More misc. questions on the livery editor...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 47 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
-Is there an ideal way to more-or-less preview which part(s) of my livery will be taken up by the official racing stickers if/when they are put on? The ones that have a functioning car number and your chosen manufacturer/nation. I was thinking with Racing Sticker #2.... And speaking of which, when *are* these stickers forced onto you? Isn't it just the FIA-sanctioned races?

-How do you guys work around precise curves of something like an intake? So far, it seems like you can do an awful lot with even the most basic shapes, but I was nevertheless curious. What about side mirrors?

-Can you simultaneously select multiple layers that've been applied to one side, and then copy them en-masse? Or do I have to do it layer-by-layer?

-I happened to get the steelbook edition, and it does say the livery sticker pack, chrome helm, $1mm, and eight cars have been downloaded - and I've been able to find/receive all of those in-game except for that first one. Where would I find these special stickers? Am I honestly missing much?

-Is this a bug? With the Super GT cars, it seems like there is a separate paint option presumably for each driver - but I can't see any difference between the two at all! Nothing seems to change - not the racing number nor the names on top...

I just want to start by saying you don't have to make a new thread for every question you have. You're free to ask as many questions as you want but it would probably be smart to keep it to one thread. :)

-Is there an ideal way to more-or-less preview which part(s) of my livery will be taken up by the official racing stickers if/when they are put on? The ones that have a functioning car number and your chosen manufacturer/nation. I was thinking with Racing Sticker #2.... And speaking of which, when *are* these stickers forced onto you? Isn't it just the FIA-sanctioned races?
Yes. Just put it on before starting to make your design, and work around those areas.
Those are forced on in the GT League races too. They vary in design from series to series, though.

-How do you guys work around precise curves of something like an intake? So far, it seems like you can do an awful lot with even the most basic shapes, but I was nevertheless curious. What about side mirrors?
It's mostly all about angling your camera view as the projection method. Play around with this and also the projection area, this is a big feature you'll learn to love.

-Can you simultaneously select multiple layers that've been applied to one side, and then copy them en-masse? Or do I have to do it layer-by-layer?
No, you have to do it layer-by-layer. Usually smart to duplicate each layer on reverse as you go, instead of making one side before starting to copy them over. It will save you time, as you practically make both sides at the same time.

-I happened to get the steelbook edition, and it does say the livery sticker pack, chrome helm, $1mm, and eight cars have been downloaded - and I've been able to find/receive all of those in-game except for that first one. Where would I find these special stickers? Am I honestly missing much?
I wondered about that too. I think they're just automatically spread to each category where they belong. Wish they were in a special "DLC folder" so you could easily know which came with the game and which is "DLC", like the Mileage acquired stickers.

-Is this a bug? With the Super GT cars, it seems like there is a separate paint option presumably for each driver - but I can't see any difference between the two at all! Nothing seems to change - not the racing number nor the names on top...
I can't answer this one in detail, I'm sorry. As far as I know each SGT team has two drivers per car, and the only thing that changes is the light in the front windshield to indicate which driver who is currently driving.

I just want to start by saying you don't have to make a new thread for every question you have. You're free to ask as many questions as you want but it would probably be smart to keep it to one thread. :)

Sounds good, I'll take note for future reference.

Yes. Just put it on before starting to make your design, and work around those areas.
Those are forced on in the GT League races too. They vary in design from series to series, though.

I see - but if I'm just talking about online stuff, then is sticker design #2 the best way to mimic the sticker enforced in FIA races? And is it only in the FIA races where I'd be both online and requiring the sticker?

I see - but if I'm just talking about online stuff, then is sticker design #2 the best way to mimic the sticker enforced in FIA races? And is it only in the FIA races where I'd be both online and requiring the sticker?
Maybe. I don't know what size it is. Probably? If I was you I'd save a replay from both Nations and Manufacturers and then go into photo mode and take a picture of both, and then compare it to #2, sizewise. And also, you could make a decal out of those number plates if you fancy it and want it offline too.

I'll say yes and no to those races being the only races they're forced on; yes because yes, and no because in open lobbies the host may or may not force on standard number plates, or FIA ones. Take a look when flipping through the settings when opening a lobby on your own and you'll see what I mean. :)

There is nothing wrong with starting new threads to ask questions. In fact, questions posted in a long thread can be easily missed.

There is nothing wrong with starting new threads to ask questions. In fact, questions posted in a long thread can be easily missed.

True, but what I meant was just to use one of the fresh new question threads, maybe one from the same poster, not in a long existing one :) but of course I don’t mind it at all. :cheers:

True, but what I meant was just to use one of the fresh new question threads, maybe one from the same poster, not in a long existing one :) but of course I don’t mind it at all. :cheers:

Funny you mention it, I actually had another question just now! Can you take a user-uploaded decal, (especially a b/w one, or one that uses only one color) and re-color it? Like if I wanted to make it better-gel with a car's main coloration?

Funny you mention it, I actually had another question just now! Can you take a user-uploaded decal, (especially a b/w one, or one that uses only one color) and re-color it? Like if I wanted to make it better-gel with a car's main coloration?
Yes, as long as the uploader has allowed you to re-colour it.

Yes, as long as the uploader has allowed you to re-colour it.

How is this designated? Is it a simple toggle on/off option in the decal uploader's UI? Or is it something in the decal's design itself?

Worth noting that a decal with multiple colors will lose those colors and be one solid color when you change it.
So if you have a square decal with a logo inside it, that logo will disappear.

Opacity settings are maintained interestingly, even when the decal is recoloured.

I've made a series a transparent squares, with varying opacity to try and tint chrome paint different colours. You can repaint them, but they do keep their transparency/opacity.

Does it work? :dopey:

To a degree, but the fact is it just doesn't look as good as it sounds.

If you try and paint anything a shade that is under half way through the V values (i.e. you want a rich dark red chrome) all the hue and saturation values both head towards grey, so you end up losing the colour.

This is how the effect looked, those squares were pure blue, yet they are very pale on the car.

If attached the files if you want to have a try.

Attachments

• trans.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 5
It's mostly all about angling your camera view as the projection method. Play around with this and also the projection area, this is a big feature you'll learn to love.

Sounds good - could you tell me more about these? Like, do you mean stuff like the angle and depth limits for decals?

Sounds good - could you tell me more about these? Like, do you mean stuff like the angle and depth limits for decals?
Well take the Lancer Gr.B or Gr.3 as an example. If you want something on the side of the hood that’s flat like the side of the body, you need to change the projection method to the camera. And if you’ve added decals to the side on your wings, you might’ve noticed they tend to bleed onto the wing itself, then you need to play with the projection area. :)

Well that works very well too. :) But yeah I think my way is a little bit quicker?
Probably a little faster, Certainly better placed for those of use with OCD :lol: Part of the reason I really don't like doing decals by using aligning with camera its all by eye since we don't have a x/y scale to work with, But as for right now I'm playing La Noire for a while probably get back to liveries in a day or 2 :)

Probably a little faster, Certainly better placed for those of use with OCD :lol: Part of the reason I really don't like doing decals by using aligning with camera its all by eye since we don't have a x/y scale to work with, But as for right now I'm playing La Noire for a while probably get back to liveries in a day or 2 :)
I know right! I always position it exactly where I want on top before projecting it through, and then making my final adjustments. All for the convenience of having it juuust right the first time. :D

Thought this is a good place to ask my question, it's probably answered before but I think, one of you guys is able to just confirm or negate this :
On the Viper Gr.4 you cannot place a decal where the rear license plate would sit.

Thought this is a good place to ask my question, it's probably answered before but I think, one of you guys is able to just confirm or negate this :
On the Viper Gr.4 you cannot place a decal where the rear license plate would sit.
Haven't looked at the Viper specifically in a while but the plate area is usually under "Other". I think I was able to put something there.

Haven't looked at the Viper specifically in a while but the plate area is usually under "Other". I think I was able to put something there.
Just checked it, you can't :boggled:

Just checked it, you can't :boggled:

Thanks for the replies, guys 👍.
There's another problem that just popped up, maybe you got an answer for this too.
Tried a couple of times now to set a color with the sliders beneath the color selection. I enter my values and click ok. If I then do a check, the system has changed these numbers slightly. Is there a trick or workaround to keep my inputs ?

Tried a couple of times now to set a color with the sliders beneath the color selection. I enter my values and click ok. If I then do a check, the system has changed these numbers slightly. Is there a trick or workaround to keep my inputs ?
I've noticed that a few times, too. There however seems to be no way to get around it as I think it's got something to do with the conversion of 360° H-value to 0-100% 💡

Back