Monsters' drifting garage

Jesus. Don't you get a headache drifting like that? Just hoping the car is in a suitable gear for the corner? And the sound of the 'great' engine on Gran turismo at max RPMs? You enjoy Auto Trans but you can use manual Trans aswell.... Sounds logical. I guess it's just a habit because it's obviously not helping you one bit haha
I'm sorry I don't enjoy my hobby in the same way you enjoy your hobby :rolleyes:

Its stuff like this that makes the drift forum such a dull place these days, nobody wants to say anything because somebodies always on their high horse waiting to 🤬 on them.

Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciate it :cheers: . It's meant to be used with manual trans where you can control it a bit easier but I know you aren't about that life :lol: . I'm more of a lap drifter rather than a tandem one so most of the stuff I make is to have a clean nice lap around a track and not drive door-to-door with someone else behind you or vice versa. Thank you anyway for taking the time to look at it 👍
Its not the power or the gearing thats a problem, its just a bit fidgety. It could retain the same balance and poise but be less twitchy if you dropped the spring rates a little at each end, it wouldn't take anything away from the car but it would be more predictable and usable 👍

I'm sorry I don't enjoy my hobby in the same way you enjoy your hobby :rolleyes:

Its stuff like this that makes the drift forum such a dull place these days, nobody wants to say anything because somebodies always on their high horse waiting to 🤬 on them.

Its not the power or the gearing thats a problem, its just a bit fidgety. It could retain the same balance and poise but be less twitchy if you dropped the spring rates a little at each end, it wouldn't take anything away from the car but it would be more predictable and usable 👍

How much do you think I should lower them?

How much do you think I should lower them?
Not much, the car just feels a bit too responsive at the moment which is making small corrections difficult and making it twitchy, a common issue for light weight cars.
Reducing the spring rate will reduce the speed of reaction to steering/throttle/brake inputs and make it feel less nervous, the downside of this might be increased body roll and a tendency to get sloppy. To counter this we can increase ARB strength to compensate for side to side roll and damper compression/extension to tackle front to back motion (Increase front damper comp/rear extension if the car is diving under braking, increase rear damper comp/ front extension if the car is rearing up when accelerating)

Its stuff like this that makes the drift forum such a dull place these days, nobody wants to say anything because somebodies always on their high horse waiting to 🤬 on them. 👍
Yeah we are really meanies over here. Watch out :lol:
More than s:censored: it's a constructive criticism. I just find it hard to believe it's more enjoyable to use Auto than Manual. And most of the people I've seen using that is because they can't focus on changing gears as they drift. Which I find funny. It doesn't take that much. I find it tedious to just use break, gas, and steering. Heck..even on NFSU I prefered using manual. You just feel you have control over the car. Again. Each to their own. That's how I see it. And most people do I believe. Manual just seems like a "requirement" but I guess there are not really any since it's a game right? :rolleyes::P

Yeah we are really meanies over here. Watch out :lol:
More than s:censored: it's a constructive criticism. I just find it hard to believe it's more enjoyable to use Auto than Manual. And most of the people I've seen using that is because they can't focus on changing gears as they drift. Which I find funny. It doesn't take that much. I find it tedious to just use break, gas, and steering. Heck..even on NFSU I prefered using manual. You just feel you have control over the car. Again. Each to their own. That's how I see it. And most people do I believe. Manual just seems like a "requirement" but I guess there are not really any since it's a game right? :rolleyes::P
I think you need to look up what constructive criticism means

Want me to be more gentle? Use manual buddy. It really helps your drifting. Rainbows are cute.
Does it really?? Man I had no idea, I feel so stupid that I didn't make the link between the wheels spinning around and that funny stick thing in the centre console, I thought that was just where you put your driving hat when not at the track! I'd like to speak to your mother so I can find out what she fed to you when you were a baby to make your brain grow so big and powerful. Have you thought about applying for MIT or something because that kind of engineering insight could take you to the top of the class?!

Wow...that escalated quickly

So any chance you've got a tune for the AE86 Monster? I've tried doing one myself thinking that it's a pretty basic simple car. I'm quite happy with what I've got but would love to see how you'd go about it. EDIT: not 2 minutes after posting this I've found Haus's tune for this very car!! Still interested in your take on it Monster.

Also on a related note, how do you initiate your drifts? I personally use the old Scandinavian flick, occasionally if I feel it I'll maybe dab the hand brake but not often, would a certain style of drifting change how you might set up your motors?

I genuinely get frustrated at automatic users ONLY because I know if they used manual, they could be so much better at what they do and it would be more enjoyable for them.

It's like... they're holding themselves and their cars back because of, well, nothing.

People say "but I'm on controller"...

Manual is not hard, in fact it's a lot easier on controller than it is on a wheel (clutch/gearstick compared to just 2 buttons/triggers).

I never used manual before PS3 because I figured it would be too difficult to time it etc. and I didn't really have the basics of driving down nevermind changing gears, I understand, but within a few laps it just became as easy as breathing. All you really have to do is listen to your engine and have a vague idea of where your powerband is, because obviously, you'll be able to use your power properly now! :D

(If you're banging on the limiter, unless you're in a car that peaks on the redline, you're probably only using about 50% of your engines potential while using automatic)

I've done tests with several cars, looking at the data logging, on auto/manual and the auto is usually 1 or 2 gears lower than it should be on most corners to actually use your powerband properly.

----

Hopefully that didn't come off like I was saying it while sat on a horse or something... :lol:

This is a community forum man, I'm truly only trying to help and point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'm sure I've read that Haus does use manual sometime but prefers to just use auto. Admittedly I've only used manual the past 3 weeks. On the whole I've always used auto. I probably won't ever go back now though. Certainly for drifting!! I love being able to let the motor bounce off the limiter while hooning about the track

I genuinely get frustrated at automatic users ONLY because I know if they used manual, they could be so much better at what they do and it would be more enjoyable for them.

It's like... they're holding themselves and their cars back because of, well, nothing.

People say "but I'm on controller"...

Manual is not hard, in fact it's a lot easier on controller than it is on a wheel (clutch/gearstick compared to just 2 buttons/triggers).

I never used manual before PS3 because I figured it would be too difficult to time it etc. and I didn't really have the basics of driving down nevermind changing gears, I understand, but within a few laps it just became as easy as breathing. All you really have to do is listen to your engine and have a vague idea of where your powerband is, because obviously, you'll be able to use your power properly now! :D

(If you're banging on the limiter, unless you're in a car that peaks on the redline, you're probably only using about 50% of your engines potential while using automatic)

I've done tests with several cars, looking at the data logging, on auto/manual and the auto is usually 1 or 2 gears lower than it should be on most corners to actually use your powerband properly.

----

Hopefully that didn't come off like I was saying it while sat on a horse or something... :lol:

This is a community forum man, I'm truly only trying to help and point you in the right direction.
To add to what @Streeto said (not preaching, just sharing my experiences), I too made the switch from auto to manual back near the beginning of GT5....and I can not stress how dramatic of an impact it had on the degree of control I had over any car I drove, whether it be drifting or grip racing.

It was definitely an adjustment. I had to rearrange my DS3 layout, so that in itself took getting used to. It too a few weeks to get the hang of it, and the better part of a few months before I could start shifting without really thinking about it. But now, there's no going back :)

For me, the biggest advantage manual gives me (In conjunction with the diff setting - for drifting, I usually run close to a 1.5 way diff) is it increases the degree of control I have over the drive wheels.

For drifting specifically, manually selecting gears allows me to have more control over the wheelspin, as well as either increase or decrease the radius of a drift (the lower the gear, the smaller the radius).

Being able to dump the transmission into 1st gear while doing high-speed, big angle entries (GVS, T1-2; Deep Forest T1) is key to help trail brake the car into the corner while either at 90' or backwards. Then quickly back up to either 3 or 4 before getting back on the throttle (touching the throttle in too low a gear usually causes over rotation).

Likewise, being able to bang up through the gearbox on corner exit can do wonders to increase your exit speed (which isn't necessarily about being outright fast, but being able to carry more speed into the following corner/section...which is always more fun :))

I've found that pretty much the same applies for grip racing. When you enter a corner, you can drop a gear for a split second to help tighten up the radius of your turn in. Same if you're getting wheelspin on exit, you can shift up to eliminate that while still staying at full throttle (really only works well in cars with the appropriate powerband, and the right transmission tune).

Lastly, manual opens up the possibility of short-shifting, which in turn opens up a whole new way to build/tune a variety of cars.

Like I said, it does take some getting used to, but in my opinion, it's definitely beneficial. At the very least, I would encourage someone to give it a fair try (more than a few hours) before completely writing it off.

Last edited:
Before this goes any further:
In the summer I have very little time for gaming because of my job, I get maybe 2hrs a week at best. I was asked to test a car out for @MonstercaatUK so I obliged because he seemed nice when we'd spoken before, I only had time to give the car 20 or so laps at a couple of tracks. I thought instead of just writing a little review I'd accompany it with a video, wasn't trying to prove anything or show off, just thought he might appreciate it perhaps, maybe even learn something from watching his car in someone else's hands.

Now I've got a whole raft of people telling me things I already know, I can and do use manual when doing anything but a quick shakedown and I agree completely that it gives better control. I'm very experienced in GT6 tuning and can tell fairly accurately whether an issue is being caused by a chassis problem or a drive train problem, I have driven the car in question with identical gearing using manual recently so I know what to expect from it.

@MonstercaatUK I'm sorry your thread got jacked, I never would have posted if I knew it was going to cause such a ridiculous backlash

To the rest of you, feel free to continue teaching the dog to bark in my thread if you want to, just please leave this one alone please

One of those pug dogs for sure :lol: Even for a shakedown, I guess changing gears is just too complicated. Or not enough time to change from Auto to Manual I guess. Oh well, each to their own.

Before this goes any further:
In the summer I have very little time for gaming because of my job, I get maybe 2hrs a week at best. I was asked to test a car out for @MonstercaatUK so I obliged because he seemed nice when we'd spoken before, I only had time to give the car 20 or so laps at a couple of tracks. I thought instead of just writing a little review I'd accompany it with a video, wasn't trying to prove anything or show off, just thought he might appreciate it perhaps, maybe even learn something from watching his car in someone else's hands.

Now I've got a whole raft of people telling me things I already know, I can and do use manual when doing anything but a quick shakedown and I agree completely that it gives better control. I'm very experienced in GT6 tuning and can tell fairly accurately whether an issue is being caused by a chassis problem or a drive train problem, I have driven the car in question with identical gearing using manual recently so I know what to expect from it.

@MonstercaatUK I'm sorry your thread got jacked, I never would have posted if I knew it was going to cause such a ridiculous backlash

To the rest of you, feel free to continue teaching the dog to bark in my thread if you want to, just please leave this one alone please
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to teach your things you already know. I know you're a very accomplished tuner...I've used many of your tunes with great success!! Like I said, I was just sharing my experience for the benefit of anyone else who might happen to read this thread.

One of those pug dogs for sure :lol: Even for a shakedown, I guess changing gears is just too complicated. Or not enough time to change from Auto to Manual I guess. Oh well, each to their own.
Let it go man. You're coming across as a bit of a D in this thread bro.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to teach your things you already know. I know you're a very accomplished tuner...I've used many of your tunes with great success!! Like I said, I was just sharing my experience for the benefit of anyone else who might happen to read this thread.

Let it go man. You're coming across as a bit of a D in this thread bro.
Yeah its cool man, my beef isn't with you 👍
Just sick of this nonsense over nothing is all and didn't want the thread getting jacked by it

@DolHaus @DuggyD87 I haven't been on lately because I've got a job recently (my first one :D) so I've been kinda busy with that. Now I have a bit more time for myself after getting a fixed schedule and will most likely be on more.

As far as your request goes @DuggyD87 I will post a tune for the '86 as soon as possible, maybe later today if you're on or tomorrow. And when it comes to my entrance you could add me on PSN and watch some of my replays on the Seasonal Events. If you don't want to be bothered with that, I basically come at a high speed and start the Scandinavian Flick a little earlier whilst braking, after that I just continue the drift or add a tiny bit of e-brake whilst approaching the corner or once I'm in it. Maybe one of these days we can get in a lobby and I'll show you how I drift usually. Knowing this, you should always remember that everyone has their own style and/or technique and nobody should bug them about that since everyone's different (regarding this little person from other posts), but I'll be more than glad to show you. :cheers:

Suzuka%20Circuit%20East%20Course_zpsid1gebmd.jpg

Suzuka%20Circuit%20East%20Course_1_zpsiakphqnx.jpg

Toyota Corolla Levin GT-Apex (AE86) '83

Wheel / Joypad: PS3 controller
Power: 288 BHP @ 7800 rpm / 207.7 ft-lb @ 7000 rpm
Weight: 975 kg
Performance Points: 464 PP
Tires: CH

Suspension: (Height-Adjustable, Fully-Customisable Suspension)

Ride Height:Front: 90 Rear: 90
Spring Rate: Front: 5.15 kg Rear: 5.34 kg
Dampers (Compression): Front: 4 Rear: 4
Dampers (Extension): Front: 4 Rear: 4
Anti-Roll Bars: Front: 2 Rear: 4
Camber Angle (-): Front: 1.0° Rear: 2.5°
Toe Angle:Front: -0.05° Rear: 0.06°
Brakes: F: 5 R: 5

Drivetrain: Fully-Customisable Dog-Clutch Max speed either 260 or 270 km/h

Differential Gear: Fully Customisable Differential
Initial Torque:
F - R - 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: F - R - 32
Braking Sensitivity: F - R - 10
Clutch & Flywheel: Twin-Plate
Propeller Shaft: Carbon

Power
Oil Change: Yes
Power Limiter: 100%
Engine Tuning: Stage 3
Computer: Standard
Exhaust: Racing
Exhaust Manifold: Isometric

Catalytic Converter: Sports
Intake Tuning: Yes
Turbo Kit: Stage: High RPM Range Turbo Kit

Nitrous Oxide (N2O): No
Body

Body Rigidity Improvement: No
Downforce: F: 0 R: 0
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Bonnet: Carbon
Windows: Windows weight reduction
Ballast: 154 kg
Ballast position: 50%

I based this tune off of @DolHaus 's tune so most of the credit goes to him as I was struggling to get this thing working properly. I added my own little touch to the suspension, just because of my way of tuning and drifting cars. Ballast was something necessary since the car's weight is mainly in the front end although you could remove it and tweak the suspension a bit more to get it working for you.

Let me know if you like it @DuggyD87 , I did it on the go, running a few laps on suzuka east and then tweaking it until I could complete a couple of laps without losing control, keeping a constant drift. Any other suggestions just let me know and I'll see what I can do 👍 I can also tune a racing car of your choice for a seasonal maybe, if you're having issues with that, just drop a comment :cheers:

Great stuff @MonstercaatUK i'll get on and check out the tune asap. I know what your saying about the ballast one of the first things I did was get it as near to 50/50 as I could!

I'm not really on much now I've picked up an Xbox One with Forza so I've been flinging around with friends in that the last few days. Have only logged on a couple of times to GT. will need to make sure I get on and stay fresh on it, so when I do I'll be sure to add you and hopefully get in a lobby

I've been wondering which car I should work on next, would gladly take some requests. I have a Cadillac CTS-V drift tune ready to upload, an Audi TT drift tune and a Subaru Impreza WRX Spec-C. Please leave your request below or tell me which of these I should upload next. Cheers!

Back