Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

Next Round 2 of 5 Sonoma Raceway GP 9th April

Below - The McLaren M1B owned by Chris Goodwin, Chief Test Driver for McLaren Automotive - surely this car could easily be added to the game @IanBell

In 1966 the competition was mainly between the McLaren M1B and Lola T70 with a few of the earlier McLaren M1A's (the natural competitor for the Lotus 40 as both were built to an earlier ruleset which required lights and a spare wheel).

MPAWO4QHC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWOUZHC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWOW6HC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWOC-HC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWOQHIC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWO8LIC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
MPAWOTRIC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
Project CARS 2_20180404135058.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180404135511.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180404135759.jpg
MPAWOD4JC-DAAAYWE_.jpeg
Project CARS 2_20180404142025.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180404142421.jpg

I've just tried the Lotus 40 around Sonoma and... It's quite good fun. Not too bad to control at all.

It's a bit bouncy though! I might need some travel sickness pills.:ill:

A question someone might know the answer too. When running in a no tuning race (default) what setup does it use? The loose, the stable or some other settings that are "default"? I've thought that it might be the last one you've used prior to entering the lobby but that might not be the case. Anyone know?

I've just tried the Lotus 40 around Sonoma and... It's quite good fun. Not too bad to control at all.

It's a bit bouncy though! I might need some travel sickness pills.:ill:

A question someone might know the answer too. When running in a no tuning race (default) what setup does it use? The loose, the stable or some other settings that are "default"? I've thought that it might be the last one you've used prior to entering the lobby but that might not be the case. Anyone know?
Excellent question! Every car I have jumped into has shown the loose setup as default...don't know if that if official or true on every car. Next time I am on ps4, I will open a room with no restrictions and see what the 40 defaults to...of course any of you could do that, like if online now:idea:.

I've compared the feeling of non tuned cars vs basic setups, and it feels more like the stable setup is being used
Interesting. I've thought that maybe it's the stable settings in use since it does feel more that way. It's difficult to know really.
If that is the case everyone who has been using the loose setup should at least do a few laps using the stable setup just to know how it feels with these settings.

I tend to use the loose settings while on track alone since it can be more fun to throw the cars around, but use the stable settings when racing against others - Human or AI.

Lotus 40 not as bad in PC1, even more of hand full, If, can go through turns now:embarrassed:
I was expecting worse at Sonoma John but as I said it's OK. ;)

Oh and the Sonoma rolling start position is much better than Indy. You are dropped in on a straight section a little further away from the final corner. Still have to be careful though.

Oh and the Sonoma rolling start position is much better than Indy. You are dropped in on a straight section a little further away from the final corner. Still have to be careful though.

I still would prefer doing a standing start with no overtaking in the first sector as only rule, as this would be simple and safe solution even easy to understand for newcomers.
Of course I know this is no "reality stuff", but if we all were professional racedrivers we could use either forms of starting safely and there would be no need to search another variety. So maybe for sim racing this form would be a good solution for endurance racing instead of rolling start.
And to wipe out some concerns, I also do like standing starts when there are several short sprint races it surely has some thrilling moments to give.
Just my 2P.

About changing settings like brake balance, as we were running a non tuning challenge, it would only be fair to make those settings officially because not everybody has time enough to try different settings. Maybe we could discuss different settings here in this thread?

Last edited:
I thing it would be better if race start only after start line - until line everyone should keep position, pole keeper accelerates when line is crossed and everyone behind can accelerates only when car in upper position accelerates.

We used in different GT3 series Grid Start, but when green light came everyone stay still about 5s and then pole sitter start the accelerate to 100-120 kmh and speed was keep steady so that whole cars pack stay together. After last corner speed was dropped to 8o kmh all cars stayed close staggered grid and then pole sitter started accelerated when crossed the start/finish line. All other car started to accelerate when car in front started to accelerated. No passing before start/finish line was crossed.
This work well.

We used in different GT3 series Grid Start, but when green light came everyone stay still about 5s and then pole sitter start the accelerate to 100-120 kmh and speed was keep steady so that whole cars pack stay together. After last corner speed was dropped to 8o kmh all cars stayed close staggered grid and then pole sitter started accelerated when crossed the start/finish line. All other car started to accelerate when car in front started to accelerated. No passing before start/finish line was crossed.
This work well.
Old FIA regs stated no overtaking before the start line. Since a few years it's been changed to race start on green light.
I guess both can be done, we just have to test it if possible and let Sick decide wich is better.
In real life, you always have a formation lap - it's not so boring as one might think, as you're tensing up before the start and trying to keep some temperature on your tyres. Then no weaving is permitted on the final sector, and the leader drops his speed a bit to condense the pack before the start. Perhaps we could test this as well?

On another subject, I've just stumbled upon this Lotus 25 tribute http://www.lotuscars.com/exige-cup-430-type-25#
Anybody got the £? :drool:

Last edited:
A formation lap is an option available in Pcars so it might be worth giving it a go. But not on the Nordschleife of coarse!
Does having a formation lap take one lap off the overall race duration I wonder?

On another subject, I've just stumbled upon this Lotus 25 tribute
Very nice. I expect they'll soon be all sold.

I don't think the original Lotus 25 had "air conditioning, an in-car entertainment system, including iPod® connectivity and Bluetooth® functionality, cruise control, a full carpet set and floor mats". I can't remember the drivers on Sick's videos trying to select their favorite playlists. :)

Old FIA regs stated no overtaking before the start line. Since a few years it's been changed to race start on green light.
I guess both can be done, we just have to test it if possible and let Sick decide wich is better.
In real life, you always have a formation lap - it's not so boring as one might think, as you're tensing up before the start and trying to keep some temperature on your tyres. Then no weaving is permitted on the final sector, and the leader drops his speed a bit to condense the pack before the start. Perhaps we could test this as well?

On another subject, I've just stumbled upon this Lotus 25 tribute http://www.lotuscars.com/exige-cup-430-type-25#
Anybody got the £? :drool:
It would be interesting to have the engine from this tribute car put into a real Lotus 25!!! :mischievous:

There is a view from my replay

It is not a first time I had accident where me and another guy had completelly different view. During thease accidents another guy and you aswell livestreamed so I am not 100 % sure but guess livestream is a problem.

It really is a big difference.
I won't use livestream on the next race to see if there's a difference in terms of lag.
On the GTE race I was livestreaming and didn't lag.

Thanks Skip I can imagine its quite good watching the racing from there.:D Its looks more green than what it does in the game though, may be time of year?

Yes, in game looks to be Fall or Winter. Very green in Sprng and and Summer...pretty wine country there...lots of famous wineries in the area could do wine tasting at!
Thanks Skip I can imagine its quite good watching the racing from there.:D Its looks more green than what it does in the game though, may be time of year?

Interesting. I've thought that maybe it's the stable settings in use since it does feel more that way. It's difficult to know really.

I think the cars are on the loose settings when we race - I believe the game gives the default setting that the host uses. As host I only use the loose settings. I think the stable setups were created to be default settings for hand controller users with loose being the default setting for wheel users.

I tested the rolling start at Sonoma from several positions - it is still very difficult to maintain your correct start position - for this reason we will be trying a formation lap on Monday and Wednesday with no overtaking allowed until you have passed the start line.

I thing it would be better if race start only after start line - until line everyone should keep position, pole keeper accelerates when line is crossed and everyone behind can accelerates only when car in upper position accelerates.

We will be following this suggestion on Monday and Wednesday - there will be a formation lap with no changes of position until after you have passed the startline.

for this reason we will be trying a formation lap on Monday and Wednesday with no overtaking allowed until you have passed the start line.
Good idea. Could I suggest that we stay in single file throughout, not double. It would help prevent any positional confusion. And also give a slight benefit to those with better qualifying times.

Last edited:
Since my replacement pedals haven't arrived yet, it looks like I'll be sitting tonight's race out again :grumpy:

I'll update if they get delivered today but I'm not very hopeful

EDIT – they just arrived so I'm in after two long weeks of no pCARS!

Last edited:
We will try a single file start!
Right Oh. If you haven't already done so I'll write a message on the PSN thread later if I get chance.

For anyone who hasn't spotted the changes...
Tonight's race and Wednesday's:

After normal qualification the race will begin with a formation lap - do not start racing straight away! Follow the leader around (max. 120kph/75mph) holding position in single file throughout without overtaking. Crashing and/or leaving your position may cause penalties or (worst case) disqualification.

When the leader nears the pit area/last corner he will slow down (approx 80kph/50mph) to allow the field to close up. When the leader approaches the start line he will accelerate, this is the sign that the race has begun but do not attempt to overtake until your car has passed the start line.

I think that covers it. Hopefully everything will run smoothly. Just be sensible, remember your qualifying position and stick to it. Good luck all.

Except that it doesn't snow there at all normally!
That's global warming for you. Or perhaps it might be global cooling. :boggled:

EDIT – they just arrived so I'm in after two long weeks of no pCARS
Good news Joe. 👍
Well it is if they work anyway.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back