More misc. questions on the livery editor...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 47 comments
I've noticed that a few times, too. There however seems to be no way to get around it as I think it's got something to do with the conversion of 360° H-value to 0-100% 💡

I'm sure you'd know a workaround if there was one :lol: !
However, hue, saturation and brightness are independent params and only hue is a 360° scale. H wasn't affected though, it's always been S and B that were wrong.
Thanks for your answer - if I find a solution ( unlikely ) I'll let you know ...

It's almost like the colour picker is HSV but the values it's trying to store are being converted to Hex or RGB. I suspect the colourspace used for the editor might be doing some conversion between RGB colour and HSV.. this is doable mathematically, so inevitably there make be some rounding error.

If you want a dull read http://www.niwa.nu/2013/05/math-behind-colorspace-conversions-rgb-hsl/

That seems well possible ... just talked with my TV colleagues about it and they confirmed something similar to your assumption.

I've noticed that a few times, too. There however seems to be no way to get around it as I think it's got something to do with the conversion of 360° H-value to 0-100% 💡

It's almost like the colour picker is HSV but the values it's trying to store are being converted to Hex or RGB. I suspect the colourspace used for the editor might be doing some conversion between RGB colour and HSV.. this is doable mathematically, so inevitably there make be some rounding error.

If you want a dull read http://www.niwa.nu/2013/05/math-behind-colorspace-conversions-rgb-hsl/

Matching colours can be a pain and I suspect the same as MatskiMonk that it's a HSV/B-RGB conversion or rounding issue.

My work around for the colour jumping (and workflow for creating a working palette for new liveries) is as follows:

Step 1. Set the values you want - e.g. 45 55 65 hit ok.

Step 2. Go back into the colour picker, You'll notice that the cursor jumps to the picker and that the newly created chip is not highlighted (this is because the picker is correct but the chip has the wrong values) - Select the new chip then go to the picker, as you'd expect, one or more of the values will be 1 digit out - e.g. 44 55 66 - adjust the figures back to where you want but go one higher/lower - e.g. 46 55 64 hit ok.

Step 3. Repeat Step 2. until you have a chip that's values are correct (this takes a bit of trial and error but you will get there in the end).

Step 4. (This is a good tip if you need to preserve a colour between sessions or want to clear up the recent colours palette to avoid selecting the wrong colour) Paint any part of the car with the correct chip (If working with multiple colours paint multiple areas with the required colour) and Save the livery (I sometimes do a save as and create a 'Palette Car' with colours I need to preserve.

Step 5. Exit the Livery Editor back to the main screen.

Step 6. Open the livery (either the 'Actual' or the 'Palette' version, whichever you painted the car in) then go into the paint selection.

Step 7. Select the area painted in the required colour and open the colours, the cursor should jump to the picker (if it jumps to white then you will need to repeat the above steps again). Open it and hit ok and exit the colours.

Step 8. Re-open the colours and the colour chip should now be selected (You can verify the values to make sure it's correct).

As the livery editor no longer allows you retrieve a custom colour used for a decal this method also helps you retrieve colours between sessions if you need to leave the editor at all. Simply paint any part of the car in the needed colour prior to saving.

In regards to custom colours, so long as you don't exit the Livery Editor the working colour palette is saved between liveries, hence why you can paint a random car in colours you need and use it to retrieve them before opening the livery you're currently working on.

As the livery editor no longer allows you retrieve a custom colour used for a decal this method also helps you retrieve colours between sessions if you need to leave the editor at all. Simply paint any part of the car in the needed colour prior to saving.
So this means I can get a color back from a painted body part? I've never understood why they removed the feature that it can be retreived from a decal :banghead:

So this means I can get a color back from a painted body part? I've never understood why they removed the feature that it can be retreived from a decal :banghead:
Yes, it works the same way and when you used to be able to retrieve colours from decals.

I suspect the removal it was linked to how people were glitching the deep black paint as the feature was never documented and suggests it wasn't supposed to work.

TBH the whole use of colour in the editor is messed up. For a start why are we not using RGB, not only because we're viewing the game via an RGB screen but also because from what I can tell SVG files use RGB?

Secondly now that they've added deep black there's a discrepancy between the game's colour values and custom decal, making colour matching almost impossible. If you use black (HSV 0 0 0) in an SVG it now appears lighter than the game's black which also claims to be 0 0 0, this must impact other colours too meaning you can't necessarily rely on values alone to match.

Yes, it works the same way and when you used to be able to retrieve colours from decals.

I suspect the removal it was linked to how people were glitching the deep black paint as the feature was never documented and suggests it wasn't supposed to work.

TBH the whole use of colour in the editor is messed up. For a start why are we not using RGB, not only because we're viewing the game via an RGB screen but also because from what I can tell SVG files use RGB?

Secondly now that they've added deep black there's a discrepancy between the game's colour values and custom decal, making colour matching almost impossible. If you use black (HSV 0 0 0) in an SVG it now appears lighter than the game's black which also claims to be 0 0 0, this must impact other colours too meaning you can't necessarily rely on values alone to match.

It could be a that the games internal rendering colourspace isn't directly comparable to RGB, and that could be for good reason I guess - given the HDR nature of the game... but this is beyond my understanding.

It could be a that the games internal rendering colourspace isn't directly comparable to RGB, and that could be for good reason I guess - given the HDR nature of the game... but this is beyond my understanding.

Possibly, I do know that when I got my HDR TV, the colours on liveries I created in SDR looked dull despite being bright on the old screen. I guess it's a case that the game works with a safe 'middle ground' of colours that can be seen in both formats. It just doesn't make sense that there now appears to be two colourspaces on the go at the same time, you'd have thought they'd tweak it so that black (0 0 0) is consistent in all places.

Before the 'Deep Black' update, the game's black (0 0 0) matched the SVG's black (0 0 0). After the first 'Deep Black' update (where it was only a paint option) SVG black (0 0 0) still matched the coloured decal black (0 0 0) but not the paint black (the lighter shade registers as something like 0 0 8 IIRC). Now paint and coloured decal blacks both register as 0 0 0 and the SVG black appears to be 0 0 8.

It's just a bit jarring if you place a custom decal with black elements next to a shape or logo you've coloured black using the colour option. The only solution I can think of at the moment is to make all black parts of an SVG transparent and place a black decal underneath but this is unsuitable for most designs where you have various layers on top of each other.

I've also thought about defining HSV/B values in the SVG itself but they don't appear to be part of the specification. Supported types only appear to include, Colour Name (from the specified W3C list or pre-defined colours), RGB or Hex values. Regardless of that, according to Photoshop, HSB (0 0 0) RGB (0 0 0) and #000000 are all the same so should produce the same result anyway.

Much like we touched on the idea of decals being rendered to a raster image prior to application I suspect this affects the colour too and that whatever format the decals are rendered to, can't handle the same colourspace.

I had another question, but it's not just applicable to the livery editor as much as it's for uploading any content, including photos and replays. Let's say I upload something, share it so that others can use my livery/see my photo or video, and then delete it from my library to free up space. That won't retroactively prevent others from viewing/using the livery/media I already uploaded, right?

I had a couple more questions lately:

-Why do some wheels have a little number (usually a 1 or 2) in the upper-right corner?

-On the Hyundai VGT, how does the racing sticker appear on it in an FIA race? I'm asking because it seems to only let me pick between having no racing number at all, the stylized number that it typically comes with, or a sticker that resembles a red square with a number in it that I'd pick like any other sticker. When stickers are enforced (e.g. GT League or an FIA race), does the Hyundai VGT get a sticker that's similar to the one every other car is using, or does it get that red square?

EDIT: I may have found out what's with that second question - I think it's just the standard Gr.1 racing number. It doesn't seem like Gr.1 cars get a wide variety of racing number sticker designs like the other classes, but I suppose that could make sense in a way. I saw a video of someone doing an online race and it looked like this other Gr.1 car had the same sort of sticker - a red square with a white number.

Last edited:
I had a couple more questions lately:

-Why do some wheels have a little number (usually a 1 or 2) in the upper-right corner?

-On the Hyundai VGT, how does the racing sticker appear on it in an FIA race? I'm asking because it seems to only let me pick between having no racing number at all, the stylized number that it typically comes with, or a sticker that resembles a red square with a number in it that I'd pick like any other sticker. When stickers are enforced (e.g. GT League or an FIA race), does the Hyundai VGT get a sticker that's similar to the one every other car is using, or does it get that red square?

EDIT: I may have found out what's with that second question - I think it's just the standard Gr.1 racing number. It doesn't seem like Gr.1 cars get a wide variety of racing number sticker designs like the other classes, but I suppose that could make sense in a way. I saw a video of someone doing an online race and it looked like this other Gr.1 car had the same sort of sticker - a red square with a white number.

The « 1 » or « 2 » on some wheels indicates that the wheel size can be increased by 1 or 2 inches more than the standard size.

The standard number panel for Gr.1 is indeed this red square. It is easier to put it on a livery without looking messy.

Also worth noting that all cars get the same numberplate design in the FIA GT Nations Cup / Manufacturer Series. I do realize there aren’t any Gr.1 races in those FIA races but that is subject to change when the official first season kicks off.

I had another question lately. If I remove a livery/photo/etc. from "my collection" or on the official site, is it also removed from any respective favorites folders I may've placed it into? It'd be convenient if so.

I had another question lately. If I remove a livery/photo/etc. from "my collection" or on the official site, is it also removed from any respective favorites folders I may've placed it into? It'd be convenient if so.
Why don't you try?

It stays in your favourites folder even if you remove it from your collection, unless that's changed with a recent update.

Back