More lame GT4 news....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greyout
  • 83 comments
  • 4,903 views
Messages
665
This news came up in another thread - for the life of me I can't find it, but I remember that no one commented on it, so maybe the news went unnoticed.

One of the more recent traits of GT4 that has been released went something like this: "Whereas in previous Gran Turismo titles the races had restrictions such as car, horsepower, and modification limits, Players will find those restrictions largely eliminated in GT4. Instead, a points system will be introduced that will award a player different points depending on how difficult he made the race for himself - a 600HP car winning a race against a field of 150HP cars would recieve less points then if it raced its equals."

Personally, I think thats very disapointing. I feel like the previous guidelines for many of the races were too open already. I would have to restart a race 4 or 5 times, trying to set up a car that seemed to be equal to the others - and there was always a big spread in the AI cars also. This is bad when you have a tiny 6 car field.

There are three ways this is going to work out:

1 - Upon entering a race, you are provided with an overall estimation of your cars' competitiveness on a sliding scale. You can then decide if you want to change your setup. This would be lame, as you bascally decide before each race how hard you want it to be.

2 - like GT3, You will have no idea what kind of performance you will be up against, even when you see all the cars... just a bunch of stock looking cars that may actually be stock, or all at ambigious levels of modification. You restart the race several times in hopes of both entering a car that was on the AI's playing field, and pulling a field that was more or less on par with eachother.

3 - like the earlier GT's, you know the type, weight, and HP rating of all the cars before you enter. Possibily even what tires, etc. Again, you pick any car you want, that will stomp the compititon to whatever level you want.

I agree that, because its really just a game, there should be races and championships that you can enter in to that have these wide open rules. There needs to be a limit though - I find this news very disapointing. As a proponent of sanctioned production car racing, pehaps I am bit more in favor of strict class rules then the next guy might be (each class has a list of mods allowed, and each car in that class car has a minimum weight) so maybe I'd feel more at home behind the wheel of GTR or some other sim...

either way, I think this news is very disapointing. There is nothing that can deflate the feeling of victory, no matter how legitimate, knowing that maybe your car is just a bit over prepped then the other, or maybe you had some advantage you didn't deserve, rather then you making the pass on the last lap out of pure skill.

comments?
 
I would have liked them to set it up by power to weight ratio within classes...that would have been fair. It would be cool to know what the other cars are running too. They can still throw that in...maybe :indiff:
 
I agree am saddened to hear of the races being restrictionless (There'll still be suff like FR, MR, FF only races tho wont there.?)

The game should allow you to see your opponents spec as it did in GT1 (i think by clicking FIELD or something before a race)

Does anyone know what this point system will be used for? Eg: gain X amount of points to unlock Y car in arcade mode etc. or will it just BE THERE as in prologue and do nothing.
 
Im pretty sure it will be linked to the credits for purchasing cars and parts.

Therefore if you take the easy option, youll get less points/credits to use on new cars, etc.
Also be kinda like bragging rights as to who scored the most in an individual race, ie used crappiest car and still won by a mile.
 
I think this new method is really MUCH better than the older one. My reason being that not everyone has 5 hours a day to play GT. If they just want that extra prize car that they couldn't buy, they can just race away and win it relatively quickly. Ironically, I think this will help GT's longevity. Like how I'm currently 80-90% done GT3, but I don't wanna race all those longass series but I DO want the prize cars. Plus it opens up the game to people that aren't too good at it and allows THEM to talor their skill to the game, not the other way around. But once again, it comes down to cheating. But you know what? If you race a 500HP car in a 160HP race, then that's your loss cuz then your not getting the full joy out of the game.
 
well, what if you need 500,000 credits to get the next prize car. if you win FR Icelandic challenge in a Toyota GT1 you win 15,000, if you win with a Corvette Z06 you win 200,000 and if you win with the turbo beatle you win 500,000.

b
 
I really don't understand the whole point system anyway, does it mean that you get more game credits when you win with a ****ty car or something else. Because that really doesn't make sense because there has to be game progression and the only way I can think that would work is to have money values increase as you get through the game, like in GT3. Basically I just dont understand how all this point crap is going to work so someone please explain it to me.
 
Im dissapointed aswell, this makes sense if the game was online for bragging rights as to who is the more competive driver. and for the comment from civicbus about being better for beginers?? the game is pretty easy, as my 9 yr old nephew has no prob beating the AI cars
 
I found this at granturismoworld.comhttp://www.granturismoworld.com/index_en_GB.html

"Finally (yes, really), there's the newly-implemented high score system. Typically, races in GT have imposed all sorts of race regulations - tyre types, maximum horsepower, etc. - which has restricted the variety of cars allowed to compete in certain events. GT4 omits many of these regulations in favour of a high score system which lets you earn points from successful races based on the vehicle and modifications you use.

Win a race at a disadvantage - driving a 200hp car in a 400hp race, for example - and you'll earn more points than, say, winning the race in a 600hp motor. In effect, this gives you the chance to play through the game as you wish, whether you prefer to progress quickly at the expense of points, or to take the risk and drive at a disadvantage to send your scores soaring."

Personally I would have liked power-to-weight ratio limits. Apart from that I'm okay with this "High Score" method. I just wish there were a custom option (probably in the Arcade srction) where you could pick the cars you want to race against! Oh well
 
slackbladder
I. I just wish there were a custom option (probably in the Arcade srction) where you could pick the cars you want to race against! Oh well
something i've been saying for years! i totally agree
Its hard/impossable to have a competitive race if you want to drive a 911, vette, or viper without racing against race cars. forget trying to drive a XJ220 or similer.


b
 
cudadude2
well, what if you need 500,000 credits to get the next prize car. if you win FR Icelandic challenge in a Toyota GT1 you win 15,000, if you win with a Corvette Z06 you win 200,000 and if you win with the turbo beatle you win 500,000.

b

Where did you read that that's how it's going to work? KY said "points" not credits. So I'm assuming all he means by that is, that it is some kind of ranking system. So winning a race regardless of make/model will win you the set amount of credits.

soldiaboy: can she win all the races in pro? If she can, mad props! What I meant was that it would be easier to win the higher up races where it gets really tight.

but like a couple people have said, a power to weight ratio system would be the best.
 
That there won't be limits doesn't mean the race info screen won't tell you about what power/weight the AI is running. They could very easily attach that kind of thing to the race info screen. And I think they probably will, because implementing this system without letting people make informed decisions would be pretty silly.
 
Civicbus
Plus it opens up the game to people that aren't too good at it and allows THEM to talor their skill to the game, not the other way around.

How do you figure out if the car you are using is truely an equal compared to the others? If you run lap times similar to the leader? How do you know that you don't infact suck, and your car has an advantage of the others which makes up for it? I don't want to be constantly adjusting my car's equipment so that my stagnant ability is shifted to meet the compitition... I want to be presented with the competition, my equipment which puts me on a level playing field, and then actually have to be good to beat the game. Every other game is like this! The only time you ever had complete control over your advantage or disadvantage in another game is if you cheated w/ a gameshark or something. I'm having a tough time in my N/A civic beating the other 5 N/A civics - so lets turbocharge it! Or even just a slight N/A power bump to get the win! Thats about as cool and fun as autoaim in Counterstrike, but WORSE because you never will know if you are on the same playing field!

What do you do if you want a structured, equal realistic grid of comparable cars? You won a race? Great, did you cheat? No? Are you SURE?
 
How much more boring would Gran Turismo be if every race consisted of just one kind of car with all equal tuning? Unless you do that, you can't eliminate the "is my car really equal?" problem.
 
Greyout
How do you figure out if the car you are using is truely an equal compared to the others? If you run lap times similar to the leader? How do you know that you don't infact suck, and your car has an advantage of the others which makes up for it? I don't want to be constantly adjusting my car's equipment so that my stagnant ability is shifted to meet the compitition... I want to be presented with the competition, my equipment which puts me on a level playing field, and then actually have to be good to beat the game. Every other game is like this! The only time you ever had complete control over your advantage or disadvantage in another game is if you cheated w/ a gameshark or something. I'm having a tough time in my N/A civic beating the other 5 N/A civics - so lets turbocharge it! Or even just a slight N/A power bump to get the win! Thats about as cool and fun as autoaim in Counterstrike, but WORSE because you never will know if you are on the same playing field!

What do you do if you want a structured, equal realistic grid of comparable cars? You won a race? Great, did you cheat? No? Are you SURE?

Are you a cheater like your example states? No? Then what are you complaining about? What do YOU care if someone else cheats their way through a game. I for one ACHE for a real challenge; I can't wait to see how crappy a car I can use to beat the AI. I KNOW I don't need to cheat by adding turbos to N/A races or whatever the case may be but if it helps a less skilled player pass that race then be my guest. Who wants to sit on one race for years and not be able to beat it and give up due to frustration? It's a GAME, it's suppose to be fun.
 
civicbus its a boy btw lol when he comes over ill let you know how he did in the pro races lol
 
soldiaboy
Im dissapointed aswell, this makes sense if the game was online for bragging rights as to who is the more competive driver. and for the comment from civicbus about being better for beginers?? the game is pretty easy, as my 9 yr old nephew has no prob beating the AI cars
Me too. I don't like this one bit. I like how they arranged the classes with restrictions in the past GT games.
 
Yep, this new system will not be perfect, it looks bad in fact. What I like is thet it will force people to use weaker cars and forget the Escudo option like in GT2. But what I've been expecting since forever is that EVERY championship is limited to the type of cars forming a championship ie you have to use a JGTC car in All Japan Champ, a british car in the british champ etc so the races would be more fun because entering JGTC championship with a 787B is so lame :yuck: .

This system is similar to what was announced for Forza a while ago.


See ya :sly:
 
just wait untill the d*mn game comes out, then you lot can judge if the point system is any good.
 
Looks like qualifying for races, will come in to play. Tune you car up or down to what you think you will run in the field, or maybe go back to garage and get a differnt car. Plus with all the new tracks and cars, car handling etc. it would be a good ideal to qualify. Wonder how your A.I. drive will do driving perhaps a slightly less powerfull cars then other A.I. opponents.
 
Just relax people lets wait patiently for the GT4 game to come out then we will all be happy campers. :dopey: 👍
 
While this new point system is still here, I doubt they will eliminate races like:
Red Badge
Type-R
N/A Only
Turbo Only
Race Cars only
Road cars only etc....
And with the new options in terms of superchargers,
you could even have a Supercharger kit related race. Like in the Begginer you can only use cars that come stock with a super, then in Amatuer you can use like a stage 1 or 2, and then for pro 3 and 4. And on Endurance they could have races for cars that are flat stock! This point system just sounds like an addition to the GT3 race system.
Most races could be run in any car, and then there where ones that required a stock car or a specific brand or drive train or sumthing.
All this point system is, is a reward system for people who don't just abuse easy races with more powerfull cars (Sunday Cup with GTOne Race Car, R390 GT-1 LM Racer.....)

I think it would be cool. And maby the points can be used to open up the extremely high performance models at dealerships.
Like at Ford it would open up the section with the Rally Focus, GT40, GT, etc
And at Dodge it would open up the Viper GTSR concept and whatnot.
Or maby it will be to open up cars in Arcade, or maby it will be used to open better upgrades. Who knows! I don't see anything negative about this new system at all. Yes it has it's downs, but the ups really out weight them here. Basically it's a way of keeping someone from just winning that 10,000 car race untill they can afford something good and then just rampaging the entire begginer league. I know, thats how I went through GT my first time.
Got gold on my a and b liscense tests, sold the cars, bought a Pt Cruiser and Turboed it and it got me through most of the begginer league. Then at almost 97% my little bro saved over it with his crappy garage with no cars and no change to get one back. Didn't have enough Cr to do anything..... So now I am in the process of makin a game save with all of the prize cars and the cars you have to hack with the GS. (Diablo, 911 GT3, Stratos Ralley, Stratos Road, VX220 (I have US version), and the sample cars.
 
The points system sounds like a way for us to finally compare to each others driving skills. Before, it was things like getting all gold, and completing certain tasks. Now, all we have to do is compare our scores, once we complete the game. We could also compare points earned for a particular race, or race series.
 
Solid Lifters
The points system sounds like a way for us to finally compare to each others driving skills. Before, it was things like getting all gold, and completing certain tasks. Now, all we have to do is compare our scores, once we complete the game. We could also compare points earned for a particular race, or race series.

it's a start. But people always find ways to cheapen the experience and racking up tons of points.

It would be a better way to compare skills if you could actually race em, or at least just check their times out. You can upload fast times right?
 
kinigitt
it's a start. But people always find ways to cheapen the experience and racking up tons of points.

It would be a better way to compare skills if you could actually race em, or at least just check their times out. You can upload fast times right?
Yes, but how are we to know if they didn't use a stage 4 turbo? Now, the points prevent any form of cheating, unless you have figured a way to do it already. I suppose there will be ways to cheat, but we don't even know how the point system will work.
 
Maybe when the times are uploaded it'll have all the particulars on the car you used to set the lap time with inside the code that you submit that authenicates the time???

So you could compare like this...

Deep Forest
56.791 * ThisGuy * 2003 Dodge Viper * 560hp * 1230kg * Race Tyres (Soft) * 3rd Stage Weight Reduction
57.034 * ThatGuy * 2001 Lotus Elise * 376hp * 776kg * Race Tyres (Semi-Soft) * 4th Stage Weight Reduction

Thus I'd consider ThatGuy did the better lap comparitively...

Just a thought...
 
hellnback
Maybe when the times are uploaded it'll have all the particulars on the car you used to set the lap time with inside the code that you submit that authenicates the time???

So you could compare like this...

Deep Forest
56.791 * ThisGuy * 2003 Dodge Viper * 560hp * 1230kg * Race Tyres (Soft) * 3rd Stage Weight Reduction
57.034 * ThatGuy * 2001 Lotus Elise * 376hp * 776kg * Race Tyres (Semi-Soft) * 4th Stage Weight Reduction

Thus I'd consider ThatGuy did the better lap comparitively...

Just a thought...

a very good thought.
 
This sounds a bit confusing to me as well. So if you win at a disadvantage, your "points" will go up and you can race almost any damn way you like? This is kind of sounding like myself "rediscovering" GT2. I was doing races in a 1993 Toyota Supra for maybe some 20 or 25 percent completion. Even with some aggressive tactics, I challenged the Special Stage Route 5 race with my red Supra in a round of the 80s Sports Car events. And from there, I've kind of acheived glory.

In terms of sports, this is sounding more like the BCS in American college football. Last season, ranking your team as the best in the nation used to involve quality wins, strength of schedule, losses, and stuff like that. Of course now, strength of schedule and losing are eliminated. But still, on gameday, you have to deliver. Otherwise, you're not going to be ranked very high. And if this holds true, we'll have even more trouble going from rags to riches. Take it from your boy, John. You go from a 1995 Honda Prelude to a Toyota GT-One, and do it all in style. If PD's been getting ideas from Gran Turismo forum sites (like this one), I guess PD is trying to prevent 55 second leads. But if you ask me, maybe the series probably won't let you race low-powered race cars into lowly race series. For example, the drivetrain races. And I don't want another Italian Avantgarde in GT4. On top of that, if I'm going to lose, it's only going to be when I've exhausted all of my efforts and raced as hard as I could. I'm not going to keep accepting loss after loss. I'm not saying I'm a horrible racer. I'm just saying that I'd want to quickly head into bigger and better races without having to race in 20 races of low-powered cars before stepping up to the better machinery. So... am I understanding this right? Or do I have to review this thread and its replies a little more to finally understand what's going on here?
 
There is something that annoyes me in GT3, and that hasn't been mentioned in any of the news released about GT4 until now. So I'm afraid I will have to live with it . . .
Before you enter a series of races (championship) you always have to remember to change OIL, because you cannot do it any more beween races. How stupid is this ? ? ? Your tyres are changed as often as you like. Between races you can change previously purchased parts, you can change settings, . . . so the imaginary mechanics can do almost anything except . . . change your oil.

Does anybody have the same feelings about this.

greetz
 
Back