More Open Wheel Cars? (WITH POLL)

• Thread starter Afrodeezy
  • 118 comments

Should GT6 include more open wheel cars?

• Yes

Votes: 187 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • As Long as the X1 returns I'll be satisfied

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
United States
California
Afrodeezy7
As diverse as the car selection in GT5 is (albeit with a few hundred skylines, and way too many Mazda roadsters) I believe the big hole in the car selection is open wheel cars. The only three I can think of are the F2007, F10, & FGT (I don't really consider the Caterham 7 an open wheel car, even though you can see the wheels turning from the cockpit view).

Am I the only one who feels that GT6 needs more open wheel cars? I understand that due to licensing issues they can't include more official F1 cars, but what about GP2, GP3, Formula 3000, Formula Renault, Formula BMW, Formula Ford etc.? And if they can't add official F1 cars, why not add more original Formula cars like the FGT? How about originals based on those feeder series I mentioned?

I really enjoy driving open wheel cars, and I hope to see more in GT6

Last edited:
Formula Fords would make a great addition to the GT franchise.
They provide close racing and are fairly quick.
They would have to run in their own class though.

At the very least I'd like to see more fictional openwheel cars from PD

Formula 100 - 225 HP 4 Cylinder 7,000 RPM / 650 KGs - 50/50 Downforce

Formula 200 - 450 HP HP V6 10,000 RPM / 600 KGs 125/125 Downforce

Formula GT - 800 HP V10 16,000 RPM / 550 KGs / 150/200 Downforce

Earth
At the very least I'd like to see more fictional openwheel cars from PD

Formula 100 - 225 HP 4 Cylinder 7,000 RPM / 650 KGs - 50/50 Downforce

Formula 200 - 450 HP HP V6 10,000 RPM / 600 KGs 125/125 Downforce

Formula GT - 800 HP V10 16,000 RPM / 550 KGs / 150/200 Downforce

I really like this idea. If they can't add official Formula cars, I can deal with fictional ones so long as they're somewhat similar to their real life counterparts.

Yes please, as Open Wheel cars are usually the only type of cars I actually use the cockpit views with.

RacerPaul
No open wheels cars please, that should be left to F1 games etc

this is GT we're talking here, after all

What is your point? Why shouldn't they include open wheel cars because the game is called Gran Turismo? Please clarify..

Last edited:
No need to be so aggressive 👎

You're aware of the meaning of GT and its meaning in relation to cars yes?

Thats my point

RacerPaul
No need to be so aggressive 👎

You're aware of the meaning of GT and its meaning in relation to cars yes?

Thats my point

Okay, I understand that, but it doesn't mean open wheel cars don't have a place

Different variations of the FGT with different fictional teams would work. After all, we have Codemaster's F1 games.

Are you aware that the GT series already had open wheel cars? Open wheel cars, as far as I can recall, have been in GT since the 3rd release (Formula Gran Turismo). This thread is asking if there should be more open wheel cars in Gran Turismo 6. I think so because Gran Turismo covers a wide range of licensed racing series. So why not Formula 1 (or something similar)?

A GT game with not official GT license. Where is FIA GT1? Where is European GT3? Where is GTOpen? And I could go on forever..

GT is just a name here, doesn't necessary means the car included in the game. GTR2 was much more GT related than Gran Turismo. Don't tell me the advertised X2010 is a GT car...

More open wheelers PLEASE. Formula Nippon, Formula BMW, Formula 3, Formula Ford, Old Vintage, 90' fictional car like Formula Armaroli, a bunch of Vintage Lotus like rFactor 2...

From another thread where I briefly summarized my thoughts. Earth has similar ideas.
For formula cars, it might be best to have PD create formula cars (like the FGT) and couple them with the paint shop and a possible livery editor. I imagine:
"Formula 250" - based on modern F3, 250 hp, 550 kg
"Formula 400" - based on basic mid-level formula cars, 400 hp, 600-650 kg
"Formula Sport" or "Formula Clubman" - based on modern GP2, 600 hp, 650-700 kg, could double as Indy cars
"Formula GT" - based on modern F1, 750 hp, 600 kg
All would be paintable, numbers can be changed, etc. I think this would better than PD overworking to try to get licensed formula cars into the game and not having any customization for them.

GT means nothing, it's a name. Pick Up trucks, SUV's, F1, X1, LMP, K cars. GT has never been about GT. It's been about racing.

I'd like to get more F1 and some of the lower tier open wheels cars. FSAE would be really, really nice and really, really unlikely.

In a perfect world we would have every championship winning f1 car from year 1 to as new as they can get away with. Generic liveries but multiple colours.... or, catch up with forza and get us a livery editor.

HKS racer
A GT game with not official GT license. Where is FIA GT1? Where is European GT3? Where is GTOpen? And I could go on forever..

GT is just a name here, doesn't necessary means the car included in the game. GTR2 was much more GT related than Gran Turismo. Don't tell me the advertised X2010 is a GT car...

More open wheelers PLEASE. Formula Nippon, Formula BMW, Formula 3, Formula Ford, Old Vintage, 90' fictional car like Formula Armaroli, a bunch of Vintage Lotus like rFactor 2...
Couldn't agree more with this^^

SagarisGTB
From another thread where I briefly summarized my thoughts. Earth has similar ideas.
These are also great ideas, I'd actually prefer PD to go with something like this. Instead of chasing licenses, they can still make us open wheel guys happy by putting some originals in.

Not to call you out personally but as an example of a few people who seem to have this view. Even though GT3 had awesome F1 cars inspired by the '86-'94 monsters driven by Senna, Mansell and Hill... even though GT4 had the awesome Formula Gran Turismo and then GT5 had that plus two Ferrari F1 cars. All of which were awesome and made me keep coming back to GT even at times when other aspects were really letting me down.

Sorry, but no - I think a lot of people would be livid if open wheeled cars were dropped from GT6. Some of us have been quite unimpressed by Codemasters' treatment of F1. If we continued only having the Formula Gran Turismo that would be acceptable but I think they could do much more (Formula Nippon *at least*). And PLEASE don't make the FGT "modern" by giving it a smaller engine with less horsepower. I like the idea that it is "unrestricted" even though it still has less than half the aero that the Ferrari F1 does.

FormulaKimball
Not to call you out personally but as an example of a few people who seem to have this view. Even though GT3 had awesome F1 cars inspired by the '86-'94 monsters driven by Senna, Mansell and Hill... even though GT4 had the awesome Formula Gran Turismo and then GT5 had that plus two Ferrari F1 cars. All of which were awesome and made me keep coming back to GT even at times when other aspects were really letting me down.

I'd love to see the Senna/Hill/Mansell/Prost type cars in a modern GT game. That would be honestly great 👍

FormulaKimball
Sorry, but no - I think a lot of people would be livid if open wheeled cars were dropped from GT6. Some of us have been quite unimpressed by Codemasters' treatment of F1. If we continued only having the Formula Gran Turismo that would be acceptable but I think they could do much more (Formula Nippon *at least*). And PLEASE don't make the FGT "modern" by giving it a smaller engine with less horsepower. I like the idea that it is "unrestricted" even though it still has less than half the aero that the Ferrari F1 does.

I would be quite livid if they completely dropped open wheel cars from GT6 :grumpy:

I agree with the FGT statement. It's bad enough F1 is downsizing to turbocharged V6's, I don't need my virtual cars to take the same step down.

The various FIA Formulas would be a nice addition along with IndyCar's new Dallara chassis would also be welcomed, I'm sure.

Callumfromleeds
I would love for Formula 3 to be included, also some of the older Formula 1 cars.

Unfortunately the older F1 cars aren't really a possibility (unless PD makes originals of them) because of the licensing involved.

Unfortunately the older F1 cars aren't really a possibility (unless PD makes originals of them) because of the licensing involved.

That worked fine in GT3. I know some people disagree, but I don't see anything wrong with fantasy cars. Fantasy does not mean unrealistic, not in the slightest. And if you can't get the real thing, is having a replica worse than having nothing?

Back