P)

And before anybody asks: why no numbers? For uniformity purposes. I couldn't put it on the WRC99, so i didn't put it on the WRC97. This also allowed for better gradients so it's all beneficial.

New Lights
szt2qfz4nguvubm6g.jpg

New 22B
r16qbaj7ge8ybfw6g.jpg

New WRC97
byi7sw3kcr4szyk6g.jpg

OLD WRC97 (for reference)
yo6w2hlaxm908zs6g.jpg

New WRC99 (Hood and trunk decals are positioned underneath the body, hence why they're invisible, watch the video!)
7ntw3zgmhkjlsa16g.jpg

22B comparison GIF
7yeuuvnr32u8ink6g.jpg

WRC97 comparison GIF with Rally Edition
7p1gllb64x3z81x6g.jpg

WRC97 full comparison
mulvek7or9plbdb6g.jpg

WRC99 comparison GIF (Hood and trunk decals are positioned underneath the body, hence why they're invisible, watch the video!)
vx4psy3aezpnfse6g.jpg

Optional comparison between new 22B and WRC99 (they're not perfectly identical!)
h7bbfail01am8be6g.jpg

And the usual presentation video~

I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but is it possible to decrease the engine capacity by hex editing? Or the only solution is to make a hybrid? For example, making the 1.7L Puma a 1.6L.

Engine capacity is a number, it has no physical impact. This Puma trim was advertised as a 1.7l too so what would be the point in changing it?

Engine capacity is a number, it has no physical impact. This Puma trim was advertised as a 1.7l too so what would be the point in changing it?
I wanted to make the Puma have the 1.6, then swap it in the Focus. Basically, I wanted a smaller displacement for the Focus.

Peugeot 306 S16 overhaul~

The 306 is one of the earliest models made for GT2, with its shape mostly completed as far back as the very first playable demos of the game. However... it's pretty awful. With wrong proportions, mismatched day and night headlights, cut and inaccurate colors... it eve has the phase I's shading on the front bumper, despite being a phase II !

So i've done it again. I overhauled it. I've added polygons to the front and rear bumper to get rid of that ugly pointy shape. I've redone a lot of the texture, and obviously the colors.

12 colors were available on the 306 S16 between 1998's phase II debut, and the end of 1999.

Some color were only available on the Confort trim level, while some were only on the Premium trim level. Since PD themselves mixed and matches C and P colors, i decided to put them all in.

C: Confort, P: Premium, E: Early, L: Late
Blanc Banquise/Bianca White (ALL)
Bleu Impérial/Dragoon Blue* (All C, E99P)
Noir Onyx/Black (ALL)
Rouge Vallelunga/Cherry Red* (ALL)
Bleu Pharaon*/Nile Blue (ALL PREMIUM)
Bleu Sigma/Sigma Blue (98P,E99P)
Gris Aster/Cosmos Grey* (ALL PREMIUM)
Gris Quartz/Platinum Silver (98P, E99P)
Jaune Vermeer/Blaze Yellow (98P, E99P)
Rouge Lucifer/Diablo Red (ALL PREMIUM)
Bleu de Chine/China Blue (L99P)
Gris Iceland/Moon Stone (L99P)
*presumed color name used in EU/UK, makes it confusing.

Now since y'all won't have the required edits to the game to make all of them work as normal, here are the color values for those gameshark color codes:
Blanc Banquise: 31
Gris Quartz: 34
Gris Aster: 35
Noir Onyx: 36
Rouge Vallelunga: 62
Rouge Lucifer: 63
Jaune Vermeer: 68
Gris Iceland: 6F
Bleu Sigma: 70
Bleu de Chine: 71
Bleu Impérial: 72
Bleu Pharaon: 74

FILES ARE HERE

(download link to highres)
8geo6owv1ljvcpa6g.jpg

GIFS:
4orizonesxacqxf6g.jpg

z3g1itpw89dkfqa6g.jpg

54ng54jrzah1op76g.jpg

And the video:

Last edited:
Very nice piece of work! I've always hated how especially the rear looked on this car. It always felt out of ratio or something.

@CaravanSS76 that's the reason why i included the color ID in the video and the post above. You can't buy colors that aren't available in the selection without editing the game's files. So you'll have to use a color modifier and give it the values i wrtoe above.

@karelpipa yup, the whole rear was too big and round. If you look at the side profile, you'll see that PD made the rear slant upwards, while it was slightly going downwards towards the back irl. Took a lot of trial and error to fix, especially because the rear of the roof isn't very practical to work with on this model.

Haven't touched it yet. I want to improve it, but it's just as much work, if not more than for the road car. There's a lot to fix on it. Plus, despite what i did to the bumpers on the road model, i still can't get proper reflections on cars (the 306 S16 happened to not reflect much at all on its bumpers so it looks fine) so if the Maxi has visible reflections, my edits will be limited to reshaping rather than really improving (i at least would like to edit the front bumper in order to have the front lip design of the car, kind of like i did a while ago with the model

Quick post to say i've updated this post here with an update to the Viper RT10 Racing Modification restoration.
The yellow color didn't have its night lights turned ON on the low poly model, and i've fixed an issue with the roof of the car that was caused by the simplification of the model (all 4 models of the Viper GTS and RT10 were simplified when going from GT1 to 2)

Screenshot to show what i mean: (SPOILERED BECAUSE INVALIDATED)
adx3jkaexi2b53f6g.jpg

EDIT: reverted the roof edits, as they... were wrong in the car viewer, but fine in-game, and so my changes inverted that: fine in the viewer, but wrong in-game lol. Yellow color's night fix is still a thing.

EDIT2: fixed the flipped inner blades of the spoiler. An issue i keep forgetting about, and that probably noone ever realised was there lol

unknown.png

Last edited:
It's both research and modding, but if you've played GT2, bought the Traction Control System (TCS) upgrade, and became frustrated that you spent 50 000cr for nothing because it barely did anything... well i've got you covered! Turns out that PD had it working in GT2 already, but they made it way too insensitive. The sensitivity value they gave it is 04. But when I set it to 32.... well, watch this video~

The level bar in the settings goes from 1 to 51. Lower values make the TCS less prone to activate during turning, while high values will make it active all the time.
HOWEVER, when you buy the part, the default value is 2. And guess what? At level 2, the TCS is COMPLETELY INACTIVE. So if, like me when i was little, you bough the 50 000cr part, and never touched it because you didn't know how to setup a car, well then you got properly scammed haha.

On a other note, I also tinkered with the ASC (Active Stability Control, later known as ASM - A.S. Management -, in GT3 and 4) and made this video that shows the effects (maxxed out, not like how it is in the normal game).
This one's also slightly broken. The settings bar for it goes from 1 to 101. However when testing i found that level 32 has the highest effect. And that 1 and 101 had the same effect, just about. so a bar of 1-32 would've been enough.
*sigh* Polyphony... smh

Last edited:
Interesting. I never thought they did anything even when maxxed out. But that's probably because when I was a kid I just slapped Racing Softs on everything :lol:

One thing I've always wanted to know, does the Simulation Tyre have any special properties compared to the others? Or is it just a simple grip reduction?

All compounds are hardcoded to work in a specific way. All cars use those compounds and grip levels vary because all cars get their own grip modifiers, plus wheel sizes are taken into account (width, circumference and such) to further differentiate cars. Tire parts have individual grip loss values, but all are unused as far as i'm aware.
If you watch the video, (i assume you're talking about the ASC), i say that the strongest effect is at level 32, while 101 is equivalent to level 1, so it barely does anything. TCS is broken in that level 2 turns it completely off. Not counting the sensitivity issue.

A while back, I made some fixes to some DC2 Integra textures in this game, mainly the USDM Acura ones so that their front/rear bumpers are more facelift-accurate (by default, the pre-98 models have '98 front/rear for the road car and vice versa for the RM) as well as proper, trim-appropriate rims taken from their Japanese counterparts. Changelog:
  • h2ain ('98 USDM GSR), hiasn ('95 USDM GSR): Fixed one pixel gap on LOD0 sides
  • Proper bumper parts for '98 USDM road models (h2ain, hairn)
  • Proper Type-R logo windshields and signs on hiarr (97 USDM Type-R), hairr (98 USDM Type-R), and h2irr (98 JDM Type-R)
  • h2ign ('98 JDM SiR-G): Fixed gray dot on wheel sides
  • hinsn: Removed Type-R emblem on front on hood area
  • Proper wheels from USDM Integras, matched to their trim (GS-R uses SiR-G wheels since they're the closest, Type-R uses JDM Type-R wheels). The default wheels are for unused lower trim ones (LS/GS).
  • Disabled spoiler brake lights on USDM Type-Rs

Last edited:
Only modifications to existing models. Custom models are within reach but due to a lack of interest by people other than me, and my inability to understand the data pertaining to car reflections (pretty much the last bit of unknown before we can make a step towards custom models) it's currently completely on hold.

The Concept Car LM and the Silvia LM are technically custom since at the time there was no way of getting the GT1 models from it, but no i haven't made nay other ones. Only the green Syms Impreza is technically doable for GT2 saly, but i haven't done any work on that.

The Concept Car LM and the Silvia LM are technically custom since at the time there was no way of getting the GT1 models from it, but no i haven't made nay other ones. Only the green Syms Impreza is technically doable for GT2 saly, but i haven't done any work on that.

I don't think I've come across a green Impreza in GT1 before. Do you have a pic?

Well there's the green color on one of the WRX models' race mod, but that's not what i was talking about. A few years ago i made 2 custom Impreza edits based on 2 real cars entered in JTCC by Syms. One of them (1994) should be doable with some work, while the 1996 would require completely new models.

Back