More F1 cars

• Thread starter mcord17
  • 20 comments
United Kingdom
London
I have found that GT5 contains a lot of NASCAR cars, WRC and GT500 cars etc when we only have 2 F1 cars from Ferrari. Could we have for GT6 a range of different F1 cars from different teams and different generations?

Not likely, due to the F1 license. PD has a special deal with Ferrari, which resulted in the inclusion of the two older Ferrari F1 models. For newer models, Codemasters F1 is the game you're looking for. If I remember correctly, they have the exclusive licensing deal with Formula One, and whoever hosts it. (FIA?)

They could include other modern cars (Simraceway has the three latest McLarens IIRC) but they can't race each other, they can only race clones of themselves.

Instead of going after expensive AND restrictive F1 licensing I'd much rather them give us more fictional openwheel cars, or cars from lesser series like Indycar or F3 etc.

Instead of going after expensive AND restrictive F1 licensing I'd much rather them give us more fictional openwheel cars, or cars from lesser series like Indycar or F3 etc.

+1, customizable generic open wherl cars are the way to go for gt6

Could we have for GT6 a range of different F1 cars from different teams and different generations?

I agree with this, would be interesting, but only if they would be usable.

They could include other modern cars (Simraceway has the three latest McLarens IIRC) but they can't race each other, they can only race clones of themselves.

And that is ridiculous, one of the fun things with GT is that you can race almost anything against anything, this destroys it a bit..

They should be able to make something like a better/up to date (i mean, non-ps2-style) version of the FGT, if they could do it in 2004 they should be able to do it now too.

Wow, I registered just to say that? hmm.. :odd:

The F1 license is very expensive, PD could theoretically buy the license and have more F1 cars but that is still quite dangerous and basically not a good idea if the ideas of customizable open-wheel cars comes into GT6.

I also agree with this 👍

It's going to be a tough process to try to get more real F1 cars. We're fortunate to even get the two Ferrari F1 cars in GT5 and the lone Ferrari F1 car in "GT5: Prologue." All we can really hope for on an F1 front is for the Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo. I don't think we'll see any modern and current F1 cars.

To be honest (and this may not be popular opinion), I don't think GT needs actual Formula 1 as part of its lineup of motorsports series. If you can't secure rights or whatever to feature F1, feature something that's just as good- the next best thing- the PD Formula Gran Turismo. Maybe even PD would make their own 2012-type Formula Gran Turismo to feature the more modern F1 cars like with the ugly noses and shark fin designs on the engine cover.

Part of having a variety of racing cars is to offer a diverse array of racing machines to use. Then too, making your own fantasy racing machines that are so close to a certain kind of racing. Other game examples coming up... Even though rFactor featured the BMW Sauber F1 car, rFactor's answer to F1 was the Formula IS cars. ToCA Race Driver 2 featured the Masters Grand Prix as its version of Formula 1, and it had American 1000 as its version of the IndyCar Series. So having these more fantasy machines may not tickle the fancy of those wanting authentic and real motorsport series, but at least having the next best thing is a great way to market a certain style of racing as well as establishing a unique identity for your game.

Whether more F1 cars find their way into GT6 or if we'll have to make with the Formula Gran Turismo, I don't think formula-type racing isn't going away in the Gran Turismo series. Maybe PD can build on GT3's F1 cars based on past cars, and maybe they can make more. Can you imagine PD making their own rendition of the Tyrrell P34 (the infamous six-wheeled F1 car)? What about a PD rendition of the Williams FW11B? That's what I think it all comes down to- make the next best thing even if you can't get proper F1 cars.

I've started a thread a while ago to propose my solution to openwheel formula cars in GT.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197278

This was basically my idea (and note that this was before the FGT received a basic cockpit making it more useable for me).

A few days ago I thankfully reached B-spec level 40 (so I won't need to bother with it anymore) and received the level 24 ticket.
When I used it I was expecting to get one of the Ferrari F1 cars but instead I got another FGT (great, another Standard car I won't use, already got and cannot trade...).
This however got me thinking about this car and its role in GT5 and future GT-games.

If future GT-games consist of Premium cars only (and let's hope they do) it is to be expected this car eventually will be replaced by a Premium version but does it have to be replaced, by which I mean replaced by a car similar in concept?
With both Ferrari F1 cars included and the 'ultimate' racecar in the form of the Red Bull X1 (sorry, X2010) the FGT's place seems a bit unclear and perhaps even obsolete.
Sure, GT5 has the FGT championship making this car automatically 'relevant' and some do seem to really like this car but I think PD should rethink this formula's formula.

It seems to somewhat fill the gap right now between the F1 cars and the X2010 (although it's perhaps much closer in concept to the F1 cars) but there's a much bigger gap regarding openwheeled racecars between the F1 cars and the little karts.
So I propose they could fill this gap and here's my suggestion how they could do this (to keep it relevant to GT5 I'll try to fit it within GT5's structure as it is right now, so it could theoretically be added as DLC).

When you go into the Gran Turismo dealership you'll find 2 basic monocoques or formula-type chassis with only the 'necessary' bodywork, no front or rear wings, etc.
One is a short wheel base version and the other a longer wheel base version both sharing the same cockpit view (to save time and not overcomplicate things).
Instead of selecting colours you select the engine, the short wheel base version can be purchased with either an N/A 'four' or a turbocharged 'four' whilst the longer wheelbase version can be fitted with either a V6 or V8 engine, or something along those lines.
Once chosen and bought you take it to GT-Auto where you can pick and mix several types of front and rear wings, diffusers, etc. and paint it (or not) using the paintshop (obviously).

This way you can both create a "unique" formula-car more suited to personal preferences whilst at the same time creating multiple kind of openwheeled racecars and therefor multiple series to exploit, and fill the gap between the lovely little karts and the F1 cars.
No trouble with licensing (and the mighty Bernie) and creating a much bigger variety of openwheeled racecars.
If PD are going to add fantasy or imaginary cars, why not let us play a (small) role in imagining them by selecting a few options?

So it seems like you want a "build-a-formula?" Sounds interesting. The one thing a number of people don't realize about Formula 1 is that not every car from every team is the same. Sure, the cars may all look alike, but some have different features and such that make each one different from one another. It would be too complex to try to build an F1 car based on certain internals or certain aerodynamic details. You're probably better off making your own fantasy F1 car based on a real car rather than try to pursue making your own F1 car to your own specifications.

I honestly don't know what to REALLY make of your proposal, analog, but I like your idea.

Yeah, basically 2 or 3 different templates (so just 2 or 3 cockpit views needed to be modelled, in theory just one I guess but that would be a bit boring), each with several engine options (and several bodywork styles available) so you can create a lot of different cars/formulas, there could perhaps also be a no-wing bodywork option for the lowest tier car so you could replicate Formula Ford with no downforce available.

I'm assuming it's perfectly possible (I think already in GT5) as it's essentially the same as those karts they did, only adding different bodywork options to that concept and the ability to select engines (which could be tied to those chassis options making them in essence separate cars to select in the dealership).

mcord17
I have found that GT5 contains a lot of NASCAR cars, WRC and GT500 cars etc when we only have 2 F1 cars from Ferrari. Could we have for GT6 a range of different F1 cars from different teams and different generations?

I take it that you don't do much in the way of racing games. GT is probably it for you, right? The reason I suggest this is that any motorsport fan that is enthusiastic about racing games knows Codemasters holds the exclusive GT-can't-ever-have-it license.

To be brutally honest, I would pay to have classic F1 cars to play with, like Fangio's 1951 Alfa 159, the Prost/Senna 1988 McLaren MP4/4 and the obligatory Fittipaldi's 1972 Lotus John Player Special.

Having a whole lot of classic formula one cars that are at least comparable in terms of performance between each other would make for a even more enjoyable experience.

I have never thought about having classic f1 cars in GT5 that would really be great I would pay 10 bucks for one of them if they are premium

Latest Posts

Back