More Open Wheel Cars? (WITH POLL)

• Thread starter Afrodeezy
  • 118 comments

Should GT6 include more open wheel cars?

• Yes

Votes: 187 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • As Long as the X1 returns I'll be satisfied

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
Sorry to thread bump but holy crap, just saw a documentary that showed footage at the Nurburgring from 1937 which featured Grand Prix cars from Mercedes and Auto Union and Porsche which were "approaching 320kph" (198mph) and were also mid-engined.

Not sure I should embed it so just go to YT and find Secret Life Of F1 - part 2, then go to the 33:58 mark.

Ok, now I officially want these older GP cars in GT6 :) Also the 1993 Williams with active suspension that keeps the car always at the right ride height...

Sorry to thread bump but holy crap, just saw a documentary that showed footage at the Nurburgring from 1937 which featured Grand Prix cars from Mercedes and Auto Union and Porsche which were "approaching 320kph" (198mph) and were also mid-engined.

Not sure I should embed it so just go to YT and find Secret Life Of F1 - part 2, then go to the 33:58 mark.

Ok, now I officially want these older GP cars in GT6 :) Also the 1993 Williams with active suspension that keeps the car always at the right ride height...

In the 1940's those F1 cars reached speeds of 240mph+ (390
kph+)

Although they did those speeds on tracks such as Avus and Monza Speedway.

The fastest F1 car back then was the Auto Union reaching past 255mph+ (415kph+) Even today an F1 car has never been that fast. The latest present speed record for modern F1 was 246mph (400kph) achived by Kimi Rikonen.

Racing was ground to a halt in 1939 unfortunately, and didn't really pick up again until 1946, the GP cars of this period were merely a shadow of the Silver Arrows of the mid 1930s. The late 1940s were dominated by the Italian teams, who rose from WW2's ashes.

1937 was the last year of the dry-weight 750kg formula, the Mercedes W125 of that year was the most powerful GP car ever built (646hp) until the Turbo Era, far later. Very high speeds were reached in this era at tracks like Monza, Reims, Pescara, Brno, Nurburgring, Bremgarten, and of course Spa-Francorchamps. The Avus and land speed record cars of that era were faster still. Around 260-270mph was reached by those on Germany's young autobahn in closed-road, land speed record attempts.

The Silver Arrows were astonishing to spectators of that period; they were more like spaceships than traditional racing cars. It is a shame that almost no game developer wants to feature these cars. When I first saw images of the Auto Union C Streamliner in GT4 it excited me. But I was also disappointed that PD chose to include this car instead of its open-wheeled counterpart. Sure, they let you practice with the car on the Nurburgring, but that car wasn't really suited for that. The steering was severely limited by the enclosed wheel arches, built for top speed.

So I have hope that PD will come to their senses and include a GP car from this period, instead of such a specialized piece of machinery that is the Type C Streamliner. However, in reality, the chances are probably about as good as a snowball surviving a drop into a volcano.

Racing was ground to a halt in 1939 unfortunately, and didn't really pick up again until 1946, the GP cars of this period were merely a shadow of the Silver Arrows of the mid 1930s. The late 1940s were dominated by the Italian teams, who rose from WW2's ashes.

1937 was the last year of the dry-weight 750kg formula, the Mercedes W125 of that year was the most powerful GP car ever built (646hp) until the Turbo Era, far later. Very high speeds were reached in this era at tracks like Monza, Reims, Pescara, Brno, Nurburgring, Bremgarten, and of course Spa-Francorchamps. The Avus and land speed record cars of that era were faster still. Around 260-270mph was reached by those on Germany's young autobahn in closed-road, land speed record attempts.

The Silver Arrows were astonishing to spectators of that period; they were more like spaceships than traditional racing cars. It is a shame that almost no game developer wants to feature these cars. When I first saw images of the Auto Union C Streamliner in GT4 it excited me. But I was also disappointed that PD chose to include this car instead of its open-wheeled counterpart. Sure, they let you practice with the car on the Nurburgring, but that car wasn't really suited for that. The steering was severely limited by the enclosed wheel arches, built for top speed.

So I have hope that PD will come to their senses and include a GP car from this period, instead of such a specialized piece of machinery that is the Type C Streamliner. However, in reality, the chances are probably about as good as a snowball surviving a drop into a volcano.

Jeez i never knew they went 270mph+ on the atobahn and did speed records there!

The coolest thing to happen in GT6 would be to Pull up next to an X1 at 250mph and then overtake him in these old F1 cars and stick your middle finger up at them, as the X1 seriously deserves insulting acts. I may have 4 X1's but I still hate them.

Decided to make my own list, I will add more later

F862/C (Lotus 25)
F878/A (Lotus 79)
F278/L (Brabham BT46B)
F004/S (Ferrari F2004)
F809/B (Brawn BGP 001)
F811/V (Red Bull RB7)

A simulator with no open wheelers is not a simulator.

You need to have at least one or two classes. One as a "trainer" just to learn the basics of driving (and like most simulators you should make some kind of "licence tests" but working as a school) and then when you finish with the trainer you can use better open wheelers like Formula 3000/Ford/BMW/Cossworth/Renault...and so on.

PD did well with the licence test in GT4 but failed badly in GT5 by not giving it the relevance that had in GT4. It was the first thing that i did it in GT5 before starting with all the A-Spec events. I "golded" everything before start with the actual game (A and B Spec)

GTR2 on PC has a great school/licence tests with some great cars and open wheelers. And you actually learn to drive. Same happens with GT4/5 but simulation in one game to the other changes of course.

Never played GT3 (i played the first GT and then the 2nd but missed the 3rd, i still have GT4 and 5 of course...why remove good old F1 cars...has nothing to do with licence because those cars were based in real ones but different livery's...PD and their weird decisions...)

A simulator with no open wheelers is not a simulator.

You need to have at least one or two classes. One as a "trainer" just to learn the basics of driving (and like most simulators you should make some kind of "licence tests" but working as a school) and then when you finish with the trainer you can use better open wheelers like Formula 3000/Ford/BMW/Cossworth/Renault...and so on.

PD did well with the licence test in GT4 but failed badly in GT5 by not giving it the relevance that had in GT4. It was the first thing that i did it in GT5 before starting with all the A-Spec events. I "golded" everything before start with the actual game (A and B Spec)

GTR2 on PC has a great school/licence tests with some great cars and open wheelers. And you actually learn to drive. Same happens with GT4/5 but simulation in one game to the other changes of course.

Never played GT3 (i played the first GT and then the 2nd but missed the 3rd, i still have GT4 and 5 of course...why remove good old F1 cars...has nothing to do with licence because those cars were based in real ones but different livery's...PD and their weird decisions...)

we do have 3 open wheel cars you know

we do have 3 open wheel cars you know

And the use of them are great too you know...:dopey:

People trying to avoid what we need saying what we already have is enough i must say that they are wrong (you don´t but others do)...and also...you missed my point trying to be the "clever" guy with that simple and non sense reply.

Cheers.

More variations of the fgt would satisfy me. Gt3 had about 4 different fgts, with turbo’s ect.
Indycars would also be a welcomed addition in my eyes along with skip barber, star mazda GP2 or some other feeder series to the f1 cars.

Jahgee1124
Decided to make my own list, I will add more later

F862/C (Lotus 25)
F878/A (Lotus 79)
F278/L (Brabham BT46B)
F004/S (Ferrari F2004)
F809/B (Brawn BGP 001)
F811/V (Red Bull RB7)

I'd like all of these cars actually (at least the originals). All cars with good (and sometimes controversial) history

I always thought a few fictional f1 performance cars with varying paint layouts with the base layer paintable would be nice. Maybe you could change aero kits at gt auto to change the front and rear spoiler to change its aerodynamic characteristics (drag vs downforce). It would be great for a racing series.

I would love to see some F1s from the V10 era. Even if PD could ONLY put the F2004 in. I'm sure it would sound great, even if GT6 would still use vacuum cleaner sounds :lol:

XXI
Specifically Vintage, and Low HP versions.

I totally agree with you.
I watched a GP3 race at hugaroring and that was genuinely exciting, as much as F1 itself.
The vintage F1 racing would be memorable sliding a 30 or 40 year old racer, how cool is that! :)

Absolutely!

img01.jpg

Completely agree, in fact the only console game I can think of which at least featured one of these cars (the Mercedes W25) was Toca Race Driver 3 by Codemasters and which was one of the reasons I bought it for the PS2.
Really wanted to love that game but I never did, unconvincing physics and graphics made sure that every time I gave it another try, I removed the disc and continued playing GT4.
It did also include Formula Fords which were fun though (and I loved racing those big trucks as well).

IMHO, paying a tribute for the most relevant f1 car ever created, for instance, the Tyrrel 6 wheeler, Braham fan car, Nagel Mansel's Williams,... would be quite of addition, but, I believe that would quite of hard work for PD too.

Completely agree, in fact the only console game I can think of which at least featured one of these cars (the Mercedes W25) was Toca Race Driver 3 by Codemasters and which was one of the reasons I bought it for the PS2.
Really wanted to love that game but I never did, unconvincing physics and graphics made sure that every time I gave it another try, I removed the disc and continued playing GT4.
It did also include Formula Fords which were fun though (and I loved racing those big trucks as well).

Yeah, those braking distances are pretty sweet for such skinny tires and drum brakes.
new5_muttley.gif

:lol: :lol:

Mate, the 86 Benetton has the 1.5l straight 4 engine, but no, it has only 1 turbo and is therefore not a twin turbo. BMW has never built one with twin turbos. If you mean the Megatron engines....no, they didn't have that much power because they had a boost maximum of 4 bars due to regulations.

Check this wonderful site: http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html
(fyi, the dyno run was done with "only" 3.30bar boost and he didn't rev it to the max.... (they set it at 11'000rpm for races and about 12'000 for qualify, but I'm not too sure about the last number.)

+
Yes, it says 1981, but BMW did never change the concept.
BMW_F1_Engine_M12_M13.JPG
Thank you for sharing the link... It's amazing!

For a open wheel car, i would be ok with GT making some cars from different classes like the most mentioned, but as well with F1 based cars, GT coming out with cars that fit into the regulations of current and perhaps previous years, like releasing a DLC for each year of new car at most $2, with matching driver suits as well.

They could have the car's own name and own paint theme to go along with current f1 seasons. Could have some names like GT01, GT02 and so on, maybe covering the years such as GT12. Maybe they could have brought in red bull cars as there was Adrian Newey Creating the X2010, but no F1 cars from him

Maybe you can include Indycars as well as classic Grand Prix cars and Formula 1 and other open wheel cars in GT6 because it's high time we have some Indycars in the game for our American users as well as the world.

Back