Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 701 comments
The Silvia LM's body is not present in any available GT2 demos, that's why it's still missing from GT2+ and other mods. It should be portable as soon as the CDO format is proven to be fully understood and research is done to document the equivalent format used by GT1.

As for other "interesting and different" things, not much in the retail versions apart from the Japan-exclusive content (NSX-R GT1 Turbo instead of LM GT2, different TVR Griffith racing modifications). The demos do have some juicy stuff people have been waiting to port over though.
Some RMs are also different between games, such as the '95 Supra having the SARD Le Mans/JGTC livery (vs the generic Supra livery in GT2) as well as the T200 Celica SS-II.

I'm not sure how the car sounds are formatted in GT2 but I could record some samples of the CLK-GTR from PGR4 or Forza Motorsport 3/4 if needed.

The Jaguar XJR15 is a good sound, when editing the sound file and increasing certain values you can get the distinct AMG V12 hum that the CLK-GTR has. If we can upload MP3 files I can upload the files to show what I mean if needed. I'm pretty good with audio editing so if possible i'd like to help.

You know what mod I'd like to see? A dewinged Tommykaira ZZII with specs adjusted to match the McLaren F1, so we can finally do the game cover justice ;)

You know what mod I'd like to see? A dewinged Tommykaira ZZII with specs adjusted to match the McLaren F1, so we can finally do the game cover justice ;)
There's this code, but not only that isn't permanent (it writes to RAM, not CDO), for some reason the rear wing always end up borked on my end:
upload_2021-3-5_18-11-31.png

Well, as I've said, I'm sure we will model it properly and add to the game once we have the right tools :)
I'd personally like to make both road version and longtail race car!

This has nothing to do with modding persay, except it's partially how I envision Gran Turismo 2 when modding gets far enough. Except the graphics will still be of course in the 90s.
Gran Turismo 2 Menu Remake - Special Dealership.png

If I'm honest, a lot of the modelling ideas I have in my head are just making models for all of the cars that never made it past the demos. Everything from string data like the SOK Mclaren F1 GTR to full bodies that weren't completed like the e36 BMW 3-Series and Audi A4 Avant.

EDIT: I did more mock-ups for fun.

If the Rain-X Diablo was in GT2.
EwXmy3PXMAUP5K9

If PD finished the e36 including its racing mods.
EwXmy3SXMAIwFDu

Last edited:
idk if the mapping is 100% right, but I tried to make a small template to make CDP for custom models
upload_2021-3-16_20-32-0.png

Included a ZIP with PSD template also

Attachments

• cdp_template.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 30
The only requirement is the wheel at the top left corner, the rest is up to you and what you need.
Lods can share textures and often do, but it's good to keep the details as harmonious as possible

Last edited:
Newbie question, I'm interested in doing some minor mods myself, maybe adding some new car textures to start. Is anyone aware of a guide or tutorial how to do that? I know how to explode the GT2 VOL and I can open the car models and textures in GT2 Car Viewer and then export them and open the textures in phtoshop but I'm not sure from there how to repack the car so I can import it back into the game.

Also if I add a new texture, for example for vs12r I understand I need to do the day and night textures but I'm guessing the whole process is a lot more complicated than I anticipated.

Last edited:
When did this car modding thing come around? I'm interested in seeing how the cut cars would've looked.

@Dave A Well for a start, GT2carviewer exports incorrect textures. The right way to edit textures is through a tool pez2k developed which properly exports the bitmap data and the palettes to be loaded into and edited in paint shop pro (the palettes are psp formatted). Personally i use psp7, as it has full support for 4bit colored images.
It's best to join the modding discord group if you'd like to get into it, and i'll try to guide you whenever i can.
I made an in-depth text tutorial a *while* ago, but it's fairly outdated in some aspects.
Haven't had the free time to make a video tut sadly so for now it's in the backlog :/

As for the model modding, it's only been a month or so, since commongear appeared out of nowhere with his understanding of the last bastion of resistance: normals. His tooling allows for custom models, but it's very wip, with missing features and unsupported data for now. And it's pretty incompatible with most of the previous tooling, for now at least.

After a while, finally made this small MOD for Gran Turismo 2. Here I modded one of my absolute favourite cars of all times, the Subaru Impreza 22B STi. The changes are small. I just added colors. These colors are a straight port of the Subaru Impreza WRX STi Version VI TypeR colors, plus I added a new racing modification.
All tooling and knowledge by pez2k

Video:

Well... Made an another quick MOD for Gran Turismo 2. This time I've given again the glory to the Nismo GT-R LM, that was "downgraded" to a Racing Modification for the Road Goin Version, instead to be again own its car before to disappear definitely. Where possible I used racing Nissan car parts, apart for engine and weight, that are straight from Gran Turismo 1. A big thanks to @submaniac93 that given the permission for use the rims from his Gran Turismo 1 Racing Modification model from Gran Turismo 2 Plus
All tooling and knowledge by pez2k

Video:

Messing around with GT2DataSplitter made by pez2k... I just figured that the game can handle even a 4th Racing Modification option!
If you want a 5th will not work unfortunately. As test car I used a Golf, that all models have the same three RM schemes with different rims, and the only cars to have three

Video:

Messing around with GT2DataSplitter made by pez2k... I just figured that the game can handle even a 4th Racing Modification option!
If you want a 5th will not work unfortunately. As test car I used a Golf, that all models have the same three RM schemes with different rims, and the only cars to have three

Video:

Interesting. I wonder why the game even supports that many RM bodies when the Golf is the only car that can even accept three to begin with. I presume the extra one added there is the Golf Rally Car body?

Interesting. I wonder why the game even supports that many RM bodies when the Golf is the only car that can even accept three to begin with. I presume the extra one added there is the Golf Rally Car body?
Yes, is the Rally Car body, I wrote it in description
Wow, I didn't think GT2 could support than many RMs. I kinda want to try it for myself.
Four is the mx apparently. From a 5th entry will not work

With GT2 having the ability to support four racing mods per car, I just wonder what opportunities this would open up for having racing mods as replicas of actual cars.

As many as you would like until you hit the very very nearby body limit sadly.
Those Golfs are such a waste of space, since the 4 base cars all share the same bodies and liveries instead of each having one, and then on top of that you have the Rally Car which is just a duplicate.... smh

As many as you would like until you hit the very very nearby body limit sadly.
Those Golfs are such a waste of space, since the 4 base cars all share the same bodies and liveries instead of each having one, and then on top of that you have the Rally Car which is just a duplicate.... smh
Agreed

Back